Sketchbook: sketchbook (10th Feb 2007) 365 design challenge
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sketchbook (10th Feb 2007) 365 design challenge

Finally decided to get off my arse and start a sketchbook thread.

First, got to thanks koshime for providing hosting. Went to school and known the guy for 18 years already, and we've barely done one or two collaboration pieces (that's hopefully going to change). Please visit his sketchbook... http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29051

Starting off with stuff from the "daily sketch group", and then some more recent work and personal projects. Hopefully, it'll be a bit entertaining to the viewers.

Thanks for browsing.

Weapon: Plasma weapon based tank

Scene: War zone ~ Robot: scout droid

Character: The Indian that reclaimed america ~ Character: Reborn Ancient Giant

Scene: Creepy village ~ Tribe Ritual

Character: Bike Messenger (Be Unique) ~ Character: The ruler of all

Character: Machine-man ~ Fisherman in the year 2111

Scene: City under military control

Character: Bomb builder

Environment: Kingdom of peril

Design: Redesign batman

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by machzero; February 9th, 2007 at 02:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    w00t I like them but what size are they in real?

no really comments except the helmet is a bit off by the kingdom of peril, then I mean the helmet on that bird-like creature thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff man there is some nice use of blurring to make the figurs stand out depending where they stand in the backgroun nice, I have only some critiques on the bodies some seem stiff at times.
    I like the city under military control and the bomb builder one is funny also fish dont have rights according to this hairless ape. Good designs machzero hope too see how far you can push your ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys~! another ~180 pics to come, I'm doing the posts right now.

Bubstar - my anatomy is still extemely shaky, but I try to hide or keep the poses static while continuing practice.

Haldor - they're mostly very quick and rough. About 1000 pix across most of the time. I post them at 640 across but I don't want to take up too much bandwidth from the host (shrinking the older stuff eventually).

Creature: Cave dwarf ~ Mountain Giant

Character: Criminal Investigator

Creature: Cyborg undead(zombies, skeletons, etc)

Creature: Forest Giant ~ Scene: Adam and Eve

Creature: vampire monkey

Character: Evil corporate giant

Character: Conquerer of hell

Scene: The first day after the world-wide blackout(no electrity) ~ Character: The cowardly lion

Character: The heartless tinman ~ Character: Dorothy, the leader of the lion, tinman, and scarecrow.

Character: The DSG 696: Character: Female Heroine

Scene: The god's storm

Last edited by machzero; September 16th, 2005 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried to keep up with the daily sketch group thing a while back, just couldn't do it. I am still amazed that you did one everyday! You are a machine man! Good work! I love your stuff, the only thing I would say is I definetly would like to see more colored stuff. My favorite so far out of that above set is the "tribe ritual", I just like that 'birds eye view' angle.
    Keep up the good work Mach!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    spicy meatballs - You got some pretty clean and dynamic stuff on your sketchbook though. I haven't been so dedicated to the DSG recently. Been flying in and out of the country for work (no internet often). Also with the irregular times at which the DSG topic is posted, too tired to spend too much time especially after work.

Also, my old battered 4x5 intuous2 is dying slowly... stylus sensitivity out of whack... my recent stuff has gotten very coarse.

Character: Blood collector

Mythology: Design the god of war(mars/aeres) ~ Scene: The Washing of sins

Creature: Gas Planet (Jupiter) Alien

D&D Characters: Half-Orc Assassin

Creature: Moon Alien

D&D Characters: Human Druid

Character: Pharaoh?Pariah? of the sky ~ D&D Characters: Gnome Wizard

D&D Characters: Human Rogue ~ D&D Creatures: Troll

D&D Creatures: Drow(evil) elf ~ Scene: Trapped in a Bottle

Scene: On the Boat, passing through Infested Waters

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"Sewer City"

Character: Bored Ghost ~ Character: An H.P.Lovecraft-inspired Nobleman/woman

Creatures: Upright Hippopotami ~ When good robots go bad!

Architectural: Alien Aqueduct (raised, bridgelike waterway)

Sci-Fi Scene: The Mechanic Working on Her Mech

Scene: Un-earthed, Dormant Creature. ~ Sci-Fi Scene: Crash Landing at the Air-and-SpacePort

Scene: Alien Rodeo ~ Industrial Design: Video Game Console

Characters / Scene: Amidst an Ugly Many...One who is Sickeningly Cute

Creature: The Great Whale-God

Creature: The Very Speedy Beast ~ Biological: The Skull as a Sculpture (human or otherwise)

Spring-Inspired: ALIEN GARDEN ~ Character: The WOODEN MAN (or woman)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Storybook Imagery: THE BOY WHO TRIED TO BE A BOT ~ Biological : ALIEN AUTOPSY (exposed innards!)

Landscape: The ANCIENT TOWERS of MUD and STRAW ~ Scene: LAKE OF SLEEPING DRAGONS

Sci-Fi-Character: OVERHAUL THE BORG LOOK

Scene: CLASSIC MONSTERS ON A DAY-OFF / VACATION

Fashion/Prop: HAT INSPIRED BY INSECT ANATOMY ~ Industrial Environment: The Refinery

DEPRESSED ROBOT

High-Tech/Desert Scene: THE AX-12 IS TESTED

Fantasy Scene: THE IDIOT WIZARD CASTS A SPELL ~ Creature: SIX-EYED DOG FROM DOOMNATIA

Astronomical Imagery: FANTASTIC NEBULA ~ Fashion/Armour: BONE SUIT

Character: MAN W/ A PORTMANTEAU ~ Architectural: THE INCREDIBLE TREE-FORT

Storybook/Fantasy Scene: GOAT-HEADED BOY FINDS MYSTERIOUS BOX ~ Environment: GLACIAL, OTHERWORLDLY LANDSCAPE w/ EXPLORERS

Biological Weirdness: CREATURE MADE OF VEINS AND BLADDERS (or draw bunnies) ~ Scene: THE BUTTON-COVERED THING RUNS FROM THE BUTTON-PUSHING THING

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    entering the 100s...

Timely Topics: DRAW YOURSELF AS A STAR WARS™ CHARACTER ~ Character/Creature: BIO-TECH MERMAID / MERMAN

Atmospheric Perspective: THE BEAUTIFUL TREE-LINED PATH ~ Creature/Scene: HIGH-SEAS SPECTRE / AQUATIC WRAITH

Sci-Fi Scene: BATTLE-TORN MECHS HEADING HOME ~ Creature: THE JOLLY, LAUGHING, BOIL-COVERED THING

Biological Detail: THE WEIRD EYE, UP-CLOSE ~ Scene/Environment: THE AGE OF CLOUDS

Environment: THE GATE TO HADES (hell)

Creature/Scene: THE MEGA-PIG ATTACKS!

Sci-Fi Character: THE PASTY, SICKLY, UNHEALTHY CYBORG

Industrial Design: DESIGN A VEHICLE W/ AN EMOTION IN MIND... ~ Scenery: THE COLOSSAL, ANCIENT, STONE HEAD OF A WOMAN

Characters/Scene: CUTE LITTLE MONKS TENDING CUTE FURRY ANIMALS ~ "Storybook" Scene: YOUNG GIRL RIDES THE GIANT BUTTERFLY/MOTH

Sci-Fi: FIELD OF BROKEN TECHNOLOGY/ROBOT BATTLEGROUND ~ Historical: GREAT THINKER OF THE PAST (use ref.)

Sci-Fi: TERRIFYING "INSECT" MECHA IN DOWNTOWN RAGE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Environment: THE MOSSY STEPPES

Extreme Perspective: THE HAND or FIST REACHING OUT TOWARD THE VIEWER ~ Open-ended: THE THING COMES THROUGH THE PORTAL

Open-ended: THE THING COMES THROUGH THE PORTAL

Scene: THE DEMONS BUILD A STRUCTURE

Scene: THE DEMONS BUILD A STRUCTURE ~ Scene/Open-ended: THE UNEXPECTED CONSEQUENCES OF TOMFOOLERY

Environment/Scene: RURAL U.F.O. CRASH-SITE ~ Sci-Fi Vehicle: FLYING PARAMEDIC

Genetic Tampering: THE DINOSAUR LAB ~ Pimp My Ride: SOUP-UP BOEING's FLAGSHIP

Creature/Character(s): PELICAN MAN ~ Architectural Interior: HALL OF STAINED-GLASS WINDOWS

Environment: MONSTER ISLAND ~ Scene: THE FISH JUST BENEATH THE SURFACE OF THE WATER (Viewed from Above)

Sci-Fi: AS THE "HUMAN" FACE OPENS UP, WE SEE THE TINY ALIEN OPERATOR WITHIN ~ Creature: NIGHTMARE CLOWN

THE HEAD-IN-A-JAR AND ITS WALKING MECHANISM ~ Environment: THE DRAGON CLIFFS

Sci-Fi Scene: TELEPORTATION MISHAP ~ Sci-Fi: FURRY ROBOTS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sci-Fi Environment: MOUNTAIN-TOP DOCKING BAY

Character: VAMPIRE CUTIE ON A COT

Fantasy Scene/Creature: THE HUGE OGRE UNDER THE SMALL BRIDGE

Creature/Scene: SUMMONING THE LAVA BEAST ~ Sci Fi: BIOSTASIS (suspended animation) DEVICE/SUBJECT

Scene: THE DOG IS DREAMING ~ Sci-Fi Scene: GIANT WORM ELECTRICAL STORM

Sci-Fi Weirdness: BIOMECHANICAL VORTEX

Storybook Character: REDESIGN SLEEPING BEAUTY ~ Night Environment: THE PAPER LANTERNS

Character: TUBEMAN (or TUBEWOMAN) ~ Sci-Fi Biological: THE ALIEN X-RAY (Bone Structure... Not Death Ray)

Fantasy Quota: FEMALE RIDING A-TOP DRAGON

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Crossover Character: TERMINATOR HOBBIT ~ Fantasy Scene: DRAGON HATCHLINGS IN THE NEST

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Genetic Tampering: FUTURE DOG BREED ~ Character: THE FILTHY, HUNCHED-OVER, SUPER-HAIRY FELLA W/ THE TERRIBLE TEETH

Fantasy Creatures/Environment: DEEP WITHIN THE JUNGLE... THE APE FAERIES! ~ 1st Contact: ALIENS FINALLY EXIT THEIR CRAFT/REVEAL THEMSELVES TO ONLOOKERS

Fantasy Drivel/Environment: BEAUTIFUL ELF PRINCESS IN THE SUNLIT CLEARING

Fantasy Environment: CASCADING WATERFALLS 'NEATH THE DARK AND ANCIENT RUINS ~ Sci-Fi/Fantasy Vehicles: FLYING TAXIS IN THE LOT

Fantasy Character/Scene: GNOME TRAPPED IN A JAR ~ Character Portrait: KINDLY OLD CAT-EYED WOMAN

D&D/Fantasy Creature: UNICORN SLEEPS BY THE ENCHANTED BROOK ~ Fantastic Scene: SCUBA-DIVER ENCOUNTERS WEIRD NEW FISH

Sci-Fi Scene: OVERLOADED CARGO VESSEL HAS DIFFICULTY LIFTING-OFF

Character/Setting: THE GIANT RUSTY STORAGE TANK AND THE CHILD NEARBY ~ Fantasy Character/Scene: TOKYO VAMPIRE SPOTS (OR TAKES) ITS VICTIM

Biological Oddity: LAND-JELLIES ... (JELLYFISH THAT LOCOMOTE LAND-WISE) ~ Fantasy Scene: FIGURE(S) STANDING BEFORE THE DRAGONHEAD-SHAPED ENTRY-WAY

Sci-Fi Scene: HOVERING CRAFT USE HIGH-BEAMS TO SEARCH SHEER CLIFF WALL

Last edited by machzero; September 18th, 2005 at 02:23 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sci-Fi: GREY VESSELS W/ BOLD ORANGE & WHITE MARKINGS ON LANDING-PAD IN RAIN

Entity: SWORLING STUFF VISIBLE THROUGH TRANSPARENT SKIN OF KIND FEMALE FACE

Matte-Painting: UFO HAS LANDED ~ Strange Scene: GROUP FINDS SCALEY "UNICORN' AMIDST MISTY FIELD OF EGGS

Storybook Imagery: GIRL BUILDS AN AIRPLANE ON HER ROOF ~ Fantasy Lifeform: BIZARRE AQUATIC SPECIMEN IN A TRAY

Sci-Fi Scene: SPACESHIP NARROWLY MAKES IT THROUGH CLOSING STATION PORTAL

Prehistoric Nurseries: NEWLY-HATCHED DINOSAUR IS LICKED CLEAN BY MOTHER ~ Sci-Fi Character: FORBIDDING AND LOOMING; FIGURE IS ELEGANTLY CLOAKED IN RED

Fantasy Scene: FATTY CAT CUTS NAILS IN FAMILY ROOM, UPSETTING MOUSEY WOWSE ~ Sci-Fi Character/Prop: BE-GOGGLED & LEATHERED FIGURE DONS COOL JET-PACK

Creature/Attribute: A DEVIL, LIT BY CANDLELIGHT, WITH MOST PECULIAR "BEARD" ~ Night Scene: SUPER-VILLAIN ATOP BUILDING FLEXES ITS ELECTROSTATIC MUSCLE

Sci-Fi Scene: OBESE FIGURES SWING THROUGH JUNGLE USING MECHANICAL ARMS

Sci-Fi: RESCUE VEHICLES RACE TOWARD DISABLED/BURNING VESSEL

Sci-Fantasy Scene: KNIGHT IS ILL-EQUIPPED TO BATTLE ROBOT DRAGON

Open-Ended: GREEN ~ Sci-Fi/Fantasy: BIZARRE MEDUSA ON SOME FOREIGN WORLD IS REVEARED BY NATIVES

done... approximately 200+ DSGs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff Machzero.

In particular I love your vehicles and sense of perspective. I have really hard time with those things myself so I really admire those things when I see them.

Maybe it's just a style issue so ignore this if there was something you're going for, but I would say in general the only thing I see you avoiding is facial expressions. Again, if it's just an artistic choice ignore the comment, but I would love to see what you could do illustrating different emotions. I think it would round off your story telling arsenal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jarhead1, thanks for the comments~! I only started seriously trying anatomy about 2~3 years back. And even now, basically use figures as props. Which might explain the lack of expressions.

as for perspective and vehicles, parallel lines in the real world will converge at a single point. That's it. Keep remembering that, and it's easier than bones, muscles, and skins. And the rest are all cylinders and boxes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot - a lot - of great ideas here man! I was pretty blown away. So much stuff! Your characters are a bit stiff sometimes - like most of mine btw - but with this speed you got here im sure they are going be more fluid and loose in no time. Keep this up man. Look forward to seeing more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fellah. - thanks~! really appreciated your comments. Your characters are way more fluid than mine in all areas amd your sketchbook is pretty damn inspirational too.

To be honest, I'm perfectly happy doing vehicle designs all day long. But for the DSG, tried to push myself to do characters. And if possible, incorporate, characters, perspective, mechanical designs together.

Will post some non-DSG related stuff later tonight (stuff which took me more than two hours).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some miscellenous and older stuff...

From the illustration by rick hershey. Free of charge guidance and critiques. Good stuff, more people should participate.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41781

Design for the 1st IDM. Spent four days on it, basically got ignored in the polls. Had fun doing the whole thing in photoshop 5.5 from start to finish. Having the lack of ellipse guides shows.

Playing around with perspective and "ray tracing". Shadows cast from the balcony "girders" should be accurate. 100% photoshop 5.5 again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice dude!
    Great to see you started a sketchbook!

I first saw yer stuff in the dsg's, awesome (I admire your commitment). I was gonna post in here at work when I first saw this last week, but the network was being wonky, better late than never.

Keep up the good work, like your stuff and style, all very well thought out

c

chris steingart

ca sketchbook 2
    blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    csteingart - thanks! Been working overseas for a bit. Only had time to sit down infront of the computer and wacom again.

new illustration activity... been a bit tardy though. Topic - RPG cover with some specific requirements on the characters and setting. Lot's of cool artwork by others at the below link.

illustration activity

thumbnails...

rough character sketches according to brief...

final sketch...

started slapping on some colours in photoshop...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crap, shouldn't have dumped 250 images on one page. If anyone reads this, should I delete the old stuff?

Anyway, more progress pics... first time doing a piece this large. And coloured, at that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    new stuff to come eventually...

final image for the illustration activity.

pic for the industrial design of the week. Forum went down, was late, never taken to the poll.

another attempt...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    started on a new illustration activity...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good there my friend....Keep up the colour work. monochrome i think is good to perfect form and lihgting, colour for depth..at least that is what i'm finding out

Dr CM Wong
    Director
    Opus Artz - Digital Art For The Entertaintment Industry

Affiliations:
    International Association of Astronomical Artists | Aerospace Medical Association

Guillermo_del_Toro: Viva WETA and the many "toys" they make! And may Cthulhu give me more shelves to put them on...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    love the thread man. finally got on a pc that could download all of them so i could see them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more updates ! love the dark shark thing.. im a big fan of mech's and whatnot.. and ur designs are v nice .. hope u can post more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lets ee more of that new style illustration stuff. looking good!

Dr CM Wong
    Director
    Opus Artz - Digital Art For The Entertaintment Industry

Affiliations:
    International Association of Astronomical Artists | Aerospace Medical Association

Guillermo_del_Toro: Viva WETA and the many "toys" they make! And may Cthulhu give me more shelves to put them on...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gonna do a dump of some older DSG stuff. Will break it up a bit more. The thread's ridiculously heavy as it is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.