Sketchbook: bRØk3n_sPiRiT's sketchbook - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: bRØk3n_sPiRiT's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, waht a bunch of studies martin, you really went one after another, it woild be very difficult for me, beacuse a always look what's in the next page and get carried away very easy, and end up doing just a few.
    You check the Hogarth's dynamic hands, there's a lot of hands to study.
    Anyways, very cool work man, keep up with the studies.
    Cheers

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, I always check the next pages too! Actually pretty often! But the thing is, if I only do some excersizes and move on... I'm cheating no one but myself, so there's no point.

You know, I haven't sleeped yet... its kinda cool, I feel like I'm using my hours well. The only side effect is that I feel really tired, I get dizy, and if I spent too much time without sleeping, I feel like throwing up. But I counter that by eating a lot... which... may not be that all good of an idea... now that I think about it. : P

The loomis stuff I have nearly at the beggining of the sketchbook are only some samples. I've got tons of them lying around, but since I did them a few years back, it feels like I have forgotten everything, or that I didn't really learn how to apply it... just coppied the excersizes...
    So now with this hands stuff I'm going to try and incorporate this into doing hand studies from life, for charachters, etc, something I didn't do with the other stuff. And, I will get back to general anatomy and proportions as well!

I haven't checked out the Hogarth stuff but I see it mentioned a lot, so I'm really curious. I'll see if I can get something.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow.......... Amazing sketches.... your very good at drawing humans and hands.... Those are my weakness.... i hate drawing arms....
    Where did you get the reference pics? or did you took somekinda lessons where they teach that sorta stuff??

Remember.. "There is no spoon"
    You can also visit me at Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Atmo-X, they're from the book "Drawing the Head and Hands" by Andrew Loomis. You can get that book and the others at www.saveloomis.org

Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    che martin, yo tmb hay veces que hago eso de no dormir, vi que posteaste como a eso de las 5:30 de la matina, the only sideeffect is that you inverse your sleepin' rhytm.
    But i always have more energy when i didn't sleep, it's weird but always happens that to me.
    You did those loomis' studies a year ago? keep at it, and keep doing from life. the hogarth book has a lot of hands, a lot, maybe i'll start to do some of them.
    Anyways good stuff man, and kick ass progress in every new post.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some really imaginitive stuff here. I hink the merchant is my favorite so far, good concept, good detail, good characterization, well executed.

Those hands are pretty sweet too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Diego, yeah I want to reverse my sleep cycle to something more normal, but I can never really get it.
    I think I know what you mean, I feel like I have more energy when I don't sleep as well... its strange... maybe you sense that in a few hours you will need to sleep, so you manage you energy for some last efforts before going to bed? Or something like that, I dunno.

The loomis stuff is from a few years back, when I was 18 or 19, except for the hands, I did those yesterday and the day before : P

max1975, thank you! I posted the merchant at the critiques forum and I'm getting really insightfull replies, the guys there are really nice. I'll try to make some changes and updates to it based on the last critiques.

Here is some old Loomis stuff. Its only a selection of 10 pages. I'm not going to post everything I've done, because I have, literally, piles of this stuff. I'm just posting a selection of the anatomy/proportions stuff because I'm going to apply this stuff again, now. You see, the problem is, I feel like I haven't learned how to apply this stuff, even if I did do the exercises. Its like there is a lot that I haven't internalized...

So I will be trying to draw from life and imagination, using this stuff as a guide, re-doing the excersises whenever I have to as well. I'm aiming for internalization of the basic construction of the human form, in 3D, so I can sketch quick rough figures for compositions whenever I have to (pretentious, huh? ;P )

These are some heads I did with a mouse about two years ago with loomis as a guide. It starts from the top left, and goes down and then to the next colums

And here is an old portrait of me, a work in progress that I never finished.

More soon, I'm finishing scanning the newer stuff now. Its not much though.
    Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And, here is the newest stuff

These are my own hands and arm, from life, and using a mirror. Practicing drawing (somewhat) clean lines, foreshortening, and arms/hands.

Basically I'm trying to understand how the form occupies space in 3D. I feel better about going at it this way instead of concentrating only on the visible surface... or something. It makes sense when I think it : P
    For now, hands, and arms, next, upper torso. And next, hips legs and feet, and finally heads. I suspect that the basic feet configuration could be somewhat similar to those of hands. But I could be wrong. We'll just have to wait and see : P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey martin, it seem you have done a lot of loomis. Really nice work.
    I really like the newer stuff, simple but effective lines.
    Sorry i haven't too much to say, i'm like a zombie right now. It's 6:00 am
    So keep the hard work.
    Cheer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    bRØk3n_sPiRiT, damn..that's lot of studies.. good on you for chasing them. It will pay off big time in a very short time. Very solid studies! You should definitely do heaps more of the mirror studies. Nicely structured and you learn heaps. Keep it going dude!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your loomis studies are a lot better than mine. Closer to the actual drawings. You even labeled everything! I suppose I should go and keep practicing those things... Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your linework looks really crisp and clean, I find that difficult to do in my sketchbook. The loomis studies look great (although some seems to favor leaning towards the right) , as do the recent hand studies. I think you did a great job at capturing the form in space.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WTF!!? These studies are great! I'm half a sleep because I spent all night out and then came home at 2 AM to play Zelda: Wind Waker so I'm bad for critz right now. But dude, seriously, I'm impressed. You're really puttin' in some major effort and making me look so very much like a slacker. I guess I need to update my SB soon. And I need to be studying more. You're really going to learn a ton from all these, dude! Keep kickin' this stuff up. Seriously. I'm proud to be your SB support, bro. Too bad you prolly can't say the same for me! Ha! Have a great weekend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really like the arms on that full-body dude in #68. But his chest looks kinda 2-dimensional. If you figure out how to avoid this problem, let me know, because nearly every single dude i've ever drawn also looks like he has a 2-dimensional chest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Diego, glad you like. I know that feeling, its 8:00 am here, hehe... another non-sleeper night. I'm gonna go fix me some fried eggs or something in a while.

bumskee, Min, thank you for the encouragement, I definatly want to do more studies and of other things too. No plans on stopping any time soon. I really like and admire your stuff, thank you again for your kindness : )

BlueMech, you know, I'm not sure I was studying the right way. I mean, whats the point of making your study look as closely as possible to the ones in the book? I concentrated in making them look as similar as possible, but I realize I didn't pay attention to understand or internalize how the muscles work, how they look from different angles in space, how to construct the human figure in space, so thats why I'm doing it now. Thanks for the kind words.

SirGreenSock, thank you man, that really cheered me up. Its one of my main goals right now, understanding the form in space. My lines are actually very chaotic... you can witness that at the first page of the sketchbook. I only started practicing cleaner lines because of the replies that I got here, so I'm really gratefull for that. And I'm actually "cheating" because I make a rough sketch in blue pencil first, which doesn't show much when scanned, and then I go over the lines I like with a 2B. What do you mean about favoring leaning towards the right? I didn't get that : P

Zebz, you have Wind Waker!? Cool! Ughh... I wanna play the new Zelda game so bad... the Twilight Princess one. But its for gamecube if I'm not mistaken, and I can't afford that right now. I did play The Ocarina of Time though, and man, that is my favorite game ever! Such a cool story, and I love the gameplay and the visuals. I haven't played Wind Waker, but the only thing that I kind of don't like is the new charachter designs... they look too cartoony for me But thats just personal taste.
    Glad you like the studies, I have no plans on stopping Dude, I'm proud to be your sb support! Your new figure studies are really cool. Speaking of which, we could get more people into our sketchbook mafia : P Anyone interested?

max1975, thanks man, yeah I totally see what you mean and I agree. The trick I think is to think of the 3D construction, instead of concentrating only on what you see on the visible surface, or something. I don't know how to resolve the chest yet. Right now I'm focusing on arms, but upper torso and then waist/legs is comming after that. You know, for the limbs cylinders seem to work ok, and spheres for the joints. But the chest doesn't seem either spherical or really cylindrical... its like this oval, irregular shape... I dunno, I'll have more thoughts on this (hopefully) when I get to the upper torso studies. I'll keep you posted ; P

Allright, update time, I haven't got much to show in quantity. Maybe thats better, more frequent updates with less quantity. Oh well, I guess it depends on the day.

Creature of the Week #28 - Swamp Beast

Swamp Glider
    These large creatures are insectivores. They fly above and across the swamp water, just out of the reach of bigger predators. With their multiple wing pairs they can manouver quickly through the air, despite their size. They can also hover suspended in mid air like a hummingbird, just above the water to drink through their circular needle-like facial appendage. The crests on their back and head are mating devices, used to call the attention of the opposite sex. Their main diet consists of small flying insects, which they catch with a muscular tongue-like organ that shoots out from a hole in their heads right below the middle of the eyes, which is sticky in the end, and can retrieve back just as quickly as they shoot.
    (Many thanks to Fozzybar for the critiques in the cow forum and for showing me what he meant with a paintover!)

Chow #003 Transdimensional Dragon Hunter
    This was the brief provided:
    Serren, Transdimensional Dragon Hunter

Serran is human, but from an alternative dimension, so there’s some oddness about her that you can’t quite place.

She is controlled, manipulative, treacherous, vile, cunning, a murderer and a technophile, loving all sorts of technology with a special love for Jules Vernish mechanical aparati and gadgets. She views pretty much everyone else as a tool of some sort to be used or exploited for her own ends, including her employers.
    Physically, she’s roughly about mid height (about 5 ½ feet), slight of build, with pale skin, though not albino. Her features are not ugly, but not unpleasant to look upon either. She typically wears an authentic WWII American Bombardier’s Jacket, and often wears a necklace or belt made from dragon teeth (small ones).

And here's what I came up with

I didnt include the jacket... I was lazy
    I notice proportion/anatomy problems now that I look at it. Also, I had to really rush on the painting, I did it the same day as the deadline Need to manage my times better.
    I included a dumb description just for fun but it didn't get included with the image for the poll:
    "Hi! My name is Serran! I'm 26, female, and from another dimension. I enjoy doing crossword puzzles, long walks at the beach, interdimensional traveling and dragonslaying.
    I'm really lonely killing these dragons all by myself, so you guys and gals out there willing to acompany me on my interdimensional journies are most welcome to! We can go for mai-tais or piña coladas later, whatever you preffer. Then you can maybe show me what the nightlife is like in your dimension, I'll wear my dragonslaying gear ; )
    Here I'm sending you a portrait of me, done by a lazy artist. See how my facial tattoos make me look like I'm pouting? I'm actually angry if you look at my eyebrows, because the artist was taking too long. Thats my angry face. Grrrr.
    Guys and gals interested in this add can reach me at serranthedragonslayer@crazydimension.com

Hope to hear from you and kill a few dragons. Buh bye!
    Serran"

Oh well. And here are the lines. They look messy, I know

I wanted to paint those little details in the line version... but there just wasnt time. That was a good experience though, because I was forced to do the most important parts fast withouth getting caught up with the details. Maybe next time.

And here are some arm studies

Allright, now I'm gonna go make me some fried eggs. See you guys later : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, your studies are great! You look like you're getting a real three dimensional feel for the way the body is rendered.

The drawing of the girl (with blades) is also very nice, but i think that the coloured version lets it down somewhat. Just get some real skintone practice down and you could have some really great peices here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mull, thanks : ) Yeah, I really need to do some painting studies of people, I'll try to get to that soon. Thanks for the comments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the creature and character of the day works. The creature has some really nice texture. The crit I have is on the character, maybe do some touch-ups to her outfit (the darker blue, the lights look good) to suggest the material. The character has impact, its just that one detail that makes me think its not quite finished.
    The recent hands look good, too.

There is no such thing as "cheating" in art (unless you plagarize), using photo-blue pencils is actually a great way of getting lines cleaner.
    Sorry I wasn't clear about the "leaning", what I mean is that the studies such as this and this lean towards the right. I only saw this in the Loomis studies, so its not a problem, just a detail to look at.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woooh man, great loomies studies.

The hand poses are AWESOME< real soilid,
    the cg character looks great too.
    WOw , really liked ur studies.
    awesome.

I really like that cow #23 of urs, great texxture .
    hooooray, posr more studies

¤Sketch FACTORY¤

THe Cookie Factory StuDio
    Ryn
    --
    Project SOle.ca
    ¤ ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ ¤

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    o man o man, hey broken,

i really love your studies, they just seem so smooth and 3d

#67, that first picture looks great, amazing detail and some good little notes. The ones below it look so realtisic, solid and excellent. And it looks so much like loomis drew it for you, or you actually got the page from the loomis book and put in on your sb.

Your hand/arm studies look great also, one quick question about them, did you teach yourself?

Picture Chow #003 Transdimensional Dragon Hunter, the light on her hand swords thing look great to me. And like you said, maybe there is some anatomy faults, but you actually cant really see them in the painting, another quick question, did you do the colour with photoshop?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SirGreenSock, thanks. Yeah, I agree that the charachter looks unfinished, I had planned painting it more... but the deadline was really close : S
    I'll see if I can finish her sometime, but I'm kinda lazy... but I will try to manage my times better and finish up a next character more.
    I see what you mean leaning towards the right now. Damn I didnt notice that on those... maybe I had the page a bit tilted when I was drawing. I'll keep an eye for it now, thanks.

HEROIC, thanks : ) I'm thinking about doing the new cows with pencil like I did with the old ones... but at the same time, I want to practice digital painting. Oh well
    I plan on making more studies : )

Qxzi, thank you. No, Loomis didn't draw it for me, and no, I didn't paste the page on my sketchbook, haha If you're skeptical about that, look at the feet of those leg studies, they are not aligned! Loomis has them all aligned. Why aren't mine on the same line? Well, because... I'm a stupid person
    The arm/hands studies, well, I learned them this week actually! So yes, I taught them to myself a few days ago : P Actually, thats not entirely true, if it wasn't for the Andrew Loomis books I wouldn't have learned anything. The hands/arms without the notes are my own, and the ones with notes on page 1 of the sketchbook are from "Drawing the Head and Hands" by Andrew Loomis. You can get that book and the others at www.saveloomis.org
    Actually, I think the anatomical errors are evident in the color version mainly in the hips and legs area. I need to make more studies, I'm working on it
    No, I colored it in Painter, and then tweaked it a little in photoshop, just messed with the channel mixer and the hue saturation and contrast a little.

Ok, small update, some upper torso studies. They look a bit disproportionate and messy, I'm working on it, I assure you

Next up, a few more upper torsos, some female ones, and then legs/feet/hips. After that, heads, and then full figures, yay! : P

Thanks again guys, c ya soon : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey broken,

thanks for the sketchbook post. your works seems to be getting better with your practice, with your exercises desplaying wquite a good growth on anatomy handling. not much else to say, really. keep it up, and thanks again.

Woodruff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nice

Wow these are some extensive exercises! You can't go wrong with loomis. Where do you study?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chests are looking better in the new torso studies. The fronts is still looking a little flat, try to get some more dimension on the pecs I guess. But there does seem to be more volume there than in the last one I commented on.

Arm structure's looking really good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Azeira, thanks, I'm trying Now go update your sketchbook

DavidArt20, Loomis is great. I do these excersizes on my own.

max1975, cool. Yeah I notice there is flatness still... I'm working on it Thanks again man.

Some more male upper torso studies. Next up is females, then feet/legs/hips then heads & full figures (whew!)

From photos. Its hard to not try and copy the photo literally, but instead look for the 3d shapes.

a bit more muscular

And these ones were without ref, just trying to recreate the shapes and muscles to really try and interiorize the basic structures at least.

See you soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice, nice, nice! Now I want to see you apply some of this new, cool knowledge, dude. Hit me up with something tasty! Sorry I haven't been a very good sketch group buddy. I'm busy and then too lazy to scan. I'm gettin' there tho. Promise.

One crit, or suggestion really, is to maybe research origins and insertions. If you know how the muscles connect to which bone and how each bone moves, I dunno. It's helping me quite a bit. Makes you think of the figure like a working machine rather than an abstract mass. It helps! Ok. More later. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice, the torsos look good. You said some are from photos, where do you get your refs from?
    Some of the torsos seem to get too thin towards the waist, but otherwise look great. Try doing a variety of body types.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Torsos look good, use your anatomy knowledge to explain the why of those forms. Take note of pectoralis minor when the arms are raised, and make sure the head of the humerus is beneath the acromion and clavicle to keep it from sticking out too far like on nov 14.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zebz, yeah I definatly want to study up on where the muscles insert and how, what range of motion they can make, etc.
    Hey no worries, its all good Just keep workin' (and having fun of course) : P

max1975, lol, I'm trying.

SirGreenSock, yeah, body type variation is on my to-do list, definatly want to get to that too. For refs I'm using mostly this and this.

armando, I didn't quite get that, what do you mean with explaining the why of the forms? Good call on watching the bones, the collarbone area is tricky I'll keep an eye for it.

Guys, thank you so much for taking the time to crit, and thank you for your kind words, really. Go update your sketchbooks!

So I'm working on my entry for the enviornment of the week, topic is Fungal Tunnel. Its pretty much done, but please feel free to crit it or speak your mind, I could make more changes to it, I have until Sunday to turn it in.

Enviornment of the Week 05

Fungal Tunnel
    Game setting:
    The Fungal Tunnel is a gateway-dungeon that connects the two main northeastern regions between the mountains. Besides being a conecting point, it is also a mini-dungeon by itself, with hostile monsters, treasures, and quest oportunities. There are also several entrances, some hidden, some not, to other underground areas, and to more extensive dungeons beneath the mountains.
    Location description:
    The Tunnel is abandoned. Several species of mushrooms of all sizes from enourmous to diminute can be found growing on the floor. On the walls, species of lichen crawl the Tunnel's upper surroundings.
    Possible monsters: Kobolds, Trolls, Sentient Fungi
    Other information: some mushrooms and fungi can be picked up. What you can do with them varies, they can be used in potion preparation, sold, cooked, or eaten raw (Flora Knowledge would be advisable, or be equiped with the Fungal Tome).

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3