Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts

Conceptart.org charity

With the recent events, the topic of charity and donations have arisen on several occations. So, i got an idea. Since we have so many talented and creative artists here at conceptart.org, how about we make pieces of art and arrange some sort of ebay art auction, donating the money to the red cross? It could be arranged so that the individual artists take care of shipping and stuff, but the whole is arranged as a community effort. This way i think it would generate a lot more interest than individual auctions.

I believe this is a good way for people who wants to help in some way, but cannot afford to donate much. A way to support the valuable work of the red cross.

Any thoughts?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    THE JRR ENDORSED CHARITY IS.....((((drum roll))))

http://www.redcross.org

donate!

Thanks
    great idea,

eventhough i guess whe woud have to do a TD first in ordder to pick works....

Thanks
    Why not just get every picture everyone submitted and sell them as a package?

Thanks
    I think its a nice way for artists short on a lot of cash to be able to donate
    --marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    Im willing to submit a piece. Whats subject matter? Like maybe it should be New Orleans or hurricane related. If anyone has any photos of New Orleans, maybe we could use them as ref for works. I dunno.. Whats the first step we need to take?

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Some suggestions...

Subject matter: Keep in mind that we're trying to raise money here. The fact that it's for Katrina is after the fact, so I don't think it's necessary to portray something "disaster" oriented. The trick is to approach it from a marketing standpoint--what would the casual browser react to favorably when they see it offered for sale? A lot of our people here do art that might be appealing to young male audiences, for example, while others might be more to the tastes of maybe grandparents or people into sci-fi or westerns. Even abstracts aren't out, or "cute" if that's the way you want to go.

I would present the pieces separately. They're more likely to sell that way if they're non-digital pieces.

For the guys that only do digital, a good printout is cool. Also, if there is a possibility of grouping a set of images around a theme, it would make sense to make a "set" of maybe 5 different artists to be sold as a package. Just make sure the presentation is identical (all 8x10, all 10x14, all approaches to same subject, that kind of thing.)

To keep things organized, maybe the art should be posted here so everybody can establish how best to handle everybody's submission for sale. It might even pay to have one person(s) responsible for mounting the sale items on ebay so there's an obvious continuity.

Suggest every piece carry a discreet statement saying something like "For the victims of Katrina, by the artists of ConceptArt.org." or something similar. This makes the buyer connect to the reason they're buying the piece in the first place.

Every piece posted should have the statement "CAArtists/Katrina: Original oil painting" or some such in the subject line so it's obvious what we're doing.

Some of us may not have a decent printer to produce an image to sell/offer. Maybe a small group can take on the responsibility of printing out the images for these people. We can reimburse the costs of ink, etc, after the sale.
    Last edited by Ilaekae; September 8th, 2005 at 01:23 PM. Reason: clarity

Thanks
    This is a wonderful idea. I am definately down for that. I will start my piece tonight, infact. This actually reminds me alot of the Marvel Heroes book. It was made as charity for Sept 11th. Some very intense images in there.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Damn you Slash, you get all the good ideas! And i'll submit something but only if i'm SERIOUSLY impressed with it.... In other words, there's a slim chance of me submitting anything. Why don't you just make it like a competetion thread. Get a few judges, get some of the best pieces and sell them.
    ~Lover~

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I'm definitely in. My new comp isn't here yet, so my pieces will be traditional. Probably start them late this weekend. (I'm clearin' trees right now to get a shed up before the winter hits.)

Thanks
    I like the irony of being able to post here but not able to just donate money straight off. Waits for getting warm and toasty.

P.S. I do not donate money at all. Although do sometimes give up some of my free time.
    Cockney boy, but south of the river!

Thanks
    Im glad people find this interesting. The point behind this is that not everyone has a lot of money to donate. After all, being an artist doesnt really make you swim in money. But every artist have art supplies lying around, and the ability to make art. Not everyone paints a new mona lisa every time, but that isnt the point either. The point is that by making something and auctioning it off there's a chance that it will raise much more money than the 20 bucks you'd otherwise be able to cut out from your food/rent/gas/whatever budget.

Thanks
    "I like the irony of being able to post here but not able to just donate money straight off. Waits for getting warm and toasty."

*I deleted my rant, there is no point*

Slash, I'll just pm you, yes I'd like to help, but I won't be viewing this thread anymore, just like any other thread that takes that turn
    --marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    I'm afraid this is a public forum where people are allowed to express their views, whether you like them or not.

I'm not saying the idea is a bad one, go for it. Just that there are better, quicker ways to acheive the goal of raising cash for charity in my opinion. Perhaps the sarcastic nature of my post was unnecessary, but you have to put up with w*nkers everywhere you go now i'm afraid.
    Cockney boy, but south of the river!

Thanks
    Thank you very much acuna, your encouragement REALLY motivates me.

For those of you who gives a flying fuck and wants to help by donating art, please dont be discouraged by meaningless posts.

Marie found this:

http://givingworks.ebay.com/sell/

Its PERFECT for what we're trying to do. Those of you who wants to donate a piece of art, please let me know through PM or in this thread. We have 4 people this far. (a few more unconfirmed..) We're gonna go through with it, but as you know, the more the merrier.

I also discovered that the chaps over at penny arcade is doing the same thing. I guess great great minds DO think alike.

Thanks
    Possible topic: Conceptart.org Remembers New Orleans

It was an extraordinarily visual town.

Thanks
    Good idea! I was gonna do something with a blues/jazz theme. Atleast on one piece. I've looked at some pictures from NO, and there's a lot of magnificent buildings. Im sure that tons of good pieces could come from that.

Thanks
    I'm not a professional artist, and I don't want to sell my artwork since all of it is very personal, but I'd really like to donate one of my pieces to the charity. I think it would be a very honorable cause. If someone could please post some information about where I can donate something, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
    XXX: You could start by sending me a private message for now, then when i arrange things with ebay, im gonna need photos of the piece and your email adress. (or other ways to contact you.) But for now, i just need a pm saying you're in.

Mike: off topic or not, it was a good story, and thanks for bumping the thread back to attention.

Thanks
    Fuck, I'd personally be down for this, I've already donated, but anything else to help would be cool too.

I think there needs to be some sort of judging taking place, maybe if someone wanted to organise with a mod somewhere to host this competition to get a bunch of pieces, maybe printouts or whatever. Maybe we can make them into a set of novelty postcards like Darkhorse do - those are extremely cool.

Oh, and to stingy motherfuckers who don't donate AND laugh at those trying to help in their own little ways - a big fat FUCK YOU.

- m