The Bum-(digital portraits)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Bum-(digital portraits)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Bum-(digital portraits)

This is my first time doing portraits in Photoshop. Im looking to get better at digital painting in any way or form. The subject matter was a bum. I just drew the lineart, then made up two different lighting conditions and applied them to the images. Critique this to death!.. So I can keep improving as I continue practicing.

I included the process.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Sirio_Brozzi; September 27th, 2006 at 06:41 AM.
    TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ok please promise me that, in order to improve, youll never use greys to imply shadow. thats a big no no. it flattens the image out, and is not even the slightest bit accurate. one thing you can do is take the original skin tone and lessen the saturation, deepen the value. alternatively, you can mix colours to achieve the correct shadow by selecting your original skin tone, then finding the exact opposite and applying that with a low opacity brush. yellow is to purple as green is to red, that sort of thing. youll get whatever brown is suited to the skin tone, and will achieve a more accurate shade. meh ive probably got that all wrong.. but it seems to work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [ my writing might be hard to read basicaly watch your forms, turn that ear in a little should be about 3/4,your showing side view. as for colors never use dark grey for your shadows.instead use a darker value of the skin tone you started with...keep it up ...hoped this helped at all

paint! you *%$#@#$ u only have 1 life!check out ilad comics at www.iladonline.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The fingers themsleves look nice, but I think the hand should be longer. Also, He should probably be laening on his arm... otherwise... Oh- If he IS leaning on his arm, make it more apparent by foldling the skin over his knuckles. Thas all here. LAter!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stoph: I promise :3 Thanks for pointing those color issues out. Especially using opposite colors to get deeper values! It all makes sense now.

El Norteno: Thanks for pointing out the anatomical quibbles. Ill be sure to be more clean in my digital lineart from now on and vary my lines. I went back and fixed the lineart already.

PixelDragon: I didnt notice that! Thanks for pointing that out. I went back and fixed that little problem so his hand didnt just look like it was floating in front of his face.

Thanks for all the comments/crits so far. Theyve helped alot.

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have to decide whether are coloring a drawing or making a painting. The middle version, with the flat color, is working the best technically, althought the choice of color could be better. You can push this style slightly by adding some subtle gradients or a second value to each color, but the linework should still dominate. If you push the values and modelling much further, then it crosses the line from drawing to painting, and the lines start to interfere. In that case they should be played down (by reducing opacity or changing their color) or eliminated completely.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    You have to decide whether are coloring a drawing or making a painting. The middle version, with the flat color, is working the best technically, althought the choice of color could be better. You can push this style slightly by adding some subtle gradients or a second value to each color, but the linework should still dominate. If you push the values and modelling much further, then it crosses the line from drawing to painting, and the lines start to interfere. In that case they should be played down (by reducing opacity or changing their color) or eliminated completely.
    That actually makes a lot of sense. I guess I might have gone too far, and as you and some other people noted, the lines started to interfere with the rendering. From now on, Ill be sure to keep those questions in my head..Colored drawing, or painting? Thanks for the useful advice.

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad you included the process. The second pic works the best because it is clearly still a drawing, and it has a nice graphic look.

I actually like the skin color in this version, but it really doesn't work when you started shading. The color needs to be much more realistic, not just straight pink.

best,
    emily

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.