Sketchbook: bRØk3n_sPiRiT's sketchbook - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shrooms all seem to be clinging to the walls...maybe you could stick some in the middle of the floor? And something to make it look more dungeony...dunno what exactly...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks max, yeah, I agree, I thought that there were too close to the walls and none on the floor...

I tried making an update, added a few little mushrooms to the path and fiddled with the contrast a little

I didn't want to add mushrooms that were too big for the floor, but I didn't want to look bare at the same time, because I figgured the charachters would be walking around there. Oh well : S

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DUUUUUUUUDEEEE the last anatomy studies!!! are so good!

Muuuuuy buenos estudios de anatomia, mis respetos, ya me
    inspirastes para que sigua aciendolos, demonios si te has
    vuelto bueno!! acerca del utimo paisaje de cueva los hongos
    tienen una textura muy similar a la de las paredes y eso aplana
    la imagen, ademas todo esta renderisado con le mismo destalle lo
    que hace que no tengas un buena lectura, y eso tambien tiende
    a aplanar la imagen, porque no tratas de reducir un poco la textura
    en la fondo y deajs solo dos de los hongos mas cercanos con el detalle
    que tienes ahora? talvez ayude a generar mas profunidad, yo tambien
    tengo millones de problemas con mis paisajes, solo estoy repitiendo
    lo que me digo a mi mismo cuando algo no me esta funcionado,
    espero te sirva de algo nos vemos luego!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey martin, long time no see your thread.
    Lot of good stuff happening. These torsos are looking sweet, keep at it.
    Sorry but the short reply, i'm in a ciber right now, i can't access to CA from home, i don't know why.
    cheers

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, just wanted to stop by and how much I enjoyed seeing your improvement here.. espeically on that Nov.16th post.. great work.. like that mushroom enviro also.. keep up the good work

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic work here - the COWs are great! I especially love the anatomy studies.

~~QS

Website | Blog | Sketchbook

UK Sketch Group (FaceBook) - Check here for details on upcoming meets!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fucking hell, I had written a long post answering you guys and then it said "you are not logged on" and it got erased

So I'll have to make it quick

maxetormer, como va! Really good call on the mushrooms image, I had thought that it looked flat but I didn't know what to do. I tried knocking down the textures on the wall, don't know if I succeded too well. But I get what you were saying, and its a good point to remember. Thanks man, and thank you for the really kind words, nos vemos luego : )
    Por cierto, empezaste el thread de local artists que una vez habiamos hablado? Busque pero no encontre : S

Hey Diego, it sucks you cant access the site from your house : (
    CA is being weird lately, they are changing servers I think, and adding new stuff. Thanks for the kind words, I really value your support. I'm waiting for your sketchbook update : )

vigostar, thanks! I have no plans on stopping any time soon, heh. Thanks again : )

Quicksilver, thank you! I really enjoy participating in C.O.W.

The update on the mushrooms enviornment of the week, I tried to correct what maxetormer pointed out about using the same texture for everything and thus making the image read as flat. I dont think I succeded too well because I used a blender in painter to do it, when maybe it would have been better to use a brush. But I wanted to do it quick. Next time I'll take my time : S

some female torsos

And some feet. I don't have much written material on feet, Figure Drawing for All its Worth dedicates only one page exclusively to them. The most complicated thing so far realizing the basic shape construction of them, which I admit I have not had a notion yet. I tried to approach them in a similar way to hands, but still have not realized the basic 3d configuration. Which means, I should do more studies.

More feet commin' up.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited by brokk; November 18th, 2005 at 04:24 PM. Reason: forgot to include the mushrooms image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    muSHRoOms, O_O great.
    carefull with ur shadows on round and curvy things. u might wanna add more shadows on some areas again.
    Like ur concept, and the texture of the one on left, the biggest one.

FOotS. woo big toe nails ;p
    really like the way u show the colume of ur studies. great. do u use a ref to do diff view of foot??

¤Sketch FACTORY¤

THe Cookie Factory StuDio
    Ryn
    --
    Project SOle.ca
    ¤ ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ ¤

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the mushrooms, I think toning down the texture on the walls was a good move. But in the process you seem to have lost some of the highlights on the inner edges, which makes the whole thing look a bit duller. Also, I think I might be seeing some compression artifacts--you might wanna turn up the jpeg quality a little for the final submission.

I really, really like those foot studies. The toes look extremely toe-like.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 543 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    congrats
    i can see your upgrading and i really apreciate the quantity of your work. keep going that way cuz you'll be high.
    i really like you cause you work alot.
    think i'm gonna get your thread in my signature for support...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for stopping by my sketchbook, it should be working now
    unless the image i added today screwd me up again....
    anyways things are picking up for you
    looks great, keep em comming
    I really like the mushroom cave, yet the ground could still use some alge, more shrooms, tree vines, leafs, something to fill in the plain space
    too bad you got rid of all the detail on the update
    I say when you find some time go back and finish if you feel it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey martin, how is it going?
    These studies are coming along really nice. Lots of good stuff. Are you using reference for the torso studies?
    Cheers man, keep the hard work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, whats up

HEROIC, yeah I use my own feet as reference. You're totally right on the shadows of the mushrooms, but it was somewhat deliberate, I really wanted to show details or something like that. But I guess it could have been better to establish the shadows more properly. The round is now over though : P
    Thanks, and I'm glad you liked it : )

max1975, yeah I noticed that too... it was a bit of a struggle, but hopefully I've learned something from it... next time I'll try to keep an eye for where I try to put textures and stuff. Hey your mushroom entry turned out nice by the way : ) Glad you liked the foot studies.

_^SlayeR^_, cheers man, it was my intention originally to post a lot of images every time I posted, but I realize it could take some time to download, so now I'm trying to distribute my posts more evenly... or something. Thanks for the support, I'm really flattered

BAKI, ah cool, I'll go check then : ) Yeah, I guess I should finish it sometime... the deadline is over, but it would be smart to work on it, too bad I'm lazy : S maybe some day. Thanks for the crits, and I agree on them.
    Yeah, I kinda feel "ehh" about the detail loss on the walls, but I think it helps the image more on an overall level. Gotta keep an eye for these things I realize

Diego, hey man, good to see you again Things are ok. For the torsos, on some I use photo reference (from here and here) on others I use my own torso as reference, and others are without any reference. Thanks for the support man.

Creature of the Week #29 - Tentacles

Illness Eater
    We may have just discovered the cure for every known illness. During our expedition to the uncharted regions of the newly colonized jungle world of Soen III, we have retrieved several specimens of a rather curious species. They dwell in murky pools ridden with diseases, as our terrain analysis demonstrated. Surely, through years of evolution, these creatures have adapted to living in the most hazardous conditions, and this developed a very adaptable and resiliant inmunological system. We have studied their cellular behavior when exposed to new illnesses, and they can manage to counter everything. This, applied to human matters, could lead to the development of the ultimate cure.
    It should also be noted than the more they develop antibodies for countering illnesses, the more they grow in body size. They also become more agressive and keen. Since they are able to coexist with diseases without apparent harm to themselves, the military sector has shown interest in the possibility of military use of these specimens, using them either to research new bacteriological offensives, or using the specimens themelves as biological weapons.

More feet. I think I discovered how to divide them in proportions, I divide the foot by four.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey martin, really good studies, very clean and detailed.
    Thanks for the links, very useful.
    What books are you using for your anatomy studies?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Drawing the Head and Hands" for the hands.

On these last things, no books.
    I just use myself as reference, either looking directly or at a mirror.

On feet, I'm discovering pretty much everything on my own. I use my own feet, I haven't studied from photos yet (but I most likely will). I have no written material on feet. Those pages like feet03.jpg may seem taken from a book, but they're not, they are my own feet, and those texts were written by me. It says nothing tremendously important, just that I found out that divinding the foot in 4 gives you nice proportions to place the main features. I approached them somewhat similarly to hands, in the sense that the foot also has a heel, like the hand, and stuff like that. Also it is hollow on the bottom and curved on top, somewhat like hands.

For the foot bones, I searched for foot references online, mostly gimnastic/medical sites turned up, and there were some bone diagrams. I just copied them and payed attention to the divisions they mentioned, which are three, forefoot, midfoot, and hindfoot.

Figure Drawing for all its Worth only has one page dedicated to feet... and it doesn't really address the structural construction. So I have to resort to other things like medical sites and pretty much figure stuff out for myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good GAWD that's a lotta studies! I feel hella lazy right now..hehe.. I'm diggin on the lines for the transdimensional dragonhunter-CHoW! Hope you bring the colorversion to the same clean finish! Crit on the degenesis-CHoW.. the shinbone on the leg towards us is wonky.. it slants diagonally, looks like it connects to the side of the ankle. Also, he looks a bit like he's got two left feet...
    Diggin' on the concept, though!

Keep 'em coming!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ChoW: Great design, wonderful detail. Very good hands, too, but you can do better on the feet. Legs look a little weird--take a look at the decorations on the shin, they're at very different angles and that's throwing things off. Also he doesn't look very well-balanced, but that might not be a bad thing in this case--he's not so off-balance that he's gonna fall over, and it creates a slightly disturbing effect that may actually be advantageous.

Didn't the brief say something about him being in a cold environment? Which would make things a little chilly, being nearly naked like that...but maybe he's just that tough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your studys look very nice and chow 5 looking good too but its so cold there in that degenesis world

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dig in your studies, keep em going, dont ever give up.

Each one, teach one. P e a c e

VS

Check out My Sketchbook

Latin & Spanish Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dCepT, good call! I didn't see that. I tried fixing it, hope it looks better. Thanks man.

max, cool thanks. Tried to correct the foot a little. Yeah, its just that there's a lot of Degenesis charachters running around naked in the Degenesis setting it seems, but I'd guess they're more near the mediterrenean. I guess he's just a tough old bastard

thief, yeah, and a lot of them are half naked I guess they're the ones more near warmer climate... oh well.

jtheanswer, thanks man, that really encourages me. I'll try to keep pushing it.

Update on the chow 5, tried correcting the feet and shinbone a little, hope this is comming along better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW !! Great sb mate lots of good studies !! Thanx a lot for sharing...im inspired
    KEEP POSTING !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol, thank you shyamshriram! I will try to keep posting

update on the chow 5, maybe I should loose the text

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey broken,

woow woow woow, i cant express how much i love your studies. They look
    so solid and excellent.

The torso studies, look great and you have really improved from the first ones, the first ones did look a bit flat, but then you got the important muscles in and now your getting the hang of it, do some more!

The mushroom picture, as a whole, looks great, but the right hand mushroom, needs much more shading around the back of the mushroom. Plz finish it!

The foot studies look super and look really professional with your own notes. The chow 5 picture does need a little bit of work around the neck/head area. Your guy(dont wanna be mean) looks like hes hasnt got a neck at all, try and wipe the excess hair away from the front of the neck and add a neck(if that makes sense)

keep it up man with the studies and ill be back!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the presentation on the update. How did you do the paper texture?

The figure could maybe use a little color, but just a little. Maybe a 10-15% tint to make him pop out a little more, without obscuring the pencil work or the texture behind him.

That shin is still bothering me a little, for the same reason I described before. But it's not a big deal. This ChoW may have my vote, but maybe I should look at the others first

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Qxzi, lol thanks. On the mushroom pic, you're right, it does need more shadow. But I've started on my e.o.w. #06 entry and I still need to tackle this week's c.o.w, on top of that I should be doing my studies which I have been neglecting
    I'll try to finish it sometime in the future... but I don't know if I will... I'm kinda lazy : S But you are right on the crit, and I will keep an eye for overall shades now.
    Lol, you are not being mean , on the chow 5, I actually think the head is misplaced, he actually has too much neck I think. But the beard/hair kinda hides it... If I can find the time before the deadline I will try to correct if, if not, I will keep an eye for it for next works.

max, the paper texture was done in this way: I grabbed a regular A4 computer paper and threw some ink, tempera, and water all over it, and smeared it all over the page. I threw some more water and stuff, then I let it dry in the sun. It got all crackly drying up, but you can crackle it into a ball if it doesn't I guess. Once it was dry, I scanned it, and on an new layer in photoshop I set the mode to "color" and chose a yellowish color, then I merged the two layers, and then adjusted the brightness/contrast. I think I had a white background and dropped the opacity too, but I can't remember.
    Yeah, I did try to put in some color, just a yellowish tone in color mode, I think there is a slight difference between between these two last pics, but maybe it needs just a bit more. Its daytime here and things look different on my monitor during the day to how they look during night time.
    I tried to correct the shin a little, on what dCepT was pointing out, but the balance thing is still there.
    Lol, I'm really flattered... but yeah check the other entries first... hehe. I'm really liking solorpower's entry, but I want to wait to see all of them as well.

Sorry I'm not really implementing your crits guys, I feel like an asshole its just that I've got several things to tackle right now, and I'd rather correct these when I'm done with the stuff I'm doing right now (but to be honest, I dont know if I will... I'm lazy...).
    But you are right in your crits, and I do value them, so please, don't take this as if I'm not listening. I am.

Cheers, hope to see you all again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found THIS online, I need this drink! I don't even know what it is, but now I'm super pumped!

Lol just kiddin' Though it was kinda funny finding it.

Decided to loose some of the text on the chow5

Starting with the leg studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    solorpower's is very good, an awesome rendering actually, but I like your concept best of the ones I've seen thus far. Lotta time left though.

Man, that texture sounds like a complicated process. Really works though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, its actually really simple, it sounds complicated but its the most thoughtless process really.
    I mean, you're trying to achieve an aged paper look, dont try to do it in photoshop, just grab a paper and and try to recreate what would happen to it through out time (yeah I'm kinda crazy...) Like, wrinkle it, mess it up, through stuff on it like ink or whatever, hell through dirt on it if you like (I wouldn't recomend it, if you're gonna scan it afterwards).

After that just scan it and fiddle around with it in photoshop, adjust the brightness, give it some color (make a new layer, fill it with the bucket with some yellow color or whatever, set the layer mode to "color").

There isn't "one way", you just gotta experiment and see what works and what doesn't. Just go chaotic with a page, "traditionally", and then tweak it in ps

Last edited by brokk; November 22nd, 2005 at 08:10 PM. Reason: wanted to add brackets to "traditionally" ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey martin, really cool studies, i can see your very motivated, your dedication to study the forms is really admirable, and i'm sure it will pay off, or is it right now with your chow character, shows more confidende, balance.
    Keep the good work dude.
    sALUDOS

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3