What makes an Artist?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks

What makes an Artist?

I want to ask you guys...

What makes an Artist?

why? because i look around at all the artists i personally know, all the artists on the net, and all of the artists here on and i have to wonder about my own art. My own reasoning for drawing...and at the moment, the only thing i can come up with is that i can.

Right now i am 21, still liveing at home, jobless, and going to a community college for the past 2 years and still takeing basic education classes. It's not that i'm stupid but simply because i have no deriction and i dont know what i want. i have changed my major so many times. (from massage therapy, physical thereapy, physcology, conslouing.) and i have yet to decide on anything. its depressing. When i was in highschool i wanted to be a comic artist. and when i took art in high school, i thought i didnt need to learn any traditional art...now i regret it. i might be so much better then i am now. i also have let anime affect my art waaaaay more then it should have (though i am guilty to admit that i like drawing it.)

So i'm just wondering now...now that i'm still going no where even though i considered going to an art college, because its the only thing i can actually see myself doing. am i really cut out for it? i for some reason dont think i'm passionate about it enough to go through all the trouble needed to be successful...even though i've spent the past 5 years trying to put art aside and try to find something that would be more finacially fruitful...and failing miserably....i'm lost and dismayed...to the point were at the moment i just want to up and leave and travel...by doing trucking. it sounds soo...i dont know out of place...

So i just want to know, what makes you guys tick like that? how is that all of you keep going, or even decided to trouble yourselves in the field of your choice. there are so many excellent artists on this site. I feel so misled.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    We become artists because we're too stupid to know better, can't keep down an honest job at anything else, and we're probably mentally defective. Aside from that...we do it because it's the best way to live we know of. Absolute freedom, no money...

...and it's legal to scare nromal people if you're an artist...that alone makes it all worthwhile.

It's the only field where someone with our egos can thrive without having to go to med school and chop up people.

Thanks
    your are not the only one darling.

Since I was a littile kid, I was fascinated by arts and drama, and I always wanted to be an artist and work in a theater. But parents didn't like that, so I ended up doing a Theoretical Physics degree.

Now I am a 21 year old, still living at home, jobless and feel greatly misled from my dreams.

BUT I am not complaining!

Thanks
    When i have a show - the only time in the year i have to be somewhere at a certent time - i always get drunk and do stuff like kissing the mayor of the city and talk absolut nonsens about my art. All the nice people smiles nad says:"thats an artist" - what they dont know is that im just a normal boring dude scared shitless of showing my paintings to them Art is the first thing on my mind when i wake up in the morning and the last thing on my mind when i go to bed.

Thanks
    thanks for the support guys! i appreciate it!

@Ilaekae: Thats an interesting view point. to scare people...lol. one of my profesors is an artist and she scares me. O.o; i wonder if it comes naturally or something.

@I_LOVE_ART: It's nice to see i'm not the only one in this predicament. i didnt think i was really complaining, just seeking some help and view points on the issue. but if i am, then i am. i'm just in a big slump 2+years of college and i havent even completed my AA.

@Bruce Pluto: You definatly speak the truth, and probably have the experience to back it up. i just alwasy figured when i would be the age i was that i would have something or be further along on something then i am now...and its disapointing...maybe i just fantisize too much or something...but i alwasy imagined myself to be married, working and have a faimly by my late twenties early thirties...idealy what i want...and true i'm still young, but it seems so far away...especially since i cant seem to ever make up my mind.

@Fellah.: I'd probably be afraid of that too..."Art is the first thing on my mind when i wake up in the morning and the last thing on my mind when i go to bed." thats what i'm afraid of...its not the only thing on my mind all the time, like most dedicated artists do. it only comes to mind when i have the urge to draw...and this worries me.

maybe i'm just being childish or frightened...but i personally think i lack whatever it is necasary to actually be called an ARTIST.

Thanks
    Tell me when you get the answer. I'm still searching myself. I think it's the want to show people through illustration, show ideas, theories, whatever. The problem is when a 12 year old recreates the flag of Japan on a huge canvas, and got paid several thousand dollars for it and is called a prodigy of modern art. I highly doubt she's an artist. I think it's... I dunno.

Thanks
    I dont know but I do scare people sometimes I like it, like Ilaekae said. Right know I too am taking classes at the local community college and want to see where I can go from there. I dont know if I chose to be an artist sometimes it seemed the only option or go crazy and snugle up in a cubicle and take a header of a bridge the day before retirement , I am going to do some more art tonight get angry for no understandable reason and get drunk and realize many dreams of what I want are societies sick mind games I fell for.
    Pixeldragoon I have no blasted idea I guess the counsel of twelve decided that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeldragoon
    Tell me when you get the answer. I'm still searching myself. I think it's the want to show people through illustration, show ideas, theories, whatever. The problem is when a 12 year old recreates the flag of Japan on a huge canvas, and got paid several thousand dollars for it and is called a prodigy of modern art. I highly doubt she's an artist. I think it's... I dunno.

yeah i agree with you. i have the same feelings...my art appreciation professor the other day tried to tell me that all art has a purpose. but i believe MOST art has a purpose...a huge canvas with a few splatters of paint on it, what purpose does that have? other then to make money some how in my opnion. but yeah

Thanks

Oh to be 21 again

Hi Kittywolf13,

Sounds like your in a place right now where I have found myself many times(your state on mind that is)

First, If you like what you do, keep doing it. It would be nice to say that in a given time you'll fine a great place to work
    doing art (or whatever). Make lots of money. Have plenty of time off. Get along great work your boss and coworkers and sit back and wait for retirement.

That's the fantasy (even though it could happen)

Now the reality. Work is work. You can enjoy it or hate it. It's a matter of being paid for what you do. There are very few, but some, folks that enjoy what they do all the time. You are still young with plenty of life to live. Pick sometime that you feel that you can do in your life. If its in the art field GREAT.
    Set some goals and don't let anyone tell you you can't reach them. Parts of the satisfation of work are reaching achievements. Study, learn, apply the skills you acquire and be ready for the bumps.Also be ready for the good fortune and breaks that come your way

good luck Bruce

Thanks
    I've been dreaming about becomeing an animator since I was 8-9. Everybody I've met have tried to hevily disgorage me. Some of them have even told me that I had too much fantasy in my head, so I had to eliminate it writing only dull stories. Now I completely lost the "power" to make a good story, but I'm trying to re-gain it... I'll end up talking too much.

I'm 20, soon to be 21, still live at home whit my parents, jobbless, maby not for long as I might become a condocteur (Boo Hoo! bah, itll pay enough for me to move out of this country in a few years), and I've never been in artshool. I have no friends to waste my time whit, no boyfriend either... I rarely even go outside.
    I only wake up in the morning to work on my art, and I got dificulities sleeping because I whant to finish the pice. I'm not even a good artist (I'd say Im allmost decent), so "leveling up" is also constantly on my mind.
    but it doesn't make me depresed.

My reason? Because it's funny. It's calming... and I can't watch movies all the day as I prefer watching them in company. Its practically my only hobby

Some artists are artists because they like it and just can be one. Others whats to give a message to the people.

Thanks
    Lady Medusa I am in a similar situation I just started last week taking art classes and for once I dont fell like an insane maniac everything does not have to be economically viable right of the bat, being creative is important my thougths are important.
    I see too many things as being too shallow I guess to little thougth required unlike art.
    Sit back and wait for retirment why bother with the gun you are long dead. Sorry I ramble.

Thanks
    I like putting visuals down on the paper, realistic visuals either from imagination or life/photos. That´s why I draw, I like to "create" stuff.

Thanks
    Artists are stubborn son of a bitches that spit in the eye of society and all it's hypocritical bullshit.

They're cynical too.

Thanks
    The term artist makes make think of alot of different things. I hate when my friends or family will introduce me to people as an 'artist', then they get the pretentious art prick student idea in there head. I personally think of CA when I think of artist. It's ... I dunno, a strange word. It's like ( and please no one take this the wrong way, I'm half African myself) when people use the word ''. Some people just mean it as a pal, friend, what have you. Others mean it as the nastiest of insults. I guess it's all kind of case sensitive....
    ....... I have no thesis.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSeRider
    Artists are stubborn son of a bitches that spit in the eye of society and all it's hypocritical bullshit.

They're cynical too.
    Not all artists are cynical, I for one can't stand the "oh I have so many problems, I am full of psuedo-trendy-angst and I'll wear this like a badge of honour on my tshirt" attitude. I think it sucks, I think its corny, I think its closed minded and its been done to death.

I think this thread has nothing to do with the thread title either - this thread is about confusion as to which path you wanna take Kitty. It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that art is the best route to take - given that you have tried and not-succeeded at the other vocations, you need to site down and really give this some thought, since mom and dad wont be there to support you forever.

Just remember, anything worth doing is never easy, and art imo as a vocation, is bloody difficult to make a living as unless you have the will power, and drive to get through it.

Becoming an artist, makes you constantly evaluate yourself, makes you question your very soul and right for living, I'd venture more than most other jobs.

Imo, you've already made up your mind, if you want to do illustration or be an artist, the only way thats going to happen is to log off, and work on your art, get into a good college, do the work and time, pay your dues, listen to your lecturers, practice practice practice and kee practicing, even as self doubt knaws away at you at each step.

If you're going to give it a go, you've gotta be a stubborn sucker, but thats the only thing that will keep you going at it while everyone around tells you you'll never make it, or that "maybe that high paying sales job WOULD be easier".

Artists are of a different breed, we dont live unless we do art, and you will never feel completely satisfied with life nless you are. I know for one, I could neverhave a normal job, I'd probably go postal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSeRider

They're cynical too.
    Well said
    I "dropped out of school" according to my non art friends this year to study painting, I'm not going to college or university I'm just going to get odd jobs on a vineyard, farm wherever and practice my painting until I get to a standard where i can make a living from it.
    I think that an artist is an artist if he/she follows their dream passionately not neccessarily conventionally. And I do think that artists see things very differently from the "normals"

Take a look at greatness
    SSG#10 is your party host
    I'm the standard of greatness and I'm your new hero, baby~

Thanks
    Maybe quote Sister Act 2 and say something a lá:
    If you wake up in the morning and all you can think of is art, then you're an artist.

Personally I'd rather say, an artist is someone willing to bleed his own soul in order to share it with the universe.

Thanks
    Art is the only hobby that really makes me feel relaxed. I don't do it for a living. If I did I probably wouldn't like it as much. It's fun, no deadlines, no rules, just creativity. When I'm creating art I'm solely focused on it and nothing else matters. Find something you like doing unconditionally.

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    An artist is a French guy with a palette and a hankercheif tied around his neck.... or a misunderstood teenager....
    ~Lover~

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Lover~
    An artist is a French guy with a palette and a hankercheif tied around his neck.... or a misunderstood teenager....
    ~Lover~

I know that was a jokey comment...but some would disagree... (as in all)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Lover~
    An artist is a French guy with a palette and a hankercheif tied around his neck
    You forgot the beret. He can't be an artist without his artist's hat.

Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.