Help!?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help!?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Help!?

well i've been considering an art college for the past year or so. because i'm attending a community college doing basic education, and i absloutly hate it! I draw, however i think the biggest thing hindering my decsion would be i have no deriction when it comes to my art.

I've been heavily considering Graphic Design, cause theirs a big industry for the right now, and i love the idea of Illustrator...cause i could do anything from graphics for magazines to children novels.

I was looking at the art institute of fort lauderdale...cause its near were i live, only two hours away, i know people there, and i could live with my grandmother for the time being till i could get an appartment (because i refuse to stay in the dorms there.)

So i was looking for something in the state of florida preferablly.

i guess what i'm asking is for some opnions for some one who really doesnt have a clue about what to do or major in, but well...draws. i know i'd like the whole drawing aspect of it all...but i havent had an art class since my sophmore year of highschool and since then my view point on art has changed drastically...but it still doesnt tell me what i want to do.

yeah any pointers for any aspect of this would be appreciated...i'd love to know there were other people just as confused as me out there.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too many people use "Graphic Design" as a fall back art job because: #1 They suck at everything else, but kinda like art #2 They think it makes the most money in the art world #3 It's "easy."

That's bullshit.

Graphic Design is the most unendated major of the art world--everybody thinks they can strike it rich, there is a ton of competition and most of students are medicore. If Graphic Design is not your dream, just your "it's what's left" job, you will SUCK at it. Get into it because you love it, not because of one of the 3 points above. You have to work your ass off to make any money with all the competition, so you'd better enjoy it now.

If you like drawing, Graphic Design is also NOT FOR YOU. The major is mostly using OTHER people's work. Even when you're out of school it will be rare for you to be hired to do both illustration and GD. Normally it's one or the other.

If drawing is what you like, stick to Illustration. That's a platform for children's books, editorals, comics and cartoons, concept art, fine art, etc. etc. The only school I know of in FL of any reputation is Ringling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The advice I've picked up is stay the hell away from the Art Institutes. I'm not sure if you would be willing to spend the money or be in debt, but I think Ringling will be worth Everydollar. I myslef live just above Sarasota- And according to people who attend, it's worth every single dollar. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    err thanks for the info. i consider myself biased about ringling however. i neither can afford it, but i doubt i would ever step foot in that school. everyone i have ever known got kicked out of that school. it seems to me that if they dont like you they'll find any excuse to kick you out. call me biased or hypocritical but i dont want to be in an enviorment that money is what rules out the good in the bad...i already live in naples were everything is about money. i simply want to learn...i regret ever takeing basic art classes in high school seriously...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittywolf13
    err thanks for the info. i consider myself biased about ringling however. i neither can afford it, but i doubt i would ever step foot in that school. everyone i have ever known got kicked out of that school. it seems to me that if they dont like you they'll find any excuse to kick you out. call me biased or hypocritical but i dont want to be in an enviorment that money is what rules out the good in the bad...i already live in naples were everything is about money. i simply want to learn...i regret ever takeing basic art classes in high school seriously...
    Don't compare yourself to those other students so easily.

While I can understand you drawing those sort of conclusions because they're people "like you", ultimately it's going to be YOUR experience. You might actually fit in there- but it's a chance. It's one of those "you might have to try on a lot of shoes before you find the right fit".

I also understand the desire to find a good school for the money but also realize WHY a certain school might be expensive. You MIGHT be paying for that sort of quality as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Every school is about money. They're businesses, not charities.

I'm having difficulty translating your grammar...but if you don't like Ringling, you're out of options in a private FL art schools. AI schools are generally not accredited--this has been hashed out in other threads that you should check out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Graphic design can be a dog eat dog world... it's advertising. The number one reason why students fail in graphic design is because they can't handle the pressure of coming up with thousands of ideas. Most students don't like the idea of working up 20 different versions of the same product just to be told that they have to come up with 20 new ones.

Advertising can be brutal... it's the ones with all the ideas and the ability to continually come up with new ideas that succeed at it. It is not an easy job and it perhaps one of the most stressfull that you can get into. Did you ever see the movie Crazy People? It was a movie about an advertising guy who ends up losing his marbles due to stress and finds all sorts of creative ideas for new ads while in the looney bin. His coworkers think they are all hairbrained ideas, but the client and public just love them. A rather silly movie, but it does highlight the craziness of the adversting world.

To end up working at a place like TWBA\Chiat\Day you have to be on top of your game. Graphic design may be something as a simple print shop designer to something as big as the largest advertising agency in the world. The business is a huge one and encompasses a lot of specialties. Graphic design has always been the center of the advertising world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the info guys! that really gave me an insight i wasnt aware about in the graphic design world. i think i would like to be an illustrator...well i know i do...more then a graphic designer...by far. cause i never liked the whole. not drawing thing about grahpic designing...but yeah.

thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was a graphic design major that had the bulk of my electives in advertising. Funny thing is I work as an illustrator now. Looking back at it, I've found that all of those skills come into play. I love working in the fast paced environment of advertising. Chiat Day is an amazing company to work for among others- there are a ton of amazingly talented people who are designers and illustrators that work with ad agencies.

Advertising and graphic design is just another vein for you to stretch your skills to if you wish. Each profession has its own unique challenges so find the one you enjoy the most. If it was THAT easy, everyone would be doing it! So take that talent that you already have and find out what makes you tick- whether it be advertising, graphics, illustration or maybe even something totally away from this field.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.