Sketchbook: Sve's Book (April 03 2008, Baroque, digitals, life studies)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sve's Book (April 03 2008, Baroque, digitals, life studies)

Hello! I would love to hear from such inspiring artists. Knock three times on the ceiling if you like me, twice on the pipe if the answer is no.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sve; April 3rd, 2008 at 03:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Part two

mixed media

The last from a reference

Last edited by sve; July 13th, 2007 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your style reminds me of Vilppu.
    http://www.vilppustudio.com/quicksketch.htm

I've even seen people that draw simliar to you make a living doing animation.

However, I still think learning construction and anatomy is important.
    http://www.dhfa.net/Artiststatement.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much. Surprised to hear I have some style. Totally agree I need to study a human anatomy.Thanks for links I'll be looking at them very carefully. Already started.
    Sveta.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you have a nice developing style here, but there are some parts you could work on. I noticed the loose style in your figure drawings, however, I think you should be more economical and careful. That looseness and quick thinking can sometimes make apparent mistakes. Now that last drawing is a really good example of a more thoughtful approach! Combine that with your loose style and your work will definitely improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I'm very grateful you looked at my thread and took your time to comment. If it's not too much trouble for you I would be very obliged to read more detailed analysis of my mistakes.
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sve
    Thank you! I'm very grateful you looked at my thread and took your time to comment. If it's not too much trouble for you I would be very obliged to read more detailed analysis of my mistakes.
    Sveta
    1st drawing: haphazard strokes, the back is not done well( study anatomy), the head's shape looks wrong( study planes, anatomy of head)

2nd : his right shoulder feels too long.

3rd: study planes and anatomy of head, that raised forearm looks carelessly done.

4th: breast placed too low( not sure), the neck looks too long( not sure either)

5th: study the back, again be more thoughtful of your approach.

6th: good drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much, patdzon! You are very kind to give me your thoughtful reply. I need to think about it. I'm going to look at drawings and your comments more.
    Looked at your drawings at your profile. Started to understand better what you meant about an economic approach. Love the drawing of a sleeping child: so peaceful.
    Regards, Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much, patdzon! You are very kind to give me your thoughtful reply. I need to think about it. I'm going to look at drawings and your comments more.
    Looked at your drawings at your profile. Started to understand better what you meant about an economic approach. Love the drawing of a sleeping child: so peaceful.
    Regards, Sveta
    no problem! Glad I could help.

I just wanna give one small advice. Whenever you're working from life, try to look for the lines and its angles especially when it concerns the contour/outline of your subject. Also, look for the biggest shadow shapes you see, and map that out on your drawing. cuz even if you dont know anatomy( im not discouraging you to study it. it still is valuable info), as long as you pay attention to what you observe, you can produce a good piece. And remember to work from the general to the specific!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good Morning, patdzon! Thank you again for your kindness! I hope God give your A+ and the best karma for your good deed .
    Reread your comments and am thinking about them. I see what you meant but still struggling with a comment to 3rd drawing (about his head shape). Is it too flat? Wrong shape? Too cut from the right?
    Of course you are so right about not to rush to details from the beginning. Wish i could've controlled myself better. I wish I would've been more relaxed when I draw. I'm always in a hurry.
    Regards, Sveta.

Last edited by sve; August 31st, 2005 at 12:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good Morning, patdzon! Thank you again for your kindness! I hope God give your A+ and the best karma for your good deed .
    Reread your comments and am thinking about them. I see what you meant but still struggling with a comment to 3rd drawing (about his head shape). Is it too flat? Wrong shape? Too cut from the right?
    Of course you are so right about not to rush to details from the beginning. Wish i could've control myself better. I wish I would've been more relaxed when i draw. I'm always in hurry.
    Regards, Sveta.
    Yes, its impt to take your time and not be in a hurry. ALways remind yourself. I sometimes forget myself.

I just think the main thing wrong with his face is the drawing itself. Meaning, it could be far off from what he actually looks like.

I'll be looking forward to your next batch!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice set of drawings...what i like is the feeling of weight and flesh....also the gestures are pretty good..how long are these poses?..they are good for short time...patzon pointed out good things to look out for..i notice you did not finish your hands or feet.....maybe you wanted to sugest or you are not still confortable with them hehe..sometimes on the poses..just draw the head..for practice..or the hands or feet..try your own hands...and like they say just keep studying your anatomy..i dont know i you read the loomis books on figure drawing ..but they are of great help..especially in technique and construction..and things too look for when drawing the figure...

http://www.saveloomis.org/

I think your linework would need a bit of improvement..although is good for loose..loose is good..sometimes..practice pure contour drawing..you can do it thru the week on common objects you see..then try the figure..dont go to heavy on linework (on some drawings you have done good..on others the line is not varied)..be sensible..lose the line on light..dark in it where is dark...see if you can read your drawing without adding tone..
    keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you the_allejo05 for such a detailed reply. I appreciated it a lot. You people amazed me. I was stupid to think the most artists are too egocentric (as they should be -so I thought ). On a contrary, you are so kind to strangers. You are right about hands and feet: still uncomfortable with them he-he. Thank you for telling me. I'll dig in this direction. Hopefully someday it pays off. I will read your notes again and again. Thank you
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forgot to tell. They are 30-45 minutes
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketches. Some from photos on Internet, some from my mind :

Last edited by sve; April 18th, 2007 at 01:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Despite all the points that patzdon made, and I agree, so there's no point in going there, I really like what I see here. The sketches are nice, too. keep up the good work, very inspiring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you madplanet for your kind words. But actually I'd prefer for you to 'go in there'. Knowing my weak sides makes me stronger. Although I totally understand if you are not going to. There are more interesting things to do .
    Regards, Sveta

Last edited by sve; September 15th, 2005 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I would definitly 'go there' if I had anything to add to what was already said. Whatever thoughts I had were covered and then a heck of a lot more. I'm just not that observant, I guess. I'm sorry that I could not have been more of a help. I'll get better.

And if I wasn't interested, I wouldn't have posted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you. I appreciated it.
    Best luck to you, Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figure studies:

Last edited by sve; April 18th, 2007 at 01:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Part2

Last edited by sve; April 18th, 2007 at 01:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Part3

Last edited by sve; April 18th, 2007 at 01:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Part4
    Sve's Book  (April 03 2008,  Baroque, digitals, life studies) Sve's Book  (April 03 2008,  Baroque, digitals, life studies)
    Sve's Book  (April 03 2008,  Baroque, digitals, life studies)
    Sve's Book  (April 03 2008,  Baroque, digitals, life studies)

Last edited by sve; September 7th, 2005 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, hopefully I can help you out this time. First off, I like your style. Your figures have a nice fluidity to them. Good stuff.

Now, on to what I've seen:

Pt. 1: the top one, the head seems to be too small for the body, as a matter of fact, a lot of your figures seem that way. The left arm doesn't lay right on the body, I think that the elbow that can't be seen, is too high in the arm.

Pt 2: Your figures seem to be elongated, stretched out. Was this intentional, because they do look good this way, very stylized.

Pt3: On the bottom figure, the right leg, everything from the knee to the foot is too small.

So, there! I hope that I was helpful. If not... I know, know...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, madplanet for words of encouragement. Yes, looks like you are right, didn't notice this before. Part1 the top figure probably needs a different angle for this arm. Agree, bodies are looked stretched, although they (the models) all had beautiful long legged figures. Still thinking about last one. Strange didn't see that on the paper in a big size. Thank you again for your help. I needed it.
    Regards, Sveta

Last edited by sve; September 7th, 2005 at 01:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Sveta! Another good set you have here! ANyway, on to the crits.

One of the similarities I find in your drawings seems to be errors in proportion. I advise you to do occasional measuring by holding your pencil right in front of the model with your arm straight. ALso, always draw your subject the same size as you see it. You can always do comparative measuring but that takes a lot of time, and dont expect it to end up accurate cuz you also need to do some corrections using your eye. This kind of measuring is much more suited for long term work. And, remember to fit your subject on the paper( which you do real good BTW). Other stuff you could be more aware is rhythms on the body. THis is a bit hard to explain for me without aid of visual examples, but a good way of finding this is to figure out the "line of action/gesture" of the model. After that, look for "S shaped" rhythms all throughout the body. But, try to think of the major/bigger forms first for the overall gesture. These "S shaped" patterns go "in and out" of the body. For example, let's start at the left side of the hip area of a female model, by using an imaginative starting point, this would extend as a line towards the "inner" area at about the right side of the knee. And then that line goes "out" to about the left side of the calf region, and "in" towards the left ankle bone. SO it alternates to form an imaginative "S shaped" rhythm. Did you get that? hehe. This helps you be more aware of the forms and shapes, and in turn, could help improve your line quality by being more confident.

Im done with this crit for now hehe maybe later! BTW, follow the lines with your eye, then do accordingly with your pencil!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, patdzon. I'll try for future your advice about drawing in certain size. Although I'm planning to go back to draw apples and pears literally. S shapes. I read about this term before, but didn't quite get. My guess you are talking about a curveness of an outline. Meaning an outline of the leg (for example) lacks some information, lines are too straight...I'll think about. Thank you again. And feel welcome to say more.
    Regards, Sveta

Last edited by sve; September 7th, 2005 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, patdzon. I'll try for future your advice about drawing in certain size. Although I'm planning to go back to draw apples and pears literally. S shapes. I read about this term before, but didn't quite get. I guess you talking about curveness of a outline. Meaning an outline of the leg (for example) lacks some information, lines are too straight...I'll think about. Thank you again. And feel welcome to say more.
    Regards, Sveta
    I wsnt really referring to the outlines, but those S shape patterns have a lot to do with it. Look for it within the body. Its just imaginative, the same as the "line of action", which is also seen inside the contour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What are the reasons of these S-lines? A roundness of our muscles? Or our way to move?
    Sveta

Last edited by sve; September 7th, 2005 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What are the reasons of these S-lines? A roundness of our muscles? Or our way to move?
    Sveta
    As I've mentioned before, that's just completely imaginative, so it has nothing to do with anatomy. This will just help you see the gesture and rhythm of the human body.

go to this link and youll see what I mean. http://photobucket.com/albums/v735/p...Untitled-1.jpg

The green lines that are curved are the "S patterns" that go "in" and "out" within the body. That long red line is the "line of action".

Again, this is just a common technique amongst artists working with the figure, for seeing the rhythms and gesture.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3