Today is... - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Today is...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My father was in the Pentagon when it was hit, he's an Army Colonel. There was mass confusion, hysteria, & disbelief. All phone lines on the east coast were jammed. I kept sobbing and dialing his cell phone numer every 5 seconds, for hours. I can't tell you how it felt, waiting to hear his voice.... if ever again. He survived. Broken Lizard, I'll never see you the same way again.

Elwell, your painting is fucking beautiful. Thank you.

Last edited by Jessica Hook; September 11th, 2005 at 09:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Elwell, what struck me immediantly, besides being a great painting, is that it's not cheesy. I think I'd go as far as saying...classy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, this is very classy and very beautiful. I think the mood is perfect...quiet yet poignant. I hope you'll do another memorial piece for Dec 26th as well.

...+1 exp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hadn't seen this painting until now.

It seems everyone I know, here on the east coast, has lost somebody that morning. I lucked out; thankfully, my brother wasn't at the WTC that morning. He got his work finished the night before, but his company lost 480 people that day.

My father's boss was on the first plane that hit... ...he was supposed to fly out to LA the day before, but spent the day with his family instead.

Two friends of mine from college said goodbye to their mother and grandmother, who had flown to Boston with them from Los Angeles, to see them off on their first day of college. They too were also on the first plane that hit.

Thank you Elwell for paying homage in such an eloquent way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Elwell, Thanks for sharing, that's a great piece. that was truely a scarey day. I remember going to school ( I live in SF) and they told me we were under attack and that planes where falling from the sky. I thought it was a joke. I got back in my car and turned on the radio to hear Howard Stern going on and on about the towers been hit by a plane. All I could think of was my friends who worked in the towers( they made it out, but alot of their friends didn't )
    And even today my family is still involved, my cousin is on the front lines and has been there for sometime.I get calls and emails for him, the stories he tells... there's nothing glamours about war.

Broken Lizard- I can remember what it's like to be young, but I ask you to take a minute and remember that there are a number of people who are still involved because of the event that took place on Sept. 11.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The event made me so angry at the selfishness of human nature back then, and it still does 4 years later. I was up in NY this weekend and I was thinking about the attacks a lot. I also had a friend who had family in the Pentagon... which is somewhat overshadowed by the immensity of what happened in New York.

What makes me just as mad is the opportunistic people who see it as a way to make money...I heard recently there's gonna be a 9/11 movie....there's something on Discovery channel that they're airing a dramatization of the plane that crashed in pennsylvania... it just doesn't seem right to me. People died, which is bad enough, but now their memory is tainted and faked by writers and played poorly by actors... bleh.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Someone posted this link over at poo. Alex Grey about his paintings (.mov video). It's sort of 9/11 relevant.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Where I was on Sept. 11th, 2001

University of Hawaii-College dormitory.
    6am.

I am suddenly woken by telephone. Chills went down my spine, because no one ever calls that early. I knew it had to be urgent, and if so, probably bad news.

My friend is on the other line. She was frantic and out of breath. But she blurbed out as fast as she could, "David! New York and Washington DC have been bombed!"

I threw on some clothes and ran to the front desk of my apartment building. I was an R.A. and had the keys to get in and use the lobby computer. The computer automatically opens at yahoo.com for it's home page, and right there front & center was a picture of the twin-towers in flames! My heart rate went up, and I was scared.

For the following months I had bad dreams of my apartment building being attacked Pearl-Harbor style.

Ewell: Gorgeous piece. Just beautiful. That should be in a musuem for to reflect on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't care how old you are, if what happened doesn't affect you in some way you're just a jackass or sick. I still think about that day now, even without the anniversary or other reminders. It all made me question my life, makes me question my life and think about many other things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a night owl, so naturally I was sleeping when all of it happened... but I remember being woken up by my roomate. We had just moved into a new apartment the day before. He came knocking on my door and said "Terrorists crashed two planes into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, and the towers are completely gone." You can imagine getting woken up to that kind of news. It was like some weird dream and I thought he was just fucking with me at first. "Shut the hell up", you know?

So I got up and turned on the news, and sure enough there it was. To this day it just doesn't seem real. It's like something out of a movie. I remember not wanting to do anything at all for days. We just sat there watching the news. I remember watching Peter Jennings... he never left the desk for like 2 days straight.

I watched that "flight 93" thing on discovery channel tonight and I actually started crying for the first time over those events (I ususally don't cry over stuff... doesn't mean I don't care, I just don't cry very often). It's kinda crazy that it hit me that hard 4 years later.

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by broken lizard
    we got saddam. osama's probably raving mad and extremely malnourished if he's even alive.
    i think he's rather laughing. most of all at this stupidity.
    sorry. i hardly got any info on the subject 'round here. we're all misinformed.
    yes,indeed you are.
    no more comments.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    9/11 was based on hatred. You'll probably give me reasons, but ultimately it's based on hatred.........people are scary.

People seem to harbor an emotion and latch on to it like it sustains them for being and purpose. Then they reject reasoning and acceptance for revenge and contempt.

This is a good piece. It reminds me of the futility and sorrow of mankind because of their inability to reflect before they react.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cotron
    What makes me just as mad is the opportunistic people who see it as a way to make money...I heard recently there's gonna be a 9/11 movie....there's something on Discovery channel that they're airing a dramatization of the plane that crashed in pennsylvania... it just doesn't seem right to me.
    What made me the most sick in that regard was that I had the notion to check Ebay on Sept 11 on a hunch that WTC merchandise would be all over the place...

...and I was right. Sellers using all caps in their titles to sell "rare, never-to-be-seen-again" WTC postcards and posters. All within hours of the event.

-____-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up wow very moving

This is a very moving painting.......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you live with apes, its hard to be clean.

beautiful picture elwell

also.. 35.615 children died on the same day from starvation in the poor
    countries in the world. just worth thinking about next time you buy that
    big-pack snickers -.-

Self-improvement is masturbation, Self-destruction on the other hand....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know people that were lost that day. Elwell's piece is one of the most moving I've seen on these boards, and I can't begin to commend him and thank him for it. I'm tired of seeing broken lizard's name, let alone reading his shit. I hope a moderator bans him, if they haven't already.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so? it's also many people's birthdays, many people's anniversaries, many people's dying days.

i've just, never really cared. until i saw ground zero in new york. then i realised how big it was. but it's stupid that there're building a memorial tower there. it just hits me as wasted money and space.

p.s anybody notice that the two towers' silouette spelled out the number 11? it's a little freaky.
    If you were my younger brother, you would get smacked so hard for that...

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it is a beautiful piece, thank you,Elwell. I agree with one of the other posts that the wax dripping seems more like a tear - leslie

moodywoods

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bump.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the bump Elwell, this is a very moving piece.

- V

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Powerful painting Elwell. Beautifully done.
    A sorry day indeed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was in eighth grade when that happened. I remember the priest coming over and giving us this long talk about not being afraid of the idea of a war. (It was a catholic montessori school... i went for the education, not the religion).
    I also remember thinking that it was all drama, because i didn't realize the importance of the event.

Often there is no more than a little plaque to reveal that, against all gynecological probability, someone very famous was born halfway up a wall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I work for the federal gov't and it's always commemorated here (obviously), there are three 5' tall posters that are covered with the names of the victims... but this is a superb commemoration that captures the essence of most peoples' feelings....

I had just finished an early class (I was substituting in Miami) when I heard the radio...

I know we must remember who fell, but let's not forget how or why - that's the only way to stop it from happening again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what an incredible tragedy for all man kind

Elwell the painting really captures the sense of loss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very poetic, beautiful piece tristan.
    thanks for sharing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cotron

What makes me just as mad is the opportunistic people who see it as a way to make money.

Yep, exactly. Commerative coins of the twin towers? That ain't right.

Art, such as Tristans... Expressions about the subject, that's what art is about.

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with loomers words, exactly those words: simple but strong, and more expressive because of that simplicity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    5 years.....it still feels like yesterday, even for non-americans.

Beautiful work Tristan.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so many memories.....

i remeber being 15 or 16 running inside the wtc for job interview... i remeber meeting my friend shanna for lunch...cause she worked close by.. i remeber seeing the cute little shops..the people... my favorite place was the tube..that connected the buildings (dont remeber which one)

on the day, the towers fell.. i remeber i was at cw post eating breakfast with a friend.. like its no ordinary day... (I still remeber what i ate) my friends cell was going off saying 911.. She picked up her phone... and it was her mom..and she said..find a tv... we were in the student center.. there was a tv... up high in the corner. And for a moment time stopped we all staired at the tv.. 1st plain..hit.. im thinking to myself.. whos the person let them drivie the plane.. second plane hit (.......).
    Its funny...even though its 5 years after, calling up friends and loved ones finding out if there were okay. those who were supose to be there for work.. but just didnt go..

then the next day.. the smell of the towers ..lingered over Long Island...it lasted for days... i still remeber it. like it was yesterday.

i remeber 3 years later i was in japan 3 weeks before the aniversary they did a movie about it. Long story short.. i couldnt take it, had to walk out of the guest room in tears. the 4th year, I saw the site for the first time, accidently not realizing the path train still runs through there. Your underground for so long in the path train and then all of a sudden a burst of sunlight passes through the window.. you open your eyes and you realize where you are... i saw it..the big open space..you see the left over damage of the what used to be the buildings...
    all those people..all those who helped and dedicated the there time.. to the aftermath..
    its so surreal..there are no words to describe it....

*sighs softly*
    time stood still.....
    but now, i think in remeberance, and pray and hope...
    its funny how time flies by so fast... and i wonder would we still feel as tender in 10..20..or even 30 plus years. when we think about the tragedy

sorry for my ramble

Last edited by White Rose; September 11th, 2006 at 09:42 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.