Sketchbook: Van's Repository [9.15] Digital Process of The Witch posted.

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Red face Van's Repository [9.15] Digital Process of The Witch posted.

So, if you want to see some of my horrible, older work. Go here:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12191

The thread is dead. I don't think folks are getting past the first page. But, if anyone new guys want some inspiration it is definitely good for that.

Some older work that I actually like. Stealing it from my old thread.

All right...enough of the blast from the past.

So, I have been doing nothing but painting in oils and drawing for the past year it seems. That was why I left here...I apologize for bailing on you guys.

I can't wait to start going through the sketchbook threads and catching up with you guys. I missed ya.

Last edited by van; September 15th, 2006 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Updated!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Good to see you back here man! Great start to your new SB.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Groover McNab
    Good to see you back here man! Great start to your new SB.
    Groover, my man...thanks for the welcome back. I am going to finish that one in the morning. Unless I decide its as finished as its gonna be in the morning.

Btw, folks. I am not concept type artist and I never really want to be one. I just love hanging out here. I am going to pursue selling my art in galleries or on the side of the road, but that's about it.

Thanks
    Welcome back! I'm with you all the way on your concept beliefs

Take a look at greatness
    SSG#10 is your party host
    I'm the standard of greatness and I'm your new hero, baby~

Thanks
    VAN!!! Welcome back, man!! Good to "see" ya

Good light on the portrait of you wife!

Looking forward to seeing your oils 'n stuff as well.

peace

d-C

Thanks
    this IS a great start. awesome work has come from you and I hope that you will stay here once again, kick out some awesome digital, keep it up...

Thanks

Seating Chart

Van ::::: been a while > good to see you back > solid start > good structure and form > would soften and edge or two on the nose and cheek > thanks for your feedback

Thanks
    Very nice dude - hope to see more!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teigrob
    Very nice dude - hope to see more!
    Thanks, man. Here is a speedy...I might finish it. I will scan in some sketchbooks pages soon....promise.

Last edited by van; September 1st, 2005 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks
    Hey Van

Great to see the new thread

Now 90% of what I say doesn't come out the way I intended and although I like this new stuff I think you could make it a lot more punchy like honing the details on some focal point or adding warm or cool colours to add VARIETY to these pieces (it is the spice of life). I spent a lot of time going for likeness with my work but now I realise it's more a matter of representing something with a delicious taste.

I think it was rembrandt who said there are no bad subjects just badly represented ones or something like that. I think what I am trying to say is that after you have looked at the model ask yourself what do I love about this piece and where can I improve to make it awesome.

You got all the shit and I can't wait to see more as you are putting it together.

I love your work and you inspire me

I just noticed that with the portrait of your better half that top of the head is a bit low (the browline should be closer to the middle of the skull) I think the proportions are a bit out and the jaw looks to big compared to the cranial cavity.

I did a bit of a ps manip on this one to show you what I mean

I changed the perspective a bit so the jaw was proportionally smaller the cranium added a little dark to the right side of your wife's face and to the bridge of the nose and the left eye. Hope this helps.

- mark

Last edited by draw; September 1st, 2005 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks
    van dude...good to see you back in action anyway.

decent start off for a new beggining.

On your painting of the face i feel like its layered in transparancies that could be solidified and some areas could be more solid, sharply painting to define the shapes.

Keep up the sketchbook i miss ur old one

Thanks
    van! what's up! good to see you posting again. your work has improved a bunch from what I see... a lil crit, I did a quick paintover to better illustrate what I'm trying to say, hope you don't mind-

the first thing that my eye was drawn to was the nose, which is good, because it's the part of the face that's projected out most- but there's this highlighted bump that I couldn't help but look at and wonder what was going on... it's one of those cases where even if it's true to life or the ref, it would be better to downplay it by having it take on a middle value (or omitting it) so that it isn't the focus of what you want your viewer to be looking at. The benefit of representational paintings over photography is that we can choose the areas to emphasize and alter from reality, even if only slightly.

the second lil change I made was based on mentler's comment...I think what he was saying was that there are hard edges that define the shape of her nose that are necessary to describe what's going on... but every edge on the nose, including the bridge, is a hard edge without transitional values. If you have a hard edge, there's gotta be a soft edge that helps turn the shape in space... so I just brought in some middle/transitional value up in the bridge to show that that area of her nose sits slightly farther back in space and is a smooth, turning shape. it helps her nose look like a natural extension of her face, rather than a separate appendage. The edges on the bottom of her nose seems fine to me, because it really shows the separation of planes that someone with a defined nose would have.

anyway, hope these crits don't seem too harsh and they made sense- but damn man, you've come a long way! hope to see some new updates soon!

Thanks
    Hey van, welcome back. Nice paintings.. amazing to see how much you've improved since I first saw you start to post here way back when... wish I'd improved as much.

lookin forward to seeing youre sketches.

Thanks
    Magical lighting on that polar bear! More more more!!! *bangs steel mug on table*

d-C

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dCepT
    Magical lighting on that polar bear! More more more!!! *bangs steel mug on table*

d-C
    LOL, bangs too.
    Good to have you back Van, and thanks for the PM.
    Good work on the portrait, maybe add some light to the background to separate her from it.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    draw: Thank you so much! I often forget that 'painting/drawing what I see' does not mean that I cannot embellish, exaggerate, and dare I say...fix stuff. I have spent the past two years with my head to the grindstone and now that I have some actual skill I really need to start being more bold with my colors, contrasts, and lighting. Thanks for the manip...it helps a lot.

endregan: Thanks, dude! It is so good to be back posting and getting help from you guys. I missed you all. About the transparency...I feel that way a lot when I am using digital as opposed to oils. Thanks for the crit. I will pay more attention.

cotron: My man! You can read my response to draw above because it is the same kind of thing. I just get wrapped up and forget that artistic license is the best part about being an artist. And whats this about harsh....I love it. In 2 years I have went from this:

http://sketchforums.com/uploads/post-11-1065101818.jpg

to the portrait on the first post in this book. Largely due to all the help I have received from you guys...oh, and a little bit of hard work.

adien: Just keep pushing and...hehe...draw from life. It actually isn't just a load of bullshit. I thought it was for the first year I was here. Life...not ref.

d: I hope you like what I have done to it so far. Thanks, man.

buzzz: My friend...I want to see more of your work! As soon as you get done changing those diapers draw us some pretty pictures.

And on to the update. Quite eclectic.

More of the bear:

Man, oh, man...water is a pain in the ass.

A sketchbook page (life studies...various):

Quick Oil study of a bust I have in my house (playing with complimentary colors):

And we have painting parties at my house. The last one the subject was Tarot cards. So, I painted a door...this is my version of the Judgement card. I thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

Last edited by van; September 4th, 2005 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks
    Hey Van,

Welcome back. You've got some great stuff going on here and I'm eagerly awaiting more.

Cheers,
    ~Shane

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregano
    Hey Van,

Welcome back. You've got some great stuff going on here and I'm eagerly awaiting more.

Cheers,
    ~Shane
    Shane! It is so good to see you around here. =) Shoot me a pm sometime! and thanks!

Thanks

Thanks
    Love the mood and overall feel of that one man. Can't tell and didn't see: what's the medium?

[edit] upon closer inspection, looks digital - yes?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregano
    Love the mood and overall feel of that one man. Can't tell and didn't see: what's the medium?

[edit] upon closer inspection, looks digital - yes?
    Digital, yes. I wish I could make my oils look this good...but, alas...my color mixing. I have no fear though...I am currently working 15-18 hours a week with my painting teacher...along with all of the stuff I do in my spare time.

Spare time?!

All photoshop CS. Still using Buzzz's brushes.

Thanks

Oi

Great stuff I do not have room for critiqus here I like your work and the angel is very nice.

sly
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is nothing more satisfying than knowing your enemy missed."
    Murphy's Law and a tester's mentality

Thanks
    Great work Van! Nice to see you're still using the ol' brushes
    I'm still experimenting with the brushes by the way, creating some new ones along the way.

Bless your wife for letting you paint like that!

Love the bear and the pencils in the sketchbook.
    Besides the brush-tool in photoshop, sometimes the smudge-tool with a custom brush tip can help you with creating the look of water.

I want to start with oils too when I have the time but I'm a little chicken yet.
    Watercolours/acrylics/gouache are more on the safe side for me now
    I'm starting a course at a local art-centre here, 3hrs per week, using different mediums, hope it will be fun.

Keep it up!

Erik

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by van
    Digital, yes. I wish I could make my oils look this good...but, alas...my color mixing. I have no fear though...I am currently working 15-18 hours a week with my painting teacher...along with all of the stuff I do in my spare time.

Spare time?!

All photoshop CS. Still using Buzzz's brushes.
    Hehe, yeah, I know the spare time issue Color mixing can be a bitch. I'm not as good at it as I'd like on pallet. One of my biggest gripes about my stuff is that it tends to kick over into the primary colors too much (because of mixing on canvas, I suppose...), or I just end up with mud

Last edited by S.C. Watson; September 10th, 2005 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks
    hey van, how's it goin'?
    great karate kid portrait, i would love to see that finished. you can make sure it doesn't stay so "plastic-like" by varying the value throughout the face. make sure there are some pure blacks, and pure whites. that's always helped me with painting/drawing faces. keep it up, your observational skills are fantastic

Thanks
    sly: Thanks for stopping in and taking the time to comment. I am digging meeting all the new people around here.

buzzz: I just have never needed anything but those brushes. =) If you ever want to share more...send em my way. I get lost trying to create good ones.

Dude, you will love oils. Once you go Ivory Black you never go back. Seriously, its a big freakin mess but once you get over that part....its just an amazing medium. My favorite, in fact. I just can't wait to learn more about color. Hopefully the hours I am putting into working with a teacher on top of my practice here at home will pay off.

Oregano: I have been fighting mud for a long time. You just have to be careful and never mix all of those primaries.

Odds: That karate kid is as finished as its going to get. Maybe one day when I am bored I will revisit, but, heh...I just don't want to work on it! Also, I am going to refute your advice and give you some advice...you NEVER want pure whites or blacks in your paintings. Always strive to use color and mix primaries to get your darkest darks. Of course, this is more traditional painting advice than anything else. Thanks for stopping in...I am really enjoying your sketchbook!

Ok. Some work.

This was supposed to be a quick oil sketch, but I noodled around on it quite a bit. That shadow on his face is not really a shadow. That's my dad. He has a weird skin pigment condition which I know is going to get me a lot of crits! LMAO. Anyway, this is the underpainting.

Last edited by van; September 4th, 2005 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks
    ah, yeah.. i think i was talking more about drawing than painting there, heh. my mistake. you just want something close to it.. like maybe a dark cyan and a bright yellow. you know what i mean, right?
    with that last painting, the skin actually looks decent. the only thing i'd watch out for is your strokes when applying lights/darks. make sure to follow the form
    keep it up-

Thanks
    The old dude with the cap rocks!!!
    Good looking out on the polar bear as well. You really captured something with that light!

peace

d-C

Thanks
    welcome back man the last one rocks i really like it, i wanna see it finished, oh and the one with the complimentary colours, like think about using them to seperate part of the design so it helps show what is where, like maybe defining your light and shadows with them. Jes a thought

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    that bird is aweosme! that oil is cool, looks great how it is so far, but i would like to see where u go with it

keep truckin

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.