Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Finally Landed An Art Job!...

Some of those who have been on this board for awhile may know me and perhaps even of my plight over the years. Married, kids, deciding not to move away from family, and still trying to find an art related job in my area...York, PA. Darn near impossible!

HOWEVER, that has finally changed! Today was my first day with The Beistle Company as an artist/illustrator! So, I get paid to draw and paint all day!!! WOOT! It's been a long time coming for me so I feel like spreadin' it around a bit. I'm looking forward to seeing my skills improve over the next few years what's ahead. Just thought I'd share for any who are interested, and ENCOURAGE those of you out there still looking!

Keep working hard, don't give up on your dream! Do what is necessary to make it happen and it will. Don't let up! You will one day be rewarded for your perserverance. You may not have the "dream" job, but just to work in some capacity in the industry is a blessing. How many people out there can say that they do something even CLOSE to what they want to do? Not many! So fight the good fight people! If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone!
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    congratulations!

Thanks
    I haven't been on this board for long, but I feel your (past) pain! I agree, finding a job that encourages your development as an artist deserves a beer!

*hands Smeagol71 a stein of suds*

Congrats!

Thanks
    Congrats!

Btw thanks for gracing us with your presence...NOW POSt some work !

-JtJ
    Last edited by JoshuaTheJames; September 20th, 2005 at 09:22 AM.

Thanks
    Way to go! We're all proud of you.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Well done, you'll find that once you have your foot in the door, these types of jobs are much easier to score, congrats.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol71
    How many people out there can say that they do something even CLOSE to what they want to do? Not many!
    Damn straight.
    Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Congratulations Smeagol!

BTW.. I just got MY first art job too! I am an artist/animator at a cell phone video game company It's not much, but it's a start! I'm also going to an animation school this October to learn 3D animation, and I'm attending a fine art school to brush up on my life drawing.

I just got hired last week!

Again, way to go!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerD
    Congratulations Smeagol!

BTW.. I just got MY first art job too! I am an artist/animator at a cell phone video game company It's not much, but it's a start! I'm also going to an animation school this October to learn 3D animation, and I'm attending a fine art school to brush up on my life drawing.

I just got hired last week!

Again, way to go!
    congrats to you too!

Thanks
    this thread makes me so happy I feel like dancing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    this thread makes me so happy I feel like dancing.
    I second that, way to go guys! =D

Thanks
    Congrats to you both! That's fantastic!

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Wow, I feel the love! Heh heh. And hearing news from others is fantastic as well.

Congrats to you as well ParkerD! And you are exactly right, it's a start and getting the ball rolling is sometimes 90% of the battle!

And Elwell, I am remembering when I was young and I'm shining like the sun! Heh heh.

And Magic Man, your statements are not only greatly appreciated but even more encouraging!!! Booyah!

JJames...been a busy man my friend. But yes, as soon as I get approval in the coming months for anything I'll be posting it. Might not be quite on the "concept" topic, but art takes many forms! Even when it is revised to death. LOL!

Take care all, and again, thanks for the congrats. It means a lot to me!
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Thanks
    thanks everyone for your kind comments.

A year ago, my life drawing and painting was horrendous. But coming to this site all the time and getting crits (madster! ), and seeing everyone else's awesome work, inspired me to keep going at it.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    good news dudes - have fun and work like madmen!
    Last edited by Fellah.; September 17th, 2005 at 03:19 PM.

Thanks
    congratulations!, I got a little illustrating job in the summer holidays which I was pretty proud of!

I feel so happy for you!!!!!

Thanks
    Dream on, brother in arts, dream on. You chased and got it! Congrats of the highest order.

Thanks
    Way to join the ranks, both of you! The great thing about art jobs is that they usually snowball into better art jobs, so work hard, have fun and keep it up!

Thanks
    Cheers! That's awesome to hear guys. I'm really happy for you.
    [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks

Thumbs up

This is great to hear, so much standing in your way and you did it. Congrats to you too ParkerD. It encourages me even more to hear success stories.
    Now I've gotta go check out your stuff.

-Steve-

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol71
    Today was my first day with The Beistle Company as an artist/illustrator!
    congrats!

I've been to the location in Shippensburg, is that where you're working? I had applied there for an internship 5 or 6 years ago. Will you get to do the Halloween products or will you be doing something else for them?
    bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 134 Posts
    the Mb crew and I are really proud of you. your story gives validation to the years that jason and I have poured into this site.

Thanks
    nice stuff gl to ya

Thanks
    Again, thanks for all the kind words folks. I have to admit, it kind of brings a lump to my throat! I know, I'm an old softy, but being apart of a community like this for so long gives this place a special place in my heart!

Jens: Kind words my friend, very kind! And I am extremely humbled knowing what other works are posted on this site and that I feel the same way about you guys!

bwkeough: Yup! That's the place! Good tight group there and plenty of opportunity to learn new things, develop new skills. The subject matter most likely will include Halloween items, but the range of topics is very broad. Right now I'm working on a set of Luau party cutouts! Heh heh. I'll try and post stuff when I get permission.

Andrew: Well, what can I say? I'm pleased as punch and appreciate that you took the time to stop by the thread! And I couldn't agree more with your statement. This site is a major reason that I have stuck with things and kept on plugging, because of the people on it. The hard work and encouragement that individuals like you and Jason have shared has stirred a real desire within me. Now, I feel that now my journey has finally begun and am anxious to discover what lies ahead for me. I have so much to learn and can't wait to learn it!

Thanks again for your comments everyone. Again, I'll try and post some stuff as soon as I get cleared. Be warned, it will be "art directed" to death, but it's still a job!!! WOOO HOOOOO! I sketched all day today...AND GOT PAID FOR IT!!! LOL!

Thanks
    thank you thank you thank you, i was doing "free portraits" on my pearl st mall yesterday and recieved my biggest compliment from a cop of all people. told me i was very tallented and that he hopes someone is tipping me big. (just don't let him see it kind of deal). a huge releaf since i was stressing the fact that i might get a $250 fine for selling w/o a license. somehow the universe is telling us to do what we love to do and everything will fall into place after. thanks for your inspiration all of you, CA has been a humbling experience as well as an eye opening one. thank you one and all. may we all find something that we love and get paid for it as well. this post is probably ages old but what the hell. i'm sending my prayers out there to make this a better world. much love and respect to all of you.
    Vincent

Thanks
    wow, congratulations...thats very inspiring. im fresh out of college with an art degree and have to settle with temp work at the moment in offices. i spend most of the day faxing papers and doodling on my message pad due to my boredom. i literally feel the creativity being sucked out of my body each day. but like you said, never give up...it will happen.

i believe it. and nice to be surrounded by others who do too..
    [--Heather
    -----------------------------------------
    please visit my WEBSITE

Thanks
    IŽll drink to that. Well, since the post is 4 days old IŽll drink 4 days to that.

Congrats!

Thanks
    CA is, in a sense, the pwn. I'd say a round of applause to you, and the great minds that made CA. Out of many art forums, CA makes you feel like your home on the internet. Its a wierd, but cool feeling. Seeing many familiar people post makes it seem like you see them everyday. You get a sense of how each person talks like, and draws (most important). Good luck with your job dude!
    Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks

Thumbs up

Congrats dudes!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoddess16
    i spend most of the day faxing papers and doodling on my message pad due to my boredom. i literally feel the creativity being sucked out of my body each day. but like you said, never give up...it will happen.

i believe it. and nice to be surrounded by others who do too..
    Been EXACTLY there and done EXACTLY that friend, for 8 years!!!! Stuck in a cubicle with no end in sight, corporate hell, and I can't tell you how many times I used that EXACT phrase...creativity being sucked out of my body!! It's like you were reading my mind.

Here's a snapshot of where I used to waste 8 hours of my life everyday:

Finally Landed An Art Job!...

So I have felt your pain. Do not be discouraged, this too shall pass! Keep your chin up and your pencil to the paper!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast