Tres Grande Vitesse
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tres Grande Vitesse

Hi
    This was one of those "recapturing the romance of transport" type briefs, to design a dramatic backdrop for a piece of handluggage.
    The bladefront contains a bar ahaid of the drive unit, which narrows until wide enough for one person to stand in the front of the nose watching the scenery streak by.
    Further sketches which I've yet to scan and render show the single large wheel that each carriage rides on. Each wheel is canted and the whole train is gyrobalanced by the large spinning mass of the wheels for rock-steady stability.
    These are the first sketches from the project, hope you get where I coming from!
    al

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Open the pod bay doors, please, Hal...Open the pod bay doors, please, Hal...Hullo, Hal, do you read me?...

While it's very cool, it doesn't so much remind me of the "romance of transport" as much as it reminds me that we still don't have an affordable, reliable personal jet pack. In the second image, the train doesn't actually read like some sort of conveyance as much as a weird wall.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know there'd be fights to be the one person in the front to get the window seat...

DIBS!!! (I gots a knife, gimme the window seat...now.)

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While it's very cool, it doesn't so much remind me of the "romance of transport" as much as it reminds me that we still don't have an affordable, reliable personal jet pack. In the second image, the train doesn't actually read like some sort of conveyance as much as a weird wall.
    That is the problem with these future transport jobs; its tacitly acknowledged that these things will not happen in the short to medium term, and certainly not in the UK.
    I also agree the train loses some of the impact afforded by the extreme perpective in the quick sketch in the final render; the intention was to give the feel of restrained power, but it just looks static.

As for the window seat, perhaps it could be made into a stamina event like standing at the bow of a ship (I'm the king of the world -blaaaaaarrrf-) ie spectacular but freezing?

Incidentally, the Born To Kill Nam vet and his Private Pile demon are my wallpaper at work now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Megarise

How do? I scribbled a few variations on this theme out last night for a fun project: the view is from a villa on the sloping summit of a gigantic arcology, like the one visible in the distance in central LA. The stalk is nanofactured diamond fibre, and the fifty penthouse floors are decorated to look like the slopes of a mediterranean hillside or alpine meadow dotted with chalets.
    This is a sort of scene-setting sketch, but the perspective is a bit formal and not very dynamic. Still, worth a bit of Photoshop loving to see what happens..

Last edited by blexarady; September 13th, 2005 at 04:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your first sketch has a kind of interesting energy, which is TOTALLY lacking from your 3D render. I know this tends to be the problem with 3D renders (and is the main reason 3D haters hate it so much), but there is no reason is has to be THIS dead.

Camera project your sketch onto the geometry, rough up your polygons, render it with mentalRay, paint some custom specularity maps, learn complex shader writing - SOMETHING! I actually got quite excited by your sketch, and then felt rather let down by the render.

As to your last sketch (the 'arcology') - it's another fascinating idea. But as the drawing stands, I can't really begin to work out what's going on. If you hadn't explained it, I would have guessed it was a concept for a futuristic garden shed - a cool concept, but nothing like what you intended...

Work these up some, and post again - love to see them.

AJ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

In the future there will be Leilandi. Lots of them.

I totally agree that the render has a much less dynamic feel; theres certainly work to be done there but I like the idea so I'll keep playing!

I've been toying with colour on the above sketch. I still think the viewpoint is a bit static but its a good way of dusting off my rendering after 3 monthes of drawing schools and hospitals in plan views -yaaaawn-.
    al

PS Incidentally Alex how did you go about getting intern work in the movies? thats EXACTLY what I want to do! At the moment I'm working as a CAD architect, and have been sice I graduated in June. I'm trying to save some dough to go to a car design masters in Milan I got onto, but an interneship would we awesome!

Last edited by blexarady; September 15th, 2005 at 08:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Added a rather garish swimming pool in lunchtime; not sure. Definitely needs another car in the air to show it isnt a garden shed.
    The compositions a bit boring too, I might start again with a more dramatic viewpoint.

Last edited by blexarady; September 15th, 2005 at 08:26 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the speedpainting work on the site, here's my attempt. its a bit rubbish but working fast is really good fun isnt it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A spaceship in the 'ooh wierd forms must mean alien high technology' theme. i'm not sure what the rest of the crap on the page was about, it was getting early and you know how it goes..

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.