My WIPs and odd sketches
 
View testimonialsView Artwork
Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the Middle of no where...
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Red face My WIPs and odd sketches

    Okay, this will be a place were I place wips of pictures. Now, I don't mind some critiqueing, but, please be aware, that sometimes I have worked a bit too far to fix it, or the medium I am drawing in is not easily correct. (ie. pen and ink) Thanks very much. Take care.

    This is a more realistic sketch of my chracter Lune. I have been working on it recently, and have fixed some of the mistakes you can see here. I just would like to have you guys see what I am working on right now. ^^

    My WIPs and odd sketches

    Lune in my normal style of drawing wich is of course Anime, though a bit more realistic than most. ((It was forced upon me by an art teacher... >.<)) It's just from a large unfinished sketch of he and his two brothers. I love the way it turned out though... ^^

    My WIPs and odd sketches

    I will upload more later.^^

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Posts
    2,347
    Thanks
    255
    Thanked 136 Times in 60 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Your facial anatomy needs a lot of work. You are not showing any of the musculature or skeletal structures, you are just drawing long, narrow egg shapes, and then putting symbols of a mouth, or an eye on them, with a nose in between, and a bunch of long stringy hair on one side. Although Manga oriented (they are not animated, so are not anime), which is usually very formulatic, these two pieces are so inconsistant that I would not have thought them to be the same character, had you not told us.

    This character "Lune," has no personality. He has overly large pointy ears with too much junk hanging off them (no wonder they bend so hard), and he needs a haircut. That's about it.
    * His eyes look different in size and shape from one picture to the next
    * The length of his face is different everytime you draw it.
    * The shape of the noses and the ears is also different in each picture.

    You need to refine your drawing style for consistency. If this is a character you created, you should write down as much about him as you can, and then try to draw the description.

    Practice making circles until you can draw 5 of them one after another, each one the same basic size and roundness as the other 4...

    Practice drawing an entire head before trying to cover it up or hide flaws with a bunch of hair. You need to be able to draw a head with cheekbones on both sides, and eye sockets, showing the depth of hollows in the skull where eye balls reside.

    Read and practice some face/head tutorials, so you can learn to place features correctly and more balanced on the face.

    Practice drawing something else besides "Lune," to sharpen your eye-hand coordination. Something "real," not "imagined," like your foot, a piece of furniture, or a Still Life.

    Keywords you should focus on are:
    Consistency
    Anatomy
    Depth
    Form
    Value

    ~M

    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the Middle of no where...
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Unhappy

    Thank you so very much for the critique. I do very much understand that I have a long way to go. I am only seventeen, and I don't expect meself to be the art genius my art teachers think me to be. In fact I think I am quite bad at most things, however, that is beside the point. As for "personality" I am currently working on expressions on my MANY characters. I actually rarely draw Lune, but, these were the couple of sketches in my photobucket account.

    As for inconsistancies. Forgive me. I try to make the character look as close as possible. Face length sometimes is shortened, because I am sketching not drawing. I usually try to keep the same shape and markings. The reason his ears are so big, is because he is a part elf. I will not go into the details. And, I never knew there was anything wrong with artists being gothic/puck. I wonder if you would get on a very popular artists but for having some twenty earings on their characters ears. Probably not. Besides that fact, I am mainly self taught, though I do take art classes. I KNOW my drawings have inconsistancies, and I work on each one at a time. Trying to tackle all of my bad points would be murder.

    Write down... He was a crack drawing at first a year ago, I am slowly refining him and my style. I want to find a style I am comfortable with, before I do something set. I am sure even you can understand that. And the eyes... Well one is Manga therefore the eyes are a bit bigger I suppose. And the other is supposed to be realistic. I am working on drawing from life. I a currently working on a self portrait by the way. Though realism quite bores me along with still life. It's not that I can't do them (because I have), it is because I don't FEEL like doing them.

    Um, the bottom one is a "sketch" That means I was dorking around and not actually drawing. I drew in the hair, then tried to make it so you could see the lower part of the eye, which failed miserably. But I don't since it is a sketch. A

    I've drawn things from life. I do it from time to time. But, I am a very imaginative person. (I thought all artists were) So I get wisked away, and draw what I feel like. I see no wrong in drawing how and what you want. What defines REAL artists is not the ability to draw real things. It is the ability to draw, and draw what you like. AND! I am going to hopefully take an anatomy class next year. By the way, I learn by eye. and sometimes it takes me half a year or more to refine things to make it right. Good thing I didn't post one of my full characters... I'm SURE you would have found something wrong with that too... Thanks again. I will be keeping those things in mind. But, since I am the artist, I will use and forget them how I want. If I don't feel like doing it... I won't.

    I'm so glad... There are nicer people out there.

    -Syan

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    351
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireSyan
    Thank you so very much for the critique. I do very much understand that I have a long way to go. I am only seventeen, and I don't expect meself to be the art genius my art teachers think me to be. In fact I think I am quite bad at most things, however, that is beside the point. As for "personality" I am currently working on expressions on my MANY characters. I actually rarely draw Lune, but, these were the couple of sketches in my photobucket account.

    As for inconsistancies. Forgive me. I try to make the character look as close as possible. Face length sometimes is shortened, because I am sketching not drawing. I usually try to keep the same shape and markings. The reason his ears are so big, is because he is a part elf. I will not go into the details. And, I never knew there was anything wrong with artists being gothic/puck. I wonder if you would get on a very popular artists but for having some twenty earings on their characters ears. Probably not. Besides that fact, I am mainly self taught, though I do take art classes. I KNOW my drawings have inconsistancies, and I work on each one at a time. Trying to tackle all of my bad points would be murder.

    Write down... He was a crack drawing at first a year ago, I am slowly refining him and my style. I want to find a style I am comfortable with, before I do something set. I am sure even you can understand that. And the eyes... Well one is Manga therefore the eyes are a bit bigger I suppose. And the other is supposed to be realistic. I am working on drawing from life. I a currently working on a self portrait by the way. Though realism quite bores me along with still life. It's not that I can't do them (because I have), it is because I don't FEEL like doing them.

    Um, the bottom one is a "sketch" That means I was dorking around and not actually drawing. I drew in the hair, then tried to make it so you could see the lower part of the eye, which failed miserably. But I don't since it is a sketch. A

    I've drawn things from life. I do it from time to time. But, I am a very imaginative person. (I thought all artists were) So I get wisked away, and draw what I feel like. I see no wrong in drawing how and what you want. What defines REAL artists is not the ability to draw real things. It is the ability to draw, and draw what you like. AND! I am going to hopefully take an anatomy class next year. By the way, I learn by eye. and sometimes it takes me half a year or more to refine things to make it right. Good thing I didn't post one of my full characters... I'm SURE you would have found something wrong with that too... Thanks again. I will be keeping those things in mind. But, since I am the artist, I will use and forget them how I want. If I don't feel like doing it... I won't.

    I'm so glad... There are nicer people out there.

    -Syan
    By nice, you mean "lie to me, i only want the good, so i can live in a bubble and not better myself?"
    Stop being a baby.
    If you dont want an honest critique, dont post, simple.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the Middle of no where...
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by halflife99
    By nice, you mean "lie to me, i only want the good, so i can live in a bubble and not better myself?"
    Stop being a baby.
    If you dont want an honest critique, dont post, simple.
    No, no. By nice, I mean, dn't completely dis the character that is all. I work very hard. But, most fail to realize it.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the Middle of no where...
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Kiou

    Um... More recent. Only a week old. Though I like the one of his... "friend" better. Please forgive the upside down crosses. I don't mean to offend any... But, I should be allowed to draw what I wish.
    Oh, by the way... This is all in pen. Because I am weird and draw in that sometimes...



    My WIPs and odd sketches

    I never understood, why when I tried my hardest, it was never good enough...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Posts
    2,347
    Thanks
    255
    Thanked 136 Times in 60 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireSyan
    What defines REAL artists is not the ability to draw real things. It is the ability to draw, and draw what you like.
    Yes and no. It is the ability to draw well the things you like.
    You are making extremely poor excuses for not being able to draw the exact same character twice in a row and have it look the same.

    You are more than welcome to draw whatever you like, however you like. BUT, if you post your works here, you will be held to the same standards of workmanship as the rest of the members. This is not a fun-time, post your cute semi-elf sketches, Internet bulletin board. This is a site for those artists who, whether self taught, school taught, or not taught at all, wish to improve their skills, not just play "show and tell" of their latest, not very well drawn, kinda elf guy.

    I really do not care if you consider me "nice" or not. I consider you to be a fellow member of this community, which means that if you post your works here, you have to be willing to hear the good with the bad.

    ~M

    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the Middle of no where...
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by madster
    Yes and no. It is the ability to draw well the things you like.
    You are making extremely poor excuses for not being able to draw the exact same character twice in a row and have it look the same.

    You are more than welcome to draw whatever you like, however you like. BUT, if you post your works here, you will be held to the same standards of workmanship as the rest of the members. This is not a fun-time, post your cute semi-elf sketches, Internet bulletin board. This is a site for those artists who, whether self taught, school taught, or not taught at all, wish to improve their skills, not just play "show and tell" of their latest, not very well drawn, kinda elf guy.

    I really do not care if you consider me "nice" or not. I consider you to be a fellow member of this community, which means that if you post your works here, you have to be willing to hear the good with the bad.

    ~M
    The sketch is manga... The top is realism. They will look different. I know that even the chibi of him will not look the same. But, if a person can't make something look EXACTLY the same, does that really define them as bad? I don't think I have ever seen a manga artist that has ever drawn their character exactly the same from frame to frame.

    Not very well drawn? No, I just wanted to let you guys see some of my work. And see if i needed improvement. But, I don't like things pointed out so bluntly... Man, so, if we don't draw constistantly, that means we are horrible and will never amount to anything, correct? Man, my art teacher sure does delude me...

    I don't mind hearing bad, just please understand that I am still learning. I just want people to... understand that. Thanks for the critique really. I will use it. I will try to become perfect, though I have no hope in it. Thanks, really. I needed to see some of my follies. Take care.

    I never understood, why when I tried my hardest, it was never good enough...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,958
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireSyan
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/VampireSyan/WIPKiouenpencopyright.jpg
    I wouldn't know where to start on criting this one unless you tell me specifically what you're looking for in the crits.

    The design look interesting in my opinion.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Santiago
    Posts
    1,795
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 134 Times in 70 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yup.......You need to know a few things, cause you "have it in ya", but you are getting stuck if you keep the excuses, wish are never good in any case, not only in drawing:

    1- Of cource, no excuses, age is not important, what you are going to do in the future is not important, be honest about some things, saying " i didnt feel like doing it" makes those things to not be there and affect the rest of the pic, and we all know that excuse is the most "invalid" of all, cause we have been there, we dont feel like doing exacly the things we are having problems with.

    2- Study anatomy, dont study anatomy next year....NOW!, time is one of the most important things in the world...dont waste it Study this entire book

    3-Keep it up, dont think in the " artist must do what they want and feel" unless you are to become something besides a "concept artist", because when is your time to work, you will find that is not what you want to draw and how, is the things your client whats you to draw....you can convince sometimes to make somethings a little more on your way, or to be more original, but you will also find clients that love robot designs from 1950 (those that look like tvs with legs and shit )

    4-Why study anatomy and life right away?....because you want to be an artist, you need tu undestand things better than other people, you need to know are things are, how they react, how they look and why, etc.....Once you get that, you can do whatever you like because you will know how to distort reality....just keep in mind you cant distort things you dont know..

    Best of lucks

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,643
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 231 Times in 130 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    hmm.. honestly... i don't see that much difference between your realism and your manga style. Manga is a(n extreme) stylization of realism. Because of that, you have to learn realistic anatomy first. At this moment it kinda seems as if you're making excuses for not willing to get better by calling it 'style'. A style is only somehting you can work on if you know the foundations.

    Now, the last pic seems like you had fun, but your composition is quite boring. Mostly cos his arms draw me to the sides of the pic, leading to nothing since his hands are cut off. I think there's a tree behind him, but looking down it kinda turns into his waist. Because of this, to me this drawing doesn't make much sense.

    Don't be afraid to use constructionlines or pencil to build the foundations of the pose first, then go over with with a pen and erase the pencil. It'll learn you plan your drawings better and help you improve your art. Try drawing your characters in several poses before working one out and try to draw every day. Use anatomybooks to understand how the body works in theory (go to www.saveloomis.org for great and free help) and draw from life to see how it works in movement. Try drawing your character 100 times and then compare it to the first attempt.

    I'd like to see some of your full drawings. Keep drawing and posting. Don't waste your time on defending your mistakes. Just listen to what others say and try to improve by taking some of their comments into consideration. Sometimes others are right too.

    Hope to see more stuff by you soon.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the Middle of no where...
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JERI
    I wouldn't know where to start on criting this one unless you tell me specifically what you're looking for in the crits.

    The design look interesting in my opinion.
    Um, basic body anatomy and the tree palace behind. I am not good with trees, and I need a bit of help with that.^^

    Interesting? Does it look bad? I can't say yes or no, since it is my baby...

    I never understood, why when I tried my hardest, it was never good enough...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the Middle of no where...
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamagim
    Yup.......You need to know a few things, cause you "have it in ya", but you are getting stuck if you keep the excuses, wish are never good in any case, not only in drawing:

    1- Of cource, no excuses, age is not important, what you are going to do in the future is not important, be honest about some things, saying " i didnt feel like doing it" makes those things to not be there and affect the rest of the pic, and we all know that excuse is the most "invalid" of all, cause we have been there, we dont feel like doing exacly the things we are having problems with.

    2- Study anatomy, dont study anatomy next year....NOW!, time is one of the most important things in the world...dont waste it Study this entire book

    3-Keep it up, dont think in the " artist must do what they want and feel" unless you are to become something besides a "concept artist", because when is your time to work, you will find that is not what you want to draw and how, is the things your client whats you to draw....you can convince sometimes to make somethings a little more on your way, or to be more original, but you will also find clients that love robot designs from 1950 (those that look like tvs with legs and shit )

    4-Why study anatomy and life right away?....because you want to be an artist, you need tu undestand things better than other people, you need to know are things are, how they react, how they look and why, etc.....Once you get that, you can do whatever you like because you will know how to distort reality....just keep in mind you cant distort things you dont know..

    Best of lucks

    Hehe... you're right. I can be quite weak minded at times. That's the bad part of me. ^^; Fprgive me for getting so bent out of shape down there. And thanks.

    Yeah, I am going to try doing more still lifes. Or at least draw from life. I don't like still lifes quite as much.

    XD Thanks for the link. I will save it. My library card died, so I can't go to the library to get anatomy books. And, well, I don't go into my school library enough. I am quite sure this will help my... incredibly bad points. And help me to remember how to draw girls as well. Thanks again.^^

    Yeah, I have found that when taking commissions, it isn't what I WANT to do. But, they usually help me get better. Bit by bit. Art class has also taught me that I don't always get to draw what I want. Thanks for the reminder. I need a "gentle" conk on the head every once in a while.

    Okay, um... Hehe. I will try to further my studies in that area. I often study people while I am at school and such. I just want to get better. Sometimes it is very difficult though. Thanks for all the nice help and critiques, I will keep them in mind.^^

    -Syan-

    I never understood, why when I tried my hardest, it was never good enough...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the Middle of no where...
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiedough
    hmm.. honestly... i don't see that much difference between your realism and your manga style. Manga is a(n extreme) stylization of realism. Because of that, you have to learn realistic anatomy first. At this moment it kinda seems as if you're making excuses for not willing to get better by calling it 'style'. A style is only somehting you can work on if you know the foundations.

    Now, the last pic seems like you had fun, but your composition is quite boring. Mostly cos his arms draw me to the sides of the pic, leading to nothing since his hands are cut off. I think there's a tree behind him, but looking down it kinda turns into his waist. Because of this, to me this drawing doesn't make much sense.

    Don't be afraid to use constructionlines or pencil to build the foundations of the pose first, then go over with with a pen and erase the pencil. It'll learn you plan your drawings better and help you improve your art. Try drawing your characters in several poses before working one out and try to draw every day. Use anatomybooks to understand how the body works in theory (go to www.saveloomis.org for great and free help) and draw from life to see how it works in movement. Try drawing your character 100 times and then compare it to the first attempt.

    I'd like to see some of your full drawings. Keep drawing and posting. Don't waste your time on defending your mistakes. Just listen to what others say and try to improve by taking some of their comments into consideration. Sometimes others are right too.

    Hope to see more stuff by you soon.

    Hehe, you're quite right. There is a reason behind it. My first art teacher hated my anime/manga drawings and told me to make them look more realistic. So, to appease her, I did. And, now you have this. A bit more realistic manga style... That is unfortunately imperfect.

    Oh, it is close to realism? Ehehe... Okay, more realism practice again. I'm okay at it. I need some work though.

    Oh, the one with the tree and such is incomplete. I still need to put more stuff in there. But I haven't decided what yet. Probably more tress. And, I need to finish off the tree behind him. Sorry about the hands... They used to be there, but they looked like crap. So I mostly covered them up here. *bad me yes?* I promise there will be more to the picture.

    I usually draw out the character and possible background in pencil and then ink it. But, I also want to get good at drawing fully in pen as well. I draw almost everyday, unless I get in an art slump. Then I get into not thinking I am any good. Well, I'm okay... but, you know.

    100 times! Wow! Thanks, good idea. And, I plan on drawing from life a bit more. I just need to get a bit more focus.

    Okay, yes. I just like it when people don't... Hurt me. XD If that makes sense, I only get defensive if they are kinda blunt about it. And don't tell me what I did good, if anything at all. I shall keep posting. I'm gonna do some from life stuff later today. Thanks again.

    -Syan-

    I never understood, why when I tried my hardest, it was never good enough...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,958
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireSyan
    Um, basic body anatomy and the tree palace behind. I am not good with trees, and I need a bit of help with that.^^

    Interesting? Does it look bad? I can't say yes or no, since it is my baby...
    Body anatomy: First thing, head is really too big compared to his torso. I would probably suggest going through the basic anatomy stuff like what madster said. But if you don't like to wait too long (like me), I would suggest finding through photos/reference materials the bodies you want, draw them, then add the features of your character.

    I honestly can't tell what that hairy looking bit on the tree is, I can make out the basic shape though.

    Interesting as in I haven't seen this type of design before and it's got my interest.

    Btw, don't worry about people hurting you, no one's going to on CA. I can assure you as a beginner myself that I've been received with nothing but patience and welcome in this forum.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the Middle of no where...
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JERI
    Body anatomy: First thing, head is really too big compared to his torso. I would probably suggest going through the basic anatomy stuff like what madster said. But if you don't like to wait too long (like me), I would suggest finding through photos/reference materials the bodies you want, draw them, then add the features of your character.

    I honestly can't tell what that hairy looking bit on the tree is, I can make out the basic shape though.

    Interesting as in I haven't seen this type of design before and it's got my interest.

    Btw, don't worry about people hurting you, no one's going to on CA. I can assure you as a beginner myself that I've been received with nothing but patience and welcome in this forum.

    Okay. Thanks. Yeah, me and my skinny people. LOL! Guess I can't get away with my friends excuse either. XD (("Anime characters heads are big! That's why their necks are so small!" as she told me... XD)) LOL! Um, there are vines and bushes and a castle... And they are all really dark, so they are not well seen. ^^; too bad.... Heheh, aw thanks. I dunno, the thought just sounded interesting so I am trying it out.

    Okay. I get defensive alot. But, usually when people pic on my art when they don't even know it well enough. (Not you of course) Thanks again.

    I never understood, why when I tried my hardest, it was never good enough...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Posts
    2,347
    Thanks
    255
    Thanked 136 Times in 60 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireSyan
    Okay. I get defensive alot. But, usually when people pic on my art when they don't even know it well enough. (Not you of course) Thanks again.
    Vampire Syan, Hello, this is a Reality Check...
    No one will "know it well enough," unless your technical skill level is high enough to enable the most general person of "passer by," to look at your efforts and think to themself, "wow, those are really neat!"...It is both funny and sad that you get defensive about your art, in that, if you are not willing to draw enough consistently well-rendered details for those images you are wanting to convey to the viewer, you certainly should not be defensive when the viewer cannot understand your Concept...

    ConceptArt.Org is not your general, "everything drawn is okay at worst..." type of Forum. Your lack of technical skills here will be pointed out to you, regardless of your enthusiasm, or inner Concept of the images you post.

    It is NOT an insult to you, nor your images, in pointing out those discrepancies that confuse the viewer, nor in making suggestions for correction. THAT is part of the purpose of the Forums you are now a member of.

    Instead of arguing, or attempting to defend your lack of technical skill, take the time to provide us, the viewers, with a better rendered version of the character you have created, with a proper Background, and fully featured and detailed face. That is not too much to ask, now is it? (Not for THIS website, it isn't...hint, hint...)

    Regards,
    ~M

    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the Middle of no where...
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Unialle character sheet

    A bit of Nudity here

    A character I created for an RP with my friend. He is a (dark) Unicorn anthro.

    Um, I am curious... Does this look like a child fist of all. And why did his face turn out all weird when I drew him smiling? (Okay, none of my characters look good smiling... XD) And sorry for the leaning horn up there... I was drawing at an angle.

    My WIPs and odd sketches


    P.S. I will be putting up life drawings later, when I have access to my scanner.^^

    I never understood, why when I tried my hardest, it was never good enough...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    the Netherlands - Rotterdam
    Posts
    1,741
    Thanks
    157
    Thanked 209 Times in 127 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    your smiles look weird because your faces aren't correct. smiling is more then just making the lips look smiling. when you smile the nose, cheeks, eyes forehead, ears react on the move of that particular muscle. so, if you want to have your smile good, you'll have to know what face muscles you've got, and how one reacts to another. I'd say, have a look in this book

    btw; about the 'manga-realism style'. styles are uselless crap, don't even try to get/have something like a 'style'. You can have such a own 'style', but if it looks like crap, it is crap, and that isn't going to change if you say it is just your 'style'. Make a painting look good, and not 'stylish'. As a concept artist, there is just one style, and that is the style that looks good and gives the desired effect to your drawing your client wants.

    edit: your hands are to small btw, if you lay your hand open it covers your front face (from the chin till your hair-line) ^^

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  21. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Posts
    2,347
    Thanks
    255
    Thanked 136 Times in 60 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Your hand, from the wrist to the tip of your fingers is equal to One Head Length. If you learn nothing else today to help you be a better artist, learn that one... At least your hands will forever more match the head size.

    ~M

    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  22. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the Middle of no where...
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Thanks for the critique guys.^^ That will help me alot better with the hands. (I should have known that...) I just have one question.^^ Um, my friends hand does not even reach her hair line when she lays it from chin up. Is it possible to have characters like that? (sorry, I just curious). And thanks about the muscle thing with the face. ^^ Hehehe, I was wondering.

    I never understood, why when I tried my hardest, it was never good enough...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  23. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Posts
    2,347
    Thanks
    255
    Thanked 136 Times in 60 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    If she puts her nose in the middle of the palm, are her fingers very close?
    Also, women ARE slightly smaller in build than men...

    ~M

    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  24. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the Middle of no where...
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by madster
    If she puts her nose in the middle of the palm, are her fingers very close?
    Also, women ARE slightly smaller in build than men...

    ~M
    I'll have to ask her about that. ^^ Yeah, you're right. (unless they are bodybuilders... But then they look manly anyway. XD) Thnaks. Hehehe, her excuse for when she draws the hands so small is because she has small hands. Well, I don't feel quite so... stupid about it. Thanks for the help.^^

    I never understood, why when I tried my hardest, it was never good enough...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  25. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the Middle of no where...
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Studies And sketches...

    I have been, sudying and sketching as advised... ^^

    My WIPs and odd sketches

    #1 Done over the past weekend. Trying out the depth around the eyes, studying eyes, and drawing my hand.^^ Which looks... INTERESTING! XD Ooo, and a couple of noses too... BLEH!

    My WIPs and odd sketches

    #2 Okay, more real objects. That is my cat, Ian, but he was actually across the room from me... (he's also black, but I didn't want to lose the sketch...) My mom's loveseat, my foot (with "lovely" toenails...) And, a realistic facial study. Then you have the random raptor anthro foot, and a anime facial study. Blehk...

    My WIPs and odd sketches

    #3 Did this yesterday. Times included. Well, it states on there. I can't draw angel wings worth... beans... so I did a feather study with a few of my collected pigeon feathers.^^ Yeah, I can't draw glass I don't think... XD

    Critique if you feel fit to...
    (I feel about these... XD Joking, joking!)

    I never understood, why when I tried my hardest, it was never good enough...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  26. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0


    You're 10,000 times better.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  27. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Posts
    2,347
    Thanks
    255
    Thanked 136 Times in 60 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    With just a bit of concentrated effort, you have already made some remarkable strides. Good for you!

    Now you need to take the next step, and render more than just individual pieces and parts...

    You need to take the time to create a simple, yet "completed" work. Not just an object, or a facial feature, but a completed Still Life, or a Full Facial portrait.

    Don't rush into it if you don't feel ready, and don't rush to complete it once you begin. Think about it awhile. What can you fairly easily set up to draw that will allow you to draw its environment as well?

    Keep practicing. Your efforts are already paying off.

    ~M

    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  28. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the Middle of no where...
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    *scratches head* Wow...

    Thanks you guys. hehehe... Right, start doing still lifes. XD Something much better than a tennis ball in a candle holder too. XD

    Speaking of full facial potrait, that is my assignment for art class. ^^ Perhaps I will "actually" work on it, and post the progress. Mean while, I will do a still life or two. (or five XD) Thanks, I will try to better myself further.^^

    I never understood, why when I tried my hardest, it was never good enough...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  29. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the Middle of no where...
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Realism? OMG!

    XD! WEll we are supposed to be doing realistic drawings of ourselves... But since I am serverly unconfortable with that... I thought I would try from a picture, which is something I haven't done in two years... XD SO, critique. I know that things are wrong, and I am working on them. I have had a couple of people point things out too.^^

    My WIPs and odd sketches
    BTW this is Hyde a Japanese J-Rocker from the groub L'arc-Une-Ciel.

    I never understood, why when I tried my hardest, it was never good enough...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  30. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    199
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I'm stumped on what XD is supposed to mean.

    The nose isn't on the same midsection as the rest of the head. The shoulder looks much more lumpy than in the picture. In a lot of places you're drawing in symbols. The microphone handle is pointed nearly straight down, but the top isn't. You don't seem to be constructing anything, just putting it down. I really need more of a picture to start critiquing it.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  31. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    241
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    XD is a semi-emoticon... imagine a someone with a big smile and their eyes shut so tight as to be an X.

    I can't see any construction lines on this latest piece, how are you planning it before going into the details? You're off to a good start, but you really shouldn't be adding any details until all the proportions are lain out correctly and you've done a few thumbnail sketches for where light & shadows will fall.

    Suggestion - pic up the paper, turn it around and stick it to a window. When your picture is reversed, mistakes tend to leap out at you a lot more... because it becomes someone elses picture, instead of your baby.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook