8-bit video-game characters?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 8-bit video-game characters?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

8-bit video-game characters?

Hi People of CA.org,

I was wondering if any of you knew how to make custom 8-bit video game style characters. Perhaps in photoshop or something? What are the steps if any?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Use a very small image (64x64 px), use the pencil tool, put the eraser in pencil mode.

Visit pixelpushing sites: http://www.pixeldam.net/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you dude, now that I know what the art is called, my google search comes up with a lot more relevant hits. Thanks you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For larger stuff, I paint them big and pretty sloppy, then I rescale with nearest neighbour or a custom scaling filter I made.

I think CAPCOM made their beatemup sprites by drawing the figures on paper, checking animations and stuff traditionally, then they scanned and pixelated from that source.

I'm not sure what you mean about '8-bit' characters. Different systems allowed different colors and resolution. The Atari 2600 had a 6502 variant 8-bit processor and so did the NES, but it was the PPU that really set those systems apart graphics wise. With the Atari 2600's TIA chip you had to count ASM clock cycles/screen blanks and do all sort of tricky stuff to draw your characters on the screen. It could do copper effects (gradient bars) inside the sprites though, so it could use many colors per sprite as long as it was in horizontal rows. Demon Attack used this effect I believe.
    I don't think the NES could do copper, but it had a better PPU overall. It relied on 8*8px tiles and 4 (-1 for transparency) color palettes for those. There were also some rather complex limitations for the number of total colors that could be used on screen.

If you just want to fake a retro feel, stick to just a few colors per sprite, and make them in 8px multiples, and don't use more than 16 or 32 total colors.

When I pixelate manually I use the pen tool in PS and gradually build up the palette. Oh yeah, I also turn on the grid @16px, and I make a new window which I keep at 200% without grid.

You can actually make your own .act palette file by saving a 1px high, row of pixels as .raw, then rename and load as a palette. It's a good trick if you want to sort your colors manually, cuz PS doesn't seem to allow that.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I meant by 8-bit was just things that look kinda retro and pixelated.

Thank you Prometheus, that information is great (quite excited to start actually). Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.