Thanks

Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex

So I just finished watching the first series of Stand Alone Complex, and I loved it! Definetly one of the best things I have seen in an episodic format. I guess they have a second series running now, but I haven't seen any of those yet.

Anyone else happen to watch this animated goodness??

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I watched the first series some time ago and loved it too. Watching episodes of the 2nd gig as they are released at the moment, it's pretty interesting so far.
    /fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    I only have volumes 1,3, and 5. I need to fill those gaps. My Farscape collection is in the same condition.

But yeah, they really did a good job on them. Entertaining as all heck.

Thanks
    yeah I think its pretty cool, good to see the major in action! I haven't seen the whole series, but I would highly suggest that you DONT buy any jap version with eng subtitles, they are by far the worst translations I've ever seen. wait for the eng dub.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JackalAnubis
    yeah I think its pretty cool, good to see the major in action! I haven't seen the whole series, but I would highly suggest that you DONT buy any jap version with eng subtitles, they are by far the worst translations I've ever seen. wait for the eng dub.
    I am actually holding off on the Ghost in The Shell Innocence movie to be dubbed in English. I think they are doing it in Europe in Ocotber, with the same cast and everything.....

Thanks
    I loved this bloody show. Even the dub wasn't terrible when it was on Cartoon Network. I absolutely loved the cell shaded CG that was integrated for vehicles, props, etc. Its a beautiful translation of Shirow's work. If anyone has read the manga, its a breath of fresh air since the comic is a bit heavy handed plot-wise, and confusing. Plus the character treatment is a little bit more stream lined and stylish in the show. I love the design in everything, and the story going from stand-alone episodes to the continuing plot episodes. I actually understood the story more clearly in the subtitled version rather than the dub.

Really a bautiful and entertaining show, sexy and full of attitude.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    This is one of my favorite animations. The animation is done flawlessly, and there are some really deep philosophical metaphors in every episode, especially the Laughing Man episodes, those were by far what made it such nice entertainment. I saw a lot of parallels between philosophical studies on empiricism and identity and the laughing man episodes, such a the concept of there being copies with no original. Really dope shit.
    Strange coincidence that every man whose skull has been opened had a brain.

Thanks
    What you have seen it I'm well jealous dude, I love that anime I only have the film and the stand alone complex game, the game is kinda like oni but there is less moves and it has better graphics and story to.

Thanks

such a nice thread...

...and here comes the bastard who bashes it

I guess it would've been alright for me to watch this series if i had never watched innocence, but seeing Batou all beefed up schwartznegger like, with the ocassional moronic grin, and them tachickomas talking like some 10-year old anime girl, i just had to look away.
    It's got some great action scenes, i'll give you that, but this thing rips up the mood of the movies so bad i just can't bear it.
    I guess the series holds true to it's name, 'cause if i could watch it as a stand alone story, i probably wouldn't complain, but like this... i just can't.

Also, about dubbing, you people obviously can read so what's your problem with watching the real version of this thing?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by K-17
    Also, about dubbing, you people obviously can read so what's your problem with watching the real version of this thing?
    I hate having to look away from beautiful animation, cinematography or fight coreography when I'm watching a foriegn film. I know voiveovers can be unbearably corny but in my oppinion their worth it.

Thanks
    It's way too good. I like it much more than the movies. Go watch the 2nd series too. It's as good or even better than the first.
    ...+1 exp

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by K-17
    I guess the series holds true to it's name, 'cause if i could watch it as a stand alone story, i probably wouldn't complain, but like this... i just can't.
    Then don't watch it! LOL

Most people get their first taste of GITS thru the first feature animation. Bearing in mind that was directed by Mamoru Oshii, the 36 dan grandmaster of slow moving, dark, moody, politically charged and well slow moving films. If anyone has see the original MANGA, Masamune Shirow's initial concept of the Fuchikomas and Section 9 are much much closer to Standalone Complex's presentation. So if you wanna talk about being "original", SAC's setting is more true to what was originally thought up by Shirow-sama rather than the first and 2nd movies which were closer to what Mamoru Oshii usually does (ie wreck every cool franchise kidding kidding).

The Tachikomas are indeed 10-yr olds. They're babies in AI sense anyway....if you take the time to watch a few of the more boring episodes and consider the amount of philosophy that went into their discussions about their existence and their purpose. You can read those in Issac Asimov's books too, but Shirow made it cool-er with GITS.

I read the translated manga (both chinese and english translations) a good 3 years before the movie premiered and I loved both extremes of it. Mamoru Oshii has done a brilliant job adapting the GITS universe to his style of storytelling and Shirow's original concept was a bright and humourous world with a flip side of the dark underground movements showing contrast of the 2 worlds that section 9 had to exist in to do their jobs. Mamoru Oshii ditched the bright lights and went totally dark.

In fact in the 2nd SAC series, they took more references from the manga, bringing in supporting characters from the manga into the story arc...in case anyone wants to know where Major Kusanagi knows all those minor supporting characters come from and have not read the manga.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    yeah the new GITS SAC 2nd GIG, looks great though certain episode, the drawing looks kinda funky but not losing the flare of the series.

I've watched GITS Innocence.. i need to see it again.

i definately prefer GITS SAC, the characters are way cooler as in the teamates.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    Then don't watch it!
    I wouldn't have said it if i didn't want to like it. But i don't like it.

Thanks

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by JackalAnubis
    Nothing wrong with the odd "mass naked child incident" or the phrase "versatile multilegged tank" used as an interjection!

GITSAC is, IMHO, a brilliant piece of speculative social science fiction. As soon as I worked out who the laughing man is, SAC goes from entertainment to something that kept me up at night. Afternoon of the Machines and the whole Flowers for Algernon subplot is just icing on the cake. Though it really does help if you have done a bit of reading on the right topics beforehand.

I'm slowly working my way through GiG2
    Can anybody please tell me what it stands for?

Thanks
    Those takimoto bots are so darn cute. I love the series. I was totally lost when I watch the films, but after the series and rewatch the film, things are making better sense.

Thanks

btw

Reading back on those posts, i think i might have overstated.
    I didn't mean to say i hate the series, or that i'd refuse to watch it. If it was aired around here, or if someone walked up to me and put the DVDs in front of me, then sure. It just doesn't get me interested enough to go out and seek to get it.
    From what i've seen so far, anyway.

Thanks
    Dude, its no big deal. I'm often ridiculed in a mecha forum for my distaste of the new Gundams preferring the older series (everything after Universal Century is crap )
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    Dude, its no big deal. I'm often ridiculed in a mecha forum for my distaste of the new Gundams preferring the older series (everything after Universal Century is crap )
    .....mecha forum?! Is there such a thing? Where would I find such a wonderland?
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I just finished watching the 2nd gig of Ghost in the Shell. Honestly I think I came in my pants and cried at the same time... and yes, it sorta hurt.

Currently I'm tearing my hair out for a 3rd season.

...I have a sketchbook?