Thanks

Lightbulb Help needed for Art theme ideas!!

Hi guys,

Just started the fine art AS course at college and we got started working on ideas on a theme we got given for our first assesment. As said in the title, the theme is surfaces. We got given a few obvious starting points like decaying surfaces, textures, patterns and broken surfaces but i want to go a bit deeper and work on a better viewpoint of surfaces than those.

You know that in Art, you can interpret things in any way so i'm wondering whether anybodys got any bright ideas which i could maybe use as a starter. I've thought of one possiblity which is fronts which people put on, to hide their personality. You see the outer surface but their inner surface is much different. You see what i mean by interpreting the word in anyway.

So any ideas?

Cheers

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Given that lots of people "try" to interpret such things in "original" ways...and fail miserably because their rendering skills are absolutely shit, unable to convey the complexities of natural and man made materials - I'd say go the conventional route and render up those surfaces as is, no need to look for deeper meanings in first year, unless you're confident that you're able to wordlessly convey what a material is without telling someone.

Use university to learn technique rather that abstraction, you have the rest of your life to use your imagination, you only have 3-4 to have a guiding hand lead you technically.