Thanks

Need some advice

Realistically going into this, is my portfolio good enough or large enough to invest time in looking for an employer, and once I make the decision to have slides or prints done, should I hit alot of companies or just a couple for starters?

Also anything else someone has to add would be great. I need to know whether this is worth pursuing or if I am going to go the gallery route, or even if I should just go back into the studio and keep working on private pieces.

I havn't really had time to think about this until now because other than just meditating on the digital and traditional canvas, the rest of the time I spent taking care of my kids. They're in school now so I want to research this and find out if I'm completely crazy or what.

Naomi
    Last edited by Izi; May 1st, 2009 at 01:00 PM.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well i took a look at your gallery, and just from my perspective; i think you need a lot more to sell yourself to a company.

Your work seems have quite a few areas of weakness, things like dynamics, color usage, and anatomy. I think you are pretty close to getting someplace good though, so don't take this as a 'you suck' response! But, i don't think your current work will get you any jobs, as it will not 'stand out' from another artist's.

You have a lot of knowledge and a very solid base, but i think you need to spend some time heavily studying the three things i listed above. Try to work on 1 piece here on CA, and keep working on it until it is perfect, even if it takes you months. CA has a few 'good men' who can help you with your work. So make it known you need this piece to be fixed, and you need a heavy critique and you'll get one.

Honestly I think you can definitely make it if you work hard and really focus on perfecting your work. Speed will come later, but for now, spend the time to make it absolutely perfect. But as of right now, your portfolio doesn't have the punch to knock out everyone else competing for the job.

Good luck!
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    I'd have to agree with Lord Blue on pretty much every point he made - I think your work is good, but you definitely need to tighten up a few areas.

As an art director at a video game company, I'd be looking for improvement in the following:

I think your rendering skills need to be improved and your color theory needs to be bumped up. Your anatomy is passable, but I'd definitely be looking to improve almost all areas of it. Your facial rendering lacks quite a bit of definition and personality, and being probably one of the first detail areas people will look at, it doesn't bode well - you also definitely need to punch up the highlights and mid tones to help it sing.

Onto subject matter - most of the subject matter and compositing needs some work, none of it really stands out to me, its not particularly bad, but they don't really have that extra punch that is really needed to mak people sit up and take notice - I think in part it is because you are still trying to find your style.

The subject matter is also too "fine arts" and not towards design - the design aspect is lacking - and as a result the works presented doesn't, in the context of video games stand out.

As Blue pointed out, the dynamics of you pieces is also quite limited, try to understand rhythm and balance.

Now, with regards to covers and card art etc - sorry to burst the bubble, but these are usually reserved as the cream of the design work, they are the most fun, but in order for you to be even employed in a design stable, you need to have the design work down first...pin ups are kept till later and is seen by the 2d artists as the reward for doing all the hard concept work.

Without concept work, its pretty unlikely you'll get into a games company, there simply isn't enough work for pin ups artists alone.

I do think that you have a good foundation, but only through endless study will you reach the level you will generally need to be to get into games.

Hope this helps, m.

Thanks
    Hello Lady Hydralisk

The link to your website dosen't work. Did you take it down?

Even though I haven't seen your art, my 2 cents for you is to either 1) Focus solely on one discipline, or 2) Become a little knowledgle in all aspects of art to make yourself more marketable. Going route #1 will eventually get you to higher positions at a company, but that won't happen without time and serious practice. Rount #2 may land you job quicker, at a mobile phone game company or something cheesy, but wont' require as much rigiourous training.

For now, I'm going route #2, just so I can get a job someplace and get some experience. Ultimately, I wish to become an oil painter, but for now I have to pay the rent and must find a job as soon as I can. Therefor, I'm trying to learn a little bit of everything, and make some decent-enough art in all the fields to get a job someplace. Once I get a job, I'll focus strongly on painting during my freetime.

I spent all of 2003 learning traditional animation (I am a traditional animator by training). Then I spent about half of 2004 learning 3D modeling, texturing, rigging, and animation. Finally I began to do more life drawing, and finally in 2005 I started digital painting, and oil painting. I will probably spend 2006 improving my 2D/3D animation skills, since it's my strongest (and most marketable) area. I *almost* got a job as an animator at a video game company in Seattle, as well as another job as an animator for a internet webisode studio (Kim Possible, The Critic).

Anyway, try out different disciplines, find out which one you're most capable in, and pursue that fully.. or study a little bit of everything.

Thanks
    Cool. Thanks, you've given me alot to think about. I actually know I have five more long years to proficiency....it's just, I need to know what to make to have at the end of those five years or so to get a job. I think you guys have great ideas. If I go the gallery route I know I'll just end up having to paint roses and idyllic country scenes....or boring abstracts to fit into the market. I don't want to do that. So I have to find some other avenue, I'm hoping concept art might be it. All of my heroes seem to be in that field anyways (like Brom, Bradstreet, Giger) and I suppose if you get popular enough the finished stuff can go in a gallery somewhere after the project.

As far as unusual concept in my art, at our school we're encouraged to stick with the basics before moving onto more elaborate things like fantasy creatures. So I will work more on drawing and value and leave the color theory for a coupla years down the road. But again, thanks for taking the time to critique, it has helped me make up my mind, and i'll post my digital WIP on here to get some feedback.

Oh and my server might have gone down but the website is up now. www.naomichanart.com, sorry if you hit a snag but I think Conceptart also screws with URL's a bit.
    ---- -
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyHydralisk
    As far as unusual concept in my art, at our school we're encouraged to stick with the basics before moving onto more elaborate things like fantasy creatures. So I will work more on drawing and value and leave the color theory for a coupla years down the road. But again, thanks for taking the time to critique, it has helped me make up my mind, and i'll post my digital WIP on here to get some feedback.
    LadyHydralisk,

If you are not already doing it, I would encourage you to keep a sketchbook for your fantasy creatures and scenes. Just because your teachers are pushing you toward the basics doesn't mean you should stop painting & drawing the subjects you enjoy. As you develop better skills in drawing & painting, your sketchbook will most likely show a progression of improvement.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Yeah that is a good idea too, thanks, I will set aside a sketchbook for those weird creatures that tend to float through my thoughts.
    ---- -
    abrahadabra