Sketchbook: sketchbook (10th Feb 2007) 365 design challenge - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: sketchbook (10th Feb 2007) 365 design challenge

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those are GREAT sketchbook pages man! anyways your sense of char design and costumes are very strong...anatomy a bit off in some but mostly just in the noses.

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great update... I love the DSG sketch, and you space ships, as usual... awesome....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey hpslashluvr,

i'm mirror-flipping the images and I still mess up when it comes to facial features. More studies/practise! I'm a one trick pony when it comes down to costumes... must raid some fashion magazines one of these days. Otherwise I'll be forced to use funny coloured hair and eyes to distinguish characters... heh.

oi glikster~! thanks~! I could draw spaceships and robots all day long!!! heheheh... got some more sketches in my small book (no spaceships nor robots!), but no time to scan them yet.

still on the same theme... I want to see what 1-2 months of solid doodling on this space theme results in... then it's onto other genres.

also, more quick practise... want to find a nice balance between 5 minute doodles which no one else can decipher and those 12 hour marathons that destroys my hand.

friend sent me a rough concept... took a couple of mins to resketch it, then slapped on some quick colour. Did a "nose adjustment" as hpslashluvr recommends that I should do, (it's better than it was before! heh) then emailed it back.

note... WTF are the legs doing!@? must insert raised platform later to fudge that goof.

quick thumbnail. No more than fifteen mins. Anatomical strangeness at the thighs/legs noted.

want to come to a point where I can crank out thumbnails and rough char sketches as fast as I can do the mechanical designs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great progress sen. keep up the character/mech work!

will await your progrress/ btw u and spkye..(is this something that will materialise or eventually materialise??)

Dr CM Wong
    Director
    Opus Artz - Digital Art For The Entertaintment Industry

Affiliations:
    International Association of Astronomical Artists | Aerospace Medical Association

Guillermo_del_Toro: Viva WETA and the many "toys" they make! And may Cthulhu give me more shelves to put them on...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude~~!!!

not sure what the results are... but our last collaboration with him handling the 3D and me the rough concepts worked out pretty well. Resulted in his demoreel, and he got hired at the game company right after he finished his course.

working off last night's thumbnail... let's see where this goes...

edit> no need for a bump yet...

edit2> finished?

Last edited by machzero; July 16th, 2006 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man great updates! I agree with hp in that you have a very strong costume and character sense of design. this most recent one is great as well; your finished one is looking really nice, though I do think you could tighten up the rendering on her clothing a bit (I only say that because the machinery around her looks really cleanly rendered). nice lighting on this one as well... keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice update... you gave her face a slightly concave feel though...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry no updates... been outta it... caught some bug... took two days of sick leave too (or was it unpaid? duncare dungivedem). doctor actually prescribed something like twelve tylenol's a day ontop of others... which is vaguely what my liver can handle I think...

anyway, recovering now... right hand with a stylus is still being a stranger though...

yo Onir! Actually I'm stuck... heheh. I'll need to sit down, get some reference for jackets... or maybe even shoot some rough pics. I'll save it for another day after this little update.

hey glikster! Gah... sat down to fix the nose, only to forget the face is ATLEAST vaguely cylindrical. here's a quick attempt at fixing it... and in actual size too (not sure if my old machine can handle higher res images).

some stuff actually from work! heheh. Try not to do this often, don't bloody want to be labelled some artist dude or something or end up with questions like, "does this font make me look fat?". But it was a rush job, and some quick pamplets needed to be printed. All done with old 3 megapix digicam for reference pics, photoshop 5.5 on a laptop, graphire2 (koshdude's!), and a lot of line and circle tools.

another page from the good 'ol digital sketchbook (photoshop file with dozens of layers)... let's see where this goes....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice illustration for the pamphlets...how about painting in blocks of monochromic forms, giving foregroudn forms darkest tone, mid ground - neutral tone and bg - bg layer and light tones? rather than use a digiatl hardbrush to the above scene

could be an inter sting experiment for ya?

Dr CM Wong
    Director

Affiliations:
    International Association of Astronomical Artists | Aerospace Medical Association

Guillermo_del_Toro: Viva WETA and the many "toys" they make! And may Cthulhu give me more shelves to put them on...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice mech work bro! Keep working on those characters. As a crit on your last post, add some larger highlights on her face to really make the form pop out in space! otherwise nice work. cant wait to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, I think that face is looking alot better! shape is definitely coming along, and the nose is lookin good. amazes me how clean you get your work stuff to be, can't believe that was done in photoshop by hand (even if you did use line and circle tools) lol. great work though man, would like to see how you develop out that sketch you have at the bottom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah that helped... and those technical illustrations are looking nice and polished!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i LOVE the new char painting you are doing...it's so busy! it has things going on...great idea to have the char using hands by holding noodles ^^ i would change the color scheme though...it seems like things don't match...but don't ask me, i suck at colors ^^

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kosh dude~! not sure where latest pic is going yet.... but it's going... last one was a bit rushed... from sketch to colour. Half the time didn't know what was happening in the pic. Trying the opposite this time.

Ryan DeMita, thanks~! more to come. But will prolly leave this pic alone for now. Will return to it in the future once I figure a few things.

Yo Onir! It's easy to draw straight lines on a computer! Heheheh. Even easier with snap to guides! EVEN EASIER TO DO FONTS! it's like drawing with cut/paste and clipart! kekekeke *am lazy*

hey glikster! thanks! they were rushed to the printers on friday, I still haven't seen the finished product. Hoepfully they weren't messed up. Original graphics were as wide as a legal/A4 at 300dpi.

hpslashluvr! WAT!? hand holding noodles!? i can picture you now... the scourge of family reunions... two finger technique first... no utensils... *gets brained with a brick* I suxxor at colours... note it's becoming more monochrome... another 3-4 iterations, it'll fade back to black and white.

quick update... nothing too interesting yet...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow...so many updates. Hard to comment everything. Frontier Elite II had very simple spacecraft desgins but they were very recognizable. For example, one of my bigger ships - Boa freighter was just long triangle . And my favourite was always Imperial Trader. Small crew but lot's of cargo space.

I like the illustration with girl eating noodles. She has nice face expression that attracts attention.

It's also good to see some of your pencil works .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, nice update; even if you say it's nothing too interesting, still great to see how much you tighten up your drawings from your original sketch. nice work man, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow nice! YOU seem to be making a world of your own! Way to go!

btw what company are you working for?

Sketchbook group! Omi-kun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some really great, intuitive looking illustrations. To correct any of your anatomical misunderstandings do some life work and throw it to us.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool sketches...but really the figure work does not match the level of detail put into that. and by the hand holding noodles, i meant, the hand holding utensils grasping noodles! duh! jeez! =P

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *sneaks in*

apologies, this sketchbook is more than dead and buried i guess.

first time this year, i've taken leave from work that's more than a day... so a few updates, recent and not too recent. And going on a short weekend trip tomorrow followed by bumming for the rest of the week~!

very old... but shows more progression in the details, which was what hpslashluvr commented on.

some old DSGs...

some stuff done for the fake game project. Original character designs by lewis. Some other rough sketches can be found in that thread.

seriously made a mistake with the perspective here... realised it too late.

not new stuff, but not posted before i think... never finished.

1:1 scale...

the previous pages showed some of the ships for a personal project... here are some thumbnails of some of the characters. Finished large pics to come hopefully.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    spent the weekend at the beach... lot's BBQed meat, two jugs of beer with colleagues, and what could possibly be the world's worst life band...

batteries recharged a bit.

half an hour quick ones today...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa! how'd you sneak past my subscription?! lol great to see an update man, it's been a little while. lovely dsgs as always, great designs and originality in em. the update of the one hp commented on is looking great, very tight and nicely drawn. only real thing I can see to crit on it would be the guy in the bottom right of the image; his hips seem a bit off with his torso. otherwise all I could really as for is some color really nice heads and great ship design as always.. keep up the good work man and keep postin!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol i thought i was subscribed to this too! i was liek hrmmm...anyways great updates on the details and stuff, i think your faces are better in that line of faces you posted together. eyebrows and lips still bother me but whatever ^^ and i still think the color are too unsaturated =P

i love the project you're working on ....can you explain more about it?

you really need to do some kind of tutorial on making vehicles sometime...

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates. I agree with hpslashluvr about unsaturated colours.
    I have small question. Do you learn drawing mechanical stuff by just looking at some vechicles/machines or there is something more?

Keep it up! I would like to hear something about your project too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude Cool stuff!
    My only advice is to try and use some stronger colours to bring some more drama into the illustration.
    Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Johnny Five! You're Alive!

WB

Dr CM Wong
    Director

Affiliations:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gah... sat down to doodle a bit after dinner and it's now half past midnight. Got to be in the office early for meetings tomorrow. Will reply and describe a bit tomorrow.

edit>

okay, for those who are interested... first ship doodle is a "retrograde" design of an earlier one... a civilian extra vehicular "suit" that was upgraded to military specs. Did the modified version first, applied "tracing" paper then worked backwards.

finished with a pressure sensitivity off and straight lines.

next are a couple of fourty-five minute sketches... another old project.

Last edited by machzero; December 4th, 2006 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Poison water!!!!

Dr CM Wong
    Director

Affiliations:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    koshdude~!

yeah, poisoned water has been on the back burner for a long time hasn't it? I'll update via email eventually, keep you and the rest of the guys involved.

yo onir,

my subscription's been flaky too. Don't see yours updated most of the time. In the end, I just view all current ones, check out the last post.

Yeah, the bottom right figure is stiff, and is kinda twisted in a strange position. Was going to attribute it to the "hardsuit", but if it looks wrong, it's wrong. The original sketch looks better... heh.

oi hpslashluvr,

it's the caterpillar eyebrows that bug you, isn't it?!? Gotta stop using the mirror for reference~! heheheh

Meanwhile, still on "babysteps" when it comes to colour. I need to get much much better at just simple sketching first... still not happy enough to attempt colour yet.

hey farvus~!

i've been doodling cars, tanks, and planes for a long time. Have never taken an ID class, but was almost a ?draughtsman but never took any certification. I do have a decent book on architectural rendering though, and was quite a fan of scifi japanese comics.

i did write a short tutorial on how i approached vehicles/perspective in an IDW (industrial design for the week) thread a while back. But then almost everyone said my approach was wrong or flawed... sooooo...

i'm open to suggestions what to do the tutorial on?

the project or various projects was started with some gaming buddies (tabletop games, RPGs, LAN parties, all night boozing + BBQ, catapults with paintballs in a park, etc) a long time ago. It's a sort off collaborative effort, writing, sketching, and maybe hopefully a small game one day. Years later, I think we're all better but unfortunately/fortunately have full time non-art related professions.

oh yeah, seperate genres for each project. So my non-DSG doodles all have a consistent world/characters/story in mind.

hey zynic,

thanks for the comment~! I'll write something in your sketchbook about your effort in a bit!

edit> took too much time with this one... two hours and the night is gone... time to zzzzz...

Last edited by machzero; December 5th, 2006 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added some new pics, no point in bumping

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome updates... that last head you posted is great!

And of course the industrial designs rock.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.