Art: Ted's "It's Finally Finished" Thread (L5R GAME ART), (Sony's "The Con" Concepts)

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Ted's "It's Finally Finished" Thread (L5R GAME ART), (Sony's "The Con" Concepts)

Here is some card art I did for the "Legend of the Five Rings CCG." I'm kinda happy with them, but wanna know what you think.

Here is a link to a helpful article that covers image design when it is published in card form...http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/252

Last edited by Ted; February 4th, 2006 at 04:07 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    very nice, love the colors.

Hi Ted, nice job designing for the circular/rectangular format. I really like the red guy. Are those your own creature designs or were you working from a style guide?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

oof! love the colours as well, really wonderfull to look at. what happened to the hand holding the sword? looks like, well, i think its off, like at the wrong perspective in relation to the sword.

the shoulder pads look almost as an after thought, and im not sure how they stay on. the left side shoulder pad looks like its sliding off, but its detailed very nicely.

i tried the link to WoTC but its dead or something. anyways, i think these are wonderful, gonna go n have a look at your site. thanks for sharing

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪ ₪₪₪₪
    "By the breaking of my thumbs something wicked this way comes."
    ₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪ ₪₪₪₪
    Download Nebezials Digital Painting Tutorial in PDF from my site. Located in the downloads section.

Great stuff Ted. I was hoping to see you post these. I remember the enjoying last one at E3. I 'm glad we got a chane to meet eachother and bang around for a while. Keep posting!!!

flex mathews - Thanks.
    Elwell - Thanks for noticing the effort. These are my own creature designs. The art director wanted something with a lot of teeth for the first image and then another demon that awkwardly memicked a samuai for the second.
    jabberwookie - Glad you enjoy looking at these. Thanks for the critique. I fixed the link.
    KevinP - Hey Kevin. Thanks for the response...I'll keep an eye out for your work. Take it easy.

Last edited by Ted; September 7th, 2005 at 08:36 PM.

Ted-

First of all, excellent work. I love the general moods created by the colors, but the ppl above have said the same thing I think.

Secondly, I'm interested to know how you get information on drawing for cardgame illustrations. It is something I would like to participate in someday. If you could just e-mail me with general info, that would be great!!!!!!

Wakka wakka wakka™

These are concepts I did for the new Sony PSP fighting game "The Con." I have more, but I need to do some sketchbook and file digging to find em.

These are very old and done in great haste, but I'm curious to know what you think anyway.

Last edited by Ted; February 4th, 2006 at 03:46 PM.

I love the designs and the colors are fantastic.

I agree with the shoulderpad crit, that's one of the few things that bugs me about the second image. I also wish there was a bit more differentiation between textures from the steel sword to the shoulderpads to the skin, it would help bring these to a new level. You start to get it with the shoulderpads but you could push it further.

Still very cool stuff!

These rock my socks! Woot i say! You know what... TWO woots! WOOT WOOT! These kick my arse. Keep up the Awesomeness .

I'm Burning A Hole In Your Mind...

Criticism Encouraged

hey, ted, great to see you posting here

very cool work, the oni rockmysocks, but personally im not such a fan of the con guy, cowboy boots are a nice tough though

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

easy tiger! - Thanks for the compliment and critique. I agree on all that.
    Death - Thanks.
    Red_Rook - Guess what man...I'm going back to Amsterdam for Rembrant's 400th birthday. I'm fired up. It would be even better if there was another workshop there. Glad you like the oni. Yeh, "the con guy" should really be considered production art. Paintings done after I was shown around twenty-five other characters that were done in a style that I needed to use a certain technique to adapt to. Thanks for the reply. I saw that thunderdome piece you did...great job.

Here are a couple of drawings done to generate ideas of how I would approach this project. These were done before I was shown any other designer's progress. It was the best being asked to somewhat consider the days of Street Fighter II in my approach. I found these scanned images in my files, I guess I have to rescan the others and post em later.

Please let me know what you think.

Last edited by Ted; February 8th, 2006 at 08:42 PM.

the sketches to me seem so much more polished.
    the stomach muscles on the colored photos makes me cringe alittle, very odd looking.

really like the sketches alot though.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.