Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

I'm a newbie with a serious question

Okay. I'm 14, and I love drawing anime, but allot of people allways bug me about "You need to draw realism". Which I do, but I enjoy drawing anime more. I don't know what it is, it's just funner, and at this point, that's what I want to do. Besides, in the feild that im planing on going into, anatomy isn't really that important.

My anatomy isn't extreamly off in most cases, but it's not realistic. Iv'e never had an art class or anything so i don't really know any good ways of improving...or anything that I haven't taught myself.

Any who, does anyone know any really good ways of approching realism/anatomy?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you're drawing figures whether they are anime or not anatomy is important. When you don't have a proper understanding of structure that will show in your anime. Good luck.

Thanks
    well, dun let people bug u, there is no need to do just realistic things. there is nothin wrong with drawin manga. Most important thing is that u keep drawin and draw a lot.
    How ever just as people should not close them self for manga and anime, u should not do the same with what u call traditional. U should ask urself honestly what is helpin u to improve as an artist, wich would be in ur case a manga artist. I am sure that things like anatomy and landscapes will improve ur skills as an manga artist a lot. U also should think about the fact that drawin is fun and whe all like it, but after all to a certain degree it is a craft wich needs to be trained and learned.

well the best way to approach realizm and anatomy is go out and draw what u see. Get ur self a sketch book, cary it around n just fill the pages.
    For anatomy the best way is to attend life drawin classes together with a good anatomy book for artists.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreckster
    well, dun let people bug u, there is no need to do just realistic things. there is nothin wrong with drawin manga. Most important thing is that u keep drawin and draw a lot.
    How ever just as people should not close them self for manga and anime, u should not do the same with what u call traditional. U should ask urself honestly what is helpin u to improve as an artist, wich would be in ur case a manga artist. I am sure that things like anatomy and landscapes will improve ur skills as an manga artist a lot. U also should think about the fact that drawin is fun and whe all like it, but after all to a certain degree it is a craft wich needs to be trained and learned.

well the best way to approach realizm and anatomy is go out and draw what u see. Get ur self a sketch book, cary it around n just fill the pages.
    For anatomy the best way is to attend life drawin classes together with a good anatomy book for artists.
    I know, but I know they're right. I think that it would help me, but Im just not sure what the best way to approach it would be.

Thanks
    If you cant draw a realistic figure, then you'll have no idea how to distort it correctly to whatever anime proportions you're going for. ALL of the best anime/manga artists can also draw realistic figures as well.

So you enjoy drawing anime? well, keep drawing it if you really want to. Just be advised that you're never going to be particularly good if you cant draw anything that actually exists in the real world.

Thanks
    I think the reason people say that is because it is very important to get the foundations of art first (proportions, anatomy, perspective, etc.) before doing different styles, such as anime.

Thanks
    When you climb a ladder, you are unfamiliar with, you climb one step at a time to make sure everything is ok, you don't rush up because you don't know how the ladder is built or structured.

I hope this analogy explains your situation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakian
    I know, but I know they're right. I think that it would help me, but Im just not sure what the best way to approach it would be.
    Its quiet easy like allready sayd. Go out and draw what u see. A very common approach is a mixture of life drawin and copy from reference. Try to learn from other artists.
    In ur case if whe take a look at anatomy for example. the best thing might be a mix out of doing copys and studys of a anatomy book for artists together with photo reference drawins and finaly actual life drawin.
    At ur age it is very important to train ur eye (in order to see what is important) and ur hand (in order to bring what u see/want down on paper).

Dont waste to much time on thinkin what might be the best approach, if u draw what u see u will be fine for now.

Thanks
    Best way is to go out there and pick up a Loomis or Hogarth or Bridgman book and stud from there since it takes you sequentialls through the steps.

The reason you like drawing anime is because you think it looks cool, but without foundation all you will ever be is just another cookie cut out artist.

Thanks
    No, man. You will need to start drawing realism, even if you want to wind up with anime as your ends. Learning proper anatomy and color will add a ton of more depth to your work. And you'll be able to apply traditional techniques to your anime giving it a cool effect. Trust me, I once had the exact same attitude as you. Until industry professionals on this site whipped me into shape. Even those who do anime / manga have told em to do realism, man.

Besides, you mind wind up having alot more fun with traditional drawing that you'd have thought.
    Last edited by Interceptor; October 23rd, 2006 at 02:16 AM.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Uhh... maybe it's just me, but you contradicted yourself sorta...

"Besides, in the feild that im planing on going into, anatomy isn't really that important. "

"My anatomy isn't extreamly off in most cases, but it's not realistic"

Anatomy is ALWAYS IMPORTANT. A-L-W-A-Y-S. If it's not realistic, it's off. This may seem confusing, but even distorted anatomy can be realistic. Anatomy is off when it looks bad- Don't just try and try until you get lucky.

Not to mention you are 14- I'm 15, and there is a period of time when you start to realize how to do something- Like art puberty. I'm just hitting it now- It's like with real puberty, saying "I couldn't imagine fighting with my parents."

But you do. You think you know something, but then you start to see things. My advice for hitting ART puberty early- Look outside. Today, I observed clouds for over an hour while we were in the car. You don't have to draw it, but look at it and write it down in your head. Like cars- The shiniest parts are the edges, with small, thin highlights. Look at things like the railroad crossing Gates, look how the mechanism works.
    Look at different materials, and why they reflect the way they do. Also, look at shadows. Think about how the object in shadow is the EXACT same color as it always was, but it only looks different because there is no strong light hitting it. Stuff like that.

Oh, one more note- DO NOT DO NOT! MAKE A STYLE. It will come to you. Dont draw anime, just draw. Because you like anime, it will come out anime. Don't say "Pointy chin", just draw a chin. It will come out pointy. Don't say "Spikey Hair!", just draw hair. It will be spikey. If you want it, it will come to you. You may think I'm crazy, but trust me. Don't try to craft a style. It's alot like Handwriting- Did you MAKE your handwriting? No. Same with the basics of art- like the ABC's- Or as I call them, the

A .rt B.asiC.'s

You study in the first years of school the alphabet. How to say them, how to construct them, line by line. The ABC's are the same way, study HOW to construct things, until you got it down pat. Then, just draw, without focusing to hard on proper anatomy, etc.- However, make sure you constantly look at the big pic- Don't get caught up in little details. General to specific is the way to go. When you know anatomy properly, and have studied it, then you draw whatever, and it comes out looking better.

Sorry if this was confusin at all.

And you are lucky if people TELL you to draw from life. I would have gladly, but noone told me until ;ast year. That I regret. Do not regret!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeldragoon
    Uhh... maybe it's just me, but you contradicted yourself sorta...

"Besides, in the feild that im planing on going into, anatomy isn't really that important. "

"My anatomy isn't extreamly off in most cases, but it's not realistic"

Anatomy is ALWAYS IMPORTANT. A-L-W-A-Y-S. If it's not realistic, it's off. This may seem confusing, but even distorted anatomy can be realistic. Anatomy is off when it looks bad- Don't just try and try until you get lucky.

Not to mention you are 14- I'm 15, and there is a period of time when you start to realize how to do something- Like art puberty. I'm just hitting it now- It's like with real puberty, saying "I couldn't imagine fighting with my parents."

But you do. You think you know something, but then you start to see things. My advice for hitting ART puberty early- Look outside. Today, I observed clouds for over an hour while we were in the car. You don't have to draw it, but look at it and write it down in your head. Like cars- The shiniest parts are the edges, with small, thin highlights. Look at things like the railroad crossing Gates, look how the mechanism works.
    Look at different materials, and why they reflect the way they do. Also, look at shadows. Think about how the object in shadow is the EXACT same color as it always was, but it only looks different because there is no strong light hitting it. Stuff like that.

Oh, one more note- DO NOT DO NOT! MAKE A STYLE. It will come to you. Dont draw anime, just draw. Because you like anime, it will come out anime. Don't say "Pointy chin", just draw a chin. It will come out pointy. Don't say "Spikey Hair!", just draw hair. It will be spikey. If you want it, it will come to you. You may think I'm crazy, but trust me. Don't try to craft a style. It's alot like Handwriting- Did you MAKE your handwriting? No. Same with the basics of art- like the ABC's- Or as I call them, the

A .rt B.asiC.'s

You study in the first years of school the alphabet. How to say them, how to construct them, line by line. The ABC's are the same way, study HOW to construct things, until you got it down pat. Then, just draw, without focusing to hard on proper anatomy, etc.- However, make sure you constantly look at the big pic- Don't get caught up in little details. General to specific is the way to go. When you know anatomy properly, and have studied it, then you draw whatever, and it comes out looking better.

Sorry if this was confusin at all.

And you are lucky if people TELL you to draw from life. I would have gladly, but noone told me until ;ast year. That I regret. Do not regret!!!
    No one, amateur or professional could have said it better

Thanks
    When I said the feild I was trying to get into, I meant animation...and allot of things I see in animation...aren't even really anatomicly correct but stylized.
    But whatever.
    I don't draw anime because I think its cool....infact I hate most anime. I like anime...mostly because it's more real-looking ((I know )) then Garfeild, Fairly Odd Parents, and spounge Bob and the genres are more mature.

And I DO know that people that drew anime knew realism before, that's why I'm trying to learn it.

Thank you PixleDragon, You're very helpful.

Thanks
    Stylised animation also come from proper knowledge of art foundation, without it, people who have been doing it for a long time will spot your weaknesses within about 10 seconds - I kid you not.

Thanks
    Good thing Im trying then.

Thanks
    You're trying to do something uneccesarily uncanny. That's like people thinking they'll be another Prometheus and not need to attend artschool or such. It does'nt work that way. Unless you some kind of absolute phenom, you NEED to take people's advice on this.
    Last edited by Interceptor; October 23rd, 2006 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    You're trying to do something uneccesarily uncanny. That's like people thinking they'll be another Priometheus and not need to attend artschool or such. It does'nt work that way. Unless you some kind of absolute phenom, you NEED to take people's advice on this.
    What one earth made you think that Im not.....? It's not like I dont WANT to take classes, its that I haven't had any. Im not trying to deny that they are correct. I know that realism is important to learn and vital to growing as an artist.

Thanks
    What one earth made you think that Im not.....? It's not like I dont WANT to take classes, its that I haven't had any. Im not trying to deny that they are correct. I know that realism is important to learn and vital to growing as an artist.
    Okay. I'm 14, and I love drawing anime, but allot of people allways bug me about "You need to draw realism". Which I do, but I enjoy drawing anime more. I don't know what it is, it's just funner, and at this point, that's what I want to do. Besides, in the feild that im planing on going into, anatomy isn't really that important.

My anatomy isn't extreamly off in most cases, but it's not realistic. Iv'e never had an art class or anything so i don't really know any good ways of improving...or anything that I haven't taught myself.

Any who, does anyone know any really good ways of approching realism/anatomy?
    Right there.

Thanks
    I should tell you that what you're trying to do will take time, longer than you expect. Good thing you are doing this young.

Thanks
    Right there.
    But if I didn't care, then why would I waste people's time with making a thread?

JERI: Yeah I know.

Thanks
    d00d, chill. I'm just trying to help you out. as someone who's been in your position.

Thanks

Nnnooooo!

Don't listen to these losers!
    They're just embarrassed because when someone told them they should waste away the most creative of their years on the so-called "foundations" they believed that cruel, cruel person!
    Now they're trying to take it all out on you, just like they tried with me, BUT IT DIDN'T WORK!

No, you mustn't succumb to their frightful suggestions and become yet another drone of the "accepted" way of art, spending your best years slouched over dusty tomes of "anatomy" and "color theory" while your peers are standing up tall and declaring themselves independent of the constricting traditions these poor souls were forced into by their elders! Reading and studying and "learning" will give you nothing but a good brain-washing of THEIR idea of what is pleasing to the eye and what isn't. You must resist all of their attempts to school you into their devilish ways and remain free from all outside influences on who it is that you are! Run free little man, run free!
    I'll slow them down! Run!

Thanks
    Positively the most retarded post I have ever seen on these forums

Quote Originally Posted by n00b
    They're just embarrassed because when someone told them they should waste away the most creative of their years on the so-called "foundations" they believed that cruel, cruel person!
    Now they're trying to take it all out on you, just like they tried with me, BUT IT DIDN'T WORK!

No, you mustn't succumb to their frightful suggestions and become yet another drone of the "accepted" way of art, spending your best years slouched over dusty tomes of "anatomy" and "color theory" while your peers are standing up tall and declaring themselves independent of the constricting traditions these poor souls were forced into by their elders! Reading and studying and "learning" will give you nothing but a good brain-washing of THEIR idea of what is pleasing to the eye and what isn't. You must resist all of their attempts to school you into their devilish ways and remain free from all outside influences on who it is that you are! Run free little man, run free!

Thanks

..... dear god...I think they know what they are talking about. I should listen to them, and then decide if I agree or not.

Thanks
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH you dont need anatomy for animation? riiiiiiiiiight

maybe if your gunna animate bouncing balls

Thanks
    All they know is their hate for the people that told them to "study" "anatomy" and "techniques," and their need to get back at someone for destroying their entire careers. Unfortunately, the only people they CAN get back at are us n00bs. Of course, we had nothing to do with it, but rationality is not generally the way of people blinded by their pain and hate.

Thanks
    All they know is their hate for the people that told them to "study" "anatomy" and "techniques," and their need to get back at someone for destroying their entire careers. Unfortunately, the only people they CAN get back at are us n00bs. Of course, we had nothing to do with it, but rationality is not generally the way of people blinded by their pain and hate.
    Do you need a hug?

what if I wanted to do bouncing balls. XD.

Thanks
    NO! I've been on the wrong direction for a very long time. until Poshspice, poise and Dave Finch slapped me into shape by showing me the benefits of tarduitional studies. and now I can finally present pieces of art that I am proud to show. You... have not a damn clue what you're talking abouit

Thanks
    NO! I've been on the wrong direction for a very long time. until Poshspice, poise and Dave Finch slapped me into shape by showing me the benefits of tarduitional studies. and now I can finally present pieces of art that I am proud to show. You... have not a damn clue what you're talking abouit
    Don't give into him...after all...his name IS 'n00b'.

Thanks
    Wake up Interceptor! Not everything is lost! Look at what they're doing to you! They're just cramping your style!
    Break free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast