Sketchbook: Zebz's Sketchbook: One more update for the road... 1/8/09 - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Zebz's Sketchbook: One more update for the road... 1/8/09

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Break a leg with that portfolio man! I'm sure you'll manage to get in.

Neoknocker

Sketches. Crits are welcomed!

CHOW Time!

“I think you do what you’re destined to do, if you follow your heart and you follow your path, then you’ll always be safe with anything that you do, including art.”
    Serj Tankian -singer with System of a Down-
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck! I am sure you will do fine, just have some faith.

"Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    niiice, good 3 pages of work here Zebz. You have really improved on your first sketchbook.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fuckin´ sweet portrait there!
    i gotta try using a midtone paper, seems so much fun!
    and thanks for the helping words in my sb, you pointed out stuff i really need to start thinking about. i´m glad you did!

peace and love, man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Solid rendering, looks realistic and all that. The ear's a little bit low, though honestly I don't think moving the ear will result in a better picture. Now let's see the crap you're not proud of.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin good. Just wanted to give some encouragement. I want to see a two sittings portrait adding up to about 6 hours of work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey ther',,,,,, took a look here and liked what I saw, three pages had every kind of different medium and approach one can see. I like the charcoal portraits touched with white a lot. they got a real strong sense or mood to them, thanks, I think to the heavy pressure of the black and the small hatching in the white. The look intensive and strong at the same time, which is a hard thing to do I think. When a lot of time goes into something, there is always the risk of it getting too feathery and worked up,,,, not so with these,, so I hope to see more of those. The pencil and ballpoint sp pages are real fun to look at too. I like the way you describe a lot of detail in other areas aside from the face. You could give a certain treatment a try though if you want to..... I like to take a darker grey, really soaker marker with a ball point/pencil drawing and flip it over and fill in the back of the page behind the figure with tone. If you do it like this the marker don't smudge the line. The marker really locks the sketch into place. It allows you to use colored pencils, guache and other markers on the front to a lot of cool effects....anyhoo,,,, try it if you wanna. well thanks fer always coming over to my thread and posting a lot of helpful ideas. peaceow'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    dayam.. sweet portrait dude.. sweeet. BTW where are u?!?!?! time for an update dude..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That portrait is really sweet man...
    keep up the spirit !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update, know what I'm sayin man? Update

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, sb81.gif is freaking awesome!!

Real nice sense of volume, and grasp of form... maybe some tones could go darker and other lighter, or maybe it just needs a little brightness/contrast adjustment, but seriously, this is sweet. The ear may be just a bit low, but it looks good in size and looks nicely drawn.

How did the BFA thing go?

Post more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im really tired but I had to comment on this,
    shit that portrait looks awesome! keep it up Ryan!!

P. S. dude! share the knowlege, do tell your thoughts about how to
    handle lights and dark, this last portraits show a lot of improvement!
    man I would love to study at your school!!!

Last edited by maxetormer; November 18th, 2005 at 01:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ZebzFree's Sketchbook 2: I'm Sorry, I Ain't Dead Yet! *Nov 22*

Wow, I feel like the ghost from Christmas past! Almost a month! I'd better hit up the replies first.

Hurri: I'm still jealous, dude. Stop rubbing it in.

Neonocker, Masterpug: Dudes, I got in! Thanks for the support tho!

Qxzi: Thanks a lot! I like to think that at times I'm moving forward. Haven't felt much of that lately but maybe after I get a nice break. I'm ready for it. This semester is starting to wear on me.

Flaskpost: No prob, bro. Glad you liked the portraits.

The Fat Kid: You must think I'm dead by now, bro. Ridiculous for me to wait it out this long but I'll explain a bit. Not that my excuses are worthy or anything... but... I'm posting... that's gotta say something! lol Thanks for the encouragment. Hopefully I'll still have something to make you proud of me for.

armando: Here's the stuff I ain't proud of. Thanks for the comments.

joeslucher: Me too. I'll try to really get a good life drawing in. I've been sort of half assing myself the past few weeks. Burn out. Eh. Thanks for stoppin' by, tho. I really appreciate the comments and I'm glad you liked the stuff!

codakromek: Man, I felt like such a fan boy when you posted. lol I always love browsing your thread. Thanks a whole bunch for postin' comments and helps. I actually tried your technique you mentioned but I didn't really flesh it out. I just wanted to see how the thing worked with the pencils over it. You'll see it below. You really have to get a lot of marker on the back of that page, huh? I kinda wanna try different colors and such as well. You'll get some experimentation from me on that stuff in the future, I promise. I just have no knowledge of color. I'm just now starting to grasp vale and tones and schtuff. It's ridiculous. I'm glad you enjoyed your flip thru tho. I hope you'll come back!! Thanks again! You rock my ballz off!

bumskee: Sorry. I'm back. Thanks for the propz. You keep pushing and I'll keep trying. Your thread is looking amazing as ususal. Do you think you could take a year or so off so I can catch up?

shyamshiriam: Thanks! It's so cool to have people you look up to posting on your thread.

bRØk3n_sPiRiT: Thanks my sketch group, comrad. It's not good for me to post these crappy doodles after such nice drawings above... lol My stars are going down... lol I'll explain more below...

maxetormer: Hey! Long time no post in my freakin' thread, Max! The travelin' Mexican! I hope I can meet up with you at the next workshop. Those sketchbooks you kept on your adventures we're magnificent, man. I loved the inked enviroz the best. You're comin' into your own, for sure! Remember us when you're makin' the big bucks!! I'll post later on some of the things I learned on valuez and stuff. Pretty much it's all about the highlight, halftone, core shadow, reflected light, and cast shadow. If you can master thes areas you can really create a realistic sort of drawing. Does that make sense? I can explain more... I figured you'd prolly already studied this stuff anyhow.

-----------------------

Ok... so it's been close to a month since my last update and I have so very little to show for it. I told you guys how I had started to get burned out on with my academic stuff kicking my tail. So after I prepped the portfolio for the BFA thing (and like I said earlier, I got in! WooHoo!) everything started slipping downhill. I was just tired and winter depression started creeping in as well, some of you know how that is. Plus this semester is just starting to really wear on me. I'm doing that thing where I start getting bored with my drawings in class and start doodeling all over them. lol Teachers don't appreciate that, mind you. I just want to start drawing fun things again. I've been so focused on studies and such. I want to start applying. The thing was that I just didn't really make the time to continually work... so I've been slacking hard. I'm starting to get back into form tho. I'm hoping winter break will really help. I'm excited to start creating art that I want to. I mean, one more semester of college and I graduate. It's time to get on the ball. I'm taking a computer animation class next semester as well so I'm quite excited about that. I've never done anything in that realm so it'll be neat. Anyways...

So this is a dump of just a mess of doodles I've done in my sketchbooks over the course of the month. I drew so very little. I have some academic stuff I could shoot photos of and post but I'll leave that for another post. This'll do for now. I'm also working on a couple other pieces for Christmas presents for people. I'll post those later as well. My skeleton from anatomy class is about finished too! I'll have to shoot a photo of the lifesize drawing when it's finished. Then I'm burning that freakin' anatomy drawing... lol All bloody semester...eh.... I've learned alot tho. Especially lately. Prolly won't show in my doodles tho. Anyways... on with the crap...

I've got loads of pages of these studies/gestures of anatomy crap in my anatomy sketchbook for class but I won't bother you with any more. Just to give you an idea of the junk I'm doing to learn a bit here and there...

More anatomy class stuff...

Anatomy class stuff... thanks to Lung for doing the hardwork already...

From here the sketches get out of order.... newest to oldest.. sorry... damn my big sketchbook... I can't ever fit the whole pages on my scanner. I just pick the best area and scan that. I haven't been finishing much lately. Just doodle and pick at things from time to time.

Alice and Wonderland inspired... Something like this would make a sweet painting I think. I love that story. BTW, I know his hand is effed up. Eh...

More randomness... tried coda's marker thing... was nice... I'm gonna try it on a real drawing sometime. The little owl dude got cut off but he's quite nice! lol I'm working on coming up with ideas for childrenz bookz. I'm quite excited about those works actually.

Mo Crap

Charcoal enviro from life... first one ever actually... didn't like it at first but it's kind of atmospheric... unfinished, btw. And cut off because of the size...

Random chicks face and some tree God/King thing... dunno... random...

I just like the little dude in love... see... I told you I've only got crapp doodles for you... I'm sorry...

And mo, mo crap...

Ugh... I feel like I just posted a really shameful update. I hope you find something in there to like. Rip me a new one. It's ok. Hope you guys are doing well! Hopefully this is a step in the right direction for keeping this crap on course!! Have a great holiday weekend! Schoolz out!! YEAHHHH!!! God bless.

Ry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, you may think this is a shameless update, but its not. Doesn't matter if you don't like it, there is evident progress, especially on anatomy. I really like the girls face in sb87, love the comic dude's face on the same page. The dude on the left in sb92 shows really nice anatomy on the body too, and so does the sketch on the guy on the bottom right corner of sb85. You're getting a really good grasp of form, its evident even without using tones. And that is a very good sign. Just pump up more work These things in part start to sink in with a degree of repetition I think. Have fun with what you do, don't stress over. If things begin to gloom, drop everything and do something else. Set some time for yourself, fuck drawing. Go out, play some games, do stuff, go camping, hang out with friends.

Congratulations on the BFA approval. Yeah, I know how seasonal and weather changes can affect one's mood, heh. Actually you know, I get depressed during the summer! But only during the nights, not the daytime. Weird huh? Its summertime by the way over here, heh. Its called seasonal affective disorder, or something like that, I think.

I think you're really on track man, just keep it up. Push yourself, work hard, and enjoy stuff.

Happy hollidays
    Cheers.

Martin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff looks slap n dash like the elf faceon the 4th pic and Harry Potter, but there are good ideas too: Tree god, corky kid in love, the chick looking surprised to the right on the owl dude picture. Disney's Alice in Wonderland is cool but the actual book is pretty lame, dated and socially irrelevant. I always smile as I go through this book, and that's a quality that I think is more important and harder to come by than just technical skill.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I see. You moved. Dammit, now I gotta change my sig

Favorites here are the girl in sb85 (even though her eyes don't line up exactly and her mouth is kind of askew--this is one of those drawings that's good enough that stuff like that doesn't really matter) and the profile caveman(?) in sb87.

Hard to usefully critique doodles, in my mind, unless there are persistent weaknesses, and I'm not seeing any here. Might have to look a few more times.

I'm gonna have to study the way you do eyes. You've got real thickness and form to the eyelids, something i've found difficult to pull off.

Keep posting, I'll be back. Congrats on the BFA!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice man...more crap pls
    the girl's face in 6th sketch is really nice...r u going to work more on her?

keep updating

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    exelent man!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spent most of my night noodling around CA, postin' on people's threads and such. But I knew I needed to get SOME drawing in. I tried at the tablet and failed. I can't draw with that thing. lol It just gets too sloppy to fast. So I banged out some of these while watching Chasing Amy. Nothing big. Just another sketchy page for the dump. Wanted to redeem myself. I think my sloppy approach on the dude kind of worked out in my favor. I'll probably noodle at the renders on some of these more but it's not likely I'll post any of those results. Story of my life.

bRØk3n_sPiRiT: Thanks a lot for all the props and pushing. What's a bud for?! I know I've been making some strides... I just haven't been doing enough. The anatomy is improving, I can see it too and it makes me want to draw more to show it off. I just lack good poses and interesting compositions. I have a weak design sense I think. I never know how to create outfits or whatever. I just start randomly adding crap. It sucks. Anyhow, I do like the lined guy in sketch sb85 on the right bottom corner... there's a bit more of him that got cut off. I did that thing where you don't pick your pencil up off the paper and just draw the whole thing, one shot. Then I went in and pulled out some areas with darks. I dunno. There's an energy when ya do that, y'know? It gives it some fluidity. I kind of did that with the guy in the sketch I posted above. Anyhow... thanks for the encouragment. Together we'll survive this artist's valley! Thanks for the help.

Armando: I agree with everything you said. I've never read the book but I always loved the movie. I do draw very slap dash as you said. Sometimes I'm just hacking at the paper with no thoughts at all. Dangerous. You can always tell when I'm confident with what I'm doing. I have a vision ususally then. Heh. I'm glad you like my book, tho. It means a lot.

Max1975: I'm glad you dropped in, dude. Good to have ya! Thanks for the comments and such. You keep your work up too, ok? I'll be on ya to do so!!!

Shyamshiriam: If you think I should than I will! lol Thanks for the comments, bro.

LiamC: Thanks... the almighty Liam has spoken!

'Till next time... keep the critz and comments coming. God bless!!

Ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lot of attitude in your sketches, man ! Can't really crit, just say: POST MORE !

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I enloyed googling through your sketchbook a lot. The thing that I envy about your style of producing your pages is the way one can see how there's still great sense of composition to them even though they're are mixture of studies. I guess from them one can see how your thoughts just wander around on your pages. Of course your pages wouldn't be so enjoyable to watch if the drawings were shitty, which in your case is not by far the truth. Tonality, shading and basicly everything I see here inspires me to work harder. I agree with that fat kid about the five stars.

Last edited by Mikko Voipio; November 29th, 2005 at 02:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey zeb!
    Just went through the whole sb and I gotta say there is some really amazing and creative work going on here! I like your rendering style and how diligently you can work on a single page.
    The anatomy studies all look great! What do you use for reference?
    I wish you'd post more colour stuff, post the digi stuff anyway, even if you dont like it, maybe we can help you out!

Oh and I didnt have time to check everyone's comments, so I dont know if its been mentioned, but when I work in my 11x14 sketchbook, I just scan it in two sections then put them together in PS to for the full page.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mn... wows everything going... Im glad I stopped in here.. im really impressed with yesterdays post.. you have alot of cool things going on there... I like the way you sketch with pen... i think you should go back to adding some of that nice color to these like you did in some earlier posts... it brings alot of the more "boring" drawings to life.. maybe just leave the ones you like in b&w.. dunno.. just and idea.. keep up the good work man... your SB here actually got me motivated to draw today.. for the first time in like TWO WEEKS!!!!

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zeb! You're back! Congrats for your entry in FA. I'll post soon. I've been posting on the CHOW. And It's been my weekly exercise.

Welcome back man!

Neoknocker

Sketches. Crits are welcomed!

CHOW Time!

“I think you do what you’re destined to do, if you follow your heart and you follow your path, then you’ll always be safe with anything that you do, including art.”
    Serj Tankian -singer with System of a Down-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, what a surprise!
    you rock!!
    great rendering skills, you've got a great sense of contrast!
    great stuff.
    Now just try to be less hesitant in your sketches...be more confident in your linework, you got what it takes, just cut the lines up and dont look back.
    you'll work much faster that way and your drawings will be more fluid.
    Try using a brush to practice!
    your' great man.
    Keep it up!!

-----------------------------------------------
    JEIK'S PORTFOLIO
    http://jeik.levinux.org/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love all these new updates zeb, all of them are excellent and im glad
    your back

Love the anatomy sketchs, like the little notes with them, they look well
    done and plz do some more

Love the pencil technique and shading, the vaules arent that bad too !
    The out of your head pics are good and you have a good imagination.
    How about a lick of paint? This will probadly help you alot.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ZebzFree, SUP! good to se you post again.. hehe don't slack off tooo much. nice sketches as usual and congrats on BFA!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On that warrior dude, really like his ribcage and abs. But his left arm (our left, his right) seems kinda flat, maybe because of the way he's holding it, or maybe there's just too much contrast with that very 3D-looking shoulder pad. You might also wanna be a little more careful with eye placement and angles.

Oh, his nose is awesome. You've really got the form there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definately time for an update... lemme hit up this comments first.

Alday J: Attitude? Thanks, man. I'll try and keep it up.

Placeboast: Wow, five stars? Not in my dreams. Thanks a lot for 'em tho, man. I hope I continue to live up to your expectations. And yea, I do wander and doodle a lot. I like it tho too. It gives me something interesting to look at as well. Heh. Sometimes I feel bad that I don't get enough finished work done tho. I spend so much time filling up these sketchbook pages. lol Maybe I'll just put my sketchbook up on a pedistol in a gallery when it's time to have a show. People always seem to be interested to thumb through it. Heh. But thanks for the comments, man. It encourages me to keep on. You do the same!!

Fat Kid: Thanks, dude. I think the antaomy class has REALLY helped me a ton. I still have tons to learn about our anatomy but this was at least a huge step in the right direction. I'm glad you're seeing improvment as well. I think I'm starting to again which makes me feel better. Keep workin' hard, ok? Thanks again for all the kind words.

SirGreenSock: Thanks! Glad you liked it! I love to really render pages out if I have the time. Rendering it prolly my favorite past time. lol I actually waste way to much time playing with renderings and such. Makes for less drawings really. Oh well. As for the anatomy refz, I use a lot of stuff. Some of the drawings are from live models, some are from books and some from Lung Bug or Kevin Chen drawings. I've got a slew of anatomy books but I'd say the one I used most for class was "Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist" by Peck. Bridgman's book is nice too but I haven't studies outta it yet. Planes... it all comes down to planes.

You're right about the color stuff too. I'll start playin' and see what I come up with. I'll post my crapz. I just rarely have the patience to sit with it for any length of time. During the break and I'll try and take the time to do it. I need it. I appreciate the offer!!

And yea, the scanning the whole page thing... I figured I could do that... but... I'm too lazy and can't be bothered. It's a pity... I loose so much of the image of those full page splash renders, y'know? You'll really loose some stuff in this next update. Ugh. Thanks again for all the help! Stop in again, ok?! Keep crankin' out that hot shtuff in your thread as well!!

Vigostar: I motivated someone! Yea! As for the pre colored pages I had earlier in the thread, I spattered some inks down on a few pages for future usage so be lookin' out for 'em! I should have s'more for ya soon!! I know I need more color up in here. It's gettin' kind of dark and smudgy these days. Thanks!!

Neonocker: I'll be waitin'!!

JEIK: Hey, bro, thanks a lot. I'm starting to get a better grasp on value and rendering than I ever have before, you're right. It's definately improving. My lines are where I need the help now. Lets see what we can do about that, shall we? I'll mind your advice and give my brush pen a good dust off. Hopefulyl I'll find the time to dabble in some paints soon too. Love your thread as well, mate. Keep it comin'!!!!

Qxzi: I'm afraid of paint! But I need to get to work on some soon... I promise! Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you like the new stuff. Hopefully this update you'll like as well!! Most of this crap is outta my head. A dude told me today that he thinks I'm cracked out and on drugs to think of this stuff. He should take a visit to CA.org and than he'll see I ain't as warped as he thought! lol I wish I had the imagination some of ya'll do.

Bumskee: Yo, yo, yo. Thanks for the comments and congratz. BFA is almost down. One more semester. I don't think I'll bother with an MFA. I already feel like I've spent a load of cash on stuff I could have done on my own. lol Not that I didn't gain a lot from it... but you know what I mean. I'm taking computer animation for the first time next semester so we'll see how I like that. Thanks for stoppin' in.

Max1979: You're right. 'Nuff said. Thanks, man. I didn't really finish that bad boy. But do you know WHY I nailed the nose? Because those basic values are there, the highlight, coreshadow, reflected light and cast shadow. Remember, you've gotta have those all together to make a convincing 3D object. That's why so many other places fall flat. I'm a slacker. More to come. You keep it up too, mate!

Ok. Thanks again for the stars and for the comments and critz. Ya'll are the greatest!! The semester is winding down to an end (I'm in the midst of finals week now) and I haven't had much time for drawing. I had to fill my anatomy sketchbook for class (UGH), finish my anatomy drawing, write a 12 page paper, prep a presentation, prepare a "fake" (don't tell my teacher lol) professional portfolio, etc. So I've just got a quick lil update for ya'll. I'm excited to get some hardcore work in during the Winter break, including getting a website up finally. I'm such a slacker. I was going through my old sketchbooks tonight and I saw a quote I wrote down from Rusty last year on the drawing process he uses. Something like, "Lay down the lines and contour first and from than it's just how you view the form." I think I'm starting to understand what he meant by that. Good stuff. Anyhow... here's the update. Sorry for the crappy scans and bad digi picz. Pisses me off how the scanner blurs all my strokes and marks... grrr..... maybe I'll post some details.

Remember the Elephant with the trumpet boy? I'm workin' up a storybook with them and here's some concept drawings of the evil sideshow circus ring leader dude. Damn my small scanner. Ya'll only get a portion of the page. Sorry. BTW, more cartoonier work may be coming. I'm trying to decide which direction to move and market myself. I dunno. I'm so freakin' torn. I don't want to paint myself into any corners. I already hate that some people label me because of my art. Grr. Frustration abounds. I talk too much. Sorry. lol Hey, let me know what you think of these and which aspects appeal to you, etc. I don't know what I like best. Ok. Image. Post. lol

Was feelin' like I sucked really hard recently after some critiques so I did my typical sketchbook over render one page binge to prove to myself that I can draw decently. lol I feel better now. Even tho I didn't finish it. Again, you're missin' SOO much of this image. Sorry. I tried to just crop where I could.

Doodles

Some digi picz of that lifesize anatomy drawing I did for Anatomy drawing class this semester. I'm 6 feet tall and this thing is like at least a foot taller than me. I didn't work on this nearly as hard as I should have. I kind of screwed around on it during class and did most of the work two nights when I came in and did the bones one night for like 3 hours and then came in another night and wrapped it up in another 3 or so. The perspective seems off in the pics because it was leaning. Sorry. There are some close ups too. Hope you like. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it now. lol Maybe Mom can hang it on the fridge.

Thanks again for everything! I'll try and update again soon! Best of luck to all of ya'll who are also enduring the end of semester craziness!!! Take care and God bless.

Ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. That's some seriously presentable sketching you've got there. Gonna study your shading a bit (I replied to your comment re: painting in my thread, the gist: i don't get it). The terms you use here (core shadow, reflected light, etc.) and the nose example will give me a good starting point, gonna have to figure out how this stuff works in a color context. There's gotta be a tutorial around here somewhere, so I'll look for that.

Looking for something to usefully criticize here...eh...I could pick on your uneven eyes but I've already mentioned that and honestly, they don't much bother me. I think I'm gonna need to reorient my brain towards substantive rather than technical critiquing if I'm gonna be much use to you...will get right on that and stop back here in a bit.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.