Would someone like to give me some advice?:

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Would someone like to give me some advice?:

I would like some suggestions on a few things for the art insdustry. i'm planning on going into the illustration/ graphic design...but first i need a few upgrades.

First off all i would like to know some names/brands for a good scanner. mine is like 10 years old and is about to call it quits...so naturally i've been out of the loop when it comes to to scanners...

the same goes for my printer...need suggestions there too.

for the scanner and printer i'm looking to spending no more then 300 max.

also i'd love some input on good computers. both PC and Mac. because i hear macs are good for the graphics industry...but pcs are also needed for fonts and stuff. i have a decent computer now, but its a bit slow...so i was thinking getting it upgraded, and then buying a mac (possiably a laptop?)

i dunno give me some ideas and tips please!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As far as printers go, you can't go wrong with Epson. I just got a 1280 for about $300. Large format (up to 13x19) and excellent quality.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Epson scanners are pretty good too. If you don't need large format printing or scanning you could even get an all-in-one, but of course then if one part goes the whole thing has to get fixed/replaced.

If you want to migrate over to a Mac, you could buy a Mini for $500 and use your existing monitor and keyboard.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A Hitchhiker's (not really) Guide to Buying Apple Or PC:

1. Buy the one you prefer.

Seriously.
    Thats really all there is to it in picking which one you want to use. Both operating systems work great no matter what the fanboys say. Both have lower price solutions. Both are fine with graphics. And even if one has its points, so does the other. Etc etc.

Although there is one area that is slightly lagging behind on the venerable OSX:
    Computer Games.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i would stay away from epson printers, i had one and the print quality was pretty bad. and someone i know had a similar experience.. epson printers also use more ink then lexmark or HP. and they break down more. I would go with a lexmark or an HP. i've done some research too because i was looking to buy. i haven't needed to as of yet.. but i've done the research.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for all the info guys! it helps me out a little bit more. I have an HP scanner and an epson printer...both didnt disappoint me in quality (though my printer was just old.) but my scanner decided that it no longer wish's to scan color...if i do it puts this big ol transperant block of either green or yellow across the whole image, but it doesnt do it with black and white. i dont know why.

as for my printer, no matter how many times i clean it, it still prints with lines or the wrong color...but yeah...their both aproximatly 10 years old.

as for the whole mac vs pc thing, i was asking cause some of the professor's that i talked with at the school i'm planning on attending said, while they both are good and work the same, there are sometimes issues transfering between the two. especially with the font (i dont know the technacalities of this, but my bf tried explaining it to me.)

they also told me that sometimes printers will charge you because they sometimes have to change file formats from pc to mac...so i just thought it would be nice to have one of each, so in the future if i wanted to start my own buisness or at least make prints and stuff...id know what i have and need.

of course the mac is a future invesment. i dont need it right now. i'm used to pc's and know virtually nothing about macs, so for now i'm worrying about my scanner/printer issue...and considering upgrading or buying a new pc...(cause this one is sooo slow. ;_

but yeah thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chimera
    i would stay away from epson printers, i had one and the print quality was pretty bad. and someone i know had a similar experience.. epson printers also use more ink then lexmark or HP. and they break down more. I would go with a lexmark or an HP. i've done some research too because i was looking to buy. i haven't needed to as of yet.. but i've done the research.
    ...you should name which epson printer you have and your experience with their full range before you condemn the entire brand.

I have a 2100 which cost over $1500 when I got it and it kicks much arse and has the best print quality in its range.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittywolf13
    because i hear macs are good for the graphics industry...
    I get scared whenever I read or hear this......very scared.

Either one is fine. Whether or not you buy a Mac or PC, the important thing is understanding how the damn thing works so you don't have to keep calling tech support when it goes crazy due to little problems that can be solved with weekly maintenence.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, making choices on heresay is rediculous - just as going into a mac store to ask about mac v PC or vice versa.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    I have a 2100 which cost over $1500 when I got it and it kicks much arse and has the best print quality in its range.
    Ain't that the truth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to do anything like archival-quality printing on an inkjet, make sure your printer uses pigment-based cartridges, NOT dye-based. I've aready made that mistake... bought an HP all-in-one, which is good enough for my promotional mailers, but later I found that I can't make my own limited edition giclee prints because the dye-based ink isn't permenant.

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've been using Epson for the past 4 years, my stepfather has been for longer (an artist as well and uses his 2200 every day) and I swear by them. Beats any other brand I've seen. I had a lexmark prior to my Epson and there isn't even a comparison to be made.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittywolf13
    also i'd love some input on good computers. both PC and Mac. because i hear macs are good for the graphics industry...but pcs are also needed for fonts and stuff. i

i dunno give me some ideas and tips please!!

that's an outdated idea. PCs and Macs are on pretty much par for graphics, illustration, and design these days. Look at any MAC vs. PC argument thread and you'll see as many pros for one side as for the other.

for 3d though, PC is still a LOT more widely used, esp. in the game industry. Mac is closing the gap on that, but it doesn't seem like it's closing it very fast.

Macs have final cut though, and that's a dang nice program... for video editing and sound stuff they seem to be choice.

so it depends on what you want to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not to turn your post into a MAC vs. PC debate...but here's my 2cents
    I don't use PC's anymore, because I just find the MAC to be way more user friendly. As far as graphics are concerned, if you do your research you can probably match a MAC's graphics. Craig Mullins uses a PC now I think...
    As far as fonts - well most Graphic Designers I know are all MAC people...and they use Font Agent Pro- which is an awesome Font Manager - and relatively inexpensive program. I use it exclusively.
    - I agree with Ewell on the EPSON scanners..I have an older model -2400 - and it does the job. If I could get a new one, I would get one that does larger format sizes...
    hope this helps a bit

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.