Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sometimes the old ways are the best ways... SW fan art [first timer]

please... I am in need of a critique!

a real critique.

not: "Do more human reference."

we can all agree on that to start with.

I need something more. I'm working on going pro, but I have been forced to train myself. I have been working soley with pencil & paper since my access to a decent art program is iffy at best on account of time and money.

so here goes:

sometimes the old ways are the best ways... SW fan art [first timer]

what do you think? do I have what it takes? or should I hang up my guns now?

Unbridled Vizions... Designs beyond reality :firedevil

My online Images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by D_S_Marx
    what do you think? do I have what it takes? or should I hang up my guns now?
    Well, that's a hard one to answer, because the question is truly quite vague...
    What it takes to do what, exactly?
    I think you definitely have potential, and you definitely have a good eye, but your work is rough, dude. Real rough...

You evidently are already aware that you need to improve your anatomy, so that's gonna slow you up considerably portfolio-wise until you tighten up the basics like keeping the knees at the same basic level on the body, making the general body length proportional, clearly defining shoulders, instead of rounded curves, learning how to draw hips, and where finger knuckles belong...That index finger on her right hand looks downright painful...Ouch!

Her head is too small for that overly long, misshapen body, and the features are too big for it. She shows no real depth to her face, and her left leg and foot are fatter than her right...

Self-taught is hard, but you are to be commended for tackling it.
    Check out www.saveloomis.org, and practice the exercises in Figure Drawing for All it's Worth. Learn the basic proportions of rendered figures.

Avoid drawing any more Furries. They are a plague and a blight upon the Earth...

Take the time to write down your goals as an artist. "Turning Pro," is like saying "I intend to get a really good paying job..." That's nice, but you need to be a LOT more specific in your goals, so that you can then devote your time and energies into studying and practicing those artistic disciplines that will help you get where you want to go. From what I saw on your site, you're heading for a low-quality Anime production studio or a cartoon greeting card company.

I wouldn't hang up the guns, as much as I'd head out to the shooting range to improve your aim and spread pattern...

Check out the Fine Arts, Studies, & Discovering section here at CA. You will learn TONS of good stuff there, particularly the Figure Drawing from the Mind thread...

Good luck. Study your anatomy, work on drapery and values. You have talent, you simply need to hone your technical skills.

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I noticed that her arm is too thin in comparison to her body. Let's face it, she's not anorexic, let her have some muscle. For her line of work she needs it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i think youve got some issues on her left ankle and calf. other than that this is nice for pencils good to see you posting, looking forward to more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It wasn't looking too bad until I scrolled down to the legs. Judging by the shading it looks like you put quite a bit of time into this, all largely to no avail as it is ruined completely by the legs.

It certainly looks like you have something going for you so stuff the art classes, and just draw as much as you can. Hey I never went to some fancy art school and I make a living from drawing without problems.

cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.