Sketchbook: Zebz's Sketchbook: One more update for the road... 1/8/09 - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice textures on the last one! Nice colors too.
    But I think that there´s a bit too many strong highlights.

Looks great anyway! Keep rockin´ that wacom!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flakpost: Thanks, bro. Yea, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to the tablet. But it is fun to screw around with. I'd like to get better so I guess I've got to force myself to experiment with it. I think I lack patience tho. I need to really work my way through these slower. Thanks for the comments. I'll watch the highlights next time.

Here's another speedy... kind of trying something different and a different brush. I can't really draw well with the tablet... maybe I should try to paint using a scanned underpainting/sketch first. We'll see. Just more crap to add to the pile. Not so good... I like the other one better. Alright. I'll shut up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    dude.. awsome stuff... your traditional stuffs are really crazy.. all those renderings and ideas.. the head studies look amazing. Not too sure about digital stuff though it looks a bit rushed.. meh still good.

yeah, would have been good if you were in Sydney.. hehe we could all go for some sketching..

look forward to seeing more dude!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should have made the anatomy pictures a little bigger, I was trying to read the notes but couldn't. I assume placing the eyes spaced far apart is a stylistic choice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bumskee: Thanks for the post, man! Thanks for the compliments. I'm trying to do something decent. You're right about the paints. Their rushed for sure. I don't seem to have the same amount of patience that I have with my traditional stuff when it comes to the tablet. I usually get bored. I'm gonna try and work on that tho. I need to develop tablet skills as well. Thanks again for the post! It means a ton coming from such a great artist as yourself! And yea, I wish I was in Sydney with a dozen art friends as devoted as I want to be. It's gotta be inspiring, feeding offa one another and stuff. I'm jealous.

armando: Sorry I didn't scan those larger. I was just trying to give a sense of what I was doing. I didn't think anyone really cared to see my notes. I'll try and take that into account the next time. And yea, I need to watch the eye thing. It's something I've sort of just been seeing coming out in my work... I think I'm over correcting for placing so many of the features close to the center. Thanks for the crit. I'll try and correct myself!

Ok... so I had this really dynamic dragon image in my head for the past couple o' days and I could draw it traditionally (pencil/paper) but I can't draw very well with my tablet. So after about 15 minutes of trying to get the image I wanted to paint I settled for something less dynamic which is ok. I just need to focus on a more finished image. I can't bite off more than I can chew with the tablet. I do that too often. So here's a WIP of something I'm hoping to wrap up in a couple of days. We'll see. I started on it and about 20 minutes in my girlfriend showed up so we watched a movie instead. And now it's 2:43 AM and I have to sleep... work tomorrow... so here's the "so far". Look for an update on this guy in the coming days... God willing I'm not a lazy boy. Critz and comments appreciated. BTW, I know it doesn't look like a dragon... more like a dino. Eh... I'm just learning how to use the tablet people! lol We'll see what I can do about that. Thanks for lookin'!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff going on here. Look forward to seeing more. You already got a lot of nice crits, so ill just say keep rocking dude

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work man really, youre getting a shitload of awesome crits so i dont have much else to add, i did notice tho that this life drawing http://ryanbowlin.com/Sketchbook/sb28.gif
    the face to me looks kind off i think the lips are out of perspective and the nose looks out of proportion or something, not too sure...
    and i think you should define the connection between the lower and upper legs by bringing the knees forward more and making sure that the parts of the leg (the lower leg) closer to us stick out more and the upper part of the leg which is away from us recedes more to give it depth...hope that helps!
    cheers for the comment
    and hope to see more updates soon
    u got anatomy class ye lucky bastard, no excuses bwhahahahahahaa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man! I dont have time to do a long reply, I just wanted to stop by and
    say that I really happy for ya! I mean your having an anatomy class
    I will kill to have one here on my country I can already see
    its paying off your caracters are looking more belivable with each
    update, ill drop by later during the weekend man, in the mid time
    KEEP ON ROCKING!!

See ya and good luck!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, your stuff is coming along nicely. Good shading and values.
    Looking foward to see more.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's still too early to comment on the WIP, but I'll say there are two things to be careful of: Right now the monster looks like it's in front of the guy, like it splatted on the picture plane; The second thing is it resembles male genitals too much, because of the ball of a shoulder. So if those two issues are revised a pretty cool picture might come of this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Minneapolis and kansas city occassionally
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

back from the grave

yo zebz, i logged on and what did i see? a new zebz page...and damnit, you're making so many improvements too. one thing i'm really noticing is that you're making way better usage of the entire page. everything on the page is really flowing together well and it looks like you're not getting quite as hung up on certain parts of the page. although, i think you could probably even limit yourself more as to how much time and detail you're putting into certain areas. your gestures are coming off a lot more fluid and dynamic than when you're filling in and giving everything so much density. when your drawings are getting fully rendered they're coming off sort of rigid and stiff and fairly round, even plump, which is all taking away from the dynamism. perhaps keeping a separate sketchbook of just quick doodles and sketches would be a good idea even. but seriously, overall, this is some of the best work i've seen out of you. that page of the eye studies and heads is really really nice, your rendering is getting way solid on those without feeling timeconsuming. they still feel very quick, and i think that if you keep working in that kind of mindset, your stuff could get even better. looking forward to seeing some more soon, good to see your stuff again in general.

-cburt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fellah: Thanks, man. It means a lot, you stoppin' by! Your work is very inspirational! I hope you comment again sometime!

Rodrigo: Yea, I'm still struggling but I think I'm growin' too. I try to do so much at once and I don't think enough when I draw, y'know? But I'm trying to keep stuff in mind more often... I just have to develop the discipline to do that. Thanks for the critz, tho. Always appreciated. And yea, anatomy class is pretty tough but I've got it and you don't! I'd better improve, huh? You keep the good stuff comin' over in your thread. You're little sketch group makes me so jealous of you freakin' Aussies. Er...

Max: Yea, anatomy class has been fun thus far! Lots of work! Thanks for the post! I'm trying my hardest to improve. I've got lots to do before I can catch up to you and all the other amazing people postin' here. Eh... I'm sucha slacker. I feel like I'm constantly fighting an uphill battle, y'know? All in due time... as always. Thanks for the encouragment, bro. You rock my balls off.

Diego: Thanks! Keep postin' on your thread as well! I'll have to stop by and check 'er out.

armando: Maybe I was wanting for it to look lake male genitals? lol Actually, you're right. I was thinking that when I was working on it. I appreciate the crits man. I'll take 'em into account when I get back at it. I haven't touched it since the last update. I have a tendency of doin' that. Most of my time has been on other things. I'll get at it tho. Thanks, man. BTW, do you have a post anywhere with your work? Just wanted to see some!

Flaskpost: Yer wish is my command!

Cburt: Thanks and thanks. Comments and critz from you are much appreciated and I couldn't agree with you more. I tend to overdue it away to often and just need to speed myself up... less noodling around would help loosen me up just there. I'm really workin' on the looseness... you'll see in this update.... I'm really trying to focus on developin' the gesture and my eye to hand skills. I need that fluidity. But, yea... I'm trying! I'm glad you're seein' some improvement up in here. I'm seeing a bit myself so it's encouraging and giving me that extra umph to really kick it up a notch and work more than ever. I feel so productive these days. That said, I can't wait for your posts... gimme some of that hot sheeet, bro. I wish you were somewhere close, I'd really dig on sketchin' with ya. Someday, someday. Right?

Now for what you've ALL been waiting for! More crap from me! Things have been going well... busy but well. I've been trying to pull myself away from drawing doodles exsclusively and try to do some stuff I can use for my portfolio and also stuff that will help me develop more. As I've said before, I struggle with looseness and gesture.... so I'm workin' on at, you'll see. Also been trying to do a bit of studies and life work for more training. I'll go through one by one, I guess and say a bit about each. I still have the occassional noodle but I'm trying to improve on many things at once really. I need growth hardcore! It's a slow process but we've all proved that this crap works so lets keep it up. So if anyone has advice, bring it on, please. I have quite a bit of work to do, that's for sure. You'll be able to tell what I'm really focusing on by the stuff I'm including below... just check it out and I'll stop gurglin' at the mouth. Thanks in advance for the comments and critz.

Ok... doodles...

Again.. doodles with some gesture-y crap towards the bottom. I tend to not think enough when I draw... this goes for doodles too. So when you crit them remember that I'm ususally just doodlin' and not thinking.... so tell me to think more when I draw... I'm an idiot. Uh....

Some gestures attempts from a samurai book...

Horrible first attempts and life gestures in forever... from internet photos... again, tend to not think when I'm laying down lines and it gets me in trouble... I feel like I'm rushing to get 'em in quick and they look like crap.

Working on figures in perspective and a little interaction. Trying to keep it simple but something I've been needing to work on for a long while. Also messing with composition/camera angles. Need to do much more of these sort of thumbnails. It helps. I learned a lot from this page.

Class doodles

Anatomy drawing notes and quick drawings from life... concentrating on pelvis, ribcage, and spine.

Quick charcoal life portrait of my roommate, Pravesh.

Went to the mall and did some gestures but everyone was walking... it pretty much sucked. I need to keep doing this tho. I just feel like I'm getting no where, messily throwing down random lines and then trying to sort through it afterwards. My visual memory is appauling as well. Did some with an ink brush and some in pencil. Their crap... help if you can.

This is an SP I'm working on from life... 18X24... Charcoal... hopefully after some time tonight I'll have the kinks worked out and this'll be finished.

And there you have it. See ya on the flipside... man scanning and getting this crap takes TIME! Eh... must rest... lol God bless.

Ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey big update. love the faces dude. perspective.. that word freaks me out.. something I need to work on, you seem to be doing fine, placing figures according to perspective is so damn hard.. meh... love the stitched head. heh

people walking past.. very quickly.. it is annoying or when they suddenly turn around or shift weight. from my short experience, a pen usually is the best meidum, and often you don't get a second chance at drawing that line you missed so try and get them right first.. meh ignore little details, concentrate on proportion, weight/balance. Sometime you get like 10~20 sec to scribble what you see, so..something like one line drawing..? Form does this well, he's the one line man.. heh.

charcoal drawing is coming along nicely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I have a sketch thread, I should probably put one of those banners like everyone else. Looks like your doing what you need to do. For life sketching it's helpful to have something to test, like planes of the head, all you need is a glimpse of a person to test the relevance of the planes of the forehead, or the truthfulness of proportions. You mentioned that you throw your lines down without thinking, but knowing the meaning of your lines is one of the most important things, it clears up your thinking. Before you put a line down you should have an idea of what you want to draw, especially when the subject is moving around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bumskee: Thanks for the post! Yea, perspective scares the daylights outta me as well. And no... I'm not handeling it so well. lol I've got so much work to do. Eh. Thanks for the gesture pep talk as well. I need it! Hopefully I'll get my rear in gear and get s'more done soon. As for the charcoal piece... well, I pretty much have been destroying and rebuilding it... see below... lol

Armando: I know... I'm suckin' hard, bro. Thanks for the critz. I'm gonna try my best to really think things out better. I just get either zoned out or rushed/scatterbrained. Gotta get cool. Maybe I should drink a bit when I draw or something. lol

Small update... I'm really struggling with this guy for some reason. If you think the last one looked a bit better, you're probaby right. I started in rendering a bit in areas and it's more refined looking as well. But I started that much to quickly. It didn't look nearly enough like me. I think this one is better. I'll know better tomorrow once I get a fresh eye on it. I'm sending this image to my GF too so she'll be able to fill me in.

I really just didn't pay much attention to the basic stuff at the start and was drawing more from my head than the mirror. I wiped out a lot and tried again for about an hour. Looked horrible. Couldn't get it. The lines were all wrong, I couldn't get it to look correct for the life of me. Took a break for an hour or so. Was gonna go to bed but it was staring me down, telling me to just give up and start a new one. But I knew that with some work I could maybe make this mother work. lol So I took off my glasses and squinted in the mirror and instead of concerning myself with the contour/line so much I focused on the shapes of bright light and dark darks. I basically just took those shapes and shaped the face using those light and dark planes... and it worked fairly well! I did a little bit of line work in a few areas but for the most part I just blocked in some simple values. Some of the other drawings are coming through but I think I like that a bit. So for tonight, the drawing at least looks quite a bit more like me and the general stuff has been refined a bit. The next time we sit down with it I'll go over the little stuff, start refining, rendering, texture, etc. Make it more finished... there are still loads of work to do but I feel as if I've really pulled this one outta the dumpster. lol So just smile with me as I endevour on. I alwas suck at drawing anything larger... so used to getting down and dirty detailed in my sketchbook. Haven't drawing much with charcoal in a while either. Anyhow... here is the WIP as it stands now. This drawing better be pretty cool when I'm done or I'm gonna scream. Ha! At least it'll be something to submit for my BFA portfolio. That's really all I need... something good enough to put in there. lol Ok. Enough with the babble. If you guys have suggestions or critz feel free. I've gotta get to bed... it's almost 4 and I've got Anatomy Drawing at 9AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn it Zebz, looks like you're really working your ass of lately I love the anatomy class sketchbook stuff. Especially the head page. It's an amazing skull sketch and the proportions study is very informative - keep em comin'

Sketchbook
    Sketch(up)book
    Blog
    Twitter
    ------------------------------------------------------
    TEAM CHOW - Nasty Sausages
    ------------------------------------------------------
    CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
    The Ocean Collective

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree man keep it up.
    Went to the mall and did some gestures but everyone was walking... it pretty much sucked. I need to keep doing this tho. I just feel like I'm getting no where, messily throwing down random lines and then trying to sort through it afterwards. My visual memory is appauling as well. Did some with an ink brush and some in pencil. Their crap... help if you can.
    lol man i can totally relate...doing gestures from life in public spaces is something ive struggled with a lot too man...just keep doing it i guess there isnt really a secret recipe for those kinds of drawings other than to keep up the hard work

cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ThirdEye: I am, dude, I am! lol It's cool that people are noticing! One of my professors singled me out the other day in a conversation. We were discussing how he worked/started finished peices and sketching and all that. I was telling him about my struggles and he basically said he thought I was doing the right thing, "During our breaks and such you're always sketching. Most drawing students only draw in class and they think that's enough but it's not, it's not healthy." He was really encouraging me. It's cool. And some of my fellow students have made some comments too. It's been an encouraging week! Heck, my GF is even starting to get a bit irritated that I spend so much time on art! lol It's a good week! lol I crashed last night tho. I pulled a few all nighters this week, getting limited sleep, drawing a whole lot (still not enough if you ask me) and last night I was supposed to be somewhere but I took a "quick" nap at 6:30 PM and before I knew it I woke up late for work at 7:15 AM. lol Ok... so maybe I need to chill out a bit. Crash and burn. It's encouraging though. I feel like I've really started to slay that laziness giant. I've never loved to draw more in my LIFE! AH! Love it. Thanks for the comments, Third Eye.

Rod: Yea... I'll probably hit the mall or something up again this weekend. I feel like I can conquer this gesture thing. I'm trying to gesture full environments and such. I'm training my eye alot, seeing how different intersecting points relates to others, etc. Rather than just focusing on one element like a chair, or a head, or a building... like tying up the entire composition and refining those portions later. I feel like I'm becoming more like an artsy artist these days. On top of my skills adapting, I'm starting to ask all this artists questions of myself and my work... man... watch out... I'm getting all crazy. Thanks for the encouragment tho. We need a good OC... I know I say that but I'm never at the PC anymore. Which can be good... Ramble. Sorry. Keep cookin' yer stuff too, bro.

Should have an update soon. I'm at work now... maybe tonight sometime. Tonight is a designated date night and since I've been neglecting the woman a bit this week I'll reluctantly leave the sketchbook at home. The things we sacrifice for pretty girls.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff here.
    First thing that popped in to my eyes was your rendering skill. You can really push contrast into your pieces. I don't so often have that kind of patience. Your live SP looks good. It is rather hard learning drawing from the mirror. I have tried couple of times but tossed every time.
    As critics I would say that your face anatomy could be more accurate. If I were you, I would draw heads with only lines without rendering or putting too much time on those studies.

Keep on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think your studies on anatomy and proportion would procceed a lot faster by not relying on your excellent rendering ability to carry the piece. get those contour lines down faster, and be stingy with them. make them count. before you make that line, ask yourself, is that really the line i want to comit to? great stuff.

aq

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So this is what you look like. I was starting to think you were the guy on your avatar (kidding) good work man. Your ear might be needing a litle work but other than that your off to a good start. Did you did some general outlines before hitting the details? A rough sketch of some sort? (I do not know the exact term) I've had loads of trouble with ears when I started and after I followed a private drawing class, I started to get better. By the way what are you studying in? I'm curious because I'm reorienting myself and I'm looking to go back to school in an artistic area.

Other than that keep your passion and stick to the basics! Everything start's with the basics.

Later.

Neoknocker

Sketches. Crits are welcomed!

CHOW Time!

“I think you do what you’re destined to do, if you follow your heart and you follow your path, then you’ll always be safe with anything that you do, including art.”
    Serj Tankian -singer with System of a Down-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello CA faithful! Nice to see some replies, thanks alot! So encouraging to get responses in these threads. The more the merrier!

maknien: Thanks! I really love to render, it's a long process sometimes but I think it's my favorite thing to do. It's just sort of mind numbing type stuff. Watching the image sort of start to get all fleshed out on the page, I really love that. But I need to hold myself back a bit. I get wrapped up in it far too much. Thanks for the critz as well. Hopefully these SP and other head studies/anatomy class will help me a bit. Check back and see!

antquin: You're exactly right. Alot of my stuff would look better if I'd just really focus on that line first. The gesture is most important part and their inaccuracies can't be masked my nice renders. Although, I think that if I can get the hang of the accurate lines and such the renders will really help. If I can just get that aspect of it down better I think my work would improve by like a 5 steps at least. lol Long road yet. But that's sort of where my concentration is lying now. Just seeing lines and how different points relate. I'm also wanting to think more compositionally since I often just draw one object and then another. I think we'll see some maturity in my work come out this school year. Lets hope. Thanks for the critz. I'm going to be trying my best to apply them. I think that's a big piece of truth to chew on.

neoknocker: Yea, I'm not Bob Ross. Just a faithful devoted follower of his cult. lol Thanks for the comments and critz. I'm trying! You do the same! I spun through your thread briefly (I'll leave a comment sometime soon, promise!) and it looked quite nice as well. Keep it up! And yea, I usually sketch an understructure/gesture type sketchy drawing first and then just let it build itself so to speak. Like push and pull the image a bit to get what I want. I'm starting to develop more of a style/technique but it's forever changing... all in do time. I'm studying for a BFA with a concentration in Drawing right now. It's more about traditional skills really. Like fine arts aspects. It's good for me tho. Good luck with your school pursuits! It's been worth it for me.

Small update... kind of a non-productive weekend. Friday night was date night which killed that evening of drawing. Saturday I spent working on freelance graphic design logo projects like this cheesy little guy I did for a youth conference thing... It's an inked sketched vectorized into Illustrator...

So then, Saturday night I went with a friend to see Coldplay which was an amazing show. I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to see a spectacular live show. It was great. I'm lookin' forward to U2 this December... mmmm... so many great shows I've seen this year. Been a good music year for me. Good stuff. So anyhow, yea then Sunday I slept a good while and did laundry and doodled a small amount while visiting my parents. Now I'm home after a stop at the GF's and tired and not drawing... Like you all really needed to know that. I felt like I needed to make an excuse. lol I guess I could have just said I've been busy, huh? lol Ok... here's some stuff to chew on.

Doodles of classmates in the dark while watching a video... tough stuff.

During breaks in drawing class I tried to gesture the surroundings quickly. I want to try and do stuff like this more. Not worry so much about it looking pristine, just capture the thing on the paper... y'know? Trains my eye I think and makes me think more about relationships of other objects, etc. Random. Look for more of this sort of stuff. Blasted oversized sketchbook... wouldn't allow me to scan all of it. Sorry. So it's partial.

All these gestures had me itchin' to draw something more fun and from my head. I started really trying to quickly sketch out a page of random crap from my head. This hasn't been completely mucked up with rendering yet but I'm sure it will over time. Here it is o far. Lines are fairly light. I used a 2H and had to darken the image a bit in PS. Again, you're missing a portion of the image as well. I think the gesture practice is paying off. These lines and anatomy are a bit better... still needs some work in areas but an improvment overall maybe? We'll see. I'll keep workin' on lines, promise! I just need to have something to noodle on when I'm tired of gesture and anatomy practice... who knows... I might tire of this soon. I talk too much.

And here's a photo of a vine charcoal drawing from class. We were supposed to use straight lines to basically find the lines in the figure. I started off kind of not wanting to do it but my half butt job actually started to turn out kind of nice. My classmates seemed to really like it. Actually looks like the girl too. Not much rendering here...

Thanks fer' lookin'. God bless. Keep creatin'.

- Ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin at ur stuff makes me miss school a bit. I remember I was drawing and working all the time when I went.. and improved by the end of the year a crapload.. but now that its been a year and a bit.. i forgot how to draw

Your stuff is pretty sweet.. ur renderings in pen are impressive. I can't really crit anything b/c everything that stands out the most has already been said, and in time you will only get better, especially with all the school work you will be doing

Do you know if you have to make a 'Final Project' for graduation at all? or is it just like.. regular classes, and perhaps each one (or a few) will have a 'Final Assignment' type thing? Just curious really.

Cheers bro-ziff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zebz...great stuff. I love your loose style of sketching. Just keep rockin and posting updates for us.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good. Keep on riding the momentum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff, zebs. i'd like to see a bit more variety on facial features. keep on rockin'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, first time i've been by...i should've stopped in sooner! Before we get to the art, just wanted to say that I caught Coldplay when they were in NY the other week and it was one of the greatest shows I've ever been to...just an amazing band. I also have tickets to U2 when they're in town, so looking forward to that naturally as well. Back to the sketchbook--This is a great body of work, and I admire the way you're attacking your craft. I especially love your studies. pickleyum made a good point about your facial features though...it kinda does seem that the same faces pop up in a lot of your sketches. Anywhoo, keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2nd book eh? don't remember the other but this ones got some nice lookin stuff in it. I like the last life drawing, for rendering life stuff you might try making things farther back in space darker as opposed to only shadow cores, I like trying to do a bit of both!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awsome update dude, coldplay???? hmmmm meh I have never been to a live show, I am probably missing out on something.. I really wanted to go and see Black eyed pea but..yeah..

Love the class drawings, I wish I did that when I was at school, draw stuff, but then again I hardly went to any classes hehe.. wasn't much of a student I guess. your lines are looking good, feeeeeel the form~ what's a vine charcoal?? is that different to willow? just curious that's all. Life drawing is nicely done, the foot sort of got lost though, the hard occassional lines works well.

nice job with illustrator. cheers dude

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.