Den VS Jair! = COLLEGE FRESHMANS!!!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: which CCAD freshman?!

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Denart

23 46.00%
  • Jair428

27 54.00%
    Thanks

Den VS Jair! = COLLEGE FRESHMANS!!!

So me and Jair are both attending CCAD now and they forced us to create these self portraits so we can 'connect' with the other students...right

JAIR:
    I finished mine two and a half weeks prior to the due date (unlike denart)... i did the initial portrait from life... the picture was a little small for my taste but... so i took advantage of the "be as creative as you want" line... so it became a doodle page for the week... on the right are my favorite mediums all from life... above that is some stuff from imagination and the rest is imagination... i put in some things or symbols that define the sources of my inspiration... (abandoned buildings, spiders, broken glass, graveyards... etc.)...

DENART:

I finished mine the night I arrived. All my other self portraits were all dark and depressed Time for a little change! (and also because there's too many emo posers at college)

I went for a grayed out look by first covering the entire paper with willow charcoal and then used 2H and HB. heheh

Done with a mirror with Jair behind on my bed, sketching something, making me nervous...

EDIT: oh yeah, we would love some crits!

Last edited by Denart; June 6th, 2006 at 12:07 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    lookin good guys.

My vote went to Denart. I feel that it technically was more thorougly executed portrait. Though, it lacks highlights, but has good anatomy and porportions.

I also like the other one because of the creativity and symbolic representational objects. There was more thought and effort but into it.

But being a lover of traditionaly representational art, I voted for Denart.

Thanks
    i debated with a team of judges for 3 hours to finally decide that i pick........ eh........jair. den im proud of you.

Thanks
    salutes both of you. den shulda put some highlights in there to make it pop. jair 's is maad cluttered to i dig the thought and time put into it, it mighta been sexier if it was a vignette.

i did my sp in orientation, lol

Thanks
    TIE! thanks for the votes guys

I actually used chalk pastels to increase the highlight value on the nose and glasses. a bit on the lips but it just did not look 'right' because the other values (greys and darks) aren't that dark to begin with. It wasn't harmonious no more! So I decresed the highlight.

I was trying something new by going for a washed-out effect after all!
    Willow charcoal and 2H gets you that

Thanks
    yo Denart! I think the washed-out look is competing with the rough/scratchy rendering on the face. Careful with that. Also I woulda used a kneaded eraser to pull out any lights since white pastels usually look like crap on a toned surface like this (because of the different color temperatures). The kneaded eraser avoids that problem nicely! YAY!

That said, it looks better than the one I did my freshman year. I'd show it, but for all I know it could be in a landfill right now.

Jair, I usually frown on the heavy-handed "expressive" pieces that we all learn to do in high school, but I like yours so it's all good. You'll both do well if you just work harder and smarter than everyone else while finding time to take in plenty of inspiring life you can put back into your art. Good luck with CCAD, and in about 5 weeks you should be hurting from the workload. Have fun!

Andrew Murray
    Concept Artist, Tencent Boston
    www.theincredibleandy.com

Thanks
    voted for Denart's

Thanks
    Nice. As always JAIR does some freaky rendering that makes me go wookobooko.
    But when I just looked at the faces I kinda fell for Dens sp.
    I second what theincredibleandy said about kneaded eraser. Try it next time.

kick ass and chew bubblegum!

hugS!

Thanks

hmmmmm...

thanx all for the comments and votes and LOVE!!!

---klid--- thanx for that crit... maad clutter thats very true i kinda went a little too far and drove up the crazy rendering and forgeting about flow and focal point .......next time it'll be diferent! ....when are we gunna have a sketch night!?!

modern and pencilator thanx for the great comments!

....the perameters of this challenge was a bit vague next time will be more descriptive... next time...

=peace

"we are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit"
    -Aristotle

my OLD sketchs urban Exploration SITE!
    my BLOG

Thanks
    hard decision but i went for jair because i feel like he put more effort into this one. both pieces are good, and i like the style and looseness of dan's portrait more than that of jair - but oh well, i had to decide

Thanks
    it's Den!

Heheh.
    Thanks for participating in our thunderdome guys! Thanks for the votes *hugs*

I should've spent more time on mine...

TheIncredibleAndy - you make so much sense. I'm learning, I'm learning--Soft pencil strokes goes with soft values, harsh pencil work goes with "harsh" values. and yeah, I agree the conte charcoal is much more cooler in temperature than the graphite. thanks

Thanks
    I found this very hard to vote for, but in the end I voted for denarts piece. Although it could use more contrast, I like the pose (just out of bed? ) and the feeling/looselessnes. Jair's is a bit to stiff I think, but also a very nice piece, esp on the background part.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.