Mythic
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mythic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mythic

Hi all!

I've lately inversted in a wacom and so i've finally been able to 'go digital'.

I'd really appreciate feedback, esp about the lighting. colour etc.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy shit, good work man, for first time going digital.
    iv been trying to go digital with my new wacom for a while now, but i never really got as good as u.
    i shud probably stop using open canvas, and use a real tool like photoshop.

great facial design, really love the main eyeball and little yellow eyes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks good for a first but i think its pretty desaturated looking and monotone! it needs richer value contrast! keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks!

stalsby: I tried adding a bit more contrast a while ago but it didn't seem to suit the enviroment. I'll give it another shot and se how it turns out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting. Got a name for this beastie???

Banner Art, courtesy of Mike Phillips.
    http://www.mikephillips.ca/

My Website
    http://e-nexusone.com/
    Where Entertainment and Enlightenment meet.

The Voodoo Brothers
    http://www.thevoodoobrothers.com/

Blues/Psychedlic rock at its best.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No name really, but the face had a bit of a lovecraft influence.....Cthulhu-ish so if i do name him, it'll probably be something along those lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooh...good work! Excellent shading and stuff! Kinda freaks me out, wouldn't want to meet that on a dark night...

Haven't I talked to you before?

I may not be as good as you at art, but I can stare at you 'til your head explodes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mull77
    stalsby: I tried adding a bit more contrast a while ago but it didn't seem to suit the enviroment. I'll give it another shot and se how it turns out.
    Nice piece, but stalsby is definitely correct. The lack of value contrast in the whole thing seems to be a problem to me. You could use it as an opportunity to get more skin detail and texture into the body.

Cool creature though! I like the head shape, but I sorta wish those mouth tentacles didn't look so static.

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I put this pic through its paces in Photoshop. I tweaked curves, channels, contrasts, blending modes (2 and 3 layers deep), and when I got one pretty much to look "right," I turned it off, just to find it looked almost exactly like what you've posted...You're right about what you are trying to create.

What hurts this piece is the poor blending. You've painted a lot of this in thin opacity layers for variations in tonality, but have skipped corners. By not painting in your color underlayer of the creature, you've created a great deal more work, as that color will now have to be time-consumingly painted in as detail... As is, it looks like the unfinished rock face, which is fairly large, so it can be painted quickly. Simple color blocking would have helped you a lot.

The light source reflections are too loose and sloppy for a good read. Again, partly bad blending, partly lack of detail. Some WIPs show this more than others. It is a often a later part of the process. Just "the nature of the beast..."

Basically, this is a good piece, a good Concept, but a bad workflow, now leaving you with a lot of detailing. I'd call it done, and change the way you start painting, so as to save yourself the agony of lots of clean-up. Come back to the character, though...The adventures of TendrilMouth!

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im feeling the weirdness here. cosmic horrors, and possibly a good concept peice for an early 1960s sci fi. creature of the black lagoon meets the sticky green abomination from the stars. work on his features a bit more, and perhaps his left foot, which seems a little steep for the way hes standing and waht we see of his other foot.

Woodruff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys!

Wolfess: Sure have...new media colouring book. The second one you poosted was much better that the first. Keep improving dude!

Tully: The enviroment he is in is supposed to be a ancirent mountain top....quite misty. More contrast may have made him stand out a bit more, but in my opinion it would have detached him from the background. I know what you mean about the tentacles though. I wasn't sure when i drew it if they were gonna be tuskd or tentacles.

Madster: Hey, my first Madster crit! Yeh, i hold my hands up when i comes to the workflow. This piece was basically a test of my tablet and i'm still a novice when it comes to colouring / hue / lighting. I basaically tried to use Prometheus's tutorials with regard to brush size/opacity, but i'm obviously a long way of having his sort of skills.

Azeira: Cheers amn, he does look a little b-movie-ish. 'The tentacle who loved me'.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.