How do you fight off laziness or lack of motivation?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Well, it happened - after a stream of months upon months of steady daily drawing and improvement, laziness and lack of motivation has finally set in.

I am going to fight it by just plain drawing, but I want to get a better grip on things so that this doesn't happen again - or rather when it does happen, I can recognize and stop it sooner.

So I ask of the other artists here - how do you fight off laziness? How do you keep yourself drawing every day and motivated?

For me, I felt a surge of motivation before and after the San Diego comic convention, especially after a bunch of my comic artist friends gave me compliments on my sketchbook stuff. I also bought several art instruction books which I plundered for information.

I also tend to get motivated again once I immerse myself in art that I like. Visiting here often seems to get my head screwed on straight for one thing.

Really though, the more weapons I have to fight off lack of motivation the better. So any input would be vastly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    read some hellboy, play with my cats and watch music videos. then i screw my soul on and draw like a crazy man.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Doom
    "You can do whatever you want son, I couldn't possibly be anymore ashamed of you than I already am."

That what my father told my when I was ten and I told him I wanted to be an artist when I grew up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I look into the future...

and see a cubicle...and that scares the shit out of me...thats enough motivation for me

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rascar Capac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ask yourself:do i want to do art for a living? If yes, realize that there is a scary group of amazing artists who want the same jobs you want. A lot of these dudes draw everyday - sometimes all day to get better - while they draw , what are you doing? Only one way dude: draw as much as you can, check out a lot of artist, go have fun and go back and draw draw draw. Get good and then you can get lazy sometimes but not for long hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok...if you are having an attack of artistic super constipation....and your brain is running in the same circles, everything you draw is looking pretty much like everything else that just came out of your pencil, music isn't getting you all pumped up, coffee and nicotine aren't cranking up the old imagination pump....and the abyss of the white page is staring into you....
    1) take a page....and just doodle like you are a 2 year old...let it all out...every scribble every piece of backed up shit you got in your head....let it all just flow out...with no rhyme no reason...just do visual diarrhea..
    2) when you let the crap flow for however long it is you want to....take some of those little gems that might have spattered against the page in step one..and play with them a bit more...feel around...flesh em out a bit..and see what comes of them.
    3) Try a new style...if pencilled comic style is grinding your brain...try something else...that takes you out of your comfort zone..try inkwashes...or pen and ink techniques...that get your mind working in different ways...all to avoid stagnation..Granted when you cross over to something new...don't criticize yourself if it doesnt come out perfect..it's not about making a masterpiece on the first go...it's about getting the imagination and motivation genny back online...
    4) If all else fails take a trip and visit Marko...bring vodka, he likes vodka....and can probably give you better advice than i can. (j/k)
    Hope that helps...if not...sorry bout that...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "How do you fight off laziness or lack of motivation?"

My wife tapes a copy of the current mortgage bill on the monitor...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

10. The Following User Says Thank You to arghmisfit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Obligatory 'look at any "Art of..." Book or "Making Of... " DVD' answer here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm.. definately have to print out that procrastination thing...later.

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arghmisfit
    I was going to give a reply to this thread..then i clicked that link. Even though i didnt feel like a procrastinator, i do now! gah.. good read though.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Times
    How do you fight off laziness or lack of motivation?.
    i call my bank and check my balance!

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working with other people is good. I find I am a lot more productive when I've got someone else around; a drawing buddy or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I fight off laziness and lack of motivation with one of the numerous super-hero tools at my disposal!

Deadlines!

He who asks is a fool for five minutes,
    but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Starting over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Times - Think about what your goal with art is. I think, the stronger the goals, and the stronger your reasons for never quitting those goals, the more motivated you are for a longer period of time.

There's things that will motivate you for a short burst of time to do good artwork, and there's things that will motivate you on the long term. I think, if you find out why you even want to create artwork, and find out whats really most important to you in life as an artist, that will be the long term motivation your looking for. When my motivation and goals are very meaningful to me, I find myself focusing more strongly on those goals. And when ever I loose motivation to continue, I remember why what I'm doing is important, and that importance allows me to break the laziness. But this might not be true for everyone or for you, it's just a thought, good luck.

-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gotta BEST way..!

Well... I just play some music and turn the CA on..! Nothin' better, than that...

Seen mine sketches..? Just look here: .:locked'lines:.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thinkthe guys who mentioned having long-term goals or reasons for drawing have really hit on something.

Rethinking your goals as an artist forces you to come to terms with what you want out of life. As soon as you decide that then your whole body directs its energy towards accomplishing that goal. Even if it is on a subconsious level.

Awesome link man! I've already taken steps to reduce my own procrastinating. I'll finish reading it after I've done a chunk of my homework.

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going to my shitass labour job every morning is more than enough motivation to improve myself.

However, thats not my only reason! A quick look through fav comic books, watch an animation, or even meander through a sketchthread here provides the drive to create stuff that kicks as much ass as them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take a break... Grab a Kit Kat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not by starting threads in the lounge, that's for sure

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Beer.

lol 0kelvin! Its true, while the internet can be a great source of inspiration, it can also eat all your time.

But back to the beer. Buy yourself a sixpack of your favorite beer, keep it ice cold, and tell yourself that you cant have any unless you draw for atleast one hour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find my creative energy ebbs and flows like everything else in life. Sometimes it's a good idea to go do something else. We live in such an ADD society, I try to use that to my advantage. Draw a bit, play some guitar, draw a bit, play a vid, draw a bit. I also like working on more than one thing at once, switching back and forth between pieces always helps bring a new perspective into each one

Slash - good idea with the beer. Instead give yourself one hour to drink the six pack while drawing, playing guitar and playing video games.

c

chris steingart

ca sketchbook 2
    blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get the hell off the net, for one. Then I'll read, or find something important to do. You'd be surprised how easily ideas flow when you're supposed to be doing something else. Get a boring job, carry a tiny sketchpad in your pocket, scribble down your ideas between, say, handing people their coffee-flavored pie-beverages. You know what they say- 'distance makes the heart grow fonder'. You may find yourself thinking about your tired old ideas in a new light, which may lead them off into entirely new realms. Without the actual act of drawing getting in the way, you're free to explore the idea in new ways. Write about your ideas for a while, don't draw. Write in extensive detail and vivid narrative; sometimes the images create themselves through the combined powers of the mind's eye and the concepts carried in words. If you can't write very well, then read more, and write, and read... There once was a time when artists needed to be able to write as well as they painted, and it was for exactly that reason. It generates a powerhouse of creation, and you'll be amazed how soon it works.

We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    -T. S. Eliot

ArenaNet Artists' Sketch Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by M.C.Barrett
    Write about your ideas for a while, don't draw. Write in extensive detail and vivid narrative; sometimes the images create themselves through the combined powers of the mind's eye and the concepts carried in words. If you can't write very well, then read more, and write, and read... There once was a time when artists needed to be able to write as well as they painted, and it was for exactly that reason. It generates a powerhouse of creation, and you'll be amazed how soon it works.
    Great tip man. I myself am only recently discovering that my mind works better if I write things out first. You'd think an illustrator would just visualize the concept, but without the written word I just end up drawing the same thing over and over. To get both sides of the brain to work together, ahhhhhhh, now that would be nice.

c

chris steingart

ca sketchbook 2
    blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 0kelvin

0kelvin
    Honestly, I didn't see the arrow for about 10 seconds of looking at it... Man i've really gotta take some tips from this thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think Dans advice is the best motivator!!!

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Members who have read this thread: 17