Thanks

Unhappy Tried my first painting tonight following a Bob Ross video...

I was doomed from the beginning. Something went wrong and I am assuming it was because I put on too much liquid white to prepare the canvas for his wet on wet approach. I couldnt seem to blend anything because it would really smear around quite a bit.

Can anyone tell me what kind of consistency I am looking for when applying that base coat of liquid white?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hey, at least it's not a following-along-with-John-Sarget painting video

eerrmmm... as for your problem... I guess just use a mixture of 2:1, turpentine:linseed oil, to loosen up the oil paint and give it that buttery feel.

Good luck. Oil painting ain't easy.

EDIT: I usually just by the pre-stretched white canvas. So I don't ever prime it. Haven't got a clue about that.
    Last edited by CaptainInsano; August 30th, 2005 at 01:34 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsocn
    I was doomed from the beginning. Something went wrong and I am assuming it was because I put on too much liquid white to prepare the canvas for his wet on wet approach. I couldnt seem to blend anything because it would really smear around quite a bit.

Can anyone tell me what kind of consistency I am looking for when applying that base coat of liquid white?
    A thin, even coat. Don't slop it on so that it obscured the canvas weave. Keep brushing it out, horizontally and vertically, repeatedly wiping your brush clean as you go. You want just enough on the canvas to lubricate it.

Be aware that the primary value of "TV art" is to get your feet wet and introduce you to the very basics of paint handling. Don't get too wrapped up in it, or all you'll learn is how to paint like Bob Ross.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanks for the help, guys. I will tone it down a bit next time I try it which will hopefully be tonight. I also discovered last night that my pallette was way too small. I found it hard to try and blend the paint because all my colors started running into each other. I am going to try to craft a little beater bucket tonight so I have something to beat my brushes on after cleaning them.

So I discovered last night that painting was a lot harder than it looks and it is also a lot more fun.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    you know who had some good painting videos was Burt Silverman.

I see that Syd Mead has some DVDs, anybody seen them? I'm thinking of ordering one.

Thanks

syd

ive got the syd dvds. its been a loong time since ive watched them though.

i dont have the time to write 4 whole reviews here (gotta start working!) but out of the top of my head these are my comments though (remember its been awhile that ive seen them):

i bought all of them because i just wanted to see this living legend going at it from beginning till end. and that also basically exactly what they deliver. not so much a 'you should this, then this' but more a looking over the shoulder and hearing the mans thoughts.

no1: basically no1 was great design class. it goes a lot further than 'i like this one'. thinking of a certtain world and culture as a storybase/context for a vehicle. sketching thumbnails and alternative views etc.

no2: same. but learning value sketching and convincing yourself with alternative sketches before you commit. also scanning and comping with photoshop for that final final line drawing.

no3: color test. basically the 'finally finished!' piece for the rest of us but for syd its a color sketch. transfering lines with carbon sheet, preparation of mixes and basically doing a practice run for the painting. again testing and convincing yourself before commiting to large scale full detailed painting of..

no4: doing the same as no3 but more detailed more elaborate, longer. supertight slick final painting.

im really happy with these. but like with almost all gnomon dvds that ive seen, i find them quite slow. i dont know how much you will get out of it technique wise, theres obviously a lot in there but i mean it it depends on your current skillset or interest..

for me the best were 2 and 3. then 1, then 4.
    its really good to see the whole process and how he advances to the next level everytime with certain problems solved and decisions and preparations made.

if you have particular questions feel free to ask in a pm or mail or here or whatever.

hope that helped.
    i got to get cracking.

tensai
    Last edited by tensai; August 30th, 2005 at 09:31 PM. Reason: add info

Thanks
    I agree with Dave - I've seen the one with the young girl (he starts with a sketch in that one) - I wish I owned that. It's really cool to watch such an experienced guy paint...Burt Silverman is definetly worth checking out.
    I know Richard Schmid sells instructional videos as well, but haven't seen any. So does David Leiffel - who I like very much...I should check those out too - and so should you!
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*