Thanks

Budget for New Orleans Levees Cut for War

It appears that the money has been moved in the president’s budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that’s the price we pay. Nobody locally is happy that the levees can’t be finished, and we are doing everything we can to make the case that this is a security issue for us.

-- Walter Maestri, emergency management chief for Jefferson Parish, Louisiana; New Orleans Times-Picayune, June 8, 2004.
    Full Article

This is pretty unbelievable.

Another article on absurd spending

The war in Iraq may also play a role in the recovery and cleanup of the hurricane. Earlier this month the Louisiana National Guard publicly complained that too much of its equipment was in Iraq. The local ABC news affiliate reported dozens of high water vehicles, Humvees, refuelers and generators are now abroad.
    Bush plays guitar while Gulf Coast copes with worst disaster in years
    Original from Yahoo!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The president told us that we needed to fight in Iraq to save lives here at home, and yet -- after moving billions of domestic dollars to the Persian Gulf -- there are bodies floating through the streets of Louisiana. What does George W. Bush have to say for himself now?
    That paints a glum but seemingly all too accurate assessment of the situation.

Pretty sad when such great unaccountability and neglect such as this goes on unhindered right in front of the publics face.

My best wishes go out to the people of the South who have had to endure so much.
    Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

Thanks

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    what about every other president before him? there's more than one person to blame here
    polylover.com

Thanks
    It is pretty sad a system people have struggled to keep from being like past empires and governents,has ended up been governed by the few rather than the many who support it. I hope we can actually do something for the folks in the New Orleans and other states such Alabama and sadly it is not near from over the damage and more importantly the lives lost are still being counted.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    what about every other president before him? there's more than one person to blame here
    I'm not sure I follow. You mean those other presidents that, under false pretenses, manufactured a war in Iraq, the result being an astronomical dive in our economy and widespread squandering of our countries resources? Those bastards.

Thanks
    Turning this hurricane disaster into a political issue to advance any ideological agenda is just sleazy and oppurtunistic.

Thanks
    I don't know why the Bush adminstration just loves to make citizens of the devolping world hate america.

And I don't know why Tony Blair loves the way Bush handles stuff.

Edit:

A bit off topic... Sorry! lol

Thanks
    That's weird because typically states fund things like that, not federal reserves. So blame Thomas Jefferson for defending State rights if you wanna blame a president. Or, more accurately, blame the state of Louisiana.

I don't blame the federal government that I live next to the most dangerous highway in America, and hundreds of people die on it yearly. I blame California funding, or better yet, Cal Trans. Then, I actively go vote on state issues instead of sitting at home blaming a guy I've never met.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerD
    Turning this hurricane disaster into a political issue to advance any ideological agenda is just sleazy and oppurtunistic.
    its still the truth, either way..

Thanks
    It's not as if something like this wasn't coming. My soccer coach is in the Army Reserves and mentioned a year ago that there would be a problem should a national crisis occur such as a massive wildfire, earthquake, or hurricane because we wouldn't have the man power or resources we normally would to combat it. Sucks that he knew what he was talking about.

Thanks

Now I really Hate the Fed GOV'T

Now I'm really pissed. Our federal gov't is soooo fucking incompitent, beurocratic, and abusive. It has been 5 days since Katrina hit and people are dying from dehydration, violence and neglect. When are Amercians going to realize that our Fed gov't just taxes us to DEATH, and gives us nothing but broken promises, false ideologies and false-senses of safety. People are dying right NOW. Doesn't FEMA know that the human body cannot live longer than 3 DAYS WITHOUT WATER?!!!!

It is taking the AMERICAN PEOPLE to come together, to volunteer, donate and rescue the poor people of New Orleans. There are patients dying in hospitals, only now to be rescued by out of state medi-vac choppers. THERE ARE NO MILITARY medivacs, doctors, or engineers on site. The governor of Luisiana has been pleading for 5 DAYS for help!

If I hear one more ignorant comment from Bush regarding tis disaster .....
    I say the states in this country should seriously consider succeeding(sp?) or REFORMING this so called union.

I'm so fed up with how USELESS our Federal gov't is.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    People DYING is hardly politics. Considering there are people whose JOB it is to protect our citizens, they are to take the blame when needed funds are directed else ware, especially after consistent warning. When the hell do we start blaming the people at the helm? How many times to we have to be punched in the face before we do something about it?

Just google the issue. You'll see the millions that were funneled to Iraq in lieu of the fact that states such as LA desperately needed to reinforce its infrastructure. LA state asked for $30 million in 2004 I think, they got 10.

Regardless of ideology, it’s fucking numbers, look at it.

The situation is being handled atrociously. There are pregnant girls on the street on park benches, people are dying and thirsty and wading through water filled with waste and petroleum. There is a SHOOT TO KILL order for looters issued by the National Guard in New Orleans. Regardless of where you stand the situation is clear. The point is that the federal government dropped the ball. This was a catastrophe, but didn't need to be felt this hard. This was seen far, far in advance. FEMA gauged right after 9/11 that another probable disaster was likely to affect New Orleans. Such a disaster was foreseen as far back as 2001 by writers in Scientific American. Let’s also not forget the ridiculous amount of environmental neglect that has been allowed to transpire along the gulf coast which has made the situation multiply in danger. It would have taken 14 billion dollars to rebuild the barrier islands and shore up New Orleans' defenses. That’s a fucking drop in the bucket in terms of what this government spends in a year in military spending alone. We can decimate an entire country, pour billions and billions and billions of dollars into rebuilding our own mess a half a world away, but we can't provide for the most desperate and vulnerable in our nation when disaster strikes. Do you realize how high the poverty rate in this nation currently is? It jumped 40% in a YEAR to 10.4 percent. That is a crime in a nation this rich. We can’t afford to repair our roads, fix our bridges, and reinforce our levees. Where the fuck does that leave us? So now we're fighting a war on two fronts. We're wasting a billion or more dollars a month on the war in a country that could collapse into an Islamic state, and now fighting the ravages of a natural disaster that will affect the economic balance in this country on a national level.

Now there’s unrest at the Houston Astrodome... where people are being turned away...

I can't fucking take this. I saw 9/11 in front of my own fucking eyes, on my own streets. This blows me away.

Quote Originally Posted by magicgoo
    That's weird because typically states fund things like that, not federal reserves. So blame Thomas Jefferson for defending State rights if you wanna blame a president. Or, more accurately, blame the state of Louisiana.

I don't blame the federal government that I live next to the most dangerous highway in America, and hundreds of people die on it yearly. I blame California funding, or better yet, Cal Trans. Then, I actively go vote on state issues instead of sitting at home blaming a guy I've never met.
    You know that States normally get a whooole lot of funding from the federal government right? Like those little interstates we live right near. The 210 right near me? Yeah those are federal highway interstate systems. A lot of repair funds come from Uncle Sam.

If there was no federal funding for states you'd have virtually no response ability for disasters like this. And its not a states rights issue, its a federal funding issue, because this is a United States of America, not a Seperate Federated States of America. We have a central government for issues just like this. If such disasters were left to the states, there would simply be no mechanisms to cope. Plus the more disaster prone states would go bankrupt.
    Last edited by Helium Macaroni; September 2nd, 2005 at 05:29 AM.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Well, not much we can do about it now, I suppose unless it's to consider some type of permanent relocation for the folks from those areas. Anyone joining the American Red Cross, Americorps, Salvation Army, or some other organization that's helping with the disaster relief effort?