Pressure Sensitivity

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pressure Sensitivity

Got Painter 8 today and I am just starting out and i can't seem to get pressure sensitivty with my WACOM Intuos 3?

Any ideas on what i soufld do or how i get pressure sensitivity.

Thanks

'As life passes by we fail to appreciate the finer things, therefore capture its essence and radiance in all its glory. '
    --Me.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a PC:
    -I go to control panel
    -I doubleclick the wacom icon - wacom properties
    -I adjust the tip feel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not all painter brushes are pressure sensitive. Did you try the oil brushes?

You also need to calibrate the tablet. Can be performed inside Painter by selecting Edit/Preference/Brush Tracking.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Read the wacom and the panter book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    painter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice spamming Stark....

EDIT!!!!

Anyway, on topic... great tips, i didnt know these.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nafa
    Not all painter brushes are pressure sensitive. Did you try the oil brushes?

You also need to calibrate the tablet. Can be performed inside Painter by selecting Edit/Preference/Brush Tracking.

Good luck.
    So does this mean we are supposed to keep manually switching the size if the brush is not pressure sensitive?
    This has always been a ongoing struggle for me and I want to use this program because of the natural flow that occurs within it.
    I like the possibilities Painter offers but PS seems to be a bit more "controllable" for me when it comes to this subject.
    And while I'm on this topic...I have adjusted the "Tracking" in every which way possible and still do not get the responsiveness that PS has to offer.
    I mean the brush (oil) goes from zero to fifty as soon as I put pressure on it and even if I do have the "Tracking" adjusted in any certain fashion I get tiny strokes or I have to adjust the size again manually.
    Its very frustrating because this really is a cool program but this adjusting kind of wrecks the creative flow for me...I dont see How Ryan Church does it to tell you the truth/..
    Maybe we can make this thread into a show us your settings type or show your brush tracking settings and then maybe explain your progress ya know.
    (EDIT)
    Sorry about the rant there...I have since figured something a little close to to what I Like, I realize this program doe simulate "Traditional" painting more than PS, If I may though...Why does the opacity seem so rich? is there a way around this? show those settings too...Im a little unclear on the bleed and resatuarate settings.
    anyway hope you guys read this far and we can all help each other along
    cool
    R

Last edited by reBirth; October 25th, 2005 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by reBirth
    So does this mean we are supposed to keep manually switching the size if the brush is not pressure sensitive?
    No. If the brush variant is not set to express Size using the Pressure option, open the Brush Creator, click the Stroke Designer tab, then in the Size section, below the Size and Min Size sliders, choose Pressure from the Expression drop down list.

A good example brush variant is the Pens' Scratchboard Tool which, in it's default state, paints thick and thin lines in response to the pressure you apply when painting a brushstroke. Take a look at the brush control settings for this variant, in the Brush Creator, Stroke Designer tab's Size section.

Size Expression is available for most, if not all, brush variants. If it's not available, choose another brush variant.

This has always been a ongoing struggle for me and I want to use this program because of the natural flow that occurs within it.
    I like the possibilities Painter offers but PS seems to be a bit more "controllable" for me when it comes to this subject.

And while I'm on this topic...I have adjusted the "Tracking" in every which way possible and still do not get the responsiveness that PS has to offer.
    I mean the brush (oil) goes from zero to fifty as soon as I put pressure on it and even if I do have the "Tracking" adjusted in any certain fashion I get tiny strokes or I have to adjust the size again manually.
    To get more control over changes in brushstroke width, try resetting your Brush Tracking using more than your normal hand pressure. Below is a demo showing brushstrokes made with the Pens' Scratchboard first in its default state, then with Expression: None:

Pressure Sensitivity

Brush Tracking settings when I painted these brushstrokes in Painter IX:

Velocity Scale: 0.10
    Velocity Power: 0.46
    Pressure Scale: 0.98
    Pressure Power: 4.00

You can try these settings, but you may get a different result from mine because we don't paint exactly the same way.

Its very frustrating because this really is a cool program but this adjusting kind of wrecks the creative flow for me...I dont see How Ryan Church does it to tell you the truth/..

Maybe we can make this thread into a show us your settings type or show your brush tracking settings and then maybe explain your progress ya know.
    We could show you a zillion variations on Brush Tracking settings but, again, they'll work differently for different people because we all have different ways of painting, with different hand pressure, speed, etc.. You'll need to experiment, and understand how Painter's brush controls work, to come to the right settings both for your own hand pressure and for the particular brush variant being used. Some brush variants require resetting Brush Tracking from the usual settings you use, in order to make them work the way you like.

(EDIT)
    Sorry about the rant there...I have since figured something a little close to to what I Like, I realize this program doe simulate "Traditional" painting more than PS, If I may though...Why does the opacity seem so rich? is there a way around this? show those settings too...Im a little unclear on the bleed and resatuarate settings.
    Resat/Resaturation controls how much color is in the brushstroke. If it's set to 0, no color will appear in the brushstroke.

Bleed controls how much existing color is picked up and carried in the brushstroke. If this slider is set to 0, no existing color will be picked up and carried in the brushstroke.

Those two settings can be adjusted to make a non-blending brush variant blend colors while painting. To do that, the Resat/Resaturation slider has to be lowered and the Bleed slider positioned somewhere to the right of the Resat/Resaturation slider. Where each of these sliders is positioned then depends on the result you want so experimenting will tell you where to set them.

anyway hope you guys read this far and we can all help each other along
    cool
    R
    All of the information I've provided above is in the User Guide and Help > Help Topics and it' will help you a lot to read it a little each day until you learn how Painter's brush controls work, and can be adjusted by the user.

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jin---Im not really one to read the manual because I like to get more hands on explanation of how things work if you know what I mean...I do read them but Its not as much fun as getting to see how others perceive the situation and approach the dillema

Last edited by reBirth; October 27th, 2005 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    install the CD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    reBirth,

It does save people like me from having to explain the same things over and over when they could easily be understood by reading the User Guide or Help > Help Topics before asking. Remember, though people like to help, our time is valuable too.

Sometimes, even then, you'll need to ask questions about certain things that are either not explained in the User Guide or Help > Help Topics or are not explained clearly or thoroughly enough.

Some of the basic things I explained above are fairly easy to understand by reading.

Ask when you really need help, not just because it's more fun to ask and let someone else do the research for you.

I do agree, though, that it's good to learn how others approach a problem... when there is a problem to approach.... or what other techniques people use.

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go to edit, preferences, brush tracking. If that doesn't work use the above advice.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.