Thread: Tattoos?

Thanks

Tattoos?

Hi all. it's been a long time since i last posted at ca, and its a real shame. my topic, however, is this: what do you think of tattooing as an art form? i recently (read: tonight) began work on the arduous and painful task of having a complete sleeve on my left arm. personally, i think that the art of tattooing is one that demands the respect of any artist worth his mettle; but, im sure some would disagree with me.
    For those of you that would dissent, please consider the facts. Tattooing is just as technically challenging as creating a piece of art in any other medium. all the various stages of creation are there: concept, application, completion. add to this the pressure of working on human skin, on different types of people, without the aid of any way to erase a mistake. all in all, this adds up to one hell of an artistic challenge, if you ask me.
    I, for one, plan to post WIP pictures of my sleeve on CA soon, in the hopes of maybe helping someone to understand the validity of the medium. Anyone else who reads this and agrees, please say so.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts

Thanks
    I agree, too.

Thanks
    if you guys don't mind me asking, do you happen to have any ink? if so, what?

Thanks
    Tattooing is an amazing art form and I'm impressed by the artists - I mean you really don't want to screw up when you're making something on some insane / buff guy's ripped arm.

Uhh.. whoops..... heheheheh......

WHO WILL WIN?

Conan O'Brien or
    a BEAR?

www.conanvsbear.com

Thanks
    Im getting a tatoo within a few year and i already know what to get.

Imo tatoos are really nice but theres also like art. Theres art i dont like and art i like.

Huge props for those who are tatoo artists though, i cant even imagine the preassure on working on a human arm.

Thanks
    There are some conditions which count for every kind of doing a tattoo:
    - You have a LIVING medium, you've got to be exact and do strong secure lines/shadings even if it winces. As haha said there just one try, which has to fit.
    - There is blood. Sometimes less, sometimes more and sometimes streams of. That means the colour you've worked into the skin flushes same way return out. Annoying.
    - A lot of preparation: needles, machines, disinfection, sterilisation of all tools and the whole room, communication...
    - You've got to consider how the tattoo will look like 1. when it is healed and 2. in a couple of years. The pigments will move in the skin.
    - The most annoying thing is if you see after healing that they didn't care for the tattoo, haven't creamed it, went for boozing and scratched out the colour. It hurts if you see your work careless destroyed.

To the artistic aspect:
    There is a difference between flash or custom work. It's easier to buy flashsets, you don't have to talk with the customers so much for defining their real wishes and personalities, just copy the flash and stamp it on the skin.
    Do your technical craft and finish.

I think a tattoo should be individual and unique, i prefer custom work and would like to design for all my customers THEIR special wishes...but sadly a lot of customers don't care about individuality.

Thanks
    I have respect for tattoo artists the same way I have for normal artists - if you create original and well crafted work I will say you're good and refer all my friends to you when they want a tattoo. If you use pre-designed tattoes and put them on every stupid primitive (human) I won't have a lot of respect for you but won't care about ya as I know you gotta have enough to eat, why not use said primitives for it, they don't know anything about art anyways..

Thanks
    Kink:
    exactly. i'm also gald you brought up sterilization. i actually am working as an apprentice(thats how i got to start my sleeve, free ink), and i was quite suprised at the amount of prepwork necessary to running a clean shop. Ive found that,on the whole, a good clean tattoo shop practices better sterilization methods than many hospitals(ive worked in some of those too). Many people have this skewed view of a tattoo shop as a dirty hole full of sweaty dudes looky to stab you with a blunted, rusty needle. thankfully, thats just not true anymore. the problem is getting people to realize that.
    as for flash, i only have one thing to say. When someone comes into the shop and says,"i want a cross with some letters around it," i have a hard time not punching them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    yeah, a friend of mine has be a pro tattoo artist for about 3 years now. His first shop was in a pretty rough part of town and all he did day in and day out were names, crosses, initials, things like that. He quit that to go to a place where he made half the money if even just because he was sick the customers and the work. Anyone who's seen good tattoos and badly done tattoos should realize that it's an art form. Most tattoo artists worth a damn do their own art for custom jobs, too. I once saw a guy do free hand (no preliminary layout). That takes bravery for both the artist and the customer!

I have a smallish very jailhouse looking tattoo on my shoulder, I don't plan on getting more any time soon

Thanks
    Im definately planning on tattoes, and I want them all to be my own artwork. my only problem is I dont have any idea what I want yet. P'raps in a few years Ill find the direction to create whatever's going to be on my body for the rest of my life.

As far as tatooing as an artform goes, there's no doubt that its art.
    I have much more respect for tatooists than regular artists because their mediums are people. If we screw up, our canvas doesn't get up and punch us in the mouth and ask for its money back.

Thanks
    Well I have a few drawings on some people I lost touch with and was pretty hesitant thinking some of my doodles would be permanently on their skin... Anyhoo, I don't think I'll ever get one but I have a great respect for the artists. At least the good ones

Has anyone seen the relatively new shows Inked and Miami Ink on TLC ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by egerie
    Well I have a few drawings on some people I lost touch with and was pretty hesitant thinking some of my doodles would be permanently on their skin... Anyhoo, I don't think I'll ever get one but I have a great respect for the artists. At least the good ones

Has anyone seen the relatively new shows Inked and Miami Ink on TLC ?

I know theres a show with carey hart and his "Inkshop"

nevermind me

Thanks
    Only reason I don't have a tattoo already is because I insist on it being my own art, and i can't decide what I want. Thing is I just want 1 tattoo, so I really need to pick.

But yea, I agree tattoo art is a very valid medium. It doesn't get the respect is really deserves.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    I know from personal experience that getting a tattoo you drew yourself is actually not the best way to go about things... I got a drawing that I thought was hot shit when I was 18, but now all I see is this flawed pile of cold dung. I still do lil sketches of what I want, but I take it to my artists and let them make it into a workable tattoo... that way, it's what I want, but it's still their drawing- I find that it's much easier to nitpick on your own stuff than someone else's drawing. but hey, that's just me... I've got a lot of tattoos and my favorites are the ones that someone else designed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    all very interesting.. any process shots of your sleeve?

Thanks
    It is not surprising that in a community filled with creative people quasi everybody insists on his individual motive.
    Your tattoo artists can count themselves lucky for having customers like that, it must really be a joy to develop together the tattoo.
    I'm doing tattoos now for 12 years, and in all that time never even just one guy brought a halfway workable self drawn design... but that's no problem, it's my job. It's getting more difficult if people are not able to explain verbally what they want.
    Besides all artistic ideals it's a service business and has to fill my fridge. So if people ask me exited the 100000th time "do you know from dusk till dawn with Clooney?" I have to accept and respect that it's their biggest wish to feel like an outlaw vampire hunter in the desert.
    I just hate the make-up-artists for doing such a terrible, not-harmonic out-of-flow tribal.
    All I can do is consult them and showing what else is possible on their skin, but it's in the end their decision.

If you want to draw on your own: Please consider that your sheet is flat, but not one area on your body is. What looks great on paper will probably not look that great on your huge mounts of curved muscles (I suppose you have)

Thanks
    stoph- don't know if you were talking to me, but here's a link to one of my half-sleeves, done by my friend jesse smith- link

I have almost a full sleeve on the other arm, dont have pics online... and my calf is sleeved...

whee!