Certification vs Degree / Brooks? / Figure Drawing

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Certification vs Degree / Brooks? / Figure Drawing

I would like to know your thoughts on certificates vs degrees, particularly in the gaming industry. I know it kind of depends on what you are studying and where you are taking the classes and also what area you are intending to enter into, but just try and explain without that information if you could.

Has anyone been to Brooks College in Long Beach, CA?

Might anyone here be attending an art class out of Cypress?

Anyone know of any figure drawing classes around Anaheim, CA?

Last edited by ishu; August 23rd, 2005 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Added a question that was forgotten.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is no official requirement for a degree and/or certificate to apply for a job in the gaming industry. That is *today*... with all the schools teaching this stuff, it is going to become a requirement in the future, mark my words.

To get a job you need a kick ass portfolio and reel. To get past HR you need to have that plus professional work experience (usually 1 or 2 shipped game titles). Places that require a degree usually ask for this as a means to weed out those who have little or no traditional art training. Remember, games are 90% hand painted textures and 10% modeling. A good texture map hides an awful model, but a great model can't hide lousy textures. Thus, for entry level types, solid art skills are a must since most will start out doing textures.

Remember, just about everyone applying for a job today has likely attended a 2 or 4 year program in 3D whatever... it's sort of like getting a high school diploma... if everyone has one, you have to get one in order to be considered equal... college is rapidly going that way. *Today* you don't need a degree, but it won't be long before is will become a requirement. If you know that your stuff rocks now, just apply for a job and see if you get in. If you won't be hitting the streets for another 4 years, I'd say a degree will likely be a must.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your reply.

I probably won't be attending school for another year because I am still concidered to be out of state, haven't lived in CA for a year yet.
    Certificates just apear to be cheaper. My parents do not plan on helping me at all with school and I really do not want to take out a loan. I do not know what to do. You are most probably right though as far as needing a degree if I do not plan to enter the job world yet.

I guess I will wait until I have been here a year and see how the gaming/art industry is going.

In heaven all the interesting people are missing.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Classes

Try finding out with the Anaheim Museum.

On the subject of accreditation and a degree, it will become so, so important. Life, and in particular the art life, is not necessarily a straight line. Perhaps you get into game design even without a degree. Then perhaps you want to move up into a leadership or director's position. That requires a broader education. You may not think that way now, but after you have met many challenges and want new ones, have a wife (or husband) and kids, have a mortgage, have to pay for braces, or want to someday pursue a master's degree, without a accredited college bachelor's degree, your options will be significantly reduced. Maybe you won't think you want to teach at a university or college, but after many hours of working in a studio, you will look forward to the camaraderie of fellow teachers and students. You will be driven by their passion, their desire, their hope. You will want health insurance and a 401K. With technology and the economy changing at an alarming rate, situations and the requirements will change fast. Very fast. The playing field will shift beneath your feet.

Your competition will not only be the people across the city or even country. You will be competing with VERY motivated, VERY driven young people from Bangalore, India, who will have degrees. That will be true in several fields. If you don't have a degree from a regionally accredited college, you may be lucky and never need it, but the chances are ovewhelmingly in favor that you will be very glad you got it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.