Thanks

Lightbulb "Art School" on BBC2

Anyone who lives in the UK might have heared of this, the TV programme "Art School" Have you seen it?

TV Series in which Tutors at Chelsea College of Art and Design put journalist John Humphrys; TV personalities Ulrika Jonsson and Clarissa Dickson-Wright; actor Keith Allen; and Radio 1 DJ Nihal Arthanayake through their paces in an intensive two week art course. In just two weeks they must transform themselves from novices into exhibiting artists. We see the fruits of their first five days' labour as they struggle with drawing, sculpture and painting.
    Im not sure how long its been on, or how many are left but they are on again next week on BBC 2, the dates are:

Art School Mon Sep 19 6:00 PM
    Art School Tue Sep 20 6:00 PM
    Art School Wed Sep 21 6:00 PM.

Whilst they explore a side of art I am not paticularly intrested in, modern art for instance, watching their stuggle to grasp the concepts, trying to learn the skills of painting, sculpture, collage, ect was great to watch. I am trying to learn to draw, to paint, and at times its so frustrating, to feel as though i will never be able to do it and that there is no point in even trying. When you see these 'celebreties' at their lows, moaning and growning, 'I cant do this' and 'I cant do that'. You just want to shout at them,, "C'mon, less of the questiong more of the doing!" You soon realise that you to fall into the same pot holes they do.

My point is, if you are having difficulties with your lack of skill, look the programme up, watch how they fall into their lows, and how they crawl their way out, it might just make it easier for you to do the same. If not, well its just pretty good TV

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I dont have BBC 2 but I like how they have shows that focus on art. Not like CNN....

Thanks
    Man I always miss this show, I'll try to watch it when it's next on.

Thanks
    i find it more amusing than interesting. It also just strengthens my abomination for the british system of art "teaching". I'm not quite like John Humphrys in his dislike for all things modern, but i can sympathise with a number of things he has said.

Thanks
    Yeh, i got what he was saying. And if i was put in his position i don't know how i would have reacted. I couldnt help but think, that even if you dont understand it, he could try and have a little fun. Though i guess thats a easier said than done.

The hardest thing for them (and me too I guess) is whilst on a high note, after finaly learning how to do the thing they have been striving to do, is to come to yet another barrier. Then to get over that, and find another, you just got to think, will it ever stop? I guess the answer is no, only the distance between the barriers increase

It was on again last night, unfortunately I missed most of it
    But what I saw, it seems that every episode, their attitudes change. I know thats to be expected, but at the end of last nights Ulrika was really fed up, in the advert for the next, they say she has and epiphany! Well we shall see, on again tonight at 6.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Just started on beeb 2 if anyones interested.