Continued Education

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Continued Education

Well I've got 5 months left to graduate from Art Institute of Dallas. I chose the concept or Previz tract here so I could hone my illustrative skills. But now I am addicted to school. I soaked in everything that was given to me and more. My next move is to get a job and continue with a Bachelors degree in Illustration. I will have to milk this one though because I'm sure the world out there is going to be many hours of work and not much time for school, I'm ok with that. So any suggestions on how to go about milking a degree while working. I am committed, I sacrificed a military retirement to persue my dream of being a professional artist.

What do I need to look for in an Illustration degree, or what schools are recommended for schooling at a snails pace?

Mitch

There was much rejoicing in the realm of the Harvest Gods when man created the beer, light could not penetrate.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mitch -
    maybe it's just me... I can be slow sometimes...but I'm not sure what you're saying...are you intending to complete the degree at Dallas (bachelors?) and go on to get another bach. degree in illustration OR are you thinking about moving to another school to complete the bachelors' and change from what you're doing to "illustration"?

Are you looking to move to another part of the country? If that's what you're looking to do I'd recommend either West coast or East coast, but there's some great schools inbetween too. I can give you a list of 'skools' in California; or my 2 cents on what I would've done if I had it to do over...everybody's got an opinion...

It's tough to find a quality accredited school that allows a part time student - I was thinking about getting an MFA myself, so I've looked. non-accredited --- there are some interesting options.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right now AID does not have a Bach degree program. I will have to choose a school that is in the area of where I will be working after I graduate here. Who knows where that will be. Anywhere in the world is a possibility, home is where I hang my hat. So with that; Is it possible to do a Bachelors while busting ass in the industry? The schools I WANT are all in Cali. L.A. , S.F.. soo. Is there someone on this forum in my simillar situation?

Mitch

There was much rejoicing in the realm of the Harvest Gods when man created the beer, light could not penetrate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well....i AM in your situation somewhat. i am about to graduate from the art institute here in Chicago. kind of a mistake going here but...you live and you learn, and i want to continue learning. i have actually taken Jason Manley's advice and am pursuing a mentor like relationship. there is a painter here who teaches at our school and runs his own school downtown. Bruno Surdo is his name, i had him in one class and he's into helping people that are committed. he's a traditional painter enthusiast galore. maybe you could search for a similar approach. sorry about not knowing any schools. but this is how i am going to approach it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im going to be doing the same thing as keyth, trying to sit down with one of my fav teachers once a week, and show him what im doing and discuss it. Im at the art institute of phoenix, the one thing good about the school i can say is that I've gained good presentation skills. Not enough art skills though, barely any acctually. Not sure how to approach the whole mentor thing though. Im almost done with school (10 more months) and i feel i need another year. Im getting my BA in Computer Animation, and while working in 3d so much and not getting enough time practicing drawing has dulled my drawing skills to say the least.

I got an internship at a Game Publishers in scottsdale, AZ, I'm learning alot about the industry from a publishers point of view. This is helping out alot and im getting some good resume stuff and class credit out of it which is nice. I'm starting to try and take my hope for a better education out of the school and into my own hands.

I think if you get a good job that you want and work with other good artist. That would be enough extra education in itself. Unless you want a BA for high paying jobs or what ever it does in the art field.

I didnt help you out at all... sorry.

Last edited by nick reynolds; August 31st, 2002 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nick -
    Have you taken any classes or workshops at the Scottsdale Artists' School? Great stuff! World-class painters and teachers from all over come there to teach. They've got life drawing/open studio 2-3 times a week on evenings and weekends too, if I'm not mistaken, for pretty cheap. They also run "local" evening classes too. Relatively speaking, the classes are very reasonable in cost -- though for "starving college students" I'm sure it's still costly.

I try to come out every year or two for a workshop. I'd even recommend cutting classes for a week to take a top-class workshop with someone say... like Richard Schmid or David Leffel or Dan Goozee or Daniel Greene, etc.

If I lived anywhere close to Scottsdale, believe me, I'd be a regular. I'd guess some at the university might look down on this "school", but it will certainly offer you a lot of good training in traditional drawing and painting methods that seems only in the last few years to be coming back in fashion to more mainstream colleges and universities, (imho).

http://www.scottsdaleartschool.org/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks alot, Ill definatley look into that. Its hard for me to sit in on life drawing classes at my school, because they are always full or they are conflicting with my schedule. Hopefully this will be a good option.

thanks agian

Nick

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Mitch,

I graduated from AI houston w/an Associates myself. I really want to obtain at least a bachelors degree. So we're kind of in the same boat. I've heard of people having problems, so you might need to check on the transferability of those pesky art institute credits. I couple schools I've contacted said they would take none of them and I'll basically have to start from scratch.:o UNLESS i stay within Art institutes international chain of schools. but that's not gonna work for me this time.. I want a real education in art.

So what to do?
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited by Grooveholmes; September 9th, 2002 at 01:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sucks. You know I'm not so concerned about diplomas on paper, I mean it would be cool to get credit for everyting I've learned, but aside from maybe two classes, I wouldn't trade any of it. screw diplomas, it's what you learned while doing it that really counts. Right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh yeah of course, its just tough paying for a year or two that won't transfer a second time. Pilling on the debt.
    Paper doesn't concern me as much as learning really. I was just catching my stride when the two yrs I was in school ended.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.