bad Thunderdome decision

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Landmate Guest

bad Thunderdome decision

bad... we dont want to do fan art, we want to do original art... what the hell

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um dude, I think you can do your own. but you can also do fanart. i donno though, I may be wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im pretty opposed to fan art. look to others for inspiration and look at their tech. and style. copying is good for learning but posting it up as fan art is kinda dumb.someone already did it...and probably better than you. if it is inspirational art that is influenced by an artist that is cool...but jsut fan art to mimic...lame as hell..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually i think its a fantastic idea.. being that this is primarily a collective of professional concept artists and illustrators this is a very useful exercise and an applickable challange that ive had to face several times in my career. redesign an existing character.. ive been asked to do this several times,, or even completely redesign characters that ive designed myself.
    its not fan art,, its a challenge to take a character you consider "Good" and make it "better".
    its not something you airbrush on the back of your lowrider,, its an artistic exercise.

im excited.

-Lono

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agree with LONO as usual---the key factor here being DESIGN

MY SITE
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also agree with lono. I think it's a good idea, and good exercise. I'm pysched. I have yet to enter a thunderdome and hopefully I'll have time to enter this one.

stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also agree with Lono. The new thunderdome is a floor wax and a desert topping!

There was much rejoicing in the realm of the Harvest Gods when man created the beer, light could not penetrate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree with you guys..

-Lono

Landmate Guest
    i see. well its not very fun for me, I like creating original characters, but thats just me, have fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Landmate
    i see. well its not very fun for me, I like creating original characters, but thats just me, have fun.
    You seem to be ignoring what people are saying and are acting terribly stuborn.

Landmate Guest
    um

I said I see(I understand), and I said that I prefer making new characters(from scratch, aka original).

I understand that you guys like to take existing characters and add new spins on them or make them better. Sure you do this in the industry, yah ok. I, however, would like to see original designs from the talent here, thats just my opinion

is having an opinion = stubborn ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Landmate, I smell what youre steppin in. I'd still like to see your stuff.

I think this will be a tough competition, because the trick is to not look like fan art.

There was much rejoicing in the realm of the Harvest Gods when man created the beer, light could not penetrate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope you enter anyways....

think of it like this.... one day you may have a job that requires you to revamp an older character.... hence all the 80's come backs.... though Transformers Armada can go to hell. Beast Wars owns!

-Joshua

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was talking about the fan art. i dont consider t 3 stuff fan art. when im saying like copying a artist and calling it your own work. i copy artists...but i do it in my sketchbook and note that it is a copy of the artist. usually it is master figure study but occasionally if i find a new artist who rocks i do the same. the thunderdome is a good idea. i dont consider that fan art. i agree with lono. if you are re designing it or improving it and your a pro....im talking about kiddie fan art instead of improving a character. the thunderdome is a great way do hone your skills. but i am oposed to copying one single piece of art the exact same way....hope this clears things up.

Last edited by Crunch; April 1st, 2003 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all nothing is original. You think bobafet was the first sci-fi bounty hunter? This contest will let you REDESIGN completely from scratch a character you think was poorly designed, or EMBELISH one you love. You don't have too copy an exhisting character, in fact, if you do, you probably will not win.
    Just remmemer that no idea is original, if you think of somthing, trust me; someone has already thought of it too.
    So pick a character, and re-invent them...this is one of the most creative and challenging contests so far.:chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Landmate: sorry, im gonna go agead and repeat what these guys have already said..

heres my perspective,,, you CAN design a character from scratch basically,, because i dont think anyone has put a limit on the ammount you can stray from the origional character.
    for instance,,, if you decided to redesign Rictor Belmont from Castlevania,,,, if you wanted to, you could decide that Rictor would be a lot cooler if he were a kangaroo,, and if you thought the whip was too cliche you could have him weild a Butterfinger.. i dont really think anyone is gonna consider that "Cooler" but you get my point?

-Lono

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just because everyone is agreeing with lono, i'm gonna side with landmate [i'm not a big fan of everyone versus one guy. lets make this more of an even fight]. plus i rather not be designing characters [i suck at them because i chose to be schooled in the art of designing toasters]. and for argument's sake, how many of these are going to be a re-explorations of what the character is about rather than a knee-jerk "i did that cause it's cool" or "its in my style, now it's original?"

plus i rather do my own thing now, later on when i hopefully have a job, ten i'll have to live with doing whats dictated to me.

*prepares to be burnt alive*

Last edited by seb; April 2nd, 2003 at 10:08 PM.
    "Nous sommes desoles que notre president soit un idiot. Nous n’avons pas vote pour lui."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not that great of an artist, but re-designing a character sounds really cool to me.

Can anyone participate in the Thunderdome, or are there certain qualifications that must be met?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I agree. I dont like fan art a whole lot. But this is different. Its not making your own copy of a character, you jstu take the idea and create a new one outof that simple idea.

I want to enter it, or at least do a nice drawing even if it doesnt get entered (I dont think I haev the skill to color it, so I probably ownt be able to enter)

I just need to think of a character..

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.