Blending impasto...

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Blending impasto...

Hello all,

just a quick Q, sorry if this has already been covered, I did do a search and never came up with anything, so here goes:

I really like the impasto effects on the artists oils, but can I blend them ? when I try to use a blender it only blends the colours, I want to blend the actual impasto texture AND the colour. Is this possible

Thanks guys

Steve H

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you tried changing the RESAT setting of the impasto brush to 0 and use it to blend?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Nafa,

Yeah that sort of works... What I really want tho is a blender that will blend in the texture of the impasto along WITH the colour.

All the blenders seem to only work on the colour, and have no effect on the impasto texture at all.

If you use Artists Oils then select the impasto oil brush… then lay down some colour with that, you get a really nice impasto texture, just like real oils… but now try to blend it with one of the blenders and you'll find that the colour blends but the impasto effect does not, it stays the same, its totally unnatural and I end up turning it off.

So yes, by reducing the Resat or Grain you can blend it in, some, but i'd like more control over it than that, I don’t want to have to put colour down to get that blended effect on the impasto. Like I say I would really like it to work on a blender, I mean thats what they are for right?

Steve h

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I found a solution using a blender variant. With the blender of your choice selected goto brush creator/impasto then chose colour AND DEPTH then set the depth to about 80.

This way you can blend the colour and the depth (impasto) information, seems like the defalts on the blenders only deal with colour and not depth.

Problem solved

Steve h

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    steve-h,

The Artist's Oils variants that include the word Blender in their names do blend, but only blend color (as do some of the other Artist's Oils variants).

If you want to blend both color and Impasto depth, you'll need to use one of the Artist's Oils variants that also interacts with Impasto depth.

The following Artist's Oils' variants blend both color and Impasto depth in Artist's Oils brushstrokes:

• Wet Oily Impasto
    • Wet Impasto
    • Thick Wet Impasto
    • Soft Grainy Impasto
    • Smeary Impasto
    • Impasto Palette Knife
    • Impasto Oil
    • Grainy Impasto
    • Dry Clumpy Impasto
    • Bristle Brush

The Impasto's Depth Smear variant can also be used to blend both color and Impasto depth in Impasto variant brushstrokes, in brushstrokes painted using other brush category variants that are set to use Impasto brush controls for Draw to: Depth or Color and Depth, and in Artist's Oils variant brushstrokes. This variant will remove any texture in the brushstroke, however, and you may not want such a strong effect in every case.

nafa,

Resat only controls the amount of color in the brushstroke. It does not control, or affect, Impasto depth.

Also:

In the context of his post above, steve-h is using Artist's Oils variants, not Impasto variants. For many, if not all, Artist's Oils variants, the Well section controls are greyed out (that includes Resat/Resaturation).

As you'll see above, only one Impasto variant can be used on Artist's Oils variants to blend both color and Impasto depth.

Some of the other Impasto variants can be used to edit Impasto depth in any brush variant's brushstrokes made with a brush variant that uses Impasto brush controls for the Draw to: Depth or Depth and Color options. One of the Impasto variants, Depth and Color Eraser is used, as it's name says, to erase both Impasto depth and color.

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-h
    Ok I found a solution using a blender variant. With the blender of your choice selected goto brush creator/impasto then chose colour AND DEPTH then set the depth to about 80.

This way you can blend the colour and the depth (impasto) information, seems like the defalts on the blenders only deal with colour and not depth.

Problem solved

Steve h
    Good job, Steve!

This is a good example of why it pays to study and adjust brush controls, rather than accept the (sometimes) limitations of default brush variant settings.

Jinny

Last edited by Jin; September 18th, 2005 at 02:53 PM.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Hello Jinny,

Thanks a lot for the info, very helpfull. I am still learning about the brush creator controls, and each time I find something new it adds a new dimension to what is possible in Painter. Thanks for taking to time for a more thorough explanation.

Steve h

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.