Sketchbook: Zebz's Sketchbook: One more update for the road... 1/8/09 - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Zebz's Sketchbook: One more update for the road... 1/8/09

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey zebzfree! nice stuff here. that last vine charcoal drawing is nice. and your sketchbook pages are great too. keep drawing with those straight lines! they're great for measuring. it keeps shapes relative to each other.

here's a quick rundown on drawing figures from your head.
    if you are trying to get better at drawing the figure out of your head, just build the figure with basic forms. do lots of gesture drawings to get the feel of the rhythm of the body. rhythms of the whole whole figure/pose, then the rhythms of the muscles within that figure. then memorize basic proportions, build with cylinders, blocks, spheres, cones. the key to making these things sing though, is perspective. perspective is the most overlooked thing in drawing figures out of your head. if you draw every figure like it was a building (in perspective), then you will have no trouble drawing them from your head. just remember your basic forms.
    here's the thing, if you just memorize lines/contours of the figure, you can't move the figure around 3 dimensionally in of your head. if you memorize lines, then you are just recalling shapes/lines that you've drawn from a regular eye level---this is very limiting when drawing out of your head. if you think of movie costume designer sketches---most draw their costumed figures very frontal/flat, because they are only looking at silohuettes and shapes). Like I said, this is limiting because they memorized one basic view.
    Remember, everything you see conforms to the laws of perpective, including figures.
    try to think: Space, Form, Light.
    i remember iain mccaig saying that he would draw the perpective plane(the Space) that his character is going to stand on, then draw from the feet up to the head (like an architect builds a building, from the ground up). it makes sure that your character is planted. then he'll figure out the Forms. and then once he knows the landscape of the Forms) he's able to light the face by their planes (walls of the building.)
    Also remember that drawing is drawing. Drawing architecture in perspective is like drawing people in perpective. Complex forms are complex forms no matter how massive or tiny. And to draw a complex form you must understand the what basic shapes and forms it is composed of.
    Learning to draw is more about learning to see.
    I hope this helps and I hope I wasn't too confusing. Good luck!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chris is right on. Great post, man.

I actually just came to this realization not too long ago. I am portrait artist for the most part, so I just have to rely on my eyes either for reference or for doing them from life. I always struggled with any type of concept art, but the other day I had a *bing* light bulb come on while I was sketching and before I knew it I was sketching faces from my head left and right. I will post some in a few....right now I am working on more portraits, though.

Anyway, sorry to hijack you, my friend...just getting into the conversation. Keep rockin, Zebz.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zebz hey, nice stuff you got here : )
    I really dont know what to crit, except just request, I wanna see more color stuff from you. You have some nice sketches with color splashes near the beggining but it would be cool to see some more defined stuff with color, which you have some already, but I'd like to see more. Also more full-finished pieces.
    The only crit is that sometimes a few features on the faces for example look slightly misplaced, but the progress shows as you post more and more pages, so keep it up!

Keep up the good work, and work hard! Which I can see you are doing : P Push yourself.

Cheers mate, I like the ape at the beggining and how you render a lot of your figures.

C ya.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uh... I just replied to all the comments and then I freakin' lost all of it. That was a mouthful too. I'll just update. Forgive me for not replying. I will tho. The comments and critz are very much appreciated.

Anatomy stuff... some of these pages are just rough crap. I try to sketch quickly while my teacher is speaking and sometimes we have a model, sometimes I'm just drawing from my book. I have quite a few pages of this sort of crap but they mostly all look something like this. I'll post more of the studies as I complete them.

Well... lost interest and stopped rendering... I ususally go back and forth when I just feel like rendering I go back to one of these sort of drawings to pick away at it a bit. It's fun but I eventually loose steam. We'll see if I finish this up. Still loads to do on it.

Faces from head... just tried to use lines. Tried to vary 'em a bit too.

Tried some understructure stuff with prismas and then pencil over... the other ink over... of course just quicks and doodles.

Again with the basic construction and figures in perspective. Something I'm trying to pay more attention to now. Definately adds some dynamics.

Again with the figure/perspective... just not as exagerated... the unfinished chick is from a photo ref.

Bad scan but something I'm working on. Like most of these we're missing a good part of the image because my SB is too large for the scanner. Pretty happy with how this is comin' along tho. Probably will loose steam as usual tho. lol Started out as a figure in perspective thing again with basic construction stuff.

Unfinished Lipschitz portrait from Modern Art Hist. class while watching one of his videos. The thumnail stuff is for a color toony illustration I'm gonna start workin' on.

Doodles in my small sketchbook... inaccuarte but quick just laying down marker and ink for the heck of it. Thought they had a nice feel to 'em.

Drapery/Value study from class. Charcoal.

Composition/Value type study of Carivaggio's Crucifiction of St. Peter. Learned more than I thought I would from this. Composition IS important!

More later. I'll comment on everyone's replies later as well. Thanks, again everyone. You make my world go round... or somethin'.
    ~Ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SHIT man!! this last bach is reallllllYYYYYYY asum!
    The drapery study is looking very nice and the
    Carivaggio compo study is very nicely done too,
    I specialy like this one:

good sence of deep my friend
    http://ryanbowlin.com/Sketchbook/sb60.gif

I would like to give some critics but imo your doing
    all the right things, anatomy, compostion, perspective
    imagination doodles, just keep on churning out the skechs
    at this rate man, dont losse the momentum, keep pushing it!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, I'll get at those replies...

LiquidSpider: Gotta maintain that discipline man! Get back on the horse and get back into your peak drawin' form, bro! Thanks for the props and critz. As for school's final project, yea, I've got some stuff. I have to turn in a portfolio in order to get a BFA instead of a BA. I don't think I'll have a problem with that tho. There are some pretty crappy artists that get into it. The other thing, which I'm excited about, is the Senior show we have at the end fo the year. Like I get to submit some personal work and their gonna show it. That's mandatory but I'm pumped about having some finished stuff to finally prop up for the masses. I've been working on thumbs and such for that but I don't have my ideas clearly portrayed yet but ya'll will see bits of that in time. Thanks again.

Van: Thanks, it's something you have to learn isn't it? It's like you start off drawing too tight and learn to loosen up and now I'm trying to tighten up again but keep that loose quality. lol Art is so strange. And NP for the hijack. Always up for convo and you bumped me anyhow. lol

Armando: Thanks, bro. U2.

PickleYum: Yea, definately need to work on faces. Thanks!

JeffZNY: Yea, Coldplay was incredible. Glad to hear someone else enjoyed the show as well! Hope U2 will rock even harder! I never got into either of those bands until I saw them live on TV and was blown away. That new Coldplay CD is always in rotation for me. I listen to so many different things, it's ridiculous. Some crap people on here would dig but I listen from everything from techno, to rock, to indie, to folk, you name it. Except country... not too many country things goin' on. Anyhow... thanks for the comments and critz. Face problems. I get that one a lot. lol

JackalAnubis: Thanks for stoppin' in! I really appreciate the comments and critz. I'll try and take the the shading into account next time. You keep your stuff kickin' too! I like your thread a lot.

Bumskee: You know how much I love your thread. Your SB just rocks, bro. Go see a live show, man, for real! It changes the way you listen to music. Honestly. It's good stuff. Thanks for the critz too. That foot is lost. Hard to do with just straight lines. lol Vine charcoal is like willow, only not as dark of a line. Good for understructure type stuff. It's alright.

Chris Ocampo: First, thanks a ton for taking the time to post in my SB, man. I'm a big fan of yours. Loads of inspiration over there, for sure. Hopefully my lines will be as accurate and fluid as yours. You never cease to impress. Your advice will definately be taken and hopefully you can see I'm already trying work it into my stuff. I understand what you're saying for the most part. Get back to basics. Thanks for the help. I'll be rereading that post for a long time.

bRØk3n_sPiRiT: I'll keep pushin' if you promise to do the same, man. Thanks for the comments. I definately need to try and finish more stuff and maintain that intensity. It just takes sooooo long for me to render.It looks good but often takes forever. I need to speed it up. I'm workin' on that. Lots to work on overall, eh? Dont' we all. You keep it up too. Thanks for takin' the time to post.

Maxetormer: I almost decided to go to Prague, bro. But then I found out I had something already scheduled. Grr. Oh well. Next time. Thanks for the post. I'm trying my best to keep pushin'. Lots to work on. The perspective stuff seems to be breathing some life into my work. I'm quite pleased with the results of my studies. My anatomy class is paying off too. I'm drawing the figure a bit different now, it's good good stuff. Glad you're likin' the progress, my man! Now keep yours up!

There... mouthful. Life is good. Things are busy. A few grad students have been kind enough to sort of offer to take me under their wing to help me with my work. I guess they see some promise in me or something. One guy teaches figure drawing at a local community college. Their trying to get me painting as well. We'll see! Hope everything's great with you guys! Thanks for the posts and takin' the time to help a crappy artist out! Later.

~ Ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zebs,
    Really good work. I got to work from books for anatomy and I have to come to the conclusion that having a 3d model in front of me might be way better and really a good way to learn. Take advantage of this.

Later man.

Neoknocker

Sketches. Crits are welcomed!

CHOW Time!

“I think you do what you’re destined to do, if you follow your heart and you follow your path, then you’ll always be safe with anything that you do, including art.”
    Serj Tankian -singer with System of a Down-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Neoknocker: Thanks for the post. Yea, the model is helpful for learning quickly with instruction. I'm glad I have the opportunity to use it.

I've got some other sketches but I'm tired and don't wanna scan. Someone mentioned that I should try the COW thing so I took a go at this weeks design, a "shit eater". I played it off the wormy guy I threw in last post (the one with the girl feeding the little creature on the worm dude's head). I just sketched it up with a ballpoint pen and then photoshoped some color on it. Hope ya'll like it. More next time. G'nite.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice looking shiteater you got there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, nice COW entry.
    I see you're doing some anatomy studies, very cool, what you could do in order to learn more is do a specific anatomy studies (rib-cage, pelvis, deltoids, pectoralis) and do a simple gestures applying what you just do, not a bigass drawing, just a little one featuring the study and the most important things you learned about, like insertion points, etc.
    I never dare to copy caravaggio, to hot for me. Maybe you can post a bigger version.
    Anyways, keep it up with anatomy and study.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dam you upload fast! You're getting me motivated to cut the lazzyness and upload more. Great to see you joining the cow! Only crit is that he could have some more extreme highlights, perhaps around the face and the belly, a few white speculars. Maybe even at the toungue to show that its a wet/glossy surface.
    The front view skull on sb53 looks a bit asymetrical... take a look at that. The studies are looking great and the expressions on the faces are great. Try to do more skull studies but not only front and side views, do some 3/4 views, some different angles, and such, try to set up a ball and plane and construct the skull on it, from any angle.
    The lighting on sb60 looks a bit flat, I see you put a cast shadow behind the girl, which would mean there's a light source in front of her. If that's the case, her back and the back of her arms should be in shadows and the cast shadow on the ground should be darker. Unless you're going for a more ambience lighting instead of a direct one. Still, some more darker areas could be used, everything around her hand/armband area looks at the same tone, if you darken the big creature and lighten the little guy it could pop out more.
    Also, more of a suggestion than a crit, a lot of your scans look kinda gray, it wouldn't hurt to adjust the brightness/contrast in photoshop a bit to pop out the values a bit more.
    Keep up the good work, you're really working on this and now I'm motivated to crank things up too! Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice COW. My only crit is experiment with differing faces more often. A lot of your faces look the same while the body changes. Have fun with extreme features! Good show, Zebz...hopefully I'll be able to join you shortly with some PS doodles...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice ones !!!!

i like em all !! btw. thanks for the kind words!!

cheers

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lotsa cool stuff on the new updates. I wish I was better so I could swipe more ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your skull and planes of the face study stand out to me as something you really took your time on to create an accurate representation of your reference. However, I don't really see this time and work translate very well into the rest of your work, try to apply knowledge from those nice studies you've done more directly into your work. Perhaps try to draw a skeleton warrior withe a bare skull and reaffirm your skill? Maybe even try drawing a skull then laying in the eyes, muscle and skin? Either way, It is still nice to see someone putting a large amount of effort into their book. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice 'book here. My only comment would be to watch the neck on some of your more realisticly drawn characters. Their heads don't seem to meet with the neck quite as well as they should. You have gotten much better about it in your recent stuff, but there are still traces every once and a while. I think the jaw-line is just in an akward place. Still, terrific pen and pencil work. I am thoroughly impressed (yes, fall to my power as I stroke your ego, MUAHAHAHAHAHA!). Have a good one!

"Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool Sketchbook !
    Keep posting !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pfew. you can almost smell that thing. Good work man. FYI the portrait is brought.

Neoknocker

Sketches. Crits are welcomed!

CHOW Time!

“I think you do what you’re destined to do, if you follow your heart and you follow your path, then you’ll always be safe with anything that you do, including art.”
    Serj Tankian -singer with System of a Down-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey zebs. it's looking good. it does add a whole new dimension to your drawings. they seems like they are grounded and not floating like some of the previous ones. keep on going, i see that you will gain a lot from it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really great coloring on that last one! Looks amazing.
    Totally sweet updates mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not related to art, but i saw U2 at the garden last night. great friggin' show...you'll have a blast in december. love the shit eater too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I'm liking this last one.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, boat loads of replies! Thanks, everyone! All the critz and comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks for contributin' to the growth.

Nutter: I'm a big fan of your sketchbook, man. Thanks for postin' over here. Glad you like the creature. I don't do 'em often.

fat kid: Thanks, man. I'm trying my best to practice what I preach but still I feel like quite the freakin' slacker. Oh well. I'm growing into it. Some of these guys are just mad dogs about their drawing/work ethics. I'm getting better. Hopefully I'll be more consitent in the future. Take 'er easy.

Diego: Thanks for the post. The reason I'm doing single bones and stuff is because in our anatomy class that's what's required. I'm actually quite a bit behind on that crap too. I have a midterm next week and I have to draw the entire skeleton in three different poses from memory and label it. I think I'll be ok tho. Muscles are comin' next half of the semester. We've got these huge life size figures of skeletons were workin' on. I'll have to take a pic and post it. But yea, don't worry all the stuff your talkin' bout will be coming soon. Just let me get through some of thist stuff. I bought Bridgman's as well so hopefully I'll get my head around some structure because more and more I'm realizing I know jack. Eh. Long reply. Sorry. Hope to see you again!

bro3ken spirit: I agree with all your critz and thank you very much for them! Always great to have some help! That's why I post! As for the paints, yea, did those up quick, like 20 minutes or so. I need to spend a good amout of time on a repaint because I really like him. The inks were nice... better in real life tho. Thanks for your suggestions! The skulls were just quick doodles as my teacher was explaining. Didn't care much abour proportions... I'll work at it. And the shadows... yea, I think I just learned to shade this week. lol I'm no where near finished with that image either. So it's lacking alot. Prolly won't finish it tho. Just another half arsed page in my sketchbook! Glad I could encourage you tho!

Teigrob: If it isn't one of the most fluidly awesome artists on CA! Welcome! Thanks for the props and advice. I know I'm lacking so hard in that area. I just need to really dedicate some time. I'm just not trying enough at that. Too many mindless doodles. Sorry! Thanks tho!

Hurri: Thanks! You rock!

Armando: Security!! SECURITY!!! You'll get there, man. Keep it up.

Mr. Blonde: Hey, love your stuff, dude. Thanks for honorin' me with some critz! All the stuff your talkin' about is exactly right. I sort of started realizing some of these shortcomings the past week ago when I started working on a portrait for a class. After all this crappy SPs and stuff I'm starting to see how crappy I actually am and how little I know. I definately plan on heeding at advice. Thanks.

MasterPug: More to work on, as ususal. Glad you like the SB tho. Keep it cookin' in yours too!

ShyamShirium: I bow before you! Thanks for daring to put words in here with a humble wannabe! I really look up to your stuff, man. Thanks for the daily inspiration.

Neonocker: I'll have to swing by!

chris ocampo: I've neglected it a bit recently but it definately has added something. Thanks for the tips. Your advice is always appreciated.

Flaskpost: Hopefully the re-paint of it will be more to howl about! Thanks for stoppin' by, man. I can always count on my regulars!

JeffZNY: So very envious! I can't wait, man. Thanks for gettin' my hopes and dreams all warmed up! I've been dying to see U2 life for quite a few years now. I can hardly cage my enthusiasm! Hope the night was one you'll remember for years to come!

Bojee: Wow! I really love your work! Thanks for the post! Glad you like it.

Anyhow, life is good. School is busy and kickin' my tail. Girlfriend is fantastic, Cardinals are kickin' in the playoffs, Hockey is back, great artists are all around, the list goes on. I'm so flippin' happy. Ok... now for the art. Not a great update but just some of the many random doodles in my SB and such. Now I'm posting out of order (saved my stuff wrong) but whatever. Hope ya'll like 'em.

Been really influenced by cartoonier work lately. Doodlebug's sketchbook really uped my interest in that, first in a long while. When I started drawing as a kid it was always about cartoons and I seem to think that if I revert back to those styles I can not do much wrong. It's what I know. And my other training has helped that style form into others. I've kind of been working on creating a style of cartooning. Not there yet. Started this one with non-photo blue lead and then inked over with ballpoint. I hate how scanner's blur an image. Those lines are crisp and quite nice. I'll prolly paint it up a bit and make it more a finished image. For some reason, children's book type illustrations just appeal to me quite a bit. But I never do enough. We'll see. Hope ya'll like. I'm quite happy with it so far.

Anatomy, bones. As ususal. I'm behind. I've got some others but do you really care to see this crap?

I've always got a page that I'm rendering the crap out of when I'm not doodlin' on the others. This was this weeks render when bored drawing. lol Started out as an idea about a large piece I thought of about some stuff that happened earlier this year but ended up losing interest and doodling. I kept the sketch of the girl because I thought it was quite nice. She's done partially from photo ref. I'm sure there's some subliminal feelings in here but I'm not 100% what they mean. More of my pencil renders tho. Yum.

Doodles

Quick drawing of this dude sleeping at school from life. Doodle, doodle.

Toony doodles. Just trying to get a feel for the blue pencil and inks. Workin' out some ideas.

Did this quick sketch while watching National Treasure for the first time. That movie is no where near as good as everyone said it was. Predictable. Not impressed. But the drawing was a shot at doing something more sketchy. Jet black pencil. Eh. We'll see if I can do something better...

More doodles.... marker and ballpoint...

And a figure from drawing class... from life... 18 X 24.... I need to draw more from life. I'm starting to get faster tho. That's good I think.

There ya go! Not a great update but and update none the less. Hope you guys find something to like in this pile 'o crap. 'Till next time. I'm out. God bless.

Ry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lifedrawing is awesome man! Your faces are strong! I was diggin' on the page with just faces.

Crit: Do more hands... you tend to draw them out as fists... Like Dan Milligan said in his thread, the hands are a great tool for an artist, don't be afraid to draw them!
    I'm struggling with hands myself..hehe.. probably why I'm looking at them in every SB I visit.. hehe

peace

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DCept: Thanks for the comments, man. I appreciate the encouragment. I've been feeling like my faces are utter crap lately. I feel like I know way to little. I'm workin' on it tho. I do appreciate the props tho. Glad you enjoyed look thru my book tho. I need to cruise on over to yours and issue some textual goodness for you as well. And yea, hands are important and always so very difficult. Hands are a' comin' my friend. I'll try and get some studies in for ya. Thanks again for stoppin' by.

Started the color work on the elephant boy sketch. Photoshop. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to digital color or color in general but I figure there's no way around it. I've just gotta work at it. So far so good. But I'm stoppin' for tonight. Cardinal's are getting ready to face the Padre's so I'm gonna tune into that and doodle in the SB for the rest of the evening. Comments and critz are appreciated as they always are. Direction on this would be helpful. Thanks everyone. Oh, btw, there will be a shadow/ground beneath him and a hint at a background... just not there yet. Not sure what I want really.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    holy ... you are a drawing machine.. so much dedication.. pencil working nicely, anatomy studies are slick! it will all add up in near future, good going. Elephant and the trumpet boy is very nice dude. especially the boy, nice expression and STYLE!. As for colour, I am also a nooob, but my advice would be to use some bold colours, hit it hard, you know like rich bold thick colours. I don't think you need to worry too much about giving it so much form. lookforward to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi man, stuff is looking good! I need to go a bit more crazy with the coloring myself - play like a madman with the layers, its fun and you can always remove them if the elephant ends up a bit too pink hehe. Keep it dude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa! Stars! Made my freakin' day! Thanks, guys! I don't have anything uploaded to my server, tho I did draw a bit today, I just wanted to say thanks. I'll post something in the next couple of days.

bumskee: Machine? Hardly. Thanks for making me feel like I'm working slightly hard. lol I'll keep workin' on the paint up. I think it's about time I start cranking out some more finished sort of work. Thanks, bro. You keep your rockin' as well.

Fellah: Thanks! I intend to really mess with it and adjust colors and just wack the crap outta it. We'll see what my experimentation gets me! Thanks for the post!

And BTW, GO CARDINALS! Another rematch with the Astros? Should be a good one! I'd really like to see the Angels whoop up on the Yanks too. Altho, I'd really love to see the cards destroy the Yanks in the World Series. I'm puttin' my money on a Chicago/St. Louis World Series tho. I have a faint feeling that I shouldn't be mixing my sports and my art thread. Hope ya'll don't hate on my fanboyness to much. Love all around. Thanks again. God bless.

Ryan

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff that cartoon is great. add some more color there.. some nice bright colors on the kids shirt.. stuff is looking great! keep it up!

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, u can count on me!
    Your life drawings are kickin´ ass, dood!
    And that elephant is too cool man.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.