Thread: my hopes are dashed..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts

Unhappy my hopes are dashed..

just had a university information session at school and discovered some things i hadnt known that would have influenced my whole year of study..

basically im failing pure maths (6 out of 20), never was a maths person, thought i could do it but quite obviously i bit off more than i could chew. anyhow, im getting enough that ill complete my required subject pattern - at least 4 HESS general subjects and only one HESS restricted - jargon, but you get the idea. im scoring very well in the remainder of my subjects (ranging from 16-19's out of 20's, but averaging 17s) and would easily achieve the TER (tertiary entrance rank) that i need for the course (graphic design and illustration), but if i dont get a minimum score of 10 out of 20 for at least 4 HESS general subjects, then i cant apply for uni at all. my portfolio will mean jack if i cant drag that grade up.

i have an end of year exam for maths, which will be weighted at 50 percent of my total grade. if i dont make good in that, then ive got the option of A) staying back home for a whole other year, stacking shelves and doing one make up subject at school, B) applying to a lesser course at a nameless TAFE, or C) being a homeless bum. C is looking like a winner at the moment. not happy at all.

*sulks in corner*

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Your Australian education system sounds more like an rpg complete with 1d20's, damage modifiers, and the sort. Regardless, that sucks. I'm a math dork so while I personally don't follow, you sound like my younger brother. So, I'll tell you what worked for him. Get yourself a tutor or two. Sometimes teachers and books can't step out of their own world enough to help you understand theirs. That's why a tutor is helpful because they usually are a little more skilled in reaching people that don't understand in the orthodox manner. On a positive note, the fact you're not so great at math probably means you will be an excellent artist.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    got a tutor. hes great and all, i just cant keep the numbers down. they flow in one ear and out the other. meh.

Thanks
    You don't have to go to university you know, I'm not! and look at me now!!
    Take a look at greatness
    SSG#10 is your party host
    I'm the standard of greatness and I'm your new hero, baby~

Thanks
    Thanked 11,353 Times in 2,876 Posts
    looks like you need more time studying then and much less posting in the lounge and checking back to see if you got a response.

sometimes you have to do difficult things. be a man and do it until its done right. move on. move forward. get it over with.

I will help you out....thread closed.

jason