Help with schools in New York
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help with schools in New York

Ok, so I posted some time ago about basically the same things, but now Im gonnna apply this winter to a bunch of different schools, but I need your input on them, as I am in Sweden, so anyone attending or anyone with information are welcome to reply!
    So here goes:

I have just completed a two year Visual Communications program in Sweden, at Berghs school of Communication. Before that i took an année preparatoire at L´ESAG in Paris, France, basically, to learn how to draw. But my dream has always been to study in New York, so Ive been checking the options, and these are the schools Ive planned on applying to, with pros and cons:

FIT, affordable w/o scholarship, 2 or four year plan, acces to electives
    through SUNY?

SVA, good school, expensive, general recognition

Cooper Union, difficult entry, extremly wide program

Since I would eventually like to work on films, as a director/art director preferably, hehe, but I still would like to learn as much as possible from the design perspective.

The advantage of being able to visualise my ideas are very improtant to me, therefore I would like my education to be as broad as possible. So does anyone have any experience in regards to these schools, or any other tips on schools? i plan to go to NY in November to attend the national portfolio day on thew 18th, and at the same time visit as many schools as pos. Im not nececcerally (sp?) looking for Graphic design, more a program that covers motion graphics, traditional/conceptual art and developement, producing and marketing skills, etc. Am I under the right impression that it is possible to choose quite freely amongst the courses at SUNY as minors, if I attend FIT?
    Also, is it possible to see an accepted students portfolio from fx Cooper Union? Its quite difficult to get a grasp on what skill level they look for.

This autumn I will be taking evening art classes to improve my skills, including lifedrawing, nude draing, illustration techniques, advanced drawing and watercoulors.

So anyway, input and advice would be extremly helpful, and hopefully I will soon be joining you guys in subwaysketching and whatnot!

Another thing that worries me is the fact that I will be 27 years old when I start next spring/autumn. Do I need to be concerned with this?

Cheers, Tim

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those sound like the kinds of questions you should be asking the schools you're looking at directly, if those questions aren't answered in their college catalog or website.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course, but its always good to have student input!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by timpaatkins
    Another thing that worries me is the fact that I will be 27 years old when I start next spring/autumn. Do I need to be concerned with this?
    Age really isn't an issue unless you want to make it an issue. I teach a few students twice that age and they're just as dedicated and enthusiastic as any 19 year old kid fresh out of high school. It's all about attitude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right you are Dave, guess Im kinda approaching a sensitive age for me...
    Drama queen! Hehe...
    So anyway, after som helpful crits about focusing probles from goldenavatar, I have posted a more precise definition of where I would like to go with my studys in NY. I will copy and paste this below, and hope noone thinks Im double posting or wasting anyones time! Ok, so a straight copy /paste from the New York region thread:

"Right you are, golden, I appologize for my fuzzyness, I dont want to waste your guys time, I look at myself the same way! (Damn it, Tim focus!)

So ill give you all some more info, basically the reason I was looking at Cooper is the fact that they seem to teach a little of everything, so that my competence area would become really wide, from sculpture to film editing, photography, lighting, drawing, writing, concept developpement, graphic design etc. Its very important for me to know aspects of lots of creative jobs so that I dont feel limited when trying to develop and produce concepts, but especially the ability to visualise my ideas to a creative team that can then take them further, to the next level.

I am going to be a director/art director, but I want to know everyones job better than they do, a bit like the James Cameron approach. Im not interested in becoming soly an illustrator/graphic designer/editor/soundman, I want do become something of a conglomerate of everything, I know it sounds like im looking to become a jack of all trades, but I really cannot imagine being nailed down with a title. From what Ive looked at, If I had to put a title to my planned education, it would be Interactive Media Deisgn, with chosen minors that will fill up my competence, depending on what the couorse program was.

Of course, going to New York is a main thing for me, inspirationwise, and we have a student loan system in Sweden that allows me to borrow money to study abroad. It wont cover $25000/sem. but if I got in to a school like that, I would apply for grants or scholarships. Basically I can borrow all of the cost for fx FIT, plus living. I see these loans as an investment in myself, so I dont have a problem with that. Id rather take loans to experiment, than winding up in a job, Id hate in 10 years time. Basically I have the chance to go somewhere and do my best and not have to worry about income for a few years, but I want to fill that time with the best possible experience/education.

Now the system in Sweden doesnt really work the same as in USA, and since I dont really know how it works over there, I thought it best to ask actual students.

So I would like to fx major in Graphic Design, and then take electives/minors to build up my knowledge in other areas, if I fx went to FIT, basically just filling my time learning as much as possible.

I have the ambition/mindset to become best in everything, as im a firm beliver in "aim for the stars, you might hit the rooftop, aim for the rooftop, dont even bother". I am a dreaming realist, if that makes any sense...

Now some of you might say this isnt the right forum for this go somewhere else, but I really feel it is, I belive all creative outgoings are linked together, and just knowing one dicepline hurts me more than it helps. "

Every time I rewrite this it helps me to focus, and to get me where I wanna be something I havnt dared do before, so any comments are helpfull you guys!

Tim

Last edited by timpaatkins; September 8th, 2005 at 08:54 AM.
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, I'd definetly have to suggest you apply to FIT - SUNY, and have that at the top of your list. As a matter of fact, I'd put in my completed application in the mail as of right now and I'll tell you why. I've yet to come across anyone who's done badly there for a lack of anything other then poor self-discipline. Looking at that sketchbook thread of yours, and reading what you've said it seems like SVA's a bit over your head, financially, as well as skill wise. And I'd have to put Pratt in that category as well. If anything, should you find your time at FIT to be lacking, you can always take some classes on the side at the Art students league, since they're affordable out of pocket, and you'd already be in the general area. Cooper Union, I don't hear a great deal of consistently good things about anymore. When everything is said and done, you can apply to all the schools on your list, but FIT's probably your best bet. Best of luck to ya man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers golden and dave for the helpful information! Hopefully Ill see you guys in real life when I visit in Nov. I thought Id join you for a subway sketching session. I kinda already decided on FIT, I guess I just needed some recognition from the forum whos views I respect the most!

Tim

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.