Thread: Best Printer?

Thanks

Best Printer?

Hi guys,
    I was wondering if any of you could give me some insight on which printer is the best value on the market right now?

I've had the Epson 2100 (2200 in the US) recommended because the ink doesn't fade for around 70 years (which is obviously good for selling prints-I wouldn't want something that fades after 3 years like my current printer!) but it looks as if that printer has been discontinued.

Ideally, something that lets you replace each ink as it runs out individually, as opposed to one colour being used and having to ditch the lot.

And obviously, the cheaper it is, the better!

Any advice you have would be appreciated!
    The sketchbook thread!

The Art of David and Sarah Cousens: www.CoolSurface.com!
    The Cool Surface Art blog: http://CoolSurface.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DavidCousens

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    What price range are you searching for? I've heard good things about the Epson R800, but it has a 400 dollar price tag which is a lot. But if you think light fastness is something to worry about, it's about 80+ years on that thing. (I'm checking a review I have of it.) Personally, I'd search for the printer with the best colour accuracy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    Do you need large format? My Epson 1270 just threw in the towel after 4 long years of service and I've replaced it with the 1280. The 1280 is fantastic in every respect (the print quality is excellent), though it does take the big block color cartidges. My step father has the 2200 and it truely is king of the large format color printers as far as I've seen. The quality of print is second to none. What a beast!

Thanks
    Ay up, Dave.

I use an HP Photosmart 8450 for my stuff and I'm very pleased with the results - it's easily as good as the stuff I've had produced 'professionally' with the added bonus that I'm in control of colour balance etc. I'm no expert, but I think all the Photosmart 8000's have the same guts so you can probably pick one up with less bells and whistles but the same excellent print quality for under £200. The Photosmart's don't allow you to change inks individually - but each of the three triple ink cartridges includes a new print head.

At work, we use Canon Pixma's ( iP5000, if I remember right ) for everyday colour printing, and they're also excellent quality. You can change inks individually on the Pixma's - I think the decent models start at around £150.

Here's a good site with in-depth reviews of some of the more popular photo inkjets and dye subs - http://www.steves-digicams.com/printers.html

Thanks
    Maybe someone has more feedback on this but I've seen printers that use solid colors : http://www.office.xerox.com/solidink/

They look pretty awesome to me.
    Last edited by Qitsune; August 22nd, 2005 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks
    ha i just went through this ordeal 6 months ago. first thing is the epson 2100 (or pm 4000px here in japan) allows you to print A3+ size. so you might want to state what size printer you want.

brandwise i would say that for serious photography and fine art prints and serious giclees printing, the best epsons still outperform the best canons etc.

for pro series printers though you have to realize that you pay a price for getting the longer lasting pigment based inks. the colors ar a bit less intens. the water based inks in printers like the R800 and most of the A4 printers out there have slightly deeper blacks. these printers also have pretty good fade characteristics but whatever claims they make it doesnt come close to any pigment based inkjet printer. i suggest you have a look. i went to the epson showroom and had them print a certain file that i brought on different papers with different printers and ultimately chose the epson '2100'. i wouldnt say its a cheap printer though.

it is a specialized printer and it has separate grey, glossy black and matte black ink. so if you switch a lot between glossy and matte paper i would advise to go with the newer version of the 2100 (dont know the international name, in japan its the 5000) where you dont have to switch the black cartridges because it allows for one more ink cartridge. the 5000 also has a coating that you can set to on or off. this can be very handy. i coat my prints by hand with acrylic gloss medium and its cool but takes quite some time.

you can find some more info on different epsons at this photography site

i would take a single file and have it printed as all the example prints for the separate priinters dont say too much.

sorry for the long post, sure this is more than you wanted to hear..
    have fun.

tensai

Thanks
    I've had the 1280 and the thing is fabulous with printing photo prints. I've heard good things about the 2200 and if my printer were to die today I would go with that one. Epson has printed the best of all the printers I've had.

Thanks
    Thanks for the reponses here guys, it's great of you all to chip in your advice (I really had no idea where to start looking so you've all been REALLY helpful!)

Thanks again!
    The sketchbook thread!

The Art of David and Sarah Cousens: www.CoolSurface.com!
    The Cool Surface Art blog: http://CoolSurface.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DavidCousens

Thanks
    I've been trying to figure out the printer situation myself lately. I just naturally assumed the laser printers are better quality than the inkjets? Or am i just completely clueless?

Thanks
    From my experience only REALLY high end laser printers are up to par with high end inkjets in terms of photo print quality. We have a $40K Fiery laser printer at work that we use for graphic design work and my inkjet produces better quality prints. You have to take that with a grain of salt however because my epson inkjet ONLY produces the high quality prints on photo paper. On normal inkjet paper it floods the paper with too much ink and it gets muddy. The laser at work produces excellent quality prints on normal paper but can't print on photo paper because the high heat will melt the paper.

With just normal text my Samsung $400 laser printer kills my epson in text quality and speed however.