Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Hurricane Katrina

I searched around and didn't see anyone else posting on this, so if this is a reposting of the same topic, sry. I was just wondering if anyone is in the path of this storm, mainly in the New Orleans area. If there are, just wanted to say that I hope you stay safe. I've been following this all day and it just looks like the situation keeps getting worse and more ominous. I've got a friend I use to go to school with that lives down there and I haven't heard what he plans to do, or if he already got out.
    -Brad Cossey

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    A hurricane named Katrina?.....yeah she's going to be a bitch.
    Yeah Baby! Cause I'm The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight!

Thanks
    Incoming Hurricane has right of way.

Good luck to folks in Louisiana. And err..get out of its way. Be safe people.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    You know what i have been thinking about this alot so here goes. Who is it that names all the hurricanes. Like do they just pick a name out of a hat or something or do they look at a name book. Am i the only one that thinks about something this wierd.

Thanks
    I am here in Florida and in my area we got hit by two back to back last year what the hell is the weather ,I have been through four and I am only 25. Bracomadar hope your friend gets out because from what I heard this is a vicious thing I cannnot believe this is the same storm that just hit south Florida last week.
    I hope this is not near as horrid as I have heard.
    AngetheSlayer the names are alphabetical and storm that make landfall and do serious damage have the names retired also storm never had male names until 1978.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubstar
    AngetheSlayer the names are alphabetical and storm that make landfall and do serious damage have the names retired also storm never had male names until 1978.
    So Katrina is the 12th storm for the year. I think they were running out of names coz I do remember learning in high sch Geography I learned that they always had female names.

Thanks
    Have you ever looked in a baby name book? Its like impossible to run out of names! But I did hear that they use guys names because they ran out of girls names.

Thanks
    Almost my entire family lives in or around new orleans, or just over the border in mississppi... where its hitting now. (mom is less than a mile from the beach there near gulfport)

They didn't evacuate very inland, the ones in bay saint louis/gulfport mississippi just drove over to abita springs, La. and are trying to weather it out... makes me nervous! *crosses fingers* (thank goodness the ones inside new orleans or too near lake ponch. got out... actually I'm assuming they all did, I can't get through, even on their cells since yesterday)

You have to plan a bit ahead to evacuate, I'm told that they go ahead and shut the interstates down a bit, so that for instance people in mississippi can't drive over to La, etc... I'm not sure the exact reasoning, if its really to keep people out, or make it easier for other to actually get out. They obviously want you driving north and inland, not towards the hurricane. Apparently you get used to it (the preparation) as my mother was hanging the boards over her windows 3 days ago.

Mother got out of gulfport area (where I think its hitting now) and made it to abita with a good portion of her family all hunkered down together on the farm there.

And of course I can't get through on any phones

**edit**

Quote Originally Posted by news report
    The storm's eastern eye wall was approaching Biloxi and Gulfport, Mississippi.

Authorities in Gulfport told CNN that 10 feet of water cover downtown streets.

"There is intense damage," said CNN's Gary Tuchman from Gulfport. "We are watching the dismantling of a beautiful town."

"We are watching these building deteriorate and break down before our eyes," he said. "Because the water is so deep, boats are floating up the street. There is extensive damage here. This is essentially right now like hell on earth."
    worry worry worry

Quote Originally Posted by weather report
    Forecasters predicted that the worst-hit areas in Mississippi would be about a 15-mile stretch of coast including Waveland, Bay St. Louis, and Pass Christian. The last time that area was hit by such a severe storm was in 1969 when the Category Five Hurricane Camille devastated the region, killing 256 people in Mississippi and Louisiana.
    noooooo, bay st. louis... noooooo. If you ever visit and its still there after this... Benignos has the BEST po boys...

Such a beautiful place over there... now I'm worrying some more. I've got so many relatives (including mom,dad, sister) that live there.
    Last edited by Marie; August 29th, 2005 at 12:09 PM.
    --marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure everything will be alright with your folks Marie....

Thanks
    Yeah I'm sure they will be ok, they got out of the worst of it... I just cringe to think of everyone's livelyhood dashed by the floods, what a mess all around.

My folks though close to the coast acually livein this tiny little area slated for lvl 5 hurricane evacution, while just a walk down the street brings you to folks who need to evacuate at lvl 1 hurricane status, its weird. Just their block, its sheltered I guess... now for everyone else, sheesh, I just drove down that coast last month, I feel for those home and store owners, its going to hurt.
    --marie--

Thanks
    what the hell were the French thinking when they built a city along a bay, with lakes on both sides and an ocean behind it. plus, being 20 feet below sea level?

the shootings would have happened with or without a hurricane. what concerns me the most is the looting. i think people are not doing it because they're criminals. their homes have been swept away, there's no electricty, fresh water, or medical help. they have nothing. they're looting out of desperation, not oppurtunism. i don't blame them!

poor people

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie
    Almost my entire family lives in or around new orleans, or just over the border in mississppi... where its hitting now. (mom is less than a mile from the beach there near gulfport)

They didn't evacuate very inland, the ones in bay saint louis/gulfport mississippi just drove over to abita springs, La. and are trying to weather it out... makes me nervous! *crosses fingers* (thank goodness the ones inside new orleans or too near lake ponch. got out... actually I'm assuming they all did, I can't get through, even on their cells since yesterday)

You have to plan a bit ahead to evacuate, I'm told that they go ahead and shut the interstates down a bit, so that for instance people in mississippi can't drive over to La, etc... I'm not sure the exact reasoning, if its really to keep people out, or make it easier for other to actually get out. They obviously want you driving north and inland, not towards the hurricane. Apparently you get used to it (the preparation) as my mother was hanging the boards over her windows 3 days ago.

Mother got out of gulfport area (where I think its hitting now) and made it to abita with a good portion of her family all hunkered down together on the farm there.

And of course I can't get through on any phones

**edit**

worry worry worry

noooooo, bay st. louis... noooooo. If you ever visit and its still there after this... Benignos has the BEST po boys...

Such a beautiful place over there... now I'm worrying some more. I've got so many relatives (including mom,dad, sister) that live there.
    I hope your family and friends there are alright Marie.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    I hope your family and friends there are alright Marie.
    Thank you. We have not been able to get in touch with anyone, there is no power, no phone lines, no cells.

We're pretty sure from the news that at least 10 homes in my family were lost, including my parents, which was in bay st. louis, 1 mile from the beach and 2 others in waveland that were much closer than 1 mile to the beach. Then there are all the homes themselves in new orleans, who if not lost to the floodwaters, are being destroyed and ransacked by the looters from what I've been told. (disgusting pathetic...)

We're hoping that no one was hurt, they were supposed to have all gone to another city last we heard, but that city also got flooded and lost power, so its a waiting game.

Thanks again for the concern, I've been glued to the news reports here on the internet hoping for even pictures of the areas, anything.
    --marie--

Thanks
    [QUOTE=ParkerD]they have nothing. they're looting out of desperation, not oppurtunism. i don't blame them!QUOTE]

The problem I have is with those looters that are stealing electronics (tvs, cds, etc). There is no reason for that. Food, water, clothes, and ESSENTIALS I understand. I know that cops aren't arresting people that are "stealing" food and water. I heard of a guy getting arrested for stealing a small jonboat from Wal-Mart.

Thanks
    Aye, if put in that situation I can actually understand the desperation in trying to survive and need for fresh water and food.

To those that are looting things like electronics... and other people's homes... all I can say is that I'm ashamed to be classified of the same species, its pathetic and disgusting.

And then there are those that have lost everything, and all they can think of is "how can I help others", thank goodness for those people.

as a side note, I'm so upset with myself for not continuing to learn ham radio. My dad is an operator and I can't reach him at all... if I'd kept up with it and got my license I could reach him now. (isn't hindsight 20/20?) Time to pick it back up.

I'm sure the whole looting situation is an interesting topic in itself though... it really makes you think about the state of the human mind when a disaster hits.
    --marie--

Thanks
    I've got plenty of family in Louisiana. Thankfully they live an hour north of New Orleans (Ponchatoula, Kentwood), so all they got was a bunch of wind. Last night I finally got through to them. They're all okay but they're going to be without power for at least a month. It's horrid for so many people, not to mention all of the businesses that will be shut down until they can get power again. I just hope for a quick recovery.
    Andrew Murray
    Concept Artist, Tencent Boston
    www.theincredibleandy.com

Thanks
    I just wanted to let everyone know that last night I heard from my family and know they are alive, thanks so much for those of you that sent well wishes, it meant a lot to have that support.

**blah blah blah something something something** (removed, was just a rant)-marie

take care, and hope that everyone's families and friends are ok
    --marie--

Thanks
    Theirs no excuse for looting. If you need food, write an IOU note or something and take it. But stealing is stealing. Its taking advantage of a bad situation and making it worse.

Glad your familys ok Marie!

Thanks
    Marie, so very glad to hear that your family is okay. I would have been worried sick!

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    That is very good news Marie

Thanks
    I've been following your posts Marie...good to hear the news. God bless those poor people down there. What a war zone. We all need to pray hard for them.
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Thanks
    I guess now we have a glimpse of what happened with the tsunami in Asia. I hate to say that my compassion for the victims is somewhat overridden by my anger over the looters. Sorry ParkerD, I can't agree with you on this one. If it's food, hell yes, but all the rest... They are parasites living off of other people's misery.

Marie, I've said it already, but I'll say it again; I'm glad everthing turned out ok and that goes for anybody down there or has someone down there.

Thanks
    Looting is bad, but I doubt they will get out with a TV, or even make it 2 blocks. It sucks they are wasting their time doing this when they could be helping others get out of the city, or get help. When you need food, or water, or first aid materials, you will get them no matter what. If I owned a grocery store down there I wouldn't mind people taking what they need. Insurance will cover it. Now they have snipers shooting at rescuers. WTF is that? Maybe it's people who have mental conditions and can't get to their medicine. Whatever it is, it's just sad and unbelievable. The only thing that shocks me more than the situation is the way our government is handling this situation. People are dieing in this place and Bush isn't doing enough to help them. They aren't dieing because of injuries from the hurricane, or floods, but because they can't get water and medicine. The people on the ground say they need this stuff desperately and when I see a press conference they act like it's not so bad. The police are outnumbered and being shot at. They donít even have a place to take people who are breaking the law. Itís total anarchy. They don't have enough troops to help control looting and the escalating violence. Doctors there have to contact the press to get the word out they are desperately low on medical supplies because they aren't getting them when they contact those in charge of rescue efforts. If you don't have enough people there to help deliver essentials, rescue people, or keep the peace, then call for more and get them there FAST! Bush's job is to protect the people of the United States. I DO NOT THINK HE IS DOING HIS JOB! If someone is not doing their job then they should be FIRED!!! Bill Clinton and his Bush's "dad" are trying to raise donations. At least that's something. If he can't even protect Americans, how the hell is he going to protect Iraq? If this doesnít get Bush impeached, I donít know what will.
    -Brad Cossey

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Thanks
    With all the crap that he's done to this country and others as well, I doubt that he will ever be impeached. People will swallow whatever crap he dishes out no matter what they see with their own eyes. It's unbelievable. I saw some guy on the news a few hours ago from N.O. and he was asking Bush why he can mobilize helicopters and troops to go to Iraq but can't do so for his own people. I wonder the same.
    And while I'm on a rant here, why is it that the average joe is always asked to make a sacrifice for our country, why won't the corporations, such as the oil companies ever make a sacrifice? They are making record profits and they use the hurricane as an excuse to raise gas prices. They are just as bad as the looters in my eyes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bracomadar
    Bush's job is to protect the people of the United States. I DO NOT THINK HE IS DOING HIS JOB! If someone is not doing their job then they should be FIRED!!!
    He's the president, he's not magic.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0kelvin

0kelvin
    I agree but the only thing that bugs me is he was on vacation and he knew it was going to hit. Everyone knew it was going to be really bad.
    My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    People shooting at hospital medivac helicopters. That's real fucking class for ya right there.

I hate people sometimes.

That said, I still donated to the Red Cross to help out all those people who did the right thing, tried to get out before the hurricane hit, and are now destitute.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Heartbreaking is all I can say.

Thanks
    Forget about the looting. People are getting raped and beaten down there.
    Last edited by Chris J. Anderson!; September 3rd, 2005 at 01:14 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0kelvin
    No, but he sure can be a dick at press conferences. all he does is shrug his shoulders and smirk. his attitude from what I've seen on TV is far too cavalier for something of this magnitude. These are the people he's sworn to protect and he acts like they're losing a football game...."shucks." They're watching ther family die and the bodies are dragged into corners of the street to rot! It's disgusting.

I'm not trying to have a political debate, but it's a completely underwhelming effort on the federal government's part; and the spokesman/head of that government seems to give a rats ass.

With the amount of time that's passed while things are this fucked up, they've had tme to fly troops from bases around the country and even in the european bases- but they haven't. They dropped a few MRE's on em, and had a piddly amount of buses show up to evacuate. It's just not right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast