Art: My Oil Paintings from start to finish.

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Oil Paintings from start to finish.

Hello.

I'm one of those avid lurkers that smells like aftershave.

I wish to dedicate this thread to the various paintings I am working on, but for the moment I would like to direct your attention to one of my most recent pieces.

Thanks...

Here is the latest update:

Click on the image for a higher resolution.

Specs:
    Title: "His ordeal"
    Size: 18 x 24"
    Canvas: A regular gessoed canvas.
    Brushes: Filbert, Flat, and Round which is a mix of Bristol and synthetic Sable. I used a wide range of sizes for experimentation and I enjoyed using the smaller sizes for the skin tones. I would like to get a Fan brush to begin to layer on the trees, hills, and the houses.

Click here for my complete progress throughout this painting.

When I began this painting it was originally going to be for someone, but at my third session working on this I left it alone for complicated reasons. During the time when I left this piece alone I was taking a Figure Drawing I course at a local community college to learn and refine my drawing skills. It wasn't until a week after I finished the course did I return back to this painting so I may work on it again.

I spent a lot of time being frustrated at myself, because I didn't properly lay out a solid foundation since I only added two different colors of glazes under my preliminary sketch. Afterwards, I spent the majority of my time reworking the structure, form, and well just the entire anatomy of the figure. It wasn't until I became entirely frustrated that I was pushed to experiment with my piece.

Now as you've noticed in my latest screenshot I have slowly added light glazes to the skin tone once more so I can see what is there left to salvage I before move on to work on another piece to attempt the Flemish technique (seven layer approach).

Phew, so that is my epic speech for this evening. I would like to welcome with open arms to any type of criticism you wish to throw at me.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There was something in this image that reminded me a bit of a Dali painting, "Soft Construction With Boiled Beans." Not the subject matter of course, but the forms. Here's an example:
    http://www.artsnotdead.com/posters/daliboiledbean.html

The form you're creating is very similar to me, especially in the arms, but what makes the Dali visually more interesting is how he handles the contrasts and blending of the forms and shapes he creates. I don't want to suggest you make this look exactly the same, but it's worth studying.

-David

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dbclemons
    The form you're creating is very similar to me, especially in the arms, but what makes the Dali visually more interesting is how he handles the contrasts and blending of the forms and shapes he creates. I don't want to suggest you make this look exactly the same, but it's worth studying.
    I must admit the expressionism (or is it abstract?) is really distracting for me while studying the composition, form, and the colors of his piece.

However, the use of the colors is dead on for Dali's piece. I don't see any colors fighting against each other, but rather mutally complimenting each other. And with the addition of the forms constructed in that particular manner along it's composition adds a great deal of balance and a sense of depth for me.

Blah, but anyway I'll continue to look at his painting, along with a few others to get a better understanding. I appreciate the link and the feedback.

In the meantime, here is another update:

Taken without flash.

Taken with flash.

Members who have read this thread: 1