Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ubiquitous Ink - big sketchdump

There is nothing to see in here.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chance.; November 4th, 2009 at 10:15 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi and welcome to the Sketchbook section !!

i hope you will have a blast !!

now, draw and post

cheers !

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the welcome, hurricane.

I hope posting on this site will motivate me to produce more drawings.

I am open to all critisism and hope that all of you amazing artists will take pity on me and give some advice.

For general information, I am sixteen and am currently working on anatomy.
    My goal is to learn how to creat comics and sequential art so if anyone around hear does that stuff please refer me to your thread(s).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is one of the coolest types of bad guys in the lord of the rings trilogy

By the way, it is legal for me to post drawings like these online isn't it?

I know that the muscles in his leg aren't positioned quite right, and his sword hand is a little weird, but this is one I did a while ago and I was just starting to understand muscle anatomy at the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A sketch from my imagination, took about fifteen minutes to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From my favorite dragon movie of all time. Reign of Fire.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a few moments of insanity today, and created these deranged characters.

His name is Gordon Fletcher, his occupation is netch hunting, and he lives on the island of Morrowind (the setting of a video game produced by bethesda softworks).

For those of you not familiar with the above named video game; Netches are giant, four-story tall jellyfish things that fly around on certain parts of the island. They are coveted for their hide which is used to make most of the leather products in Morrowind. Unfortunately, being as big as they are, they are not easy to kill. That is where our friend Gordon comes in. His job is to be catipulted from the ground, onto the netch's back. He sinks is glove and boot hooks into the netch's hide and cuts a small hole in it. He then inserts a stick of dynamite, lights it, and jumps off. This is the most effective method to date for hunting netches. It is a very high paying job due to the high mortality rate. Those netch hunters who escape the blast of the dynamite, usually perish when they hit the ground.

[none of the above is actually in the morrowind video game except the netches, I just created Gordon for fun, and I figure that someone has to has to hunt netches otherwise where did my boiled netch leather curass come from in the game?]

He processes the most meat in the city. He is know as the mad butcher. Dispite, or perhaps because the people are terrified of him, they keep coming back for more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you are working on anatomy, lets see some of your work in these posts

that would be great !

illustration web space:
    www.ebillustration.com
    general portfolio website:
    www.ebillustration.com/gallery
    ca sketchbook:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=118097

careful, if you click on the sketch book link while you are viewing my ca sketchbook you might get stuck in a causality loop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally I post again. Sorry it took so long. I had some scanner problems but they are all fixed now. (hopefully)

I am teaching myself the basic muscle groups.

just practicing on the torso

Any crits or advice will be most welcome

Last edited by Chance.; September 20th, 2005 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing personal, and please don't take this as any type of "slam" or "insult," but your stuff is nice. And that's all.

It's part of the hundreds upon hundreds of hours you need to put into practice, practice, and more practice.

Good basic anatomy, but your imaginative stuff starts getting squished up. Practice some more.

Your shading needs practice. It does not impart any real depth or dynamics, it is just kind of hesitant, and not consistent in directions or pressure at times.

Work on drawing out backgrounds and atmospheric scenes. Draw some objects. Vary your practice, but keep practicing.

You have talent and potential, but still have quite a ways to go to get any real notice, because you, and about half the threads here in the Sketchbook section are at about the same level. The only way you'll get better is...you know it, PRACTICE.

When you start really getting good, you'll know it, and others will see it, and THEN, they'll post a reply. Until then, don't worry about it.

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oi: I think I got the rules right...

Ill tell you , this it the first time I have seen the thread, to my knowledge, And without being told you moved on to annatomy sketches, I think you are moving in the right direction, try not to get frustrated with the good people of the forums, you being one of them, Keep with your studies, you arent alone, post on other people's forums, or just wait long enough, You are here and making natural progress, there are those here for support. Relax keep sketching,

*edit* Knew Madster would beat me to it, and he is right.

sly

Last edited by sly's hand; September 23rd, 2005 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Madster won the quick draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just quickly what I'd do:
    (and am doing right now, too )

look at the master's work { http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46 / http://www.artrenewal.org }

read the books { betty edwards - drawing on the right side of the brain / nicolaides - the natural way to draw / the loomis books - http://www.saveloomis.org / the beverly hale books / books on perspective, anatomy and drawing/painting in general - find the ones that look interesting to you

go to the museums { look / analize (WHY is this looking good/not looking good) / draw}

watch the world around you { try to see changes in color on your grandma's pullover / draw your neighbour's van / try to stand still for a moment, close your eyes and listen for a while. no matter where you are, at the airport, school, in a park, at home. you will develop an awareness for your environment that will also help you with your art }

last but not least:
    have fun! { you'll probably stop pretty soon if everything is just "work". you'll need work, madster said it pretty clearly I think, but you are not a machine, you are an artist. or some would say "on the way to become one", but thats another story there.. }

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All of your advice is most appreciated.

-->Madster- You are completely right about my stuff. You only have to look around this site for a few minutes to realize that my stuff is nothing special. I will work on all the things you pointed out. What you said is exactly what I want people to say. I want to know what I need to work on.

I have no formal art education other than what I've gotten out of books, so I'm a little over exited about this forum.

-->Sly's hand- Glad to know I'm heading in the right direction. Now that I've had some replies I will hopefully calm down, post more, and progress.

-->Dorian- Thanks for the resources I will check them out. I will hopefully be going to an art museum very soon Also, art is fun. Probably one of the most fun things I do. If it wasn't, I wouldn't do it.

You all will probably never read this reply, but maybe I'm just being pesimistic. I look forward to any advice that you would be willing to give, but will live if you don't have time.

Thanks to All

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice stuff, Mr. Caddlewick.

Gordon Fletcher, he, he, he! Great backstory!

Your other work is good, too.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Caddlewick, If I can echo what some other people are saying this is a good start and now the next step is to try to take it further. Try to look even deeper, draw from life, try to put your characters in enviroments, work on your anatomy, art history, composition, and patience, it doesn't happen over night. There are many tutorials on the site, maybe that's a good place to start, honestly look at your work and start working on your weakest areas and slowly it'll start to come together for you. Work Hard and be persistent.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hear everything that you guys are saying, and plan on doing it. First though I am going to start posting my collection of recent, and not so recent work. I have learned a whole lot about anatomy in the last few months, so some of the pieces will have some major problems in that area. Please don't judge those too harshly. I plan on dating all of my work from now on so I can keep track of when I did it.

Here is some stuff from art my folder. It was picked at random so could be as old as early this year. That may not sound very old, but like I said I've learned a lot in that last several months.

This is supposed to be the actress Miranda Otto. I don't think that I did to bad on the face, but it doesn't look like her. I've got no idea what I did wrong.

Practice on eye anatomy.

Practice on skull structure. Done today.

Some sort of janitor. I inked this one over. My first attemt at inking.

I sketched this from a graphic novel. I made his right arm too long.

Will post more soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hmm.

I like your stuff. Q-caddlewick, notice, I know you, but you don't know me.
    Why was the my "Chance" to rant closed, I can't post there, NOW.

WillTB.

Life is hard, then you die, what's the point?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this new stuff, Mr. Caddlewick...

Skulls!!! Skulls are great!!!

Hmmmm...Miranda Otto...yeah, I can see that...

Good work, sir...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your anatomy is coming along quite nicely. Keep working at it.

One thing that I have noticed alot with your sketches is a confusing light source. Your shadows tend to jump around everywhere. When starting a sketch you should define a light source and stick to it. Sometimes I even draw in where the light source is.

That will help add some consistency to your pictures.

FASTIDIOUS SKETCHFIENDS of the FANTASTIC FOURTEENTH ESCHELON
    staylor| inkfish | rodrigo! | ah.heng | maxetormer | bRØk3n_sPiRiT | Max1975 | ZebzFree

TURBOFANATIC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THANK YOU STAYLOR. YOU GIVE ME HOPE.

If I know what I am doing wrong then I can begin to correct it. I need excellent people like you to say things like. Otherwise I can't improve.

Don't be too upset by these next pieces. They are old stuff so there is a lot of things wrong with them (confusing light sources included) I am posting these to keep myself humble.

A guy with a sword. I was experimenting with warpaint designs I think

I was taking some armor and a sword that I thought were cool and creating a character. How the dude is managing to stand up is beyond me. The way he is standing puts his center of balance way back.

Venom from spider man. This was one of the first drawings that I did where I tried to accuratly render muscle anatomy. Unfortunately I neglected skeletal anatomy, resulting in this long-armed villain.

Despite its problems, I like this picture. Gimli's posture is way to static for being in the process of swinging an axe. His shading is all off too. I don't know what I was thinking. I think his axe head turned out looking cool though. I think that the orc is cool. There are probably a lot of problems with him and if you see them, point them out. I did a lot of foreshortening here which is somthing I find difficult to do with people, but the blood, the muscles, and the cool helmet (you can see where the inspiration came from for the earlier picture) make this one of my favorite of my drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hopefully other have asked you to lose the photoshop coloring and comic book references. you're not going to learn much about drawing from them. its a good thing you're shifting gears with the anatomical studies, just dont forget that they're there to help you with observation when you're drawing from life and memory. good luck.

aq

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, Mr. Caddlewick! You must've got the memo! I just posted a picture of Faramir at my sketchbook! And here you have one of Gimli!

Very cool!

"I was taking some armor and a sword that I thought were cool and creating a character. How the dude is managing to stand up is beyond me."

True, and it's good that you recognized this. Still, it's a very neat sketch...

It's coming along, sir!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whats up Q-Caddlewick you got some potential. i dont know how old you are but if you keep drawing you'll improve dramaticly in no time. your definetly moving in the right direction with the anatomy studies and i think using comicbook references is really good for you too just dont limit your self to that draw from life pictures and all that.

Anthony Camilo
    "Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" – Confucius

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oi

I remember that venom from MY days as a Child, how old are you I am too lazy to check at the moment, anyway, you are making progress, but I will make a suggestion, I know you are still working but give a shot at just drawing your hand, Looking at it and drawing away. It is one of the plights of most artist, but it is a nice starting point for change. Better than that, try doing it with a ballpoint pen, regular simple pen none of that Gel ink though not different shades of that :p. anyway just a suggestion. Keep at it.

sly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For general info I'm sixteen.

Some old ones...

I was Practicing anatomy on this one.

Ditto

Som recent...

More skulls for you mr Krywell. I don't know what happened during the scanning process to cause those radiating lines.

Those of you familiar with classic american liturature may recognise this unique face. I hope.

And a cartoon...

I was a cartoonist for most of my youth. Before I became interested in the more serious forms of art. I still am a cartoonist when I feel like it so I decided to post this. I am making fun of fencers, a group of people of which I am a member.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, skulls...

Whole skeletons are good, too...

Hmmm, you seem to have captured the spirit of the epeeist quite well, Mr. Caddlewick.

Nicely done, sir, nicely done indeed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just having some fun

I did this in ms paint. Thought it looked kind of neat.

I enjoy the style of manga, and sometimes attemp to replicate it. I need more practice.

Monsters are fun to draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice manga! Keep working with it!

Say, I know who those two dudes are!!! YEEHAW!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep on workin on it man ... wip them out. And ye Love that wolverine sketch. Comics r great for studying anatomy too. be careful who to choose though. there r some there that really ... ahem. (i dont like using that word)

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3