http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

iPod Nano

and

iPod Nano

Oh how did that get there?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    iRiver > iPod
    We went through this already, don't make me start all over.
    Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - deviantart

Thanks
    It was SO small and had such a weird name, I thought it was a fake site at first. WoW! That things awesome.
    Michael W.

Thanks
    Meh. For only $100 more you can get a normal iPod with 10 times the storage capacity that still fits in your pocket just fine. No thanks.

Apple has it's fans wrapped around it's greedy little fingers.

Thanks
    I would break it....
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brumfield
    For only $100 more you can get a normal iPod with 10 times the storage capacity that still fits in your pocket just fine. No thanks.

Apple has it's fans wrapped around it's greedy little fingers.
    Or maybe some people don't have more than a few gigs of music and they'll save that extra $100 for something they'll actually use.

Should I go out and buy a 200GB harddrive for my computer if I only need a 100GB? Maybe there should just be one size of everything. Variety and choice are stupid.

Thanks
    looks cool but what makes me mad is i got one that isnt in color. and about a month afterwards they changed them all to color. kinda sucks. but i am still glad that i have an ipod.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    iPod Nano

Aha, so THAT'S how they got the extra space!
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    i hope its not to tiny that the battery isnt replaceable....just like the shuffle...-_-; meh, their nice, they look cool...and probably work great. but there too expensive...and how it doesnt come with anything and accesories also cost an arm and a leg...but yeah. its impressivly tiny and thin.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by helix7
    Or maybe some people don't have more than a few gigs of music and they'll save that extra $100 for something they'll actually use.

Should I go out and buy a 200GB harddrive for my computer if I only need a 100GB? Maybe there should just be one size of everything. Variety and choice are stupid.

ow.

Thanks
    I just farted and an ipoo came out!!!

Thanks
    just looks like an ipood truffle with a spleen.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Denart
    ow.
    I couldn't help it. These "iPod minis/nanos are dumb cause that don't hold 10,000 songs" arguments are getting old.

The price argument seems weird to me, too. The price is comparable to other mp3 players with similar capacity. And don't forget you're paying for the engineering, also. This thing is designed to be super small, and that's more important to some people than how many songs it can hold.

Thanks

Cow

Uh Creative is making much better MP3 players than this for less money. You've just been sucked in by the flashy marketing of a idiot-friendly company.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    I couldn't help it. These "iPod minis/nanos are dumb cause that don't hold 10,000 songs" arguments are getting old.

The price argument seems weird to me, too. The price is comparable to other mp3 players with similar capacity. And don't forget you're paying for the engineering, also. This thing is designed to be super small, and that's more important to some people than how many songs it can hold.
    Yeah, I've filled only 3-4 gigs on my 10gig, and most of it's just crap I don't listen to... This iPod would be PERFECT, I'm backing you up all the way.

MorteM, iRiver...cmon they even copied Apple with the i, iRiver = Wannabe iPod, and even if it does ">" how come the iPod is DESTROYING the mp3 player competition?

Thanks
    Just because I-Macs and Dells are popular, doesn't mean any PC user with any self respect would touch one with a ten foot pole.

Similarily, just because Mcdonalds makes alot of money does not make it good food.

It's all about marketing, artists of all people should realize that.

Just be smart.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Too bad they're getting rid of the Mini, I really liked the 6GB amount. I could never get an iRiver because I found the software loopy and the ease of swapping between Mac and PC just wasn't there like it is in the iPod. Creative's software blows MAJOR monkey nuts, that's why I returned my Zen Micro and my old MuVo. They also don't work on a Mac, which is problematic if you have a lot of graphic designer friends I find (can't easily snag some music from them).

The potentiometer controls of the iPod are fun to use I think, and that goes a good way in personal enjoyment. I mean, if it weren't fun, why is the Miata MX-5 such an amazingly popular sports car. It's certainly NOT for looks, or speed, or features, or sound, or much else but the level of enjoyment it brings to its drivers.

I only have about 3 gigs of music I listen to regularly, and I want to be able to go running with my device. That sort of kills it for the original iPod, which is pretty large.

Here's some of that 'idiot friendly' marketing from Creative:

iPod Nano

Yeah... that's under the section called "Kawaii"... riiight...
    Last edited by Books; September 8th, 2005 at 01:41 PM.
    Apathy, the new political party. "Just because it's bad doesn't mean it couldn't be worse.. so in reality we're doing great!"

Thanks
    I think the iPod has a good design. Simple to use and effective. I'd take the smaller size (physical and HD) because A)the iPod does NOT fit nicely in your pocket unless you are a raver, or wearing a hoodie/jacket B) who needs a week of music in your ipod? My brother has gigs and gigs of music that he has never listened too.

Too bad my money is spent on rent/food/tuition.
    [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyHydralisk
    Just because I-Macs and Dells are popular, doesn't mean any PC user with any self respect would touch one with a ten foot pole.

Dell>you

Thanks

Don't put words in my mouth, please. I never said the thing is "dumb because it doesn't hold 10,00 songs" and I never said or even implied that variety and choice were stupid. I probably would never fill up a 20 gig iPod but that's besides the point. I was speaking about the price. A 2 gig music player for $200 when you can get 20 gigs for $300? Come on. Sure, people may not need 20 gigs, but when you look at the price per gig (and sure the thing is smaller, but don't give me that "you're paying for it's compact size" nonsense, as the normal iPod is hardly a suitcase, especially the latest generation) the price of these things is just rediculous, and for $200+ I'd say that's a very relevant argument. And just because the price is comparable to other mp3 players doesn't make it any less of a rip-off.

I mean, look. If the normal iPod was the size of a laptop or something then I'd be singing a different tune ()... but it's not. It's one of the most compact music playing devices you can get, it only weighs a few ounces, and fits in pretty much any pocket. It's smaller and lighter than a cell phone for crying out loud.

So, setting aside the size issue, which in this case I find to be pretty much irrelevant, here's what you are really getting for your money.

2GB for $200 = $100 a gig (!)

or

20GB for $300 = $15 a gig

Now, assuming you actually care about making intelligent purchases, which is the better deal?

I think a smaller storage capacity iPod is a great idea, as, like you said, there are pleanty of people out there who may only need a couple of gigs... but not for the utterly rediculous prices Apple is selling them for.

I think Steve Jobs could probably take a monster shit and sell spoonfulls of it for $300 a pop in little baggies with an apple sticker on it and some people would think it was the best deal they'd ever seen.
    Last edited by CruShTinbOX; September 9th, 2005 at 02:35 AM.

Thanks
    No thank you. I got a CD burner and a bunch of blank CDs to burn my music on to. Still haven't got a MP3 player yet and probably won't for some time. I also probably won't get a cell phone any time soon either. I HATE CELL PHONES!!!
    -Brad Cossey

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Thanks
    i'l stick with my old vinal and a tune in my head.

Thanks
    Sure, people may not need 20 gigs, but when you look at the price per gig
    That's a very American argument. While I'm certainly not anti-American (as I am one), some people don't like to eat more than they need to either. Since rice is so cheap, do you only eat rice? Do you shop for your clothing only at goodwill. I think we're forgetting how much personal preference and taste contribute to what we like and want.

Now, assuming you actually care about making intelligent purchases, which is the better deal?
    Ouch. A car battery, power inverter, Walmart MP3 DVD player, and a burnt disc with all your music on it might cost slightly under 250 dollars, making it better price per gig (because savings are the only thing that dictate your intelligence apparently) Enjoy sporting that contraption.
    Apathy, the new political party. "Just because it's bad doesn't mean it couldn't be worse.. so in reality we're doing great!"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Books
    That's a very American argument. While I'm certainly not anti-American (as I am one), some people don't like to eat more than they need to either. Since rice is so cheap, do you only eat rice? Do you shop for your clothing only at goodwill. I think we're forgetting how much personal preference and taste contribute to what we like and want.

Of course I buy stuff I don't need, but that doesn't mean I can't be cautious of what I'm getting for my money, especially when that money is being spent on an expensive luxury item like an iPod. When you look at what you get for your money, the Nano is a rip-off, plain and simple. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy it. It's your money, do with it what you want. But I am going to point out that you are being ripped off, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

To use your own analogy, it'd be like spending a dollar on a cup of rice if you could get a whole bag for $1.50. You could get a few meals out of it for practically the same price.

And I agree with your last point.

Ouch. A car battery, power inverter, Walmart MP3 DVD player, and a burnt disc with all your music on it might cost slightly under 250 dollars, making it better price per gig... Enjoy sporting that contraption.
    No. I am comparing one iPod to another iPod. Of course you can go out and by a portable CD player for $50, but that's besides the point.

(because savings are the only thing that dictate your intelligence apparently)
    That's not what I meant and I think you know it.
    Last edited by CruShTinbOX; September 9th, 2005 at 05:02 AM.

Thanks
    Any PC user with any self respect would know that iMacs don't have a hyphen inbetween the i and Mac. You obviously don't know enough about computing to have a say in this matter.

Thanks
    People... for JUST 180 pounds, you get an mp3 player, movie player and a games console!!!

iPod Nano

That baby is my next gadget!

Thanks
    I curse the iPod Nano for creating such arguments. A pox on thee and its kind! On another note, the new Gameboy is pretty cool, gotta get me one of them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by I_LOVE_ART
    People... for JUST 180 pounds, you get an mp3 player, movie player and a games console!!!

iPod Nano

That baby is my next gadget!
    My bro got one....3-4 months ago, something like that, great toy, but I reconsidered it since it's large and we don't take enough long trips to have time to play it, the iPod nano is perfect for what I do. Recommended though!

Thanks
    Uh Creative is making much better MP3 players than this for less money. You've just been sucked in by the flashy marketing of a idiot-friendly company.
    I had a creative MP3 player once...it blew and I hated both it and the software used to update it. I finally got an iPod and I loved it. IMO a product SHOULD be idiot friendly. I'm a computer programmer by trade, but I don't want to have to be just to get something to work. Apples iPod interface is intuitive and easy to use, as is iTunes.

Same goes for Mac OS. Especially OSX, as it's now built on top of a *nix foundation. Power AND great design? Who'd'a'thunk.

As for Brumfields argument on price per gig...yes and no. You're NOT paying for storage here. When you consider how dirt cheap storage is nowadays, it's kind of a silly argument. However, as cheap as storage is, smaller size definately doesn't come cheap.

Additionally, the Nano's use flash drive technology, which is solid state..no moving parts. One of the common problems with normal iPods is skipping. Hard drives, even those developed for mobile technologies, still don't like to be jogged around. Solid state devices have no such qualms, making this a better replacement for the shuffle user than the traditional iPod user (as you can take it with you running or to the gym, but now you get a screen and the additional functionality of a traditional iPod).

Yes, it's a niche product, but I think it'll be worth it for some people.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fukifino
    As for Brumfields argument on price per gig...yes and no. You're NOT paying for storage here. When you consider how dirt cheap storage is nowadays, it's kind of a silly argument. However, as cheap as storage is, smaller size definately doesn't come cheap.
    Touche. I'm aware that these aren't being marketed for their storage size, but rather their physical size. However, personally, I find the normal iPods to be pleanty small and lightweight enough as it is, so the main comparison to me is the storage size... and when I compare what you get for the money, the Nano just doesn't seem like a good deal to me. I mean, basically, it boils down to buying a portable mp3 player that you can fit easily in your pocket or what have you. Both versions of the iPod fall into this category... only one has a significantly greater storage capacity for only a slightly higher price. And even though I'm aware that the smaller size is probably more expensive for Apple to produce, thus raising the sale price, I personally just can't justify it's cost and would never buy one. But that's just me.

Additionally, the Nano's use flash drive technology, which is solid state..no moving parts. One of the common problems with normal iPods is skipping. Hard drives, even those developed for mobile technologies, still don't like to be jogged around. Solid state devices have no such qualms, making this a better replacement for the shuffle user than the traditional iPod user (as you can take it with you running or to the gym, but now you get a screen and the additional functionality of a traditional iPod).

Yes, it's a niche product, but I think it'll be worth it for some people.
    Good points...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast