Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Zebz's Sketchbook: One more update for the road... 1/8/09

Thanks
    WOW
    LIONEL RICHIE REFERENCE IN THE TITLE OF YOUR SKETCHBOOK! NICE!!!
    MORE LIONEL:
    "Hellllllo: Was it Zebzfree your looking for..."
    "Well I (guggenmaneuver:-) know not how to draw,
    well i haven't got a clue,
    let me start by saying, I love
    http://ryanbowlin.com/Sketchbook/sb113.gif..." (cue dramatic sax solo)

and the combination of ink and pencil on one page makes me feel like dancing on the ceiling! This is inspiring because it challenges me to develop my skills in both ways of working.

one crit i might add is that it seems like the character concept (woman in some kind of space suit?) might benefit from a more natural standing pose. granted this is obviously just kind of a study. i'm totally impressed with what i see going down here zebzee. keep up the good progress and thanks for dropping by the old skrawl tome dood. can't wait to see more.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Heh. Sorry I didn't comment sooner...you slipped one by me again

Love all the eyes, and they seem to be mostly on the same level this time. Personality in all the faces again, that's good...

Harry is very recognizable, and I think the figure on the can is very well-drawn.

The Chow woulda been cool...my favorite sketch is the one on the upper right on the first page. The full-body-was-going-to-be-rendered one looks kinda stiff, sort of like the arms aren't connected naturally and there's something off on the hips...liked the earlier full-body sketch more, even though the pose was less interesting.

Great rendering as usual. What sort of pencils do you use?
    Life drawings look good...how much time did you have on those?

Thanks
    Ryan, the portrait from Victor's class is amazing. I really can't believe the tones you are getting to shape the figure. Great stuff.

Thanks
    Great stuff man!! Love the anatomy studies on sb108.jpg, they are looking more loose and less rigid without loosing the sense of form. Do more of these, I think these things really sink in the more of them you do.

The only crit I have is that, while there is a lot of personality to your characters, they don't seem to be interacting with each other on the pages. I would love to see more character interactions, maybe include an enviornment to add perspective.

I had a feeling you liked wes's stuff . It was more evident in the first pages of the sketchbook, but I think you are exploring more your own directions with the more you post. I don't mean that as an insult, more like a crit (with an underlining compliment really), don't be afraid of pursuing your own interests and making your own discoveries, while you study artists you like. One does not exclude the other, so, do both

Hope I could get my point across without sounding too much like a jerk.

Cheers man, hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks
    damn mate! this page´s update is great! loving your figure drawings. keep feeding me. =)

Thanks
    You're such an inspiration. Every time I come here there's something new. Those nude drawings are beautiful, but (you're porpably gonna hate me for this) the one i like the most is the fourth page on the december 17th post, especially the guy with the glasses. The line quality is in overall great on that page. I am sucker for thicker "contour" lines. Thank you for the advice you gave me a while back. Hope to get more of that from you cause your advice seems always well thought. And of course it's always great to get advice from people who's skills I respect a great deal.

Thanks
    Hey Ryan-
    Either Private message me or call me okay?
    I've misplaced your phone #
    Later-
    Lloyd
    Ok- here it is: my stuff. -xsfx2000
    Here is the cool place I work at: Robot Monkey Lab
    ... (Special Effects & other cool stuff...)

Thanks
    Wow! There's a lot of really good stuff here. Sorry, I don't have much to say about it right now... I'm supposed to be getting to work right now. I'll give you a hollar later.

I really like the rendering on your faces... very nice. I did notice though that you kind of froze up on your battle angel final render. Were you just working on a smaller scale? That's a problem I have, the larger drawings just allow more space to work. Anyway, great work.

I gotta go to work now.
    later.
    Kingcoyote
    You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Hey hey,

Lovin the update, i just love your faces. Those inky faces i love the most, great. The one below that, that guy, it looks like hes got a small head with a long body, lol, thats all i can say for that Your still lifes look nice. Do more! And, i noticed that you did a little prepective peice in on of your doodle drawings. They look quite good, do some more of them too! How about a spash of paint? I would really love what your paintings are like now !!

Thanks
    Yo, yo, yo. Thanks for the replies peoples. You guys shouldn't reply so much! I'll start thinking that you like me or something!

Armando: Thanks, mate. Yea, I think I know what you're talking about with the contours. It's strange, when drawing from life I don't focus much on contour but my drawings rely a lot on it. I need to do some pen oriented studies where I just follow the forms. Maybe this Christmas sometime. We shalt see.

FatKid: Yea, bro, we'll definately have to organize something. No pressure tho. We'll figure it out. Screw that Armando, there'll be plenty of man love for him in SanFran. He can miss out on our little boy on boy action. Heh. It'd be cool if we could have a weekend of like sketchery with like 5 or 6 dudes at least. Maybe we should enlist the Chicagoians? We'll see. Thanks for the critz. You're right. You always are.

NoFish: Yea, fruitful week for things other than art. Same as this week actually. Been catching up with old friends too. Plus me and the girlfriend have been going out with her friends and stuff. I should just bring a small sketchbook along with me but these non-art people get creeped out by my constant sketching. lol Hopefully I'll get a kick in the arse. Thanks for comin' back!

NeoNocker: Yea, man, those shows were really great. I am inspired and feeling like watching tons of movies so that slows me down. lolI'll get some drawing done this weekend done for sure. I'll make myself bring a SB along to all the family stuff. MUST DRAW! You keep it up too!!

Mentler: Always a pleasure, man! Thanks a lot for the critz! I really need the help. I'll see if I can't get more facial studies out. Maybe devote a page to different faces and angles. Might actually look kind of cool!! Thanks for the support and help! You keep on inspiring us and we'll keep working!

TaxMan: Yea, I've been doing this for a bit of time. It's the coolest thing to see your work develop. Especially when you start getting in a rut. You can just do a little backtracking and then see how your work has moved forward. Than you're like, "Well, I guess if I do it for another year I'll be even further a long!!" You should see some of the really earlier stuff. lol It's like night and day. I hope you do come back!

MagicMan: Thanks a lot! It means a lot coming from you. I really love and admire your work quite a bit! That single post gave me quite a bit of inspiration! Thanks for doing a boy some good! You keep at it as well! Lookin' for some mad updates from you, Magic! But I will say that not all of us can use our bodies for anatomy practice, lol. Bastard. Always a step ahead. Ha!

Guggenmannuever: I think I spelt your name wrong. lol Anyhow, thanks for the song! I was laughing my balls off with that post. Yea, I've been in sort of a "Hits of Yesteryear" mood. lol I have so many musical tastes and sometimes I listen to the old stuff when I find myself hungry for my childhood or cheesy love music. lol I can't get away from my roots, can I? Suburban American White kid. Tough. Glad you like my thread. I'm trying, I'm trying. Hopefully you'll see better stuff in the future. Oh and on the CHOW, she's like descending or floating down to the ground. The rest just isn't finished. But I'll admit, it needs the help of another pose.

Max1975: Thanks! Yea, lots of work to do yet to get to the level I want to be at. I feel like I half ass so much. I draw only when I really want to. lol Anyways, I'll keep at it if you do. Thanks for the comments and critz. I'll take 'em into the ol' drawing storage bank in my head!! As for pencils, I think I answered this in the last post somewhere... check out my response to BLKN in the last batch. As for time, the first one, nearly 2 hours or so. And the other ones I barely spent any time. Near the end of the semester I'd scrawl on the page a bit and then find myself out of the class wandering. lol Loosin' that intensity. Dork, eh?

ATLAS2900: But I prefer the tones I get all over your body when I'm givin' you that sweet lovin'.

Brok3knSpirit: Yea, I agree with you on the artist thing. I try to copy some stuff (usually don't post that stuff) very rarely to see if I can figure out how they're getting certain looks or effects. Sometimes that stuff sinks in. It's good. We learn from one another. But I definately have to do my own work, I think I am. There's definately a Zebz look going on in here, I think. I'm just taking aspects I like and making them work for me. Thanks for the comments. I'm trying to kick it up a notch for the childrenz. You keep at it too!

Flaskpost: You must be malnourished lately. lol

Placeboast: Hey, thanks! It's so cool to have someone be encouraged by my work. As I've said before. Yea, the more cartoonier stuff often comes much more naturally and I have pretty good results with it. You'll get more fo that in the future, promise. Thanks for continually stoppin' in, mate. It means alot.

KingCoyote: Thanks! I'm glad you liked. Yea, I like to render stuff. It's fun and mind numbing. lol And you're right about the Battle Angel. I was thinking that when I was working on it, I just couldn't get into those places I wanted to, it was too small. Oh well. Lesson learned, I suppose. Back to the drawing board! Hope to hear from you soon!! Keep updating your SB too!

Qxzi: Good to see you rollin' thru here again!! Welcome! Everyone likes those inks, strange, strange. They just seem messy and inconsistant to me. Must be a Cotron bug or something. lol You nailed the perspective thing too. I need to do enviroz and I don't more than often. Same is true of paints. I need some color in this thread. I'll get ya'll some soon when I get some time. Thanks again for posting!!

Ok, well, this is sort of a half arsed update. Sorry. Another week of just work and visiting with friends. Lack of drawing. I've been starting on the Christmas presents tho. I've got a partially finished charcoal portrait of my dog for my parents sitting on my drawing desk (it's like 18X24 or something) and I'm also working on this Harry Potter illustration for my girlfriend. I don't know if I'll get these done by my Dec. 25 deadline. lol I lack the desire to do any of 'em! Ha!But I thought I'd at least post the Harry Potter progress. I don't like the composition really. I changed it a lot from my original idea due to the lack of time. I originally wanted the want to be lighting up and illuminating on a scared Harry face. The owl was to be perched on his shoulder and in the background they were in like a midevil sewer or something with the faint image of that big snake in the background. That would have been cooler. lol Maybe later. I just wanted to keep this simple for the lack of time. I think it's lookin' pretty nice so far tho. Lots of work yet to do. No other sketches to post. Sorry. I know I've been a horrible example. Don't whip me too badly.

That said, hope ya'll have a great holiday!! I'll try and get another update when I get these bad boys finished. 'Till then! God bless and Merry Christmas!!

Zebz's Sketchbook: One more update for the road... 1/8/09

Thanks
    Hi, man !

As for the digital stuff, I rarely work digital anymore. I suck at drawing with that freaking tablet. lol
    Exactly what I was thinking when I start drawing with the tablet !

But I suppose that's why I need to work with it more.
    Exactly the only advice that I can told you. Start slowy, just draw shapes, play with the settings and different render. You probably need some times to have some good sensations with it. But keep practice, drawing. Tablet is fine, but basics first... Something I need to do more myself, ha-hem !

Thank you for the lasy drawing and... man, really... MERRY CHRISTMASS, DUDE !!!
    Julien
    Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    rest assured, spellin tha gmanure is UNSANE.... so you can call me joel

i hope yr christmas is ZEBZfree and easily easy like sunday morning.
    SHEWT WAIT A SECOND: christmas ACTUALLY IS ON sunday morning this year! (cue: pointless revelation theme.) at work we have "Lionel richie thursdays" in the artist room. prolly my favorite song is "say you say me," as it has both prominent synth, cheesy druma drama, AND the psychedelic "I had a dream, i had an awesome dream" dreamy twist.

-joel

Thanks
    Alday J: Thanks, man. I'll get at some tablet stuff. I've been toyin' with it but can't get anything I want out of it. I suppose I should start posting that stuff. Can't be any worse than the other crap I dish out in this thread. Heh. A Merry Christmas to you as well, mate.

Guggen: There. Shortened it. lol I'm really glad that someone else holds a deep appreciate and sentiment for soft pop rock of eras long past. lol Keep holdin' the candle high, my main man.

Ok. Should be drawing. I'm not gonna have these done. I screwed around doing other stuff all day. lol I will finish 'em tho. Santa might not be able to deliver tho. Instead I watched some TV, cleaned, and dug thru some photos. Came up with these two chalk drawings I did on the sidewalk at a community college here in STL this summer. Kind of ridiculous. But actually turned out kinda neat. Thought I'd post 'em for ya'll to see.

And then I thought I'd give ya'll a bit of a Christmas presents... pictures of me! Heck yes, I did. This is my sketchbook thread and I'll post whatever I please!! The first is a few years old but it's prolly the best picture ever taken of me. I look glorious. Here's a little Christmas tempation for ya'll. I don't think Janet looked this good. Don't hurt yourselves.

Here's me at a wedding with a guy I've come to know as "The Chad". He's a pretty big boy. I'm 6 feet tall I push around 260lbs so he's a real beast of a man. Someday he'll be my life partner. God willing. lol That was a joke. *AHEM* Losing... dignity... with each post... oh well. Not like I had much anyhow.

Here's "The Chad" and I doin' the dirty, tearin' up the dance floor. Yea, the picture blurred because we just move to damn fast, heck yea. An indicator of things to come? Perhaps. lol

Me getting arrested for... well... those days we're short lived. I think I made $7.50 that night... that homeless guy sure was nice to give that 50 cent tip.

And finally, my trutle companion saving me from certain death after a long battle with a foe. He's carrying me back to my castle and residence in Gallapogos. What a faithful steed.

There you have it. Merry Christmas. lol Me, Baby, Meeeee.....

Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast