Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Zebz's Sketchbook: One more update for the road... 1/8/09

Thanks
    I don't see a crappy update. I see an artist pushing through *something*. Just keep pushing and trust yourself, man.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey man, really sorry I haven't stopped earlier, I've been slacking like a mutherf*cker : S

I really like sb103.jpg! But I'm going to give you the same crit you gave me some time back
    It looks scribbly, but not too scribly. The problem isn't the scribbly-ness because you have a good sense of form and it shows. What I think its lacking is more rythm. I can't really explain this, hell even Loomis talks funky about it. But you can read his comments on it on page 41 of "Drawing the Head and Hands", here and here in case you don't have it printed. Its only 2 pages, if you haven't read it, I urge you to do it, its invaluable stuff.

By the way, are you going to the next workshop? I'm dying to go and I don't know if I cant get the money but I'm gonna try like hell.

Cheers man, I already said this to other people, but only because I mean it:
    dont ever give up. Keep the desire burning.

Cheers

Thanks
    Hey Z, thkx for coming by my SB. I dig your renderings and pencils man, you have the right idea on how to get the right outcomes without too much saturation or excesive details.

Keep it up yo!
    Each one, teach one. P e a c e

VS

Check out My Sketchbook

Latin & Spanish Group

Thanks
    I was just looking at this that also deals with rythm, I dont know if you've seen it. I'm gonna start trying to study this stuff, I think it could give a lot of vitality and more flow to figures.

Thanks
    Dang it.

I just replied to all those comments and then erased the bastards by hitting the wrong button. Grrr. Ok. I'll respond to ya'll later, ok? I'm just going to get some work up and then I'll re-issue the replies. Man, I hate that. I do that all the time!!!

My first week off of school hasn't been very fruitful. I've either been haning with friends, going to concerts (saw U2 - amazing and I've got some Ben Folds coming tonight), working or sleeping all day. Slacker. I have manged to scribble a bit so I'll just post what I've got. It ain't much. I need to get on some of these Christmas present drawings so I'll be focusing on those now. I've been really procrastinating as usual. So be looking for those in the next update. On with my dump.

Just some inky scibbles.
    Zebz's Sketchbook: One more update for the road... 1/8/09
    More inky scribbles but this time they're out of my Bridgman book... with added stuff... boring.
    More doodles.
    Ink doodles. Was going to really work on this page with random things but got bored. Really messed up the Harry Potter lookin' dude's nose. No undo with ink, kids.
    Yesterday I took Ferg's request semi-serious so I started working on this week's ChOW design. I just toyed with a few ideas and tried to make it semi original instead of an actual angel. This check is like a futuristic soilder who is in like the "Angel Division" or whatever. They fly around with these robo wings and jet pack type things. Just threw down some ideas and went with it.
    Started on a better image but lost interest because I knew I didn't have time to finish it before entry into the CHOW thing. Plus the composition isn't exciting to me. Just proved to myself again that I need more figure practice and work on perspective. I had good intentions I suppose. I had to stop tho. I have to start working on those Xmas presents.. lol

Ok, now here's a funny on to show you how I "improved" this semester in one of my drawing classes. The first one is the very first drawing we did in the class way back in August. My teacher collected them and gave them back at the end. Than I included my last two drawing from class. lol I think we can see I went from caring to not caring at all. lol My teacher thinks I'm loosening up tho even though I was really running out of steam by the semester's end. He actually liked the newer ones better. The first is a much better drawing tho. lol Kind of funny and sad at the same time.

That's all for now. Thanks for commenting. I'll be sure to hit those up with replies ASAP. Have a great weekend and happy drawing to ya!

Ryan

Thanks
    Just looked through your sketchbook. That was fun. Great imagination. I love those pages tht are completely filled.
    Please stop by my new Anatomy Sketchbook and critique the hell out of it.

"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."- Mario Andretti

My Blog (Cartoony stuff)

My Illustration Website

Thanks
    Ok... the replies I promised. Sorry, again. I do appreciate all of the replies and encouragment! It's awesome to see all of the commentary! I was popular this past week!

AldayJ: Thanks! I'm really glad you liked the chick. The more refed stuff the better. I need to do more. As for the digital stuff, I rarely work digital anymore. I suck at drawing with that freaking tablet. lol But I suppose that's why I need to work with it more. I'll get some up soon for ya.

Max1975: Bro, thanks a ton for all of the helps. I appreciate you taking the time to actually write out all those helpful comments! I'll definately try and take some of your advice into account next time I find myself trying to sort of out figures and such. There are so many ways to approach drawing the figure, it's tough. But if we can get it than we should be able to do anything, right?! Keep at your stuff too. Together we'll all make some great strides, I'm sure!

Loomer: Thanks for the reassurance and encouragment. I think you're right. You can definately tell when I get my draw on and when I'm just screwing around. I just do more of the screwing around. lol I'm glad you like the tree God guy. He's one of my favs as well. Maybe I should take some of these ideas I've jotted down and work them into full blown concepts. Good idea.

Blkn: Glad you like my SB. As for pencils, I really like the Staedtler's but I have several that brands that I bought to experiment with. I still like the later more tho. As for leads I usually stay within a 2H - 2B range. I really use the HB's the most tho. I also use various mechanical pencils which are great for details and stuff. Good luck!!

NoFish: Thanks for stoppin' in, mate! Great to see you in here again. Your stuff is looking awesome as of late as well! I'm proud to say I've known you on these boards for so long! I remember when we were just lowly Middle Class kids! Heh. Thanks for the tip. My faces are bothering not just everyone else but me as well. I'll hit up those studies. Thanks, bro.

Madplanet: Thanks! It's a cool thing to do with prelim drawings as well using pencils. Loosens things up quite a bit. Although it does kind of bring out your weak areas since you seem to be drawing so much from your sub concious at times. Good little study tool tho. Creates some interesting results. Give it a go!

Bumskee: Thanks! Thanks for keepin' us all inspired on your thread!

Armando: I wrote "Study this area" or something like that under there. Thanks for the helps with figures and my character concepts. Always nice to have some extra tools in the box when I approach the figure. The more ways to do it the better. Thanks a ton for your help! You keep at it, ok?! Oh, and regarding "energy" in figures and such, I think it means like that sort of fluid, life like nature, y'know? Like there's a sort of "movement" rather than a static image like a rock. It's something I really struggle with a lot.

NeoNocker: I know, I know. I really need to get on some more studies. Thanks for the reminder, man. I need all the kicks in the arese I can get. Keep workin' hard yourself!

XSFX2000: Loyd, thanks for such an encouraging post, bro. I woke up one morning and downed that mug and it just made me feel so much better. I'd love to help you with some concepts some time if I get some free time! We definately need to hook up sometime soon. I miss all of my Meramec compadres. I'll be there for a class on Saturday next semester, Computer animation, actually. I'm lookin' forward to it. I hope you're doing well! Call me sometime!! Anyhow, I guess I cant' complain anymore after that post... heh... thanks again, man.

Comixnut: Thanks! It's always great to know someone is being inspired by the stuff I piss all over these pages. Keep at your work too!!

oODaveOo: Hey! I'll be looking forward to those updates! Glad you're liking the progress. There's at least a little bit!

Ferg: I agree that we sketch a bit a like. Perhaps we're long lost brothers? Do you have only one testacle too? Heh. Just kidding. I really like your sketchbook too. Keep at it! And yea, you can definately tell what pages I'm actually drawing and working on and those that I just pimp slap with random crap. I need to do more of the work stuff rather than just dumpin' all over the place. I love to hack at the pages. lol I've been meaning to do more concept drawings and had a bit in the update above. Hopefully it'll get the ball rolling. Thanks for stoppin' in!

BenGonzalez: Thanks! Yea, me like some rendering. Hopefully it'll get better and better as I press on. We'll see! Glad you liked your stay in Casa la Zebz! Or something.... heh...

TheFatKid: To leveling up together! I can't believe you're so freakin' close to me. We definately need to do up a CA.org meetup sometime. I think I already posted this, but do you know any others? I know like no one in STL. It's sad, really. Thanks for the encouragment. Good to know I ain't alone. Heh. I'm working, I'm working.

Lazy: Thanks for the compliments! Just keep at it and you'll be catching up in no time at all!

Shinryu: Yea, thank, I need to do more of those. They always turn out decent. I appreciate the comments!

timpaatkins: Aw... not the color thing again... lol I suck with it. I'll see what I can do tho. I really need the practice. Everyone's always calling me out on it. Heh. Thanks for the reminder!

Van: Thanks, man. Push I shall.

Bro3knSpirit: Great helps, mate. Thanks a ton! I'll definately take some of those things into the old drawing noggin'. I'll have to read some of the stuff you provided when I get some time. Good, good stuff. Here's to us leveling up together! Here! Here!

As for the workshop, yea, I think I'm gonna try. I'm almost 99 % sure I'll be there. I've missed the last like 3 because of stuff and I'm setting aside the money and time for this one. I'll be there most likely. Hope you get to go, bro! It'd be awesome to have our sketch group together to work there.

JtheAnswer: Glad you like 'em! I'll keep drawing! You keep postin'! Your stuff is lookin' mighty nice as well. Keep at it!

Crazy3DMan: Thanks! I like those the best too. I need more of that. I'm glad you enjoyed your browse!

Phew! Alright... there's my replies... until next time... thanks for everything! God bless.

Ryan

Thanks
    Fatkid! Don't meet up with him man, he's trying to kidnap you! teehee. You should have just finished that battle angel, I'm gonna try and finish one, got about 7 hours left. I'll agree, I like the first charcoal more than the newer two. What I find lacking in them is contour, the contours are too simplified, there should all kinds of subtle bumps from bones and muscles. Try some boring Niccolaides contour exercises, they're worth it.
    Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ZebzFree
    My first week off of school hasn't been very fruitful. I've either been haning with friends, going to concerts (saw U2 - amazing and I've got some Ben Folds coming tonight), working or sleeping all day. Slacker.

Ryan
    Sounds like a fruitful week in my opinion. Exept from the sleeping all day part. You're drawing way more than I do. No need to stress it. Just keep at it and enjoy it. Taking small breaks now and then won't kill you. Stress will.
    Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Great work. I really like the charcoals. Your coming great. Ikeep working hard when I have a moment. I'll be on vacation soon. Four days to go starting monday. Then relax for a whole week.

Enjoy the break. It may be inspiring after you rested a little. And you'll get alot of ideas coming after those shows.
    Neoknocker

Sketches. Crits are welcomed!

CHOW Time!

“I think you do what you’re destined to do, if you follow your heart and you follow your path, then you’ll always be safe with anything that you do, including art.”
    Serj Tankian -singer with System of a Down-

Thanks

‡‡‡‡‡ BackBoNe ‡‡‡‡‡

Have not looked forever <> great variety here <> try getting a little more tilt and attitude in your faces <> I think this is a strong area for you and can get stronger quick if you work with the angles a little more <> a little tilt adds a lot

Thanks for your visit <> always good to hear from you

Thanks
    Great book you have here, I really enjoyed flipping through the pages (and your old sb as well). I didn´t have time to see it all yet, but the progress you´ve made and all the work you´ve put in there is truly inspiring. I love the first charcoal from your last post (and the others are good too). Keep up the good work, I´ll get back here to see your other drawings when I´ve got more time on my hands.

Thanks
    wonderfully creative thread, obviously there are areas to be improved, but nothing that experience wot fix. carry on soldier.

Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast