--- Thunderdome 5 [REDESIGN CLASSIC GAME CHARACTERS] Work in progress thread

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,198 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin good so far davi I love the choice...looks awesome hehe. I wouldn't crop the edges like you have done though I would back off a bit (camera angle I mean) and give the character more room to breathe. Perhaps the cropping is just in the wrong place...I could be wrong that's just my first impression. Awesome though hehe...you gonna fully render this out or move on to another one?

I started one for frankenstein but since the theme switched I have to think of something else...I might finish this not sure.

I was thinking of doing strider...do you remember that game strider...that would be kind of cool. I also was thinking of redoing ninja gaiden...we'll see I guess...

Maybe I could redo a boy and his blob...do you remember that game hehehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.creatureone.com/eggplant5.jpg update

i'm just cropping it so the piece isn't HUGE. i'm doing the staff and all that.

Yeah i wish we would have changed the theme faster sorry bout that mind candy..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey that's really coming along nice Davi...that's gonna be awesome hahahah. I love it! Maybe you could have the eggplants dangling off of the staff like a shaman or something. A couple things to be careful of as you are painting this...his right hand is wrapped around the staff at a little bit of a weird angle. Perhaps make his arm a bit longer to make up the angle or bring the staff closer. Also his left arm and shoulder seem a little off. I know it's in the early stages I just wanted to let you know before you got heavily into it (you probably already saw it).

No worries about changing the theme. I am going to contribute but my stuff stinks at this point anyways so I am just contributing for myself and just to support the contest. No worries...now I get to paint both hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the original character:
    Jay McCray, from Journey to Silius...the plot is something along the lines of terrorists killed your dad, so you decide (in classical NES fashion) to wage a one man war against them, even though the terrorists are all like hoppy robots and stuff...doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but the music and gameplay were great Here's some quick sketches I did last night...
    C&C?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Davi - that eggplant wizard is great. It honestly made me laugh out loud like a maniac. Cannot wait for the finished piece!

I already started some preliminary sketches of my own for thunderdome - COMING SOON TO THREAD NEAR YOU

- Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eggplant wizard is a genius idea... cant wait to see it finished
    heres my first thought when you mention classic games

however i dont think its contest-worthy, im gonna pick a different character and submit a real one later :cool:

Last edited by harrigton; April 2nd, 2003 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scott O'Conner from Kabuki Quantum Figther.

Weird game where you had to kill your enemies with your hair. I enjoyed a lot.

Here´s the first sketch.

Jaku

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Jaku...
    that was one of my favorite games... good choice

You're a monkey Derek...BE A MONKEY!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.biederman.net/donkeyslayer/davi5donk.wpe
    ^i did OC with davi. I created yoshi, as an amputee. he has no arms. davi did eggplant man above me (in the wpe).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harrington, I'm glad you decided not to go with Pac-Man. That's the one I'm doing.

waka waka waka waka waka waka

mitch

There was much rejoicing in the realm of the Harvest Gods when man created the beer, light could not penetrate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This will be my contribution.

I thought Bionic Commando was one of the the best games ever!
    I havn't done any sketchs for this yet. I have been busy with other work..and sick.
    I just figured I would post what I was planing on doing.

Here is my first sketch...

Last edited by boehmke; April 15th, 2003 at 12:07 AM.
    -PHUNT-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you should do master D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to try doing Kefka, from Final Fantasy III (or VI.. the numbering of these games is all screwy):

here is the original:

... and another version of the later, more powerful, Kefka:

Still have Bahamut on the brain though... May give that a go too.

Last edited by oglzogl; April 4th, 2003 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very, very, very rough. From the Lost Vikings. Blizzard recently re-released the game and so I thought how could I change them?

Apparently not very much, basically just starting with some rough sketches. Here's my first of the Viking with bow and arrows and sword I think I'll do the actual revamping of the characters after I get a good feel for what their functions are in the team. Maybe took me 20minutes...

http://www.samurai-pete-studios.50me...ostviking1.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.biederman.net/donkeyslayer/davi6donk.wpe
    davi was making a skinny birdie from StreetFighter
    i was making a redo of the boy from secret of mana.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

odin from ff

well i guess i will play with you lot: i am getting more and more focused on the concept work side of my folio. i had put this up on the 'its finally finished' board but only one person responded:/... please tell me if its awful.. its a new style for me so i am unsure about it myself.
    i think i will do a few entries for this if i have time: i need to build my skills and this looks like a perfect oportunity for me to do it .- very relevant to the kind of folio i want to build.
    i will go delete my old post....
    heres the image:

cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't know if "soulreaver" is classic or not but i did some drawings for it...if you say "it's not classic" i will change the subject...
    here are some redesign sketches of soulreaver

:chug:

Art Blog
    My Website

Emrah ELMASLI

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually don't think of him as very 'classic', Soul reaver came out in 1999 that's only a few years ago.

if you did the first Kain from blood omen i would let it go as classic but even that is pushing it

Tekura Guest
    Hi All,

I've decided to enter for this one, and I've chosen to revamp those cute little rascals Bubble Bobble. I remember playing this when I was wee girlie, and I enjoyed it very much...

If the link doesn't work, soz (I'll try to fix it...)

Tx

http://217.31.133.100/tekura/bub_bob_TM/default.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

bubble bobble - weeeeeeeeeeeee :D

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - cutsie!!!
    Bubble bobble! Great choice!! *whistles bubble-bobble tunes* That was one of the games I also were thinking of doing, but I laid those plans aside for a even cooler game!
    Well see when I dare to post them...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edit:

We don't need this post anymore... or the images I got my mind made up far down...

thanks to Adam, lol.

Last edited by Severith; April 11th, 2003 at 10:40 AM.
    An artist cannot fail, it is a success to be one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think redesigning a fully-detailed character who has been visually represented in any number of formats (2d games, 3d games, traditional animation, action figures...) sort of defeats the purpose of this contest. My 2 cents, anyways...here's my post from the thunderdome thread, that seemed (?) to go unchallenged by the mods, so i'll assume it is at least close to the mark:

"i think the point of this contest was to take a very nearly abstract blob of color (or retro-instruction book illustration that in no way resembles said blob) that for whatever reason has emotional/nostalgic value for you, and to breathe new life into it, and to make it something that represents both the way you respond to the character and game, but also what the game was originally about. The challenge is supposed to be in placing all the nostalgia/emotion of the original game or that period of your childhood or whatever into that one picture, the inspiration for which is a total of 64 little blocks of color, or a black-and-white, nickel-sized instruction book illustration Choosing a well-developed character that has been repeatedly rendered in 3D would seem to defeat this purpose." Again, if i'm wrong mods, please correct! Otherwise...yeah. Hope i'm helping...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agreed.

not to be terribly blunt, but dont you guys get it?

the point is to make an abstract blob of color into a very detailed representation of what that character was meant to be.
    since the original (indistinguishable, pixelated, NOT DONE IN 3D) character is NOT VERY DETAILED, this will:

A) be the FIRST 3D detailed representation of that character.
    B) be challenging because of it being the FIRST, and
    C) be completely ORIGINAL AND CREATIVE.

redesigning characters that have already been rendered in 3D,(whether in the game or on TV, Mr. dragonballz) completely misses the point of making the first DETAILED 3D REPRESENTATION OF THAT CHARACTER.

this is not to take away from the creativity involved in designing the character the way you thought they should've been made. but redesigning a character that was CREATED in a very detailed and original way does NOT leave alot of room for creativity and innovation.
    sure you can change the clothes, the hair, the colors, but how much can you alter and replace before the original idea of what that character was meant to be is gone?
    starting with a detailed character leaves alot of opportunity for cool pictures, but not alot of room for very original ideas. its hard to draw an creative, original, brand new something when a new perfect, highly detailed picture is right in front of you.

a perfect example of what should be done is android's project on turning original pixelated samus into what you've all seen in metroid prime. now its our turn.

it does not matter if the game is 10 years old or so if its not a CLASSIC! see dragonballz, see legacy of kain, see other games that have well rendered ideas of characters.

go oldschool, characters that look like they were made in fucking paintbrush with 36 pixels. something that forces you to be original and essentially MAKE SHIT UP!

ill have a double of inspiration, please.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

King Hippo

a 27 minute rough, would like some crits/comments as to where i should go with this. thanks.
    http://www.angelfire.com/comics/helltaxi/kingrough.txt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 133 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Adam and skarycory-

I could have not said it better myself, that is exactealy what i hoped you guys would get out of this contest,

game on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    come on guys.. take some time and stray a little further from the origional. thats what this things all about..

and if you dont get your act's together quick like im gonna ownzor you all with my 31337 game MonZtoR..

i apologise for the leet speak.. it wont happen again.

-Lono

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah thats what I thought the contest was about Adam and Skarycory.

At first I though about doing Frog for Chrono Trigger. But if you change if from a frog well hes not what the character was meant to be, if you even change him from the reluctant knight, you change the story of the game..

Therefore I will probably do either Magus, whose character was basically "I am an evil badass" or White Mage from FF.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Qbert designs

Lemme know what you guys think...I was trying to flesh out some Q-Bert designs

Q-Bert

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.