Sketchbook: Danomight's book- Sept 12 - Page 6

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    hi danomight
    nice scetchbook and good progress so far - someone mention earlier that some of your characters lack defined muscles - i think your stuff would really benefit from doin muscle studies ( i know that its boring i don't do myself ) anyway i really dig those figure drawings from life i especially like the messy ones oh yeah and the fat lady ..

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Last edited by Danomight; November 23rd, 2010 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks

Last edited by Danomight; November 23rd, 2010 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks
    You finished the last one, finally
    Great expression, and pose! I'd love to see some more texture on the tree, though.
    Your work is definately picking up
    I love you, Dan, lol.
    CHEERS
    -Loren

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    I've been slaking as of late. I see you haven't man. The figure studies came out nicely over all. The different body types are great and the rendering very well laid out for the time that you had.

Then the three portraits look are nice and I'm loving those a lot. the only comment on that bunch is that the girls face looks flat and her eyes are a bit small.

The last one has a Danomight feel all over it. the pencil control seems good but you lost it a bit in one of the background areas. Directly to our right from his face there is a patch that draws too much attention away from the figure.

Good work man. Love the style you got going.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    hey, loren is always talking about you.. thought I drop by and say hello, seeing as you will be in the thunderdome and all. I notice you and Loren share a very similar style, it's always good to share ideas and thoughts with a friend. Pencil stuffs looking great. Love the life drawings, solid.. 12hours seems ridiculously long though. hehe, cheers

Thanks

Last edited by Danomight; November 23rd, 2010 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks
    Hey Danomight: Sweet characters! Real range of form and shape. Very nice detailing on them as well, especially when keeping in mind the little things. The life drawing is something else again!
    And this last piece is going to be a stunner...Comp is solid. Great foreground shapes and a real focus on the character Can't wait to see more.

Thanks
    Thanks Helzon, you're being too nice

I got some hardcore crits on the last one and I tried to make it better:

Thanks
    Hey man, glad you're still kicking. Looking over all your new stuff I'm seeing alot of cool concepts. The only thing that I get stuck on though is that some of your figures end up feeling a bit stiff in their poses. I think you could push some of them a bit further to give some good sense of weight to the character. Anyways, it's jus something to look out for.

Thanks
    Great!! DAN. wow!! much better figure, environment, and composition. this is awesome!!

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    redFIVE- Good to see you're still around the boards man! Thanks for the comments. I agree about the figures, I think lots of loose sketching will help liven my characters up a bit. I really envy guys like Floris Didden for their loose style.

Tiffany- Thanks for stopping by, glad you like it!

I played with the lineweight some and fixed a tangent up near the statue.

Thanks
    Nice change there in that last one from the original (the wound.jpg). I did like the original soldier more but the environment is much better now.

The figure was not helping the composition in the second one but the change in that third one is helping it a lot.

I would like to see a different approach to the head gear. It looks like a swimmers cap right now. Is that what you intended?

The line work is beautiful, can't wait to see it colored.

Thanks

Last edited by Danomight; November 23rd, 2010 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks
    A character from a personal project.

Thanks
    Paint, Paint, Paint...

That understudy for your painting has got me drooling at the mouth. Come on I wan to see it in color.

The last pencil sketch is solid as always.

Dutton Guest
    Hey Dan! Wow, it's been waaaay too long since my last visit. Going back to an older update, I love the value pattern on your 5.01.06 update. And the character's expression has some real grit, as though he's no stranger to injuries like the one he has. I don't know if you're still working that piece to a finish.... I like the revisions, especially on the last one, but would love to see the values and that character's expression carry over.
    I like this last piece you just posted and like you said, the edgework and subtleties will come in time. But the main things like the value pattern, composition and color palette look great. Is she pointing with two fingers? If so, she might have six fingers on that hand.
    I'd love to see more concept work on the universe you've been creating.... the 6.08 update is almost a teaser! Your personal project is always the first thing that comes to mind when I think of your work.
    Later Dan-o!

Thanks

Last edited by Danomight; November 23rd, 2010 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks
    hey man nice work on the figures up above. There are some that seem to be missing a little something. Like the guy with the dragon tattoos. His shoulders could use a little more definition. Over all its very solid character work.

The Painting looks nice. I prefer the roughness of the black and white image because in the painting the characters look like they are made of plastic. this is due to the lack of highlights in their skin and the uniformness of the coloring. You still did a good job on it and I can't wait to see more paints.

Thanks
    aboslutely love that last post! Everything you've done is outstanding.

Thanks
    Nice work. Your line is getting much better. As a student I think it's a bad idea to use photo refs over life subjects. It's all about good and bad habits. The line and the value.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    great stuff here bud, great drawings.... your pencils are great so much, a lot of things i can learn and try to improve in my works, keep the good work up bud!

Cheers

Icaro

Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words, they keep me working hard

Here's something new, enviros! These are for a collaborative project, including the likes of Interceptor, Cartoonfox, Romance, Kian, and Poise. Eventually we'll all have our turn at developing characters or creatures or enviros or tech, I had enviros first. These are supposed to depict an abandoned desert town, somewhat of a criminal hideout, unfriendly.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Yay, another character drawing. No really though, I'm gonna try and do one a day, really start fleshing out this world in my head

Anyway, I really tried to pay attention to the values in this one, playing with darks and lights, learning how to make edges more believable.

Witch

Thanks
    I really like this latest sketch and i believe you achieved what you were looking for keep up the good work. One thing to note though is you could have placed more darks on her costume but thats just something of an opinion. Good work. Keep it up!!

Thanks
    Very strong character work, and the pencil drawings are pretty amazing.

The environments are nice, I like the mood and the shadow/light relationship in that painting (though maybe the mountains could have been left even looser). Some study into basic construction might add to the believability... for example, the posts/planks holding up the roof. Usually, the beams sit on top of the posts so that the load is transfered straight down (at the moment, the strength of the fixing points/nails are what determines whether the roof stays up). Floor boards also usually sit on joists, which sit on beams, which sit on posts with their footings buried into the ground. There is a heirarchy of structure and it will add much richness to the concept.

I am looking forward to the one character a day!

Thanks
    ashrumm- Thanks for the comment I agree about her clothes...currently it's as if she's wearing all white, or light colored cloth...her leggings could probably be a darker value, maybe her belt too.

meat- wow, you picked up on the parts of that peice I had the hardest time with. I really struggled trying to make the mountains look..suggestive, or "loose" as you put it, but I was worried they were too loose. Yeah, and the house, that took the longest for me to draw, as I sort of built it as I went along, trying to make sure planks fit together. But, I had no idea how a real house is built, lol, I just kinda figured "Hell, this is a make believe location, I'll just take some liberties with the construction." Thanks for the crits, I'll keep them in mind for my next enviros.

I forgot to post this character yesterday, so I'll post another tonight to keep up with the one a day thing I think he's a light footsoldier, hence the light armor and weaponry. Still trying to get a better grasp on values and detail.

Thanks
    why don't you have any stars. this is amazing!

Thanks
    Thanks oma

woah, stars.....I kinda hoped I would never get them, lol, now I have to live up to something!

Colored enviro for Eklipse:

Thanks
    Hiya mate. Just did a superquick overpaint showing how important atmospheric depth is. Your black point (darkest value) will always get lighter and desaturated toward the horizon. You must think of your enviros in 3D. Also your horizon line is off.
    Hope this helps

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1