Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Zebz's Sketchbook: One more update for the road... 1/8/09

Thanks
    AldayJ: Thanks! I love when the little boys come off well. I think cutesy cartoon kids are harder to do than you'd think! Ha! I'm glad you like the toony style. I seem to do best at it. Maybe I'm starting to find myself a bit, y'think?

Flaskpost: He was my fav of that batch. Perhaps I'll do a paint over. I'm trying to up my tablet skills anyhow. I suck with a tablet pretty hard so I need the practice. Thanks for the post, bro!

XSFXX2000 (Your name is a tongue twister! lol I don't even care if I get it right anymore. lol): I tried a bit of your idea. I actually had considered that but was afraid it made him look more like Beast from Xmen. Take a look.

Seth1: Man, all I can do is think about the workshop. Should be awesome! I gotta get good by then! lol

Qxzi: Like I said, when I get some time I'll try and explain some of that stuff better. Keep up the hard work, bro. Thining 3D is the really big key and understanding basic value. Than we have to work on our line quality... which I still blow at. Err...

ThatFatKid: Hey, man! Yea, the workshop is always at the tip of my brain. I'm so pumped about it I'm crapping Candy Corn... Or something... random. You think this is a style flowin' outta me?! I hope I'm starting to find my own. I'm getting ready to graduate man so I have to feel like I'm my own person now. lol I'm still continually reminded by my work that I have to keep workin' at those basics tho. Anyways, keep at your thread too!!!

Hyver: Thanks a ton for the 5 stars! I was a 3.89 forever! lol I'm finally at the 4.00 mark!! Heck yes! Much appreciated, mate. I love how you refered to my sketchbook as a yummy journey. lol

Guggen: You're right, but I tend to think that in the illustration arena, contrast is king. Plus I'm a big fan of those sort of works, like Carravagio's stuff, etc. If you do play up those dark cast shadows then you'll make that image pop a bit more. Doesn't have to be jet black but it should be considerably darker. But this should be noted that you should only play up these values if you're wanting to make an area more 3D or more of a focal point. I mean, I've used it alot on my life drawings. Like I'll render one area like that and others I'll leave less described. Whatev. I love cylinders in my head. That's why I included it! lol You goin' to Montreal?

KingCoyote: Love the ideas, man! Thanks for taking the time to type all of that. I tried the Red thing and thought that maybe if I used that cool blue to make the ox pop more it might do something. I experminted with it for quite a bit. I think what I came up with is pretty successful, based on your advice as well, man! Thanks a ton!! Let me know what you think.

Mentler: I'm freakin' outta my mind!!!! Thanks for comin' back around, sir.

And now this wee little update on my Ox. This isn't clean or anything. I just Photoshoped the lines and started tweaking some swatches of color in area to see what schemes I liked. So this is more like a color sketch. Hence the rough areas where it doesn't really match the form or lines, etc. It's just to get a basic idea of what I might be lookin' for. I tried to keep my colors flat but I want to do the comic book thing so I can get some variety out of what I do have. So here's the basic idea. Again, this isn't a final image, just a rough idea of what I was thinking. Plus, I think I'm gonna have to do this bastard by hand with actual paint. Ick. But I think I might scan this, paint it up in Photoshop really nice and actually it would look pretty slick on shirts and stuff. What do ya'll think?? Definately want some feedback. Thanks in advance!! More sketches coming in the days to come!

EDIT** Greensock: I changed the horns... I really agree with that comment on the warm tones. Hopefully this is better.

Zebz's Sketchbook: One more update for the road... 1/8/09
    Last edited by Zebz; January 29th, 2006 at 08:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ooh went in a nice direction with the blue! Maybe try a slightly deeper blue, like ultramarine, to see how it goes with the orange.
    Also, I'd prefer if his horns werent such a warm tone, they seem to belong more to the background than to the character.
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Hey man! So much new stuff, you've made awesome progress. Your forms are looking really solid, I especially like the guy on the top left corner of sb119.jpg. Lots of personality. I also love the ox movement sketches. The only crit on the colored ox is maybe to try some more slight hue variation, the blue looks a bit monotonous. Maybe introducing a bit of the surrounding color to some of the figure areas, subtlely. I dunno. You are doing awesome. I don't think I'm going to be able to go to the workshop... : (
    But its gonna be an awesome experience, can wait to see the pictures! : P

Cheers

Thanks
    Really nice job on the long-awaited tutorial will be a handy reference for lots of us.

Love the fat boyz, and the colors on the ox are very striking, well done...

Thanks
    You're really good man. I love the expessions on some of these. Nice pencil work too, very impressive. Looking forward to more.

Thanks
    Hey,

oooooo, colour Really good thinking with the blue. I like the bleams( the orange stuff on the yellow wall). Overall I really like it.

Ill be back, so keep on posting and drawing!

Qxzi

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments, I'll reply when I get s'more time. It's nearly 4AM and I just finished this Kite illustration for my Illustration class tomorrow. I'm not entirely happy. I left some bleed room for text if I wanted and for trimming purposes when cropping for the Kit. If I had it my way as far as an illustration, I'd put the hole and the ox off to the side more and let the yellow and orange radiate out at an angle, like speedlines in a manga almost. And I'd make more debris flying out at us, not just close to the hole. But because of the Kite design I kept it as is. We can discuss it more later, it's good enough to turn in. I don't know if it's really good enough to bother to continue working on for portfolio material. What do you guys think? My tablet skills are seriously lacking. Being sleepy and overworked doesn't help. But it's color and that's something coming from me. lol Crit and comment, please! Again, sorry I can't get to the replies. Bed time for now. I'll get some replies tomorrow evening. I have sketches too... just haven't had time to scan. Later... later... lol

Zebz's Sketchbook: One more update for the road... 1/8/09

Thanks
    hey there,

i like that newer stuff better the guy with the head,
    he has noce contrast in value ,i see in your earlier stuff that your shading turns out very flat.
    its lost of humps and bumps but very symetrical it seems.
    you define every muscle (hump) with a hint of highlight and surround it with darker.
    think more about the direction the light in comming from and where it would hit the shapes.. you'll see that mostly the lit/shaded areas are much larger.
    there is far more contrast beweeen them.
    There is the lit side with its subtle shades and the dark shadow side with its dark shades.
    your shadows and highlights are the same value all over the characters.
    making them look so flat.

also keep the noise down al little.. you have lots of light bumps in the shadow sections that destroy the overall value.
    keep it up
    i see cool stuff here
    cheers,
    wi2

sketchbook

Thanks
    that last one looks great man!
    but with that big orange and yellow background, there should be some orange and yellow light bouncing around.

Thanks
    Sup Zebz. I like what you've done with the ox. I was impressed when I first saw the colored version, but even more impressed after you changed things around a bit. Sock's crit was dead on about the color of the horns, and i'm liking how the ox itself isn't as flashy, almost like it's done in colored pencil. I see what you're saying about putting the ox offcenter too, it'd be interesting to see a mock version of that. The speedlines would be a nice touch. Cheers!

Thanks
    in the illustration arena, contrast is king.
    rightly spoken good sir!!!

that ox illustration is Babe-o-licious! (yeah i realize that it's zodiac ) go Zebz go! the design reminds me of the kind of high-key color schemes like you see on like cereal boxes or laundry detergent--they're like pop songs for the eyes! only "Ass-pat to the bone" this time!

joel

Thanks
    Hello there! Yeah, I learned some new tricks from the toot and the closeups. Ox crits: The main thing detracting from the impact of the pic is that you didn't take advantage of size differences caused by perspective. The shoulders are the same size, the hooves are the same size. Overlapping the background is really all that's preojecting him forward. Oo. <-- look at my cool receding os. Size difference can accomplish a sense of space without overlapping, overlap takes it to the next level.
    Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Hey,
    Like the overall product zebz. Good Job. Hope you get a good mark A star all the way!

Qxzi

Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast