Thread: Salary

Thanks

Salary

Greetings all. Sorry for the anonymous post, but i feel that due to the nature of what I am asking it is in order.

ok.. I am a year out of a really good art school and working as a professional concept artist primarily doing environments for a decent sized game company. I started at $60k annually + 15% bonus and benefits. i am now coming up on my year review and would like to get a feel for what i am making in relation to other concept artist professionals. I would like to have some negotiating leverage in my review. I think my work is pretty solid - i.e. nearly photo-real illustrations in about 2 days depending on subject matter and complexity of scene, which is a substantial improvement over my productivity when i started. so, with a year of experience, a big jump in skill, and 2 shipped titles, what should i expect to be making?

Thanks for your input and time in advance.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i aint no pro, but can we actually see some of your art? thanks.
    Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    id love to but that would kinda break my anonymity.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    being dirt poor myself, 60k sounds like a damn nice salary for one year out of artschool. You're making more than any of my own artschool peers so far as I know.

Thanks
    I doubt many people are going to divulge how much they earn on the forum, since it is generally frowned upon and just one of those "I don't go there" topics, but this might be of help to you and anyone in the gaming industry or looking to join. Good breakdown of the gaming climate ad changing landscape of gaming:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/art...hp?category=33

Thanks
    If you really are that damn good and you feel your company needs to keep you then I don't see why you couldn't ask for a slight raise in salary
    Take a look at greatness
    SSG#10 is your party host
    I'm the standard of greatness and I'm your new hero, baby~

Thanks
    You would be much better off PM'ing some of the pros around here with this question...when it comes to money artists get pretty uptight and uncomfortable....like a guy asking another guy how big his pecker is ..

Thanks
    Don't worry he's PM'ed me a couple of times already..
    Take a look at greatness
    SSG#10 is your party host
    I'm the standard of greatness and I'm your new hero, baby~

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    how did you ship two titles when you are only a year out of art school?

two decent titles shipped would take the entire time you were in art school plus the year you have been out. contributing to two titles in a year is not shipping two titles. the experience from shipping two titles is worth considerably more than just doing some art for a couple projects while you are being trained in the industry. I consider the first year in the industry to be training time. Hand holding. nothing wrong with it..just that is how it is.

odds of getting a raise mid project are slim. budgets are decided beforehand. raises and bonus (extremely rare) are also included in this budget. usually peoples raises are figured out well before any review...for the simple fact that they have to still stay within project budgets..which is one of the first things done when management begins on a title.

your speed is not there yet. if you want more cash, the producers will expect you to do more work. they see it as an asset list on the project. they only have so much cash to do so much work. does this make sense?

just playing devils advocate here...if you deserve a raise and the project has budget, i hope you get one. my guess is that at your current speed of production and experience level, you will not have a ton of leverage. you are being paid very well for where you are at.

best,

j
    Last edited by Jason Manley; September 15th, 2005 at 06:00 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pogonip
    You would be much better off PM'ing some of the pros around here with this question...when it comes to money artists get pretty uptight and uncomfortable....like a guy asking another guy how big his pecker is ..
    3 inches hard.

Thanks
    While you wait for your review, document (in writing) everything you believe would make you deserving of a raise. Once your review is scheduled, that will be the time to present your written & verbal reasons why you derverve more money.

Personally, your present salary plus I assume health benefits are not a bad compensation for someone a year out of school. Your supervisor may also point out that a recent graduate with 1 year's experience can't compare their salary to another more seasoned artist who has been working 5+ years doing the same work.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio